Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
At work so I haven't had a chance to watch the keynote but Jesus Christ $1319 CAD. :psyduck:

I really wanted to talk myself into this but I was bracing for the $1200 the newspapers were saying and that was a huge stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Over There posted:

Just get a 8+ 64 GB

Yeah I skimmed on my coffee break and the 8 has the new CPU and wireless charging anyway so I'll happily upgrade to one of those. $929 CAD for a 64gb 8 feels way more reasonable.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mahoning posted:

I think Apple really hosed themselves by making TouchID 2.0 so good. Like, the #1 reason I want the 8 over the X is that I love TouchID so much.

Yeah giving up TouchID is not something I want to do.

Just got to the part where Hair Force One tried to demo FaceID and it didn't work. Hilarious.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Vegetable posted:

Why don't they have face id on the front and touch id on the back

It could even out the camera wart so you wouldn't need a case to make your iPhone lay flat.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Boris Galerkin posted:

That cutout looks like loving poo poo :barf:

Yeah they really should have made it a thin top bezel.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Face ID Works In The Dark and When Your Face is Obscured by Hats and Beards... but not on stage at a Keynote. :rimshot:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Smashing Link posted:

I read somewhere that he had to unlock it first by code because it had just been rebooted.

MacRumors dug into the whole thing, seems unlikely because there was no message like with TouchID saying "gotta input your password after a reboot".

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/13/doubts-speculation-face-id-fail-iphone-x-keynote/

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m guessing it’s the generic you need to input your passcode after a number of failed attempts (which is different than the reboot text) that you get with Touch ID.

Yeah it sure looks like two failed attempts then the passcode thing. Apparently FaceID requires a passcode after two tries which jives with what happened on stage.

Somebody is getting fired today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

False Toaster posted:

Curious. Couldn't they just have seamlessly integrated TouchID into the rear Apple logo with the X?

That would justify the existence of cases with that goofy Apple logo window cut out and that's a future nobody wants to live in. :colbert:

• Locked thread