Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Any idea what's the Screen shot combo

https://twitter.com/reneritchie/status/907736291726336000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Goddamnit Apple :cripes:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

How am I supposed to secretly message my mafia boss with my phone in my pocket if I have to look at it to unlock it

It will totally see through your disguise.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Goddamnit Apple :cripes:

Is... that a problem? The side button is on the right side of the phone and volume buttons on the left.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Is... that a problem? The side button is on the right side of the phone and volume buttons on the left.

it's different than before and therefore bad because reasons

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

dc3k posted:

it's different than before and therefore bad because reasons

It’s better, if anything. You can take screenshots with one hand that way.

By the way, screenshots are greatly enhanced in iOS 11. I just noticed from installing the GM. A little window pops up and you can instantly start editing it and overlay text. You can also just choose to copy it for use without clogging your photo library up. It’s rad.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 13, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

iOS 11 also has native screen recording, which I've heard Snapchat can't detect

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why don't they have face id on the front and touch id on the back

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Pivo posted:

edit; Snapchat can detect it

dc3k fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 13, 2017

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Vegetable posted:

Why don't they have face id on the front and touch id on the back

It could even out the camera wart so you wouldn't need a case to make your iPhone lay flat.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh great. Every time I want to lock my phone I’m also going to take a screenshot because a side lock button is still loving stupid.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh great. Every time I want to lock my phone I’m also going to take a screenshot because a side lock button is still loving stupid.

Uhhh, you press both the lock and volume up button every time you lock your phone? I'm not sure I've ever done that. Are you sure you know how to hold a phone?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HTXMhKWqnA

mkbhd here shows that videos are not always rendered around the notch; just when zoomed in. OLED magic still makes it disappear when viewing 16:9 content

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

aBagorn posted:

I think the size thing is a big selling point. I like having a 5+ inch screen, but i don't like holding my 6s+

Looks like the X has an even bigger screen than the + series while being a smaller form factor. That's pretty nice in my book

That cutout looks like loving poo poo :barf:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Boris Galerkin posted:

That cutout looks like loving poo poo :barf:

Yeah they really should have made it a thin top bezel.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Pivo posted:

As someone who has manage a fleet of idevices this is a loving godsend. It's pretty much open the door for letting me remote assist somebody on their loving tablet or phone.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

a side lock button is still loving stupid.
Still can't understand why they moved it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

Pivo posted:

mkbhd here shows that videos are not always rendered around the notch; just when zoomed in. OLED magic still makes it disappear when viewing 16:9 content

This is dumb as poo poo; the zoomed content should just black-bar the top.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Xabi posted:

Still can't understand why they moved it.

They moved it because the phones got big. It would have been pretty awkward if it was still on the top imo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So when they say the screen is "5.4 inches diagonal" or whatever the number is, did they measure from corner to corner including that hideous cutout?

When the display is 16:10 AR does that include the useless cutout as well?

Or does the cutout count as "extra" in both cases

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's not like touch ID was perfect. Your skin had to make contact, so cold weather climates with gloves were a nuisance situation. Wet fingers sometimes cause problems. You still find yourself entering codes in many situations rather than using touchID. Yea, it's cool, but it's not so incredibly amazing that moving away from it is a bad thing per se.

"This is really cool but if has these specific and identifiable problems so we should scrap the whole thing."

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Ive always used black iPhones. Is the white bezel super distracting?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Pivo posted:

Three different swipe down gestures are kinda lovely UX, imo. It's going to confuse a lot of people

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AlternateAccount posted:

The lack of subsidization is kind of interesting. The raw, unfiltered $1000 buttfuck of actual phone pricing will be difficult for a lot of people, regardless of means.

The hardware of the phone costs probably like 70 bucks. It's really stunning that they think enough people will pay the grand.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mcmagic posted:

The hardware of the phone costs probably like 70 bucks. It's really stunning that they think enough people will pay the grand.

Shitloads will pay the grand. Ironically the high price will likely make it sell better.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

If you have a 7 or 7+ with anything other than 32GB you are pretty much at a grand anyways. It's not unreasonable for them to think that people will shell out a grand for the new hotness and first re-design in 4 years.

There's also the rumors that Apple cannot produce anywhere near enough of these things to satisfy demand. Hence the November release date. Rumor has it they are making about 10,000 units per day. Even if the phone only launches in Western markets on 11/3, it will be very hard to come by with those quantities.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
You also just get NOTHING for signing up for a 2 year contract anymore which is also ridiculous.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You also just get NOTHING for signing up for a 2 year contract anymore which is also ridiculous.

I mean, I'm not sure if anybody has explained this to you, I'm sure they have. So you know the only reason they were giving you like ~$200 off a phone for signing a 2-year contract was because they were baking that $200+ into the plans themselves? When I worked for Sprint like 8 or 10 years ago, an unlimited plan was $99 PER LINE. And that was with lovely 3G data. It was also the cheapest unlimited plan (actually the only unlimited plan for awhile) you could get. Now, you can get unlimited for 2 lines on Sprint for $99 TOTAL. That's how much plans have come down (let's just ignore all the throttling bullshit).

It's why I always laughed at these smug assholes that I tried to get to upgrade their phones that they'd had for 2 years already and they were all :smug: "I'm out of contract, why would I sign another 2-year agreement???" and all I could think was "Because you're paying for the phone anyways, why not at least get a NEW one." Especially since half those things were FREE back then.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mahoning posted:

I mean, I'm not sure if anybody has explained this to you, I'm sure they have. So you know the only reason they were giving you like ~$200 off a phone for signing a 2-year contract was because they were baking that $200+ into the plans themselves? When I worked for Sprint like 8 or 10 years ago, an unlimited plan was $99 PER LINE. And that was with lovely 3G data. It was also the cheapest unlimited plan (actually the only unlimited plan for awhile) you could get. Now, you can get unlimited for 2 lines on Sprint for $99 TOTAL. That's how much plans have come down (let's just ignore all the throttling bullshit).

It's why I always laughed at these smug assholes that I tried to get to upgrade their phones that they'd had for 2 years already and they were all :smug: "I'm out of contract, why would I sign another 2-year agreement???" and all I could think was "Because you're paying for the phone anyways, why not at least get a NEW one." Especially since half those things were FREE back then.

Do you know how much wireless service costs in other countries? Cry me a river for these companies who are incurring virtually zero marginal cost in providing their overpriced lovely service. The idea that you think 1,200 dollars a year for loving zero marginal cost cell phone service is a good deal is mind boggling.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mcmagic posted:

Do you know how much wireless service costs in other countries? Cry me a river for these companies who are incurring virtually zero marginal cost in providing their overpriced lovely service. The idea that you think 1,200 dollars a year for loving zero marginal cost cell phone service is a good deal is mind boggling.

£20 p/m for 20GB data and no contractual minimum term. :smug:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Theophany posted:

That's expensive compared to Korea and Japan too...

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

mcmagic posted:

He explains accurately why you get nothing for signing up for a new contract these days (because the carriers have pulled the phone subsidy out of the service price and lowered the price) and you poo poo on him for answering your question and you move the goalposts to be how terribly overpriced (presumably) US carriers are.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Do you know how much more infrastructure is involved in wireless service in the US compared to other countries?

You're not wrong, you're just making a terrible argument to prove your point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Theophany posted:

:negative:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

incoherent posted:

As someone who has manage a fleet of idevices this is a loving godsend. It's pretty much open the door for letting me remote assist somebody on their loving tablet or phone.

Have you ever called Apple for support, and had them request a screen sharing session with just your iCloud/Apple ID? It's pretty loving cool. They can do it on macOS and iOS and I want to know how so I can do it too god dammit!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I thought you guys (Americans) moved away from contracts? Instead they just put you on a payment plan for the phone? The cost of breaking the 'contract' is exactly what you still owe on the phone? And they use the MSRP so they don't charge interest? Making it effectively a 0% loan? It's more or less what we do in Canada now too, I was pretty sure the US was doing the same thing. It still lets them lock people in to expensive phones over time, it's just a lot more explicit now ... and once you've paid off the phone, you don't have to pay the higher monthly fee.

But anyhow, try paying for cell phone service in Canada if you think the US is expensive! ;-)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Cell phone subsidies were loving dumb because they locked you into a contract but basically hid the cost of the phone in it. When you went off contract you ended up paying more for the phone unless you got yourself a new one and locked yourself in for another 2 years.

AUP + go with whatever loving carrier you want is way better.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Pivo posted:

I thought you guys (Americans) moved away from contracts? Instead they just put you on a payment plan for the phone? The cost of breaking the 'contract' is exactly what you still owe on the phone? And they use the MSRP so they don't charge interest? Making it effectively a 0% loan? It's more or less what we do in Canada now too, I was pretty sure the US was doing the same thing. It still lets them lock people in to expensive phones over time, it's just a lot more explicit now ... and once you've paid off the phone, you don't have to pay the higher monthly fee.

But anyhow, try paying for cell phone service in Canada if you think the US is expensive! ;-)

Most carriers have moved away from that. They just replaced it with the payment plans and now it's a bit more transparent how much of each bill is going towards the hardware and how much is going towards the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mcmagic posted:

That's expensive compared to Korea and Japan too...

Ya but I'd also have to live in a shoebox-sized apartment in Japan or Korea so...

• Locked thread