Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

idk what exactly's going on here, but if they hollowed out that loaf and stuffed a bunch of sandwich filling in it, then party on wayne

its either that or one slice of ham and some shavings of lettuce between an entire loaf of bread, so im gonna optimistically go with you're option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/oncomingspork/status/940003563819876352

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
what the gently caress is ready player one and why is it now news everywhere

this is like god drat fidget spinners

you can provide your answer off the gently caress of my lawn

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

i don't recall people never shutting the gently caress up about great 60's pop culture in the 90s, or 70's poo poo in the naughty-aughties. what is it about the loving 80s

the 20 year rule started in the 70s, with happy days and other 50s nostalgia being a thing

the 80s had lots of 60s throwbacks with the return of hippies, increased popularity of the grateful dead, the whole paisley underground scene, etc.

90s had a ton of 70s throwbacks with grunge and big guitar rock coming back

there were also lots of brand new things going on at the same time

except for the fashion industry, which constantly tries to bring back the 70s whenever trying to do new things becomes too hard

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
i blame douglas adams and his needlessly specific scene descriptions

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/the_real_rotor/status/941022860885114880

when the internet is a small place :o:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

heh

quote:

Armada reads like a coming-of-age fantasy for people who came of age long ago; despite the fact that Zack Lightman is only 18 years old, he drives a 1989 Dodge Omni, watches ’80s movies like Say Anything, and can't stop listening to ZZ Top. We're told that he's just immersing himself in the beloved media of his dead father, but hearing a modern-day teenage character talk about ’80s culture with the intimacy and nostalgia of his 43-year-old creator feels more than a little contrived.
sounds like the title character from "juno", the expert on the era that they weren't even alive for

echinopsis posted:

what’s rp0
the prequel

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

heh

sounds like the title character from "juno", the expert on the era that they weren't even alive for

the prequel

you left out a lot of best parts

quote:

We're also told the government has been tracking the habits of its elite players, and when they arrive at their virtual battle stations, they find their favorite snacks waiting for them, their favorite songs queued up to accompany their virtual space fights, not to mention a “special strain of weed that helps people focus and enhances their ability to play videogames” that's been cultivated just for them. In one revealing moment, Zack calls his mom in midst of the alien invasion and says the words that burn in the heart of every gamer who has ever felt demeaned for the hours they lavish on their favorite hobby: “All those years I spent playing videogames weren't wasted after all, eh?”

Zack’s mom is one of the very few women in the book who get any airtime at all, as is his love interest, a fellow gamer recruit named Lex. You might wonder: What is Lex about? What motivates her? It doesn't matter. What's important about her is that she's a hot girl from Austin who gets his jokes, has “alabaster skin,” sports a seminude Tank Girl tattoo, and wants to make out with our hero after hearing that he's one of the best Armada players in the world:

“My Terra Firma ranking is too abysmal to say out loud,” I said, laying on the false modesty with a trowel. “But in the Armada rankings I'm currently sixth.”
Her eyes widened, and she swiveled her head around to stare at me.
“Sixth place?” she repeated. “In the world? No bullshit?”
I crossed my heart, but did not hope to die.
“That's some serious bill-paying skillage,” she said. “Color me impressed, Zack-Zack Lightman.”
“Color me flattered, Miss Larkin,” I replied.

It's a cringingly terrible and transparent bit of self-indulgence, one of many in the book that walks so close to the line of video game fan fiction that it becomes nearly indistinguishable.

quote:

But in a brief and fleeting moment of insight, Zack finally decides to close up the boxes and move on with his life. It was “high time [he] grew up,” he decides, adding that “the time had come for me to stop living in the past.”

The novel spends the next 300 pages doing the opposite.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/ben_rosen/status/940688249915293696

rolling stone has always been awful

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Ready Player One was far too joyously self-absorbed in its referential excesses to step back and examine what they might mean. It was still a page-turner, though.

I can't be the only one who noticed this atrocity

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

It'll never not be funny

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

prefect posted:

i hope steven spielberg falls down a well

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Agile Vector posted:

you say that in the past tense…

Well he's 45 now

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Who let the Amiga user out of their skunk fursuit

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fishmech posted:

Well he's 45 now
he's probably still doing it, was the implication

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Chris Knight posted:

the 20 year rule started in the 70s, with happy days and other 50s nostalgia being a thing

the 80s had lots of 60s throwbacks with the return of hippies, increased popularity of the grateful dead, the whole paisley underground scene, etc.

90s had a ton of 70s throwbacks with grunge and big guitar rock coming back

there were also lots of brand new things going on at the same time

except for the fashion industry, which constantly tries to bring back the 70s whenever trying to do new things becomes too hard

90s also had the weird ska thing happen. i knew a kid in high school who had a full on black and white pinstriped zoot suit with the fedora and everything. he was really good at swing dancing, could do all the moves and flips and twirls, etc. he was goddamn ridiculous (i said to myself whilst adorned in flannel and ripped jeans in the corner of the school dance, while every qt girl was literally standing in line for a turn to dance with him)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Roosevelt posted:

youre probably right that decades are getting blurred wrt whatevers popular. all i know is that early 90s was a lot of neon and now it's hitler youth and man bun haircuts. 2000 - 2010 has no identity for me

things from the early 2000s that i am not looking forward to becoming retro

nu-metal
boot cut pants with that weird bleach pattern on the legs
frosted tips

things from the early 2000s i want to see more of

pink velour tracksuits
frosted tips

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Roosevelt posted:

90s also had the weird ska thing happen. i knew a kid in high school who had a full on black and white pinstriped zoot suit with the fedora and everything. he was really good at swing dancing, could do all the moves and flips and twirls, etc. he was goddamn ridiculous (i said to myself whilst adorned in flannel and ripped jeans in the corner of the school dance, while every qt girl was literally standing in line for a turn to dance with him)
"drat"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

C.H.O.M.E posted:

things from the early 2000s that i am not looking forward to becoming retro

nu-metal
boot cut pants with that weird bleach pattern on the legs
frosted tips

things from the early 2000s i want to see more of

pink velour tracksuits
frosted tips
that burnt orange color for cars

I should rewatch that episode of bojack Horseman again

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the 1950s had a fair amount of nostalgia for the 1900-1910s good ol days. the first part of disneyland (opened 1955) that you entered was main street usa, with nickelodeons, barbershop quartets, stores with jars of penny candy, horse-drawn carriages, a train station with a steam locomotive, and all that

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
jnco jeans

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
white plastic

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

muckswirler posted:

Future RP1:

It was a chilly fall day, just like every day since yesterday. The leaves swirled around like a million multicolored spidermen lilting drunkenly through the finger family song. In an alley nearby, charlie brown was pissing in garfield's refrigerator, angry that he got his period before the rest of his class. SlayQueen TayTay had seen it all before. "I wonder if I'm gay?" Ronald McDonald Trump ejaculated from a telememe screen floating next to the Uber4One jitney. She was ready to make money moves, it wasn't me shakirashakira.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Disney is going to own like 90% of pop culture tv and film.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

Disney is going to own like 90% of pop culture tv and film.

and rupert murdoch will now be the biggest shareholder

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol is this a disney property now

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
insanely rounded car designs

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

the 1950s had a fair amount of nostalgia for the 1900-1910s good ol days. the first part of disneyland (opened 1955) that you entered was main street usa, with nickelodeons, barbershop quartets, stores with jars of penny candy, horse-drawn carriages, a train station with a steam locomotive, and all that

More 10s and 20s, which was also the cusp of America being non majority rural etc

Tons of Twilight Zone episodes were set in 1910 to 1930 for that reason, and a lot of shows like Leave It To Beaver were really about putting idealized 1920 white America with modern furniture and tech

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Meskhenet posted:

pretty much just a bland never ending run on

wayfinder posted:

insanely rounded

please dont post my dating profile in yospos

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't they already own all of that from the original IP acquisition? kicking it out of canon doesn't mean it stops existing and they stop owning it

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

why is copyright date on volume 3 newer than is the one is on volume 1 :mad:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Lysidas posted:

why is copyright date on volume 3 newer than is the one is on volume 1 :mad:

volume 5 was recorded in 2013 despite having a publishing date of 1984 explain that smart guy

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

volume 5 was recorded in 2013 despite having a publishing date of 1984 explain that smart guy
vol 5 is spec fic

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what could have been

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
is that ed norton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

is that ed norton

this was also the question i had