Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Ayatollah declaring a Fatwa on Larry is the funniest thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The whole joke about Larry making a play about Salmon Rushdie is hilarious on its own. Then they crank it up to 11 with that stuff. Comedy gold.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

mcmagic posted:

That episode had some VERY funny moments but it also felt dated and from another era and didn't land the ending. Also, an old white guy walking around being an rear end to people resonates a little differently in a world where Trump is the president....

With one exception literally every president has been an old white dude.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Honestly, the first joke in the episode "Dear Ayatollah" had me cracking up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I can't believe HBO thought this transphobic joke was acceptable in tyool 2017

but I guess they've always been the "edgy" comedy channel

*wanders into the CYE thread*

Hey guys what's with all these politically incorrect jokes!

bbf2 posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that this episode was kinda bad and a little bit TOO tonally off?

The fact that you're having a lot of this take place at a funeral of an 18 year old kid is extremely morbid....which is OK with me, but you need to be willing to commit to the dark comedy of it all completely if you want to go there. Just having it set there and then having random unrelated wacky hijinks ensue was a little unsatisfactory. It just feels like there was a lot more they could have done with it, especially since Larry was indirectly responsible by introducing the kid to the prostitute, and then at one point expressed that he thought the kid brought it on himself by deciding to run with the bulls. Something could have been done there.

Another thing that was weird was the fact that the way the funeral was set up, it seemed like Marty was his closest relative. (he was seated in the very front, the first person called up to speak, etc). Where are his parents? There was no indication previously that his parents were out of the picture and Marty was the one raising him or anything like that. Wouldn't it be funnier and more dark comedy boundary-pushing to go all the way and have Larry's hijinks juxtaposed against parents grieving for their dead teenage son? It seemed like a half-measure to ignore the parent question entirely.

Also it made absolutely no sense why the psychiatrist was so incredibly protective of stupid superficial conversational details not being shared (like the fact that he and his wife loved truffles, or that he mentioned that there was a department store sale). Why on earth would he care if Larry told others about superficial stuff like that? That just rang completely hollow. The show works much better if A) Larry is being ridiculous about something and the person he's talking to is a straight man, or B) The "straight man" in question is behaving in a manner that actually resembles what people do in real life, and Larry is calling them out on the inherent silliness/hypocrisy of it. But it doesn't make any sense if the straight man does something ridiculous or has ridiculous standards that no real person would ever have.

I'm with ya man. What's with Larry David putting Larry David jokes in a Larry David show???!!!

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 24, 2017

• Locked thread