Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

I've been wanting to replace my Fitbit with an Apple Watch, but I'll hold off until the battery life is doubled. I forget to charge my Fitbit all the time, and the ability to last a second day without charging is critical. I'd have also been more interested in a 4K Apple TV a year ago, but since then I have upgraded my TV, and my old Apple TV is just collecting dust. I have no need for a 4K Apple TV unless a ton of 4K content becomes available on something other than Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon.

Steps you take pootling about your apartment don't actually count. In any situation worth step-counting you're going to have your phone on you. It's built in gps-assisted counter is really good.

You don't need a watch unless you really want one for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Is there any way to watch this on an Android tablet or Chromebook? I know the Apple website is Safari or Edge only but I feel like there has to be a secret Youtube mirror or way to play it in VLC or something with the right link.

There's YT mirrors nearly every time, plus buckets of tech channels reshowing the stream and "REACTING" to it.
e: most Apple news sites seem to broadcast it too, without the weird tech caveats.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

This segment is a really nice ad about why you'd be better with any given console than an Apple TV.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Apple invented smartphone cameras?
They were laggy as gently caress on that point lol

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Apple collects the best light

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

He's just describing HEVC . . ?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

OH GOD THEIR VIDEO ENCODER DOES WHAT EVERY VIDEO ENCODER DOES! WHAT INNOVATION!

he literally described HEVC as though apple invented it

this is peak iPhone release

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

i literally already have that sky app

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

no one is going to do this jfc

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think he said "good enough for an iPhone"

these are literally the panels from various other phones released in the past 18months

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

iris sensors are 1 in 10mil but nice job apple

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

lmao

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

should have added 500billion more transistors

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

urgh they have no solution for the top chin during video

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

someone has been yelling in his ear to show that actually working lol

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

omg

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

is this real

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

its that big and its only 1.8?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

they havent mentioned its a new sensor, just a new image processor

so its not even going to be the #1 phone camera out the box

what the literal gently caress is this poo poo

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Over There posted:

So to get this straight, the features of the 10 rather than the 8 are learning to do everything without a home button and face id?

courage, to not use one

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

oh THERES the proprietary charger

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

logikv9 posted:

cops - "unlock your phone"
you - "no"
cops - "look over here"
you - "what? oh gently caress"

yeah but its gonna be REALLY easy to do this to friends

face recognition is fundamentally stupid

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

iphone X is the future, except its just an iphone with a samsung oled from 2015

okayy

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

lmao

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Has it been evolving rapidly? How so?

Some phones have like VR and other poo poo that no one cares about or uses?

Decent OLED is ~5 years old, great OLED is ~2 years old. Apple have been behind the screen-quality curve a while.
OLED is the only new thing on X [the faceid is just a workaround for no touchid] so to say they're leading the "future of phones" whilst being literally the last flagship to adopt it, at a price-point way out-of-line with the industry, is.
Well, its a thing.

Design wise, they've tried to go bezel-less and their implementation leaves a lot to be desired. The top bar sticks into video, are you serious??

Doesn't look like they're doing anything actually cool with OLED either (like always on displays) instead calling "touch to wake" revolutionary.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It doesn't matter if it's 100% accurate and can magically scan through ski masks whilst offering some theoretical 100% security.
Having used a nearly-instant face unlock it's annoying and goofy enough that most people will fall back to using pin / pattern / smart unlock (or just pin on iOS) instead.

If Apple insist on keeping biometrics-at-access for Apple Pay as well (as opposed to other systems where you can auth your device for a few minutes) it'll also make using that look stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pivo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HTXMhKWqnA

mkbhd here shows that videos are not always rendered around the notch; just when zoomed in. OLED magic still makes it disappear when viewing 16:9 content

This is dumb as poo poo; the zoomed content should just black-bar the top.

• Locked thread