Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Theophany posted:

Ya but I'd also have to live in a shoebox-sized apartment in Japan or Korea so...

And that kind of explains the difference. Japan is smaller than the state of California, but contains the population of California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, and Maryland combined. Rollout and maintenance of a wireless network (or even a fiber home internet network) is a lot more expensive over a large area with a relatively low population density than the opposite. Yes, the wireless carriers are ripping you off. So is every other big business. It's how they make money. But "it's cheaper in other countries!!!" doesn't really explain poo poo. Apples and oranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Coverage and speeds etc. also still varies across Korea and Japan despite being smaller and more invested in being connected. Tokyo, Kyoto, Busan and Seoul often dominate the conversation on these matters.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
$1549 for the 256GB version here in Canada. Hahaha holy gently caress.

I wouldn't even consider it on principle but of course my girlfriend is already planning her budget for the next three months around it. I'm trying to steer her towards the 8 instead, fingerprint sensor sounds far better than FaceID so far.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sock The Great posted:

Most carriers have moved away from that. They just replaced it with the payment plans and now it's a bit more transparent how much of each bill is going towards the hardware and how much is going towards the service.

Finally, I can win that argument with my roommate, who thinks she's "getting the phone for free" by going with a 2-year-old phone each time she upgrades.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What was the retail price of a Nokia brick phone back in the late 90s?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Sock The Great posted:

Most carriers have moved away from that. They just replaced it with the payment plans and now it's a bit more transparent how much of each bill is going towards the hardware and how much is going towards the service.

I've had to explain to family and friends how the new system is actually way better than the old 2 year contract $200 down bullshit so many times. Your phone bill ends up being basically the same price and most carriers let you get a new phone every year with just paying the sales tax, or you can keep your phone for 3+ years and enjoy a cheaper phone bill after 2 years.

Edit:

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I'm not sure but I remember the Motorola RAZR being $600 at one point in time which is about $740 in today's money.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Uff yeah importing the RAZR before it was widely released in N.A. ... that was expensive. The latest & greatest (at the time thinnest and smallest) phones always cost a pretty penny, relative to others.

Nokia candybars were pretty inexpensive though, relatively speaking, but they were not the thinnest or the smallest.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
If you do the AUP you can basically preorder your preorder in the Apple store app right now for the 8. The X is still MIA. It looks like they learned a bit from last year.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Palm Treo 600's were anywhere from $500-700 full retail back in 2003. That translates to roughly $700-1000 in today's dollars so smartphones haven't really gotten any more expensive.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Also I definitely paid $700 for the very first iPhone, which wasn't subsidized

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Y'all realize that Apple's plan is that everyone buys these with 0% financing on the Apple Upgrade program? You aren't paying $1200 for the phone. They are locking you in to $56-60 per month for at least 2 years, probably longer. A lot longer.

Time value of money for me meant that Mrs Mango got a 7+ for christmas last year, and will probably get an 8+ this year, and I will jump on the bandwagon for an X. Yes, we will be paying Apple something like $120/month for phone hardware, music, and cloud storage.

Still less than half of what I pay ATT because I am stubborn and won't give up unlimited phone and tablet data.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pivo posted:

Uff yeah importing the RAZR before it was widely released in N.A. ... that was expensive. The latest & greatest (at the time thinnest and smallest) phones always cost a pretty penny, relative to others.

Nokia candybars were pretty inexpensive though, relatively speaking, but they were not the thinnest or the smallest.

The Nokia 8800 was something like £700-800 iirc, though most of their candybars were pretty cheap.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Can Apple just go ahead and buy AT&T? Maybe Adobe too.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

pzy posted:

Also I definitely paid $700 for the very first iPhone, which wasn't subsidized

I got this one in August of 2007 when the price dropped to $399. Was still a remarkable device.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Ultimate Mango posted:

Y'all realize that Apple's plan is that everyone buys these with 0% financing on the Apple Upgrade program? You aren't paying $1200 for the phone. They are locking you in to $56-60 per month for at least 2 years, probably longer. A lot longer.

Time value of money for me meant that Mrs Mango got a 7+ for christmas last year, and will probably get an 8+ this year, and I will jump on the bandwagon for an X. Yes, we will be paying Apple something like $120/month for phone hardware, music, and cloud storage.

Still less than half of what I pay ATT because I am stubborn and won't give up unlimited phone and tablet data.

Just stick with Tmobile.

They have a program where you pay monthly for your phone, and once you hit the halfway point, usually at about a year, they will let you tear up your contract by turning in your phone for a new one. Also they will replace your phone for free if you break it I think about 3 times?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Over There posted:

Just stick with Tmobile.

They have a program where you pay monthly for your phone, and once you hit the halfway point, usually at about a year, they will let you tear up your contract by turning in your phone for a new one. Also they will replace your phone for free if you break it I think about 3 times?

This is exactly how Apple's program works since it includes Applecare.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Over There posted:

Just stick with Tmobile.

AT&T does the monthly payment option as well.

If I get the iPhone when it comes out I have to pay like $60 because it would be ~2 months before my year is up.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Mahoning posted:

This is exactly how Apple's program works since it includes Applecare.

You still have to pay for repairs with Applecare don't you? Just a cheaper price. You don't get replacements.

Also I wonder what it will be like when it comes to supply. Like do I have a better chance of getting the phone early by preordering it from Tmobile moreso than someone waiting in line at apple with the AUP

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Over There posted:

You still have to pay for repairs with Applecare don't you? Just a cheaper price. You don't get replacements.

It's insurance with a deductible. We're all used to these products (0% financing, insurance, etc) but for some reason people rename them and pretend it's something else.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I mean the pricing was entirely expected to me. We're at or near capacity for OLED production. Apple is always expected to sell between 80-100 million phones in a given period of time. There is no way they could produce these screens for every single phone so they tiered it. They offered it at a luxury model for die hards, probably 20 million or so will sell and the screens will trickle down as they get production under control. We've seen this before with other products from other companies.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I have a question about Apple's upgrade program. So they buyback your old device if you're not already in the program. So if I check their website (or the buyback website they redirect you to) and it says they'll give me $375 for my iPhone 7, does that just come off the full price of the iPhone 8 or X? And then the rest is financed at 0% over 24 months?

So if I wanted the iPhone 8+, which retails for $799, minus the 375 is 424 divided by 24 months is $17.67/mo? Am I understanding that correctly or no?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ultimate Mango posted:

Get in a family plan with you your wife and two of your dirtbag buddies. If you can get 4 people you can get unlimited plans for $40 each (fee included) on T-Mobile or $46 (after fees) on Verizon.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Mahoning posted:

And that kind of explains the difference. Japan is smaller than the state of California, but contains the population of California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, and Maryland combined. Rollout and maintenance of a wireless network (or even a fiber home internet network) is a lot more expensive over a large area with a relatively low population density than the opposite. Yes, the wireless carriers are ripping you off. So is every other big business. It's how they make money. But "it's cheaper in other countries!!!" doesn't really explain poo poo. Apples and oranges.

Those companies should probably stop taking billions of tax dollars to upgrade their infrastructure without doing it if they want to use your bullshit excuse, then.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So the X literally has no way to unobtrusively unlock your phone and have a peek at it. Kinda dumb.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
If you tap the side button 5 times

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

AlternateAccount posted:

So the X literally has no way to unobtrusively unlock your phone and have a peek at it. Kinda dumb.

You could just put the code in.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

Those companies should probably stop taking billions of tax dollars to upgrade their infrastructure without doing it if they want to use your bullshit excuse, then.

I mean this is a dumb thing to continually argue about but the criminality of corporate America doesn't change the reality of the point I was making. It doesn't make the Japan/United States comparison suddenly apples to apples.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
So iOS 10's big push was to put more information/functionality on the lock screen. If you wanted to drill down into something then you could 3D touch it and then Touch ID to unlock and it would bring you right there.

How does this work with Face ID? So now you could have a number of notifications on the lock screen, and just the act of looking at it unlocks the phone and brings you to the home screen. What if you just want to glance at he phone to read a couple texts?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Unlocking the phone via face is not the same as opening the phone. The phone stays on the notification/lock screen until you swipe up to bring up your home.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unlocking the phone via face is not the same as opening the phone. The phone stays on the notification/lock screen until you swipe up to bring up your home.

Yeah. For comparison, wake your iPhone and just rest your thumb on the home button (don't press it). The phone unlocks, but the lock screen stays in place. The home screen doesn't open until your press the home button.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Yeah. For comparison, wake your iPhone and just rest your thumb on the home button (don't press it). The phone unlocks, but the lock screen stays in place. The home screen doesn't open until your press the home button.

it's actually configurable, a rarity for apple, although it's in accessibility, buried under 'Home Button -> Rest Finger to Open'

Although that setting does say "on iPhone with TouchID, ..." so I'm guessing 'look to open' isn't a thing?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/13/how-iphone-x-face-id-works/

Think I'm just going to spring for the top end X. Fuckit.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Face ID Works In The Dark and When Your Face is Obscured by Hats and Beards... but not on stage at a Keynote. :rimshot:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

Face ID Works In The Dark and When Your Face is Obscured by Hats and Beards... but not on stage at a Keynote. :rimshot:

I read somewhere that he had to unlock it first by code because it had just been rebooted.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Smashing Link posted:

I read somewhere that he had to unlock it first by code because it had just been rebooted.

MacRumors dug into the whole thing, seems unlikely because there was no message like with TouchID saying "gotta input your password after a reboot".

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/13/doubts-speculation-face-id-fail-iphone-x-keynote/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BGrifter posted:

MacRumors dug into the whole thing, seems unlikely because there was no message like with TouchID saying "gotta input your password after a reboot".

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/13/doubts-speculation-face-id-fail-iphone-x-keynote/

I’m guessing it’s the generic you need to input your passcode after a number of failed attempts (which is different than the reboot text) that you get with Touch ID.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m guessing it’s the generic you need to input your passcode after a number of failed attempts (which is different than the reboot text) that you get with Touch ID.

Yeah it sure looks like two failed attempts then the passcode thing. Apparently FaceID requires a passcode after two tries which jives with what happened on stage.

Somebody is getting fired today.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the new iphones still don't come with usb-c on the other end of the lightning cable :psyduck:

you can't connect it to your macbook unless you buy it as a separate item still??

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

logikv9 posted:

the new iphones still don't come with usb-c on the other end of the lightning cable :psyduck:

you can't connect it to your macbook unless you buy it as a separate item still??

Apple is a dongle company that happens to sell hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

logikv9 posted:

Almost no one actually plugs their phones directly into their computer anymore. Why would they factor that into what they pack into the box with the phone?

• Locked thread