Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Welcome to USPOL the thread for all Not Trump US politics discussion, I'm your host a big idiot statist.

Current Hot Topic
Hurricane season has begun! They are a waste, as posts of other things that are a waste go here

General stuff:

The Government is currently run by the Grand Old Party majority, which would like to remind you it is the party of Lincoln.

Recently the Democrats seem to have taken up a defensive position outside an Applebees asking people to please tip your server even if they put children in internment camps.

For some reason the stock market is pretty high right now, having nothing to do with Real Americans. We might be in a money fight for some reason. I dont know, Canada's handsome Ivanka bait is making the President of the United States jealous or something.

Congress is full of clowns! What a bunch of clowns! Their disapproval is currently sitting somewhere around 79%

Books of a useful nature to improve your horizons and political context (thanks Rappaport):

Punishment and Inequality in America by Bruce Western
The First Civil Right: How Liberals Built Prison America by Naomi Murakawa
The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich

Matt Taibbi's
The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap and
Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians, and the Most Audacious Power Grab in American History

Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power by Rachel Maddow

Rick Perlstein's trilogy on the history of the modern conservative movement:
Before the Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus
Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America
The Invisible Bridge: The Fall of Nixon and the Rise of Reagan

Rule and Ruin: The Downfall of Moderation and the Destruction of the Republican Party, From Eisenhower to the Tea Party by Geoffrey Kabaservice
Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class by Ian Haney López
Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right by Jane Mayer
The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future by Joseph Stiglitz
Austerity: The History of a Dangerous Idea by Mark Blyth
Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq, 2003 to 2005 by Thomas Ricks
Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic by Sam Quinones
Why the Right Went Wrong: Conservatism—From Goldwater to the Tea Party and Beyond by E.J. Dionne Jr.
America's Bitter Pill: Money, Politics, Backroom Deals, and the Fight to Fix Our Broken Healthcare System by Steven Brill
Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools by Jonathan Kozol

Please suggest additions to the OP of a useful nature, much like your posting. :thunk:

Please remember that self care is important in trying times:

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

I hope you're proud of yourself for resuscitating this terrible, terrible thread.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Office Pig posted:

I hope you're proud of yourself for resuscitating this terrible, terrible thread.

I'm proud of them.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Hell, same.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

Office Pig posted:

Eh, it won't last long. Always too much poo poo happening in the US that hits on too many different topics to adequately moderate.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hail Satan!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oh no

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Just to pre-empt every argument we're going to have:

- BLM are the true racists
- Antifa are the true fascists
- Feminists are the true sexists
- Abolitionists are the true slavers
- LGBTQ people are the true oppressors
- Conservatives are the true punk counter-culture
- Something about freeze peach

There, saved you all the trouble.

e: forgot a few

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 11, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Webb would've won

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Just to pre-empt every argument we're going to have:

- BLM are the true racists
- Antifa are the true fascists
- Feminists are the true sexists
- Abolitionists are the true slavers
- Something about freeze peach

There, saved you all the trouble.

you forgot something about lgbtq people

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

stone cold posted:

you forgot something about lgbq people

Fixed.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

thank you. we have the trump thread for president of hte united states donald j. trump, the democrats are bad thread for about how the democrats are bad, the russia thread for people who think putin has radio transmitters in their frosted flakes, and this thread for everything else. please try to keep it civil and to keep chat-type stuff to the chat thread.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Motto posted:

Weebs would've won

e; lol here's me pissing all over the mod's requests

SO who's gonna join the NFL boycott?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
shitpost tag fits perfectly

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
hail satan, especially if he will stay the firm hand of irma from destroying your property

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Motto posted:

Webb would've won

Lessig 4 prez

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

the russia thread for people who think putin has radio transmitters in their frosted flakes

Don't let your biases leak out this early.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Hey, did you know there is an election this year?

If you live in New Jersey, you get to toss Chris Christie on his big fat duff. That's pretty cool. You also get to vote for which Democrat you like best, probably. But I don't know a lot about that. I come from Virginia. And Virginia is a crazy microcosm of American politics, so everyone is looking at it.

We're voting for our governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general and House of Delegates. The HoD is gonna be a mess, since you have NoVA, where all the defense contractors and well to do folk live and vote en masse, vs the rest of the state, which is a combination of ideologues in the exurbs and the Third World America that is the southwest panhandle. Republicans will outnumber Democrats, probably, and they'll breed such amazing things as transvaginal ultrasounds and writing right-to-work into the Gospel of Matthew. Because of the population and voting advantage of the north, however, the executive branch is very much in play. After 2013, where famous Hawaiian shirt wearing and whiskey swilling on national television snake oil salesman Terry McAulliffe turned out to be a surprisingly effective governor, the GOP doesn't have terribly much hope of taking back the mansion. They barely got Ed Gillespie, a really rather boring man, past Corey Stewart, actual Neo Nazi. Gillespie faces current lieutenant governor Dr. Ralph Northam, who's also a boring man.

If you live in the general vicinity of Northern Virginia, hit me up on PM's. I'm gonna need help getting people interested in a drama-less but vital race. The left needs to know we can win fights in the age of Trump, and I'm gonna spend the next eight weeks pounding on doors to say Yes Virginia, There Is An Election, Now Vote You loving Prick.

This poo poo is what matters. Gotta fight for your own Street.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm always in on not watching the NFL until late December or so.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/907042389054943232 lmbo

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So we're doing this again.

God help us all.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Unless it has a markedly different ecosystem and climate at the top, and presents a barrier to human transportation, animal and plant migration, and weather systems, a hill is not a mountain.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Like all it takes is two weeks of natural disasters overshadowing him, and we managed to forget about Trump.

For a week. Or two.

Watch out for October.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

Unless it has a markedly different ecosystem and climate at the top, and presents a barrier to human transportation, animal and plant migration, and weather systems, a hill is not a mountain.

Well, I knew we'd get an anti-science post quickly. Not surprised to see someone denying an earth science, but I expected climate science not geology.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

glowing-fish posted:

do not do this.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Mister Adequate posted:

Being a reformed Washington fan turned Buffalo fan turned NFL ex-pat, watching everyone else come around must be what every other activated person feels like when white folk get hyped to their cause.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol I thought the poo poo post tag was an intentional choice.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Being a reformed Washington fan turned Buffalo fan turned NFL ex-pat, watching everyone else come around must be what every other activated person feels like when white folk get hyped to their cause.

Has there been any significant noise about it since it's NFL Sunday? I know people were talking about Kaepernick got signed with someone.

Trabisnikof posted:

lol I thought the poo poo post tag was an intentional choice.

It almost was, but then I forgot completely about it later when I had decided that it wasn't a good look, even if likely accurate.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ground floor on USPol.

Anyway, godspeed to the city that gets Amazon HQ2.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Given what we know about concussions and how it destroys the mind and body of players maybe we just skip the foreplay and go back to gladiatorial blood sport?

Also watching mostly minority men destroy themselves for the entertainment of the masses and the enrichment of the already rich is pretty much America.txt.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

Ground floor on USPol.

Anyway, godspeed to the city that gets Amazon HQ2.

my money is on toronto

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

boner confessor posted:

my money is on toronto

Gonna be Indy. The state will then becomes Amazon Prime State and no one here will notice or care.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

R. Guyovich posted:

do not do this.

To a communist, the existence of mountains is an affront.

Although they claim to be "dialectical materialists", communists are afraid fo the material world, because their entire world is based on hoping desperately that the social and economic system of Germany in the 1840s, as viewed by two guys in their 20s who had just gone to college, is the ultimate form of reality. Communists reify (outdated) social systems as the only form of reality.

The existence of an outside world with its own rules, its own being that is not part of their carefully tailored social theories, rightfully discomfits them.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

How about I remove the mountaintop from your loving face

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nick Soapdish posted:

Gonna be Indy. The state will then becomes Amazon Prime State and no one here will notice or care.

who is governor now that pence is gone? the big thing about state governments and attracting business now is that it's a question of if they can afford to shovel subsidies at the private firm, and are they willing to toe the liberal line on minority rights? when the trans bills and bathroom laws were going across the south there was a large amount of pressure in georgia to pass a similar law but it got shut down at the state level because major corporate players like delta, coca-cola, and the growing film industry in and around atlanta told governor deal to knock it off. because of that indiana, north carolina etc. may not be credible players to attract a big fish like amazon for a while

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Office Pig posted:

How about I remove the mountaintop from your loving face

Hey, MTR is bad enough I wouldn't wish that on my worst foe.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Before we really get going, I'd like to say a prayer of thanks to 8BS for projectile vomiting in the trump thread so hard that it splashed on guyovich's shoes, and he used a tissue to wipe them off and discarded the tissue and that became the new USPOL thread.

Amen.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Before we really get going, I'd like to say a prayer of thanks to 8BS for projectile vomiting in the trump thread so hard that it splashed on guyovich's shoes, and he used a tissue to wipe them off and discarded the tissue and that became the new USPOL thread.

Amen.

God works in truly mysterious ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh poo poo uspol.

8-bit savant is so bad he re-created uspol with his ignorance.

• Locked thread