Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Serialisation is one thing, keeping up with current events is another thing, but trying to do both at once was a recipe for disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It seems like they're in 'throw poo poo at the wall' mode since the last season went off the rails. Which is disappointing, they've had a year or so and no shortage of inspiration.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't mind the political episodes per se but I didn't like season 20 where that was all they did. I liked the good old days when sometimes they did wacky crazy bullshit and sometimes they did politics. My favorite episode is Casa Bonita because of how happy Cartman is to go to Casa Bonita.

The fun part is that apparently Casa Bonita exists and is exactly like it is portrayed in the show. Divers and all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It figures that it takes two boys literally pretending to be in a homosexual relationship for them to make an effort to emotionally support each other and help with their issues. I'm not sure if that's even on purpose, but there's some commentary right there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ChesterJT posted:

That's not true at all. Most were placed 1900-1915.

...still well after the Civil War, and during the golden age of the Klan.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Never thought I'd hear 'and you are lynching negroes' almost exactly inverted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a reason there's a whole bunch of statues memorialising Confederate soldiers put up in large numbers at the same time all over the country, especially in Union areas, or places that were basically forced violently into supporting the Confederacy. Also a reason why plenty of them are cheap scrap metal that are easily destroyed by protesters.

It doesn't help that I'm a bit culturally separated from the context, but the Columbus Day episode seemed nearly incoherent. I definitely sympathise with the kids in not really caring what a holiday started from as long as it's a day off, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well yeah. But in this case oddly enough I think South Park is taking on the issue too early, before we've had a chance to see how it shakes out, and had to pad the episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I was expecting the DNA test to come back 'You're a direct descendant of Columbus'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As I said; ongoing storylines and continuity are one thing, highly topical episodes are another. But both at once, based on ongoing real life events they have no control over, were a recipe for disaster.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Somewhere between Kung-Pow tier incredibly bad dub job and hokey anime villain. And Zuckerberg's entire shtick of being like an alien who learned everything about humanity from commercials.

Seems pretty on the nose how Facebook literally refuses to do anything about... anything as long as the perpetrators pay them a buck.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He's like a vampire that way.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's something to be said about the theme of powerful public figures who respond to criticism and pleads with nothing but baffling nonsense while continuing to benefit from the suffering of others, and nobody else with power is willing to take any action whatsoever to stop it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Khagan posted:

My understanding of the whole 'Unblockable Zuckerberg' thing was this.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-why-you-cant-block-mark-zuckerberg-on-facebook-2017-9?IR=T

Didn't the same thing happen on these very forums? I think we might have found what happened to radium.

Rhyno posted:

So it's a Trump thing.

The sad thing is he's not the only one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The race slider indicates how NPCs in the game treat you, apparently, which may or may not have some added mechanical effects (they don't give you stuff when they otherwise might, maybe?) but is separate from the difficulty levels.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chuck E Cheese with vomit exploding out his ears is a classic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Episodes like this it becomes clear why the boys keep Cartman around; because occasionally he has a stroke of genius.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also on the Hummel figurines; King of the Hill had them (or an obviously fictional analogue) as a coping mechanism for Hank's mother.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The nursing home presented as a prison is something I can't help but think might not be too far from reality in some places. For the cheap ones anyway. Or hell, any community where you have little more to do than make each others' lives hell for something to pass the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cartman's suffering is deserved and yet relatable. People who have no respect for other people's time are the worst, I was raised by one. (I dunno about it being a woman thing, since I've known plenty of women who get their poo poo together ASAP and are usually the ones bugging me to get ready)

The metaphor was pretty confused. Also I bet we're going to get people having real Witch Weeks now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not to mention the bit at the end where she was taking forever to get around to exiting the witch's magic bag.

I think everyone knows someone exactly like this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heidi is pretty much an extension of Cartman's new performative wokeness as a woman he can constantly praise and kowtow to, of course he's going to start burning up with rage when the fad wears off and he's stuck in a relationship where he's been pretending to be something he's not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I knew from the gaining weight part that Cartman is slowly turning Heidi into a female version of himself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The end has her becoming racist, because it gives her an easy out to blame someone else for her own problems and her own bad decisions. Like Cartman, everything else can be someone else's fault, and she never has to accept any fault herself, because there's always another excuse, always a scapegoat.

Also a bit lol that Cartman goes 'I know what it's like to be oppressed now! Where do I sign up to display my totally righteous anger at the world!?'. As badly as the creators have fumbled some recent phenomena, that seems pretty on point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Totally called Heidi becoming a female version of Cartman.

There's something very fitting about him having to suffer what he puts everyone around him through.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I liked the season 1 callback gag with the four girls at the bus stop.

Actually might be interesting if they do some perspective-swap episodes with the girls. Though not sure who their Kenny would be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tiny houses are absolutely trailers for hipsters.

Crustpunks that have upgraded to cosplaying trailer trash.

Trailer punks.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of how the goth kids were played a little bit as an alternate but comparable group to the main four, with the fat girl being the Cartman, and the crazy little kid probably the Kenny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think people forget how much Cartman adds to the show's formula. He's not just the horrible person who represents the worst viewpoint and opinion, of the main boys he's the most proactive and usually the one who brings to their attention whatever the hell happens to be going on, as well as whatever weird whim has gotten his attention. Cartman's known to put a ton of effort towards whatever actually gets his interest, and usually takes the lead or an otherwise pro-active role in whatever activity they're doing, like the fantasy LARP or the superhero play, even if it gets away from him. He's the one who made an effort to become an outspoken male feminist and pro-social justice advocate solely because he can indulge his egotism and attack people while maintaining the moral high ground, and is the whole catalyst for Heidi's arc of becoming more like him because of the immediate rewards and self-indulgence. The boys wouldn't do a whole hell of a lot without him. (and when they do, like Stan's anti-bullying crusade or the thing with crack baby football, it's even pointed out that they start acting like Cartman)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They do kinda look like weird alien pigs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TheFattestPat posted:

I get the meta joke, but is anyone else concerned about how much Terrence & Phillip aged out of nowhere?

I think that is very metaphorically relevant. Possibly for Matt and Trey. And in general it probably works for a ton of celebrities who are still doing their thing way past their prime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Canadian prams have square wheels, ha.

I'm not sure if it's relevant that old man farts have real potency.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 30, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cartman and Heidi fighting becoming the school's newest form of public entertainment seemed so right.

Otherwise not sure what they're going for, aside from Kyle turning into his mother having the obvious comparison to modern woke types calling for censorship with no idea they're playing with fire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm guessing this episode makes a lot more sense if you've seen It and/or Stranger Things. I vaguely get the It references but not the Stranger Things ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The adults' reaction to finding the Principals in the woods seems like a reference to something, though I may be overthinking it?

Also, it feels like forever since we've seen Jimbo, and weird to see him without Ned.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

To be fair, only one of those three songs was a real song.

Super Bowl Shuffle and Pac Man Fever were both novelty/gimmick songs. They aren't truly representative of 80s music.

Gloria was a big hit, though.

Gimmick songs are as representative as anything, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

R Kelly

That was more funny after actually watching Trapped In The Closet. Well, most of it. I got bored after one episode was basically just a recap of the previous episode. It really was a Hip-Hopera.

• Locked thread