Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

When September 12th at 10am PDT (1PM EDT, 1700 UTC)

Where Apple (Note: requires Safari or Microsoft Edge), or the Apple Events app for iOS and tvOS.
Various other outlets will live blog the event too (Ars, TheVerge for instance)

What
  • Updated and New iPhones - namely updates to the current iPhone 7/7+ (current speculation is Apple forgoing a 7S/7S+ naming and going directly to 8/8+) and a brand new high-end with an all-new design (most recent evidence points to this being called the iPhone X).
  • iPhone X? Tell me more! - The leaks and rumors point to a new home button-less iPhone design with an edge-to-edge OLED display. The body of the new iPhone is also rumored to be switching to a glass back and stainless steel frame (ala the Apple Watch) to allow for wireless charging. It's rumored to come with a $999 price tag and possibly short supplies (think AirPods extended shipping timeframes) so set expectations accordingly.
  • FaceID - No home button means no TouchID sensor so Apple appears to be rolling out a facial recognition feature to replace it (at least on the iPhone X).
  • AR-exclusive X Features - At least one iPhone X-clusive :downsrim: feature to leak is Animojis: animated emojis done Snapchat-filter like with your head movements and voice that you can then send to others.
  • New/Updated Apple Watch with LTE- Evidence appears to show Apple will be untethering the Watch from the iPhone. Whether anything else has changed is anybody's guess.
  • New/Updated Apple TV - A new hardware revision is coming that'll bring 4K support to the platform. Other evidence suggests a native 2160p resolution, HDR10 and Dolby Vision support, and a requirement of a 15Mbps internet connection.
  • Updates to all Apple operating systems - iOS 11, macOS High Sierra, tvOS 11, watchOS 4 all expected to get release dates. If past can predict future events, the iOS/tvOS/watchOS updates should all come out 3 days prior to new iPhones launching or in this year's case, maybe September 20th.

Wild Cards
This is the first Apple event to take place in Apple's new campus and at the Steve Jobs Auditorium. It's also the 10th anniversary of the introduction of the iPhone (hence the X moniker for the new high-end iPhone). Apple hasn't surprised the public in some time (mostly due to supply chain leaks in years past) but if there ever was a time for them to announce something unexpected, this would be the time and place to do so. The Animoji feature leaked out only the Friday before so who knows.

After the event, please keep all discussion of shipping times, delivery confirmations, and ordering status in this thread.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

We also might get 7th generation iPod Touches according to:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/11/7th-gen-ipod-touch-with-face-id-hinted-at-in-ios-11-gm-code

..which would be nice since they pretty much killed off most of the other iPods and haven't updated the Touch since.. July 2015.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Also AirPods are getting a reportedly minor revision.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Grassy Knowles posted:

Also AirPods are getting a reportedly minor revision.

I think all they’re changing there is the charging case (so the light is on the outside)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

[quote="“Happy Noodle Boy”" post="“476295408”"]
I think all they’re changing there is the charging case (so the light is on the outside)
[/quote]

I'm expecting some different color choices to be announced too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just in from Vegas: The O/U on the length of the 10th anniversary Jony Ive wank video is 4.5 minutes.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just in from Vegas: The O/U on the length of the 10th anniversary Jony Ive wank video is 4.5 minutes.

Like unofficial Apple PR machine John Gruber said, I'd be really worried if Apple makes a big deal out of the "10th anniversary" of the iPhone.

It's the obvious thing to do, but it's not something Apple does...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twentieth_Anniversary_Macintosh

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Case in point, didn't Steve hate that piece of overpriced poo poo

Although I'm reading Jony Ive designed it, so hmmm

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

http://osxdaily.com/2014/02/03/apple-releases-30th-mac-anniversary-video/

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Case in point, didn't Steve hate that piece of overpriced poo poo

Although I'm reading Jony Ive designed it, so hmmm
Yeah it was during non Steve Apple times. Difference between that and now is it was specifically made as an anniversary product as opposed to just some acknowledgement/video as they do nowadays. Gruber's concern is if they do that again and tie the iPhone X (or whatever) to the anniversary...which seems kind of inevitable with the name, but it could also be interpreted like OS X and FCP X, in that it's a major shift/reset to the product.

I will patiently await the iPhone X mini, which will surely arrive with the iPad Pro mini and Mac mini updates at some point in the 2020s.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anyone know some good audio coverage of the event? I'll only be able to listen while it's happening.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Can't wait for Apple to release the device I'm waiting for, The Pippen 2017.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I am hoping that they'll be releasing a thing like google daydream glasses (but for their ARkit) as the "surprise release." I know there are probably a bunch of ways to hook up your iPhone to a head mounted display for AR gaming and the etc, but it feels like this would be a product space that Apple would want to monetize.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Rick posted:

Can't wait for Apple to release the device I'm waiting for, The Pippen 2017.

Naw someone writes a 65C816 emulator in ARM and ties it into the new Apple-only GPU (which looks curiously like the PowerVR 3D chips) and wa-lah, Super Nintendo emulation for the AppleTV 4K.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

That is such a great entry, especially how the 20th Century Mac was priced and discounted.

Also the first line under History where the 3 Apple founders are listed, but only two are worthy of hyperlinks.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 12, 2017

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

That is such a great entry, especially how the 20th Century Mac was priced and discounted.

Also the first line under History where the 3 Apple founders are listed, but only two are worthy of hyperlinks.

That dude actually does have a Wikipedia article:

quote:

[Wayne] co-founded Apple Computer (now Apple Inc.) with Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs, providing administrative oversight for the new venture. He soon, however, sold his share of the new company for $800 US dollars, and later accepted $1,500 to forfeit any claims against Apple (in total, equivalent to $9,296 in 2016).

lol :smith:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
As a cellphone junkie since I got a Nokia 6110 back in the day, the 6+ is my longest serving phone, and I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade this year were it not for the redesigned iPhone X.

I've been wanting to replace my Fitbit with an Apple Watch, but I'll hold off until the battery life is doubled. I forget to charge my Fitbit all the time, and the ability to last a second day without charging is critical. I'd have also been more interested in a 4K Apple TV a year ago, but since then I have upgraded my TV, and my old Apple TV is just collecting dust. I have no need for a 4K Apple TV unless a ton of 4K content becomes available on something other than Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon.

I'll be refreshing the website non-stop at 3AM on Friday to get an iPhone X, but if inventory is as constrained as rumored to be, and shipping dates slip into December/January, I might just wait for next year's model and keep my upgrade cycles somewhat in sync with product releases.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

As a cellphone junkie since I got a Nokia 6110 back in the day, the 6+ is my longest serving phone, and I wouldn't have bothered to upgrade this year were it not for the redesigned iPhone X.

I've been wanting to replace my Fitbit with an Apple Watch, but I'll hold off until the battery life is doubled. I forget to charge my Fitbit all the time, and the ability to last a second day without charging is critical. I'd have also been more interested in a 4K Apple TV a year ago, but since then I have upgraded my TV, and my old Apple TV is just collecting dust. I have no need for a 4K Apple TV unless a ton of 4K content becomes available on something other than Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon.

I'll be refreshing the website non-stop at 3AM on Friday to get an iPhone X, but if inventory is as constrained as rumored to be, and shipping dates slip into December/January, I might just wait for next year's model and keep my upgrade cycles somewhat in sync with product releases.

Thanks for the update, I will add it to my log.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

Steps you take pootling about your apartment don't actually count. In any situation worth step-counting you're going to have your phone on you. It's built in gps-assisted counter is really good.

You don't need a watch unless you really want one for whatever reason.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

gently caress health.app, i take the subway to work and i work at a desk, I AM NOT A PARAGON OF HEALTH THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME, PHONE

but yeah it's actually really accurate, other than heart rate monitoring i don't see what a fitbit would even be for at this point

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Khablam posted:

Steps you take pootling about your apartment don't actually count. In any situation worth step-counting you're going to have your phone on you. It's built in gps-assisted counter is really good.

You don't need a watch unless you really want one for whatever reason.

I don't need a watch. If anything, I often have weeks where I forget to charge my Fitbit, and go without it, but psychologically, it provides more motivation to walk 20 blocks over taking the train. I used to use the step tracker on the phone before I got a Fitbit, but I feel the need to justify wearing a step tracker, and end up walking a lot more when I wear it. I also find having a smart watch helps for little things like checking the time or a text message, because I'll take a quick glance and get back to whatever I was doing, whereas when I take out my phone, I'll scroll through all of my news notifications, catch up on my different Whatsapp groups, and end up wasting time.

Sure I could get over this with a little more discipline, but a technological solution is just so much easier. If the Apple Watch could last 2 full days, I'm sold.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

TyrantWD posted:

I don't need a watch. If anything, I often have weeks where I forget to charge my Fitbit, and go without it, but psychologically, it provides more motivation to walk 20 blocks over taking the train. I used to use the step tracker on the phone before I got a Fitbit, but I feel the need to justify wearing a step tracker, and end up walking a lot more when I wear it. I also find having a smart watch helps for little things like checking the time or a text message, because I'll take a quick glance and get back to whatever I was doing, whereas when I take out my phone, I'll scroll through all of my news notifications, catch up on my different Whatsapp groups, and end up wasting time.

Sure I could get over this with a little more discipline, but a technological solution is just so much easier. If the Apple Watch could last 2 full days, I'm sold.

My S2 does. I charge it every other night, just to get some extra mileage out of the battery. The charger stays on my nightstand so you kind of have to deliberately 'forget' to charge it.

If I charge it up overnight, by the time I go to bed the next day I'm probably down to ~60% battery. Hell, I'm on 79% right now after not charging last night but giving it a 15 minute charge this morning whilst I took a shower. I mean if you're doing 60 min workouts where the heart rate monitor is on constantly every day then you're gonna get less than that, but I get my 30 mins a day most days in the form of brisk walks and I can't complain.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there any way to watch this on an Android tablet or Chromebook? I know the Apple website is Safari or Edge only but I feel like there has to be a secret Youtube mirror or way to play it in VLC or something with the right link.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Is there any way to watch this on an Android tablet or Chromebook? I know the Apple website is Safari or Edge only but I feel like there has to be a secret Youtube mirror or way to play it in VLC or something with the right link.

There's YT mirrors nearly every time, plus buckets of tech channels reshowing the stream and "REACTING" to it.
e: most Apple news sites seem to broadcast it too, without the weird tech caveats.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just read one of the liveblogs. They are basically transcribing.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

A YouTube live mirror always ends up popping up. I think last time it was on TIME’s channel.

Gonna try MS Edge at work myself this time, it didn’t work last time....

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_00zaRDlCS4

What an ugly rear end phone

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why are they moving the flash underneath the camera instead of alongside it like it is now?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Updated the liveblog links since TheVerge's is live now. Ars' will begin when the event begins.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why are they moving the flash underneath the camera instead of alongside it like it is now?

Cheaper to manufacturer probably. Its all contained in one module.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

lmbo if true

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Apple's store is now closed as per the norm.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Wow yeah that's not a good look. :butt:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
This link will work in Safari or Edge:

https://p-events-delivery.akamaized.net/17oiubaewrvouhboiubasdfv09/m3u8/atv_mvp.m3u8

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
What is a pee event?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Works in IINA.app too if you're on macOS and don't wanna use Safari

IINA's a pretty neat VLC alternative based on mpv

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

This red phone is very important to me

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
How will the presenters be dressed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My body is ready.

Hopefully the AUP isn't a cluster gently caress.

• Locked thread