Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
gently caress Steve Jobs. The cult of personality around him is gross and weird and based on a lie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

He was a complete rear end in a top hat but he got amazing products made as a result of it

You could say the same about Hitler.
:godwin:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

In the US nobody does upgrades anymore. its all payment plans.

Uhhhhhhhh.....

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vegetable posted:

my friends maybe it's time to rethink your buys, you don't need a thousand dollar phone

This is a bit disingenuous considering it's not really a phone and hasn't been for roughly ~8 years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Sphyre posted:

who on earth is going to buy the iphone 8?

Me. It is the exact same device as the iPhone X, except without the unnecessary extra few millimeters of screen space on the top and bottom, the dumb unnecessary FaceID system (complete with ANIMOJIS!!!), and it uses an Arabic numeral instead of a Roman one in its name.

Obviously I'm loving around but it doesn't look like there will be absolutely any difference performance-wise between the X and 8, and very few differences feature and design-wise. I'm actually rather shocked.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think Apple really hosed themselves by making TouchID 2.0 so good. Like, the #1 reason I want the 8 over the X is that I love TouchID so much.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's not like touch ID was perfect. Your skin had to make contact, so cold weather climates with gloves were a nuisance situation. Wet fingers sometimes cause problems. You still find yourself entering codes in many situations rather than using touchID. Yea, it's cool, but it's not so incredibly amazing that moving away from it is a bad thing per se.

Ummm pretty much everything you just said can also be said about touchscreen technology.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh great. Every time I want to lock my phone I’m also going to take a screenshot because a side lock button is still loving stupid.

Uhhh, you press both the lock and volume up button every time you lock your phone? I'm not sure I've ever done that. Are you sure you know how to hold a phone?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You also just get NOTHING for signing up for a 2 year contract anymore which is also ridiculous.

I mean, I'm not sure if anybody has explained this to you, I'm sure they have. So you know the only reason they were giving you like ~$200 off a phone for signing a 2-year contract was because they were baking that $200+ into the plans themselves? When I worked for Sprint like 8 or 10 years ago, an unlimited plan was $99 PER LINE. And that was with lovely 3G data. It was also the cheapest unlimited plan (actually the only unlimited plan for awhile) you could get. Now, you can get unlimited for 2 lines on Sprint for $99 TOTAL. That's how much plans have come down (let's just ignore all the throttling bullshit).

It's why I always laughed at these smug assholes that I tried to get to upgrade their phones that they'd had for 2 years already and they were all :smug: "I'm out of contract, why would I sign another 2-year agreement???" and all I could think was "Because you're paying for the phone anyways, why not at least get a NEW one." Especially since half those things were FREE back then.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Do you know how much wireless service costs in other countries? Cry me a river for these companies who are incurring virtually zero marginal cost in providing their overpriced lovely service. The idea that you think 1,200 dollars a year for loving zero marginal cost cell phone service is a good deal is mind boggling.

Do you know how much more infrastructure is involved in wireless service in the US compared to other countries?

You're not wrong, you're just making a terrible argument to prove your point.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Theophany posted:

Ya but I'd also have to live in a shoebox-sized apartment in Japan or Korea so...

And that kind of explains the difference. Japan is smaller than the state of California, but contains the population of California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, and Maryland combined. Rollout and maintenance of a wireless network (or even a fiber home internet network) is a lot more expensive over a large area with a relatively low population density than the opposite. Yes, the wireless carriers are ripping you off. So is every other big business. It's how they make money. But "it's cheaper in other countries!!!" doesn't really explain poo poo. Apples and oranges.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

What was the retail price of a Nokia brick phone back in the late 90s?

Palm Treo 600's were anywhere from $500-700 full retail back in 2003. That translates to roughly $700-1000 in today's dollars so smartphones haven't really gotten any more expensive.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Over There posted:

Just stick with Tmobile.

They have a program where you pay monthly for your phone, and once you hit the halfway point, usually at about a year, they will let you tear up your contract by turning in your phone for a new one. Also they will replace your phone for free if you break it I think about 3 times?

This is exactly how Apple's program works since it includes Applecare.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I have a question about Apple's upgrade program. So they buyback your old device if you're not already in the program. So if I check their website (or the buyback website they redirect you to) and it says they'll give me $375 for my iPhone 7, does that just come off the full price of the iPhone 8 or X? And then the rest is financed at 0% over 24 months?

So if I wanted the iPhone 8+, which retails for $799, minus the 375 is 424 divided by 24 months is $17.67/mo? Am I understanding that correctly or no?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

Those companies should probably stop taking billions of tax dollars to upgrade their infrastructure without doing it if they want to use your bullshit excuse, then.

I mean this is a dumb thing to continually argue about but the criminality of corporate America doesn't change the reality of the point I was making. It doesn't make the Japan/United States comparison suddenly apples to apples.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Unlocking the phone via face is not the same as opening the phone. The phone stays on the notification/lock screen until you swipe up to bring up your home.

Yeah. For comparison, wake your iPhone and just rest your thumb on the home button (don't press it). The phone unlocks, but the lock screen stays in place. The home screen doesn't open until your press the home button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

logikv9 posted:

the new iphones still don't come with usb-c on the other end of the lightning cable :psyduck:

you can't connect it to your macbook unless you buy it as a separate item still??

Almost no one actually plugs their phones directly into their computer anymore. Why would they factor that into what they pack into the box with the phone?

• Locked thread