Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Problem description: I can't ping, ssh, or browse anything on my network with this PC. All this crap works as normal if I do it with my phone.

You can see here that when I ping from this PC to another one, I get a reply from my own address that the target is unreachable. This happens for any device. Pinging stuff on the internet works normally as expected. Windows Explorer only shows my router and Roku (for some reason?) in the Network section.

Attempted fixes: Fuckin, every networking gyration a hobbyist knows about. Feels like it anyway. Rebooted the router, toggled all the options in there that make any sense (like DNS type stuff). Resetting the windows firewall to defaults, disabling the windows firewall, giving this pc a static IP, loving with drivers, enable/disable file sharing.

Recent changes: I haven't changed anything myself in a long rear end time. Windows updates do get installed though, and who knows what that poo poo might break.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

System specs: Intel i5-3570k, 16gb of whatever memory, ASRock Z77 Extreme3 motherboard, a GTX 970, and some drives

I have Googled and read the FAQ: All day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you've rebooted/power cycled every device on the network (modem and other devices as well).

Try doing tracert 192.168.1.98 and see what it says.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Zogo posted:

Make sure you've rebooted/power cycled every device on the network (modem and other devices as well).

Try doing tracert 192.168.1.98 and see what it says.

Yeah was finally able to reset everything this morning, but it didn't help at all. Traceroute to .98 works because that's my localhost, .99 which is another computer still says destination host unreachable.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Another thing you could try is to make sure you're router has the latest firmware.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Sounds like you've a subnet mask mismatch on the network perhaps.
The message comes from your own PC because it believes you are on the same subnet as the device you are trying to ping and it doesn't need to route to another host to reach the IP. it should establish the mac address associated with the target machine via ARP. The message you are getting is saying it can't do that. You've obviously got connectivity to your default gateway which is what is routing traffic to the internet etc.

Check the subnet mask is consistent on all the networking equipment. Most likely this is 255.255.255.0

The other possibility is you've enabled a feature on your Router/switch that has isolated your PC from the rest of the network. This is called Private VLAN or port isolation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_VLAN

I haven't experience in the particular brand you have so I don't know if this is something it supports and if it does if it is something that it has given a stupid nonstandard name to.

• Locked thread