Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Cromulent posted:

I feel like I'm one of the only ones who wasn't really digging that episode. There were funny moments, but it mostly came off as people doing an impression of an episode of Curb or something.

i agree. i liked it ok, but some of the assholishness felt forced and over the top, even for curb. i'd definitely watch a whole season of eps like that, but it would end up being one of curb's worse seasons imo

that said i'm not at all doubtful that the rest will be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Improv-filled outline structure. A lot of the dialogue in curb is improv

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Nichael posted:

And so far this season's easily as good as anything that came before it.

this is an insane statement

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

They've been average episodes that have tried to cram too much in with too tenuous a thread running through them. If it doesn't get better this will be the worst season. But yeah, the worst season of curb is still pretty, pretty good

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

This is total speculation but it feels like it's actually less improv than previous seasons? Like there are way more camera cuts between individuals with a lot more little snippets of dialogue that have clearly been fully scripted? Anyone know if that can be substantiated?

Anyway, agree that last ep was the best of the season so far, but still had too much going on. The restaurant manager, the honk at the cop, the yoohoo at the judge, the subtlety of a new car horn, the Fatwa boys, the front vs. back of mind, dangerous Larry -- all pretty funny ideas but too much for one episode. Feels like they have to rush through them just to try to squeeze them all in.

Some of the best parts of old Curb are Larry and Jeff (or Leon, or Funkman, etc.) just bullshitting about stuff that's not necessarily A Joke, which feels like has been cut in order to squeeze in more Jokes.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Just saw this season's first episode and all the characters are shouting THE WHOLE TIME. By the end of the episode that's not even an exaggeration at all, everyone is doing this unnatural shouting thing about each bad situation that's unfolding. It's like they all were told beforehand to turn up the volume and make sure there is no subtlety in the show, leaving it a bad parody of previous seasons. A tonal change definitely happened -- sad to see any unhelpful change to something great. I'll probably stick to exploring the old seasons instead of this new one.

yeah totally agree, this is what I was thinking of when saying how there aren't (m)any scenes that are just the characters bullshitting, having a casual conversation. seems like every scene has to have A Situation that Larry can make An Unpopular Observation about, which ends up in everyone yelling and coming across as extremely scripted. this type of scene has always been a part of Curb and can be really funny, but it has to be balanced by some more subdued and mundane moments, which can be just as funny, but seem to be (mostly) absent so far in S9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Best ep of the season. Opening bits about being late to the flight and flying coach being bad were terrible, but after that it was pretty consistently good. The scene where funkhouser breaks up with Larry was great, that felt like classic Curb improv bullshitting

• Locked thread