Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Mahoning posted:

Almost no one actually plugs their phones directly into their computer anymore. Why would they factor that into what they pack into the box with the phone?

It would've been good because it would allow for fast charging out of the box (and made USB c to lightning cables more prevalent and affordable, which is all I care about)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Ha ha suckers! I'm already in line for my phone.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

logikv9 posted:

It would've been good because it would allow for fast charging out of the box (and made USB c to lightning cables more prevalent and affordable, which is all I care about)

The significant majority of people don't own computers or chargers with USB-C ports. I guess they could at least include a cable with a USB-A to USB-C adapter on it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dc3k posted:

The significant majority of people don't own computers or chargers with USB-C ports. I guess they could at least include a cable with a USB-A to USB-C adapter on it.

Ironically google includes this in the pixel box.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

dc3k posted:

they would provide that by having the charger use a usb-c port as well. usb-c on the charging end by default allows fast charging

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Given the charger they packed in with the iPhone 7 Plus I’d say charging speed was hardly a priority.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dissss posted:

Given the charger they packed in with the iPhone 7 Plus I’d say charging speed was hardly a priority.

The bundled chargers are the new 16GB model. It’s loving astounding in 2017, 3 phone revisions past the first one that could quick charge, the phone still doesn’t come with the appropriate brick for it.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I just love they're about to sell a 1200 dollar phone with the same charging options that came with my SE.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's also incredibly dumb since they're pushing the one-port usb-c future with the macbooks already. no courage, sad!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Magic Underwear posted:

Yeah but its not like you could find another phone that has an edge to edge screen, no chin, fingerprint scanner, wireless charging, expandable storage and costs $275 less. Simply not possible.

edit: and headphone port
That's not edge to edge :confused:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
He means sides which is actually a good point. The screen would look cooler if it was truly side to side, but there is about the same amount of black border on the X sides as there is in the 7/8.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

He means sides which is actually a good point. The screen would look cooler if it was truly side to side, but there is about the same amount of black border on the X sides as there is in the 7/8.
I personally think side edge to edge is stupid because of touch detection when you're just holding the phone and blocking the viewing area when holding the phone.

I never thought they should do top/bottom edge to edge for the same reason when holding in landscape, but when people were mocking up edge to edge for the iPhone X, half the people wanted full edge to edge with ears and half wanted bars. Apple was hosed no matter what they did.

The top/bottom black bars on the S8 look silly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

The bundled chargers are the new 16GB model. It’s loving astounding in 2017, 3 phone revisions past the first one that could quick charge, the phone still doesn’t come with the appropriate brick for it.

Even if it comes with one, people flip poo poo that it doesn't work with "all my other chargers."

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Duckman2008 posted:

Even if it comes with one, people flip poo poo that it doesn't work with "all my other chargers."

I’m talking about the iPad power supply, not even USB-C.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have an Anker 5 port USB charger with 2A on every port and I was surprised that it does charge my iPhone 6S faster than a 1A charger does

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Curious. Couldn't they just have seamlessly integrated TouchID into the rear Apple logo with the X?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

False Toaster posted:

Curious. Couldn't they just have seamlessly integrated TouchID into the rear Apple logo with the X?

That would justify the existence of cases with that goofy Apple logo window cut out and that's a future nobody wants to live in. :colbert:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Speaking of cases, the worst thing about this update for me is that Apple is selling folio cases for the iPhone now. Gross.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zwille posted:

Speaking of cases, the worst thing about this update for me is that Apple is selling folio cases for the iPhone now. Gross.
They're actually very practical for reducing the amount of shot in your pockets.

I go naked though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Josh Lyman posted:

They're actually very practical for reducing the amount of shot in your pockets.
Not Apple ones, though, they don’t have credit/debit card slots. Courageous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not Apple ones, though, they don’t have credit/debit card slots. Courageous.

I don't need credit/debit card slots or a folio case, I can just use ApplePay* because everywhere in Canada accepts it. :smug:

*for purchases less than 100 dollars

• Locked thread