Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Problem description: I built this computer in 2012, and aside from a GPU failure two years ago, it's been rock solid.

Within the past week, I've gotten back into music production, and in that time I've had two "Your computer is low on memory" errors, with the popup box recommending that I shut down and restart Firefox or Windows Explorer. Both times I was working on music in the Reaper DAW and had 3-5 Firefox tabs (email, discord, the forums, etc) open on my 2nd monitor. I hadn't been paying attention to my RAM usage, but during normal use, it's very rare for it to go above 40%, even while streaming video with tons of tabs open. In the time between these two errors, I have used Firefox as normal for hours and hours without issue. I have a Rainmeter skin displaying system stats, and it listed RAM usage at around 45% at the time of each error.

Music projects can get huge and unwieldy, with hundreds of tracks and dozens of plugins running at the same time, but that wasn't the case here; I was working on the beginnings of very small projects both times this happened. The only plugins common to both projects are ReaEQ and ReaComp, standard Reaper plugins that I've used for years with no problems.

In the first instance, I was able to close and restart both Reaper and Firefox and continue working as normal. When it happened today, my screen went black and I had to reboot the PC by holding down the power button. It's not a debilitating problem, but I'd like to fix it before it turns into one, and I'd like to be able to work without worrying about random crashes.

Attempted fixes: I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic, which revealed zero memory issues. I have been monitoring my CPU/GPU temps, but nothing seems out of the ordinary. Some Reaper forum users have had this problem, but it mostly seems to be people using 32 bit Reaper on 64 bit systems, which is not the case for me.

Recent changes: Nothing I can think of.

--

Operating system: 64 bit Windows 10 Home

System specs:
Motherboard: ASRock H77m
CPU: i3-3225
GPU: R9 270
RAM: 8GB (2x4 GB Ripjaws DDR3)
SSD:120GB 840 Evo
HDDs:1TB Seagate Internal, 2TB Seagate External, 500GB WD External
USB Peripherals: Focusrite Scarlett Solo audio interface, MPK mini MIDI keyboard (These are both plugged in and running while I'm working and unplugged when I'm not. I'll often quickly switch between the audio interface and my regular speakers, if that matters.)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

See if your OS is set like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga_55zPKvtM

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Hmm, this is how it looked when I checked the Virtual Memory tab:

It's hard to read, but the C: drive (the SSD) is listed as "System managed." So I already had "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" checked, but all but one of my drives have no page file size allocated. Should I manually set each one to "System managed size?"

Also, it says that the recommended page file size for all drives is ~2GB, but I have 12.3GB allocated on the SSD alone, which seems... wrong. Do I need to do anything about that?

Edit: I should mention that all of my music production (recording live audio, chopping up samples, etc) is done on the F drive, if that indeed is the source of the problem.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 12, 2017

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Update: I manually changed each drive to "system managed size." Since then, I've had two more crashes, both exactly like the previous ones, so I'm officially out of ideas.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I wonder if it's some kind of memory leak issue. I haven't seen those with programs/OSs nearly as often as they were with older OSs/programs but I'm not 100% sure.

I'd try running http://memtest.org/ overnight at some point. It's a more thorough test than the OS RAM test.

You could try a larger virtual memory (custom size setting) I suppose.

• Locked thread