Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

This bears repeating.

Matthew Stafford is elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

No Butt Stuff posted:

The Patriots, noted poo poo dynasty

Noted poo poo team in the year of our Lord, 2017.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Quiet Feet posted:

I will never understand why people keep suggesting that Matt Patricia is some kind of super defensive genius and deserves a head coaching spot. I guess when I say some people I mean Pats fans. His teams have almost always been below-average and sometimes even outright bad.

yeah, there's times where they're leading in some statistical category and some talking heads will be blathering about how great their defense is but it's usually a mirage caused by the other team being down by enough that throwing the ball is the only option

they're usually not atrocious but they generally aspire to being average to a little bit above average

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intruder posted:

There he is

At least he's up front about it.

Shangri-Law School posted:

This bears repeating.

Shame they can never get a lucky break when it comes down to it in primetime.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

This bears repeating.

All the usual suspects

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

This bears repeating.

Why is the team always behind, then

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

a neat cape posted:

Seriously. You know what's better than a 4th quarter comeback? Winning the game in the first three

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 12, 2017

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Philip Rivers always delivers in prime time :discourse:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

Seriously. You know what's better than a 4th quarter comeback? Winning the game in the three

Also it should be noted that he still doesn't have any of those cone from behind wins against teams with winning records

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Eli Wiggum posted:

Philip Rivers always delivers in prime time :discourse:

New center, silent count, extremely loud stadium, mad that the ball didn't come out sooner. I get it.

It's funny though.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

49ers may be bad but going for it on every 4th down is ballsy and rules

Also would have succeeded every time if not for noted worthless player, Zane Beadles.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Geno's good at Twitter.

https://twitter.com/GenoSmith3/status/907675416059674624

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Blitz7x posted:

Both the Titans and Raiders played technically sound games, both offenses looked great, defenses were okay but there were no huge broken plays, no turnovers, no clownball. Just a solid game where both teams look good the whole way through which didn't happen in any other game

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Those three teams looked honestly good to me — not incredible, not perfect, but solidly good for the whole game, when all the teams I put in Probably Good seemed to have more serious flaws.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

evilweasel posted:

yeah, there's times where they're leading in some statistical category and some talking heads will be blathering about how great their defense is but it's usually a mirage caused by the other team being down by enough that throwing the ball is the only option

they're usually not atrocious but they generally aspire to being average to a little bit above average

The other thing is that whenever the defense starts to stink it's usually Belichick that you see coaching up the players on how to unfuck themselves. This was really obvious in Super Bowl 49. Patrica is less defensive coordinator and more defensive assistant or secretary or clerk or something.

See also: Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Dean Pees. Towering football intellects, all! :haw:

It's not as egregious as anybody who is Tom Brady's offensive coordinator, but still.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

seiferguy posted:

I was thinking about it, as players get stronger and faster, are we going to start seeing more and more bad offensive lines? My line of thought is that more strength will benefit those attempting to run around someone as opposed to someone who has to shuffle and block.

I know there's a lot of other issues at hand, like the rules regarding (a lack of) contact at practice which basically means offensive lines have to learn on the job as opposed to during the week. I know it's not just the Seahawks that have a poo poo line, I feel like it's been a growing problem.

I think it all the spread offenses that are being run in college. The pro scouts pick on the skill position players for not knowing how to read defenses or run routes, but OL play suffers too. 7 on 7 ball and up temp spread leaves holes in blocking schemes that the NFL cant catch up with.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

See also: Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Dean Pees. Towering football intellects, all! :haw:

Romeo was a legit DC. He just kept getting promoted beyond that point and everything fell apart.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Brandon Williams restructured his contract to give the Ravens some more cap room leading to speculation that Woodhead is dead and we need to sign another rb.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

Brandon Williams restructured his contract to give the Ravens some more cap room leading to speculation that Woodhead is dead and we need to sign another rb.

There's a perfectly healthy Matt Jones gathering dust on the Colts' practice squad

Is Jones just a complete dickhead or something? Sure he had some fumbling issues but he seemed competent enough that he shouldn't be almost out of the league a year later for pure football reasons

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kalli posted:

Just put flags on them. Black qbs get 20% smaller flags

more like 3/5ths

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Docjowles posted:

There's a perfectly healthy Matt Jones gathering dust on the Colts' practice squad

Is Jones just a complete dickhead or something? Sure he had some fumbling issues but he seemed competent enough that he shouldn't be almost out of the league a year later for pure football reasons

He's really explosive as an athlete but has no vision for running and fumbles a bunch

Basically Knile Davis

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Actually the last time I saw him play he looked like he sucked

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

a neat cape posted:

Defense bad

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

a neat cape posted:

Also it should be noted that he still doesn't have any of those cone from behind wins against teams with winning records

Someone post Matt Stafford's W-L record against winning teams.

Wait, I'll do it: 5-46

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

geno smith was 2 blocks away from me

gently caress

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

seiferguy posted:

He doesn't get a chance for #6 until at least the Falcons game

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

This bears repeating.

Idk I just think this is the weirdest stat to use to explain eliteness. Like look at the teams you're comparing to, browns/jags/49ers/etc, and the Lions have just as many looming losses as these garbage teams but are able to pull ahead and make them wins. Why? Is it just Stafford deciding to play well? Is the Lions defense comparable to the browns/Jags/49ers?

Stafford had 8 come from behind wins and Carr had 7, but Oaklands defense was hot garbage. Eventually you need to ask why the first three quarters didn't go so hot

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Anybody else think Gronk looked washed up? He was sloooooow.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Leon Einstein posted:

Anybody else think Gronk looked washed up? He was sloooooow.

As long as he's still huge and impossible to tackle I think he'll be fine for a few more years.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He was worn out from hurricane research.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

SKULL.GIF posted:

As long as he's still huge and impossible to tackle I think he'll be fine for a few more years.
I'm not saying he's done, but I think Kelce is better at the moment.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

seiferguy posted:

This is the dumbest loving statistic. Do people honestly think that Stafford withers into a pumpkin the moment a team that's gonna go 9-7 steps onto the field?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is the dumbest loving statistic. Do people honestly think that Stafford withers into a pumpkin the moment a team that's gonna go 9-7 steps onto the field?

Yeah who do they think he is, Playoffs Andy Dalton?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
No. They just think he's bad against good competition.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

Happened before Sunday's game. Certainly could be used for that, but it was done because the Ravens were up against the cap anyway. That being said:
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/907692963211423744

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Idk I just think this is the weirdest stat to use to explain eliteness. Like look at the teams you're comparing to, browns/jags/49ers/etc, and the Lions have just as many looming losses as these garbage teams but are able to pull ahead and make them wins. Why? Is it just Stafford deciding to play well? Is the Lions defense comparable to the browns/Jags/49ers?

Stafford had 8 come from behind wins and Carr had 7, but Oaklands defense was hot garbage. Eventually you need to ask why the first three quarters didn't go so hot

From the good folks at Football Outsiders:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A winrate of 11% against good teams with a sample size of over 50 games is pretty damning.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's less dumb than the "comeback" statistic.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

If I recall correctly, only Brady and Wilson have winning records against winning teams. Not that 5-46 is good, but that's an indictment of the Lions, IMO.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

5-46 is bonkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

So the defense makes Stafford bad for three quarters? Cool

• Locked thread