Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Glazius posted:

I imagine somebody can only deploy one Pokemon, regardless of the links they have? Or can they actually get 'em out in pairs and such?

Well you can bring in 6 Warriors at a time, who each bring 1 Pokemon, so 6 Pokemon total. Sound familiar?

FoolyCharged posted:

Does evolution exist? I assume so from the talk about training magikarp.

Yup, but unless you grind one Pokemon a lot early it won't start happening until mid-game and even then evolution has different conditions in this game compared to the main series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Yup, but unless you grind one Pokemon a lot early it won't start happening until mid-game and even then evolution has different conditions in this game compared to the main series.

Oh please tell me you actually have to get the Magikarp to jump over a waterfall for it to evolve, this would own :allears:

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Kikas posted:

Oh please tell me you actually have to get the Magikarp to jump over a waterfall for it to evolve, this would own :allears:

I don't remember from my play through. I think I wasn't patient enough. So count me in the ranks of really glad you're doing this, Cross!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 4: Fighting Off Foes

Ransei

...!

Ah, Azai. I'm sorry to turn up out of the blue like this, but I'd like to ask you a favor. From what I've seen, the Pokemon really seem to take a shine to you. So I was thinking I'd find it easier to meet some on my travels if I were with you.

Oh, and it's not just me actually. I have a friend who feels the same way...

Azai... I've seen you fight. You're good. And Ransei is under threat from this dark wave of evil. I want to watch you resist against it. Firsthand.

Lord Azai, these are two of Ransei's most famous Warriors... This is a real endorsement of your leadership!

This is one way to start off an update! That password last update was for this pretty special event that lets you recruit Motonari and Motochika completely free! This is actually a Wi-Fi event, but unlike the main series where they're impossible to get now, these Wi-Fi events were always available as in-game passwords long after the event itself ended naturally. There's a few more events like this, but only one other is actually worth your time.

Alright, this month is us going against Pugilis, so let's do a few things beforehand, like recruitment and links!

Unless something crazy happens in the battle itself, I'll only be showing this off.

"similar by any chance?"

That's 2 more warriors crossed off the list. Many more to go!

Oh go on then, since I'm here.

Very well! This place produces a strange energy, see--one that summons wild Pokemon to the area for a period of one month! You should use the Power Plant if you want to strengthen your link with your partner Pokemon or if you want to summon some shy Pokemon that are difficult to meet! Use it wisely, okay?

Hrmmm, sounds pretty useful, let's give it a try.

What did it change?

Uh, does it only apply after a month has passed? Or is it too early for the plant to affect anything? Well whatever, it'll be more useful later on.

Let's get this guy.

Ravine

While Flame Burst is pretty meh if you don't hit the Pokemon dead on, Electro Ball could do a lot of damage depending on how much faster you are.

See where I'm screwing up? Joltik here is Yasutomo's Perfect Link. Now I check Perfect Links at the start of the month and I really should've double checked to make sure, but I don't believe I planned this at all. I think I'm just registering Yasutomo, so this is random chance. Do I realise it's the Perfect Link, even with the gold symbol staring me in the face? Do I gently caress.

See, I do Ujichika! What the hell am I doing?

Linking with this Joltik would've been REALLY helpful to focus on the Pansear, but it kept getting in the way.

So we end the battle on turn 6. Drat. I'll go over Ujihiro when we (hopefully) encounter him again. And we'll need to find another Joltik. Oh well, slip ups like this are gonna happen, I can guarantee it!

Let's forget all about what just happened and go fight Fighting types with 2 Normal types. Yeah!

Invasion

I've been waiting for you.

Waiting? What do you-?

The so-called Warlords of this area are pathetic weaklings. Invading their kingdoms would be no fun at all. Something does seem to be kicking off in the north... But that's still far away. And now you're here. I think this could be the most fun I've had in years!

VS Pugilis

Ooh, we've got banners again, but with a twist! The twist is not that great.

So to make the 5 turns trickier, if you're standing on the ring's edge, you'll get knocked down into the pit below if you get hit by an attack. This is gonna be pretty tough... for the AI. They cannot handle this system at all and it is stupidly easy to manipulate.

As you'd expect with banners, the AI is beelining for them immediately. Having 2 levitators on our team means we're not so congested.

2. Oh yeah, I suppose I should mention the Ralts and Chingling. The big reason for doing the event is that Motonari comes with a Ralts and Motochika comes with a Chingling, two Pokemon we won't be encountering for a little bit. This makes them perfect candidates to make Pugilis much easier, especially if you're having a hard time. It'll just be for this fight, they'll be back to their Perfect Links of Snivy and Oshawott before long.

Excellent AI tactics there. I'm not sure if the order they move is set, or if it's random each turn.

Alright, the banners have been claimed, now we need to deal with those on it before the others start pushing our faces in.

Not if you have something better to do next month you won't.

It is a super bad idea to let Jigglypuff, or even Eevee, really, fight in this battle. So Eevee will snipe opponents off the ledge, while Jigglypuff will ring the Fight Bell, which increases everyone's Attack. I've never seen the AI use their bell on the opposite side. Ever.

Shimazu Yoshihiro was the second son of Shimazu Takahisa and was a skilled general during the Sengoku period. While pressured to surrender against Hideyoshi by his older brother, Shimazu Yoshihisa (not in this game), Yoshihiro held power in the clan despite his brother at the head. He was unable to stop the might of Hideyoshi, so while under him Yoshihiro was instrumental in the Battle of Sacheon, defeating a force of 37k with just 7000.

Niiro Tadamoto was a retainer of Yoshihiro's brother.

Shimazu Toshihisa was Yoshihiro's younger brother and served as senior retainer of the Shimazu Clan. He was a commander when Hideyoshi invaded Kyushu.

Kimotsuki Kanemori was a retainer of Yoshihiro's brother. Weird they have two of his retainers, but not himself.

Shimazu Tadatsune was Yoshihiro's third son and succeeded him as daimyō of Satsuna. As a powerful lord, he formally submitted to Tokugawa Ieyasu, becoming part of the extended family and fought alongside his father in the invasion of Korea.

Confusion's long range is real nice, letting you hit Pokemon on banners while you stand on your banner.

Alright, Pansage and Timburr should just stand on the banner.

Well one out of two ain't bad, but drat that Timburr hits hard. Thankfully Eevee is pretty light. Confusion is an interesting status, there's a chance that your Pokemon will just perform its turn by itself, like it was an AI opponent. It can be a bit annoying.

Down you go.

Goddamn Darumaka you're amazing.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ring the bell at the start of the turn. That makes Darumaka even more impressive.

We've got the centre stage under our control, so now we need the banners.

Only 3 uses of the bell and then it's gone. And now we have all 4 banners.

Not knowing whether you're going to win or lose--that's the true thrill of the battlefield!

Uh, okay?

Now we need to defend, which is gonna be tricky when Yoshihiro finally arrives.

Ahhhhhh jesus. Now imagine if that had been on Eevee.

Now we're past turn 4 we need to knock out everyone with either Ralts or Chingling. Should be easy enough.

Oh god.

So long as you're healed by next month, it's all cool.

Now you might think I'm losing it, but I need Motochika to take out Gurdurr and his warrior skill will let me net the kill.[/i]

Oh yeah, Ralts gets that ability. Might've been more useful to use it earlier in the turn then, whoops!

...did you just leave him on 1 health?

You motherfucker.

Motherfucker!!!

Okay, we can breathe a bit easier now. Recruiting Yoshihiro is absolutely something you want to do.

Ow

We even managed to recruit the last guy on the last turn! And since we already have every banner, the battle automatically ends.

Victory!

Absolutely flawless.

Long Day

You are a worthy winner. But this is all part of the rich tapestry of battle. Victory tastes all the sweeter once you have known the bitterness of defeat. Anyway, congratulations. You won a battle that will be talked about for years to come.

Another kingdom down!

Are you always this pleased with yourselves?

...Ah!

Surely you are aware of the crisis facing Ransei as we speak...

Looming

Nobunaga, who had been gathering his forces in the north of Ransei, had conquered eight kingdoms himself. Just two kingdoms remained:

Terrera, under Shingen's command, and Illusio, Kenshin's kingdom. Both were renowned throughout Ransei as Warlords of great strength. Indeed, even Nobunaga himself was said to fear them...

Long Day

So do I have to say what we're all thinking? ...I guess I do. Azai, you've got to get Shingen and Kenshin on your side. There are no other options...

Ransei

It sounds like there's just 2 kingdoms left before Nobunaga. Maybe they'll be nice and easy so we can take them over no problem?

... Okay, we're not ready! Like at all.

Hey look, it's a shiny Perfect Link, let's ignore our impending doom and have some fun!

Well that was fun, who's next?

Another Perfect Link, yaaaaaaaaay Perfect Links!

And another one. Woo, yay, fun.

Uhhh... oh! Here's something interesting, our first Warlord in the wild. You can tell a Warlord is in a kingdom by a gold person shape on the region map. Let's get Muneshige.

Garden

The Sky Gardens look really cool and have jump pads, something we'll be seeing more of later.

Wheeeeeeee. As we get more and more Perfect Links I'll be prioritising using them in battle, since we should train them up.

Feels a bit mean ganging up on a Pichu.

Oh this is just the beginning. You thought Darumaka was strong, how about a Fighting type in a gen where Fighting was crazy good along with a Warlord with real high Power? Now that's strong.

Good job team.

Ransei

We'll be sure to train up Muneshige, since Starly would be a lot better evolved. ...alright we're out to things to do, let's fight the really strong scary guys.

Kenshin's army has lots of Warriors who are partnered with Psychic-type Pokemon... And they're all pretty skilful. We mustn't let our guard down!

Shingen's army has Ground-type Pokemon... And Warriors partnered with all sorts of other Pokemon, too. There's no doubt about it--we're in for a tough fight.

Uh yeah, we're totally ready to fight Illusio. Now you can only fight one of Kenshin or Shingen, so you might be thinking it's time for a vote? Nah, since I've got savestates we'll be taking on Illusio in the LP officially and then fight Shingen afterwards, before going back to the true file.

Invasion

Alas... Your abilities are not yet comparable to mine. It would not be wise for me to indulge the request of one so weak.

Should you truly wish to face him in battle, you must grow stronger first.

...!

Wh-What?

Long Day

What are we going to do, Lord Azai? While we're wasting time here, Nobunaga is probably...

...?!

Lord Azai! Warriors from Illusio are attacking our kingdom!

...!

Invasion

The one who so unwisely attempted to invade Illusio... Enthusiasm is meaningless if you do not have the requisite talent, after all. I am here to measure the extent of your strength. To see whether you would really be a match for Kenshin...

VS Chrysalia

What a twist, we're defending the kingdom we initiated the attack from. Due to the map connections this can happen in either Chrysalia or Pugilis.

Regardless if you're attacking or defending, the victory conditions are the same for a kingdom, so you'll still have to control the banners for 5 turns in Pugilis. And since they're invading, the opponents get to move first. Also, you might have noticed something...

We're on the side Yoshimoto was on! This applies to all maps in the game when you're defending and it's really cool.

So who are we fighting against? Lady Aya, or Aya-Gozen, was the half-sister of Uesugi Kenshin and mother of Uesugi Kagekatsu. -gozen in an honorary suffix, as unless you were a male government figure, you didn't have a surname. Women did get surnames, like with Ginchiyo, if they became head of their clan for whatever reason. Otherwise common people and women just had the one name. She recommended Naoe Kanetsugu serve under Kagekatsu.

Naoe Kanetsugu was a samurai that served under two Uesugi daimyōs, Uesugi Kenshin and Uesugi Kagekatsu. He served first as a koshō (page, or servant) to Kenshin and rose through the ranks to become an outstanding commander, dictating what the Uesugi clan should do against the Tokugawa clan, before they were eventually overwhelmed and surrendered.

Uesugi Kagekatsu was a daimyō and samurai, succeeding Kenshin after his death after defeating his adopted son, Uesugi Kagetora, for the inheritance. He married Takeda Shingen's daughter and became a powerful general under Hideyoshi. He was also the first to plot against Tokugawa Ieyasu, in part by allying himself with Ishida Mitsunari.

Kojima Yatarō was a samurai under Kenshin and was one of his leading generals, his ferocity in combat giving him the nickname Demon Kojima. He also wore a grinning oni helmet and wielded a kanabō, a spiked club associated with oni, furthering his reputation as The Ogre as he was sometimes called.

Osen no kata was wife of Naoe Nobutsuna and then later Naoe Kanetsugu. There's more on the JP wiki.

Cheeky bit of back and forth.

Alright, let's take out the Kirlia this turn.

Ah but of course.

Well that is pretty annoying, but thankfully the AI uses their healing skills the moment they've taken damage, or when they're close enough to fainting that they might not get a chance to use it.

Don't jinx it you prick!

Let's focus on the Drilbur on this side, I feel like it could be a problem.

Okay we might be in trouble here.

Like a lot of trouble.

Finally Darumaka is freed, but why did you Lullaby the Abra??? Gahhhhhh. While you might remember some of the locations of the fences from the first time you fought in this kingdom, having the map flipped around will trip you up.

Chop chop.

Oh goody, Freeze. Your Pokemon can't do anything, but thankfully your Warrior can if you need to cure it, or use a very useful healing skill that everyone could really use.

Pfft, whatever.

Well gently caress me I guess, jesus christ on a making GBS threads stick.

Keep us alive magic girl!

I brought Oshawott to help fight the Drilbur, but all it did was get caught in fencing and die to Dig. Dig, by the way, is a terrifying move that will snipe your Pokemon without them being able to stop it happening. I forgot how dangerous Dig was in this game, so I'm gonna prioritise it next time.

This guy is really annoying me.

We are kinda winning, but it's been an uphill struggle, let's be honest.

Another battle where Darumaka was cruelly screwed over destroying everything.

Get outta here.

So yeah, that did comparable damage to Gurdurr with +1 Attack. Do not sleep around Dig.

All that's left is the Drilbur and the Abra. And let's be honest I'm not counting the Abra as an actual opponent.

I am getting my rear end kicked.

There we go, my strategy of leaving the most dangerous enemy until last worked flawlessly.

Oh yeah, my Warrior Skill. Woo range.

Victory!

Definitely a toughie, but that's because the map is fuckin BULLSHIT

Long Day

The love you feel towards your Pokemon is plain to see. Now, you are strong enough... I believe dear Kenshin will agree to do battle with you. I, for one, am looking forward to it.

But you saved the day, Lord Azai! Lord Azai...?

...!!

Warlord Evolved

...huh. That's new.

Intrigue

Azai... You look... What on earth...?! Are you...? Is this...? Warrior transformation...?! I remember hearing about this... Much like Pokemon can evolve... Warriors are capable of transforming! I have only heard of a few instances of this ever happening before in all of Ransei. But legend has it that Warriors become much more powerful when they transform! Maybe now you'll be strong enough to take on Shingen and Kenshin, Lord Azai!

Sure, human evolution. Seems legit. We'll be going more into our newfound power next update when we take on both Kenshin and Shingen.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 24, 2018

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I noticed that Motochika's maximum link with Oshawott is 90%, even though it was claimed that it's his perfect link. Is that because its evolutions are the perfect link Pokemon? If that's the case, does the game tell you whether a Pokemon you recruit has an evolved form that's a perfect link when the base form isn't?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I forgot the whole human evolution thing, goodness. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Epicmissingno posted:

I noticed that Motochika's maximum link with Oshawott is 90%, even though it was claimed that it's his perfect link. Is that because its evolutions are the perfect link Pokemon? If that's the case, does the game tell you whether a Pokemon you recruit has an evolved form that's a perfect link when the base form isn't?

That's indeed the case, upon evolution they'll become Perfect Links. I don't think the game tells you though, but 90% is too high a Link for a random Pokemon, so you could guess.

Also this is just adorable.

Look at that grin!

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
I love the partner reactions, it's one of the best things in this game!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Ah, we're now past the point where I stopped. Paused to do some grinding after seeing the psychic kingdom's power total, didn't get to see the wonder of human evolution. :psyduck:

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
I don't think Ekei and Sessai are genderswapped. Apparently all of the characters who have that sprite were historically men, so it's probably meant to be an (effeminate) old man and not an old woman. Does the game ever refer to them as women?

SkuttyB
Nov 5, 2010

Im attempting to play along with the LP, after not really getting very far first time round. Is it necessary to get perfect links for every warrior or will their starting mons still do the job just fine?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh no, we've synchronized with the Eevee!

Seriously though, given all the ways that little guy can break, I wonder what they have planned for progressing him.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think I ever realized the fighting bell was there. Or that you could ring it for an attack boost?!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Glazius posted:

Oh no, we've synchronized with the Eevee!
:golfclap: It's true, this LP and I have a perfect link.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Epicmissingno posted:

This is something that I probably could've gone into more detail by now, but yes, while every Warrior has a Perfect Link with one line of Pokemon, Warlords tend to only have the last two in an evolution line as Perfect Links. Basically the Pokemon that appear in cutscenes to emote along with the character are the perfect links. Every Warlord has a Perfect Link with two Pokemon at a minimum, with a couple of exceptions (you can imagine Azai has a Perfect Link with all of the Eeveelutions). Will you know if a Pokemon is a Perfect Link or not for a Warlord that doesn't tell you on the basic stage? Nope! You're just guessing, since if you link with a Pokemon that matches with the Warlord's affinity, it's possible that no matter the evolution, the max link is 90%, or hell, even 98%, like with Ginchiyo and Shinx (though Luxio and Luxray are her Prefect Links) There are full lists out there of all the Pokemon a Warrior can link with and they all have different caps, so even the gold symbol above the Pokemon isn't the perfect indicator of Perfect Links. Now at the same time...

SkuttyB posted:

Im attempting to play along with the LP, after not really getting very far first time round. Is it necessary to get perfect links for every warrior or will their starting mons still do the job just fine?

Not at all, I'm just doing it so I have more things to do inbetween months. You can get through this game just fine relying on Warlords (which you should get the Perfect Links for) or on Warriors that start with really good Pokemon, like Rikyu. In fact, super effective damage is basically king here, so if you have lots of links with lots of different Pokemon types, then you can use whatever you want basically, but I'm sticking with Perfect Links only in most cases to make things a bit more interesting and tricker. I'm also not grinding... like at all so the updates are snappy and we go to new places all the time.

NullBlack posted:

I don't think Ekei and Sessai are genderswapped. Apparently all of the characters who have that sprite were historically men, so it's probably meant to be an (effeminate) old man and not an old woman. Does the game ever refer to them as women?

I don't think their gender ever comes up. If they are male then that's my bad for assuming otherwise, but I really don't know. Only important Warlords really get cutscenes and since you can have any number of Warriors at any one time, the game never assumes you have any certain character, so once you've conquered a kingdom, the people you fought against aren't appearing in the story again, since the game has to assume you potentially didn't recruit them.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
My mind mentally substituted ‘Wailord’ for ‘Warlord’ and I only caught myself near the end of that post. For a brief moment the game was much more interesting (though a little confusing).

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Wailmer and Wailord are not in this game, alas. Also:

Aithon posted:

Confession: since it's a Pokemon thread, I keep reading "Warlord" as Wailord.

Inadequately posted:

My mind mentally substituted ‘Wailord’ for ‘Warlord’ and I only caught myself near the end of that post. For a brief moment the game was much more interesting (though a little confusing).

That makes two.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

That makes two.

Three

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
I catch myself doing it off-and-on, so make that three and a half.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 5: Kenshin and Shingen

Garden

Welcome back, let's get a Perfect Link, oh yeah!

Ravine

And another one! Man, hopefully this keeps up forever.

When you're done poisoning everyone, I'd like to recruit you. Oh yeah, who were those guys?

Kamata Masatoshi was a vassal of the Shimazi clan, under Yoshihiro.

Kawakami Hisaaki was also a vassal of the Shimazu clan.

Yowch. We won't be taking down Illusio this month, we need to recruit Yoshimoto (who will actually be pretty handy), as well as test out our new evolution.

Payback! A Warlord Evolution is pretty nifty, not only increasing your stats, as well as Capacity, but also changing your Skill and your best Perfect Link (usually the last evolution in the line you can Perfect Link with). It's very worth evolving all your Warlords... except we can't do that just yet, our MC's evolution was story related, we'll have to wait a little while for the others, alas. Oh yeah, our new Skill, Courage, increases Attack by one stage as well as Range. Very handy.

Alright, let's wail on Yoshimoto and get him. Abe Motozane was a vassal of the Imagawa clan.

Bah

Remember to recruit Warlords with your own Warlords.

Onto the next month!

Couple more Perfect Links (meaning Magikarp is all done!) and we're ready to fight Illusio.

Ransei

Bug-type Pokemon and Dark-type Pokemon would be a wise choice against him. But Fighting-type and Poison-type Pokemon will probably struggle.

I hope we're ready for this.

Invasion

I sense... that you are not as weak as you were. I have been waiting for this moment. It is time to prove yourself in battle. Prove that you are worthy of being my opponent!

VS Illusio

A banner battle, eh? Should be easy enough.

Hrm, not really. Not only are there floating platforms, there's 3 sets of 2 linked teleporters that change colour each turn. Thankfully they don't move, but it usually means you're waiting around each turn for them to link up to where you want to go. There's 4 flags to claim, so this usually ends up as a bit of a long battle. Also I wish the orange portal was Red, but maybe it would clash too badly?

Best to let the enemies stumble towards us. If you have a hard time getting around this map, then the AI has an even worse time.

Kanetsugu would look more intimidating without his doofy hat. Still, character design in this game is fantastic.

The Floating Cubes move back and forth on a set path to allow you to move about kinda easily (but not hugely). Thankfully, every time I've played this map Kenshin stands on the banner, which is good, cause you don't want him running around destroying everyone. Cause he will. Oh yeah, speaking of him...

Uesugi Kenshin was a daimyō of the Echigo Province after being adopted by the Uesugi Clan. Fierce on the battlefield, he was also an extremely skilled administrator who invested and grew local industries and trade, creating a rise in the standard of living in Echigo. He was honourable, had great military expertise, a long standing rivalry with Takeda Shingen and believed in the Buddhist god of war, Bishamonten.

Coming over one at a time for easy pickings. If both portal openings are being stood on, then neither Pokemon will teleport at the end of their turn, which Cubchoo is accidentally doing for Eevee. This is pretty handy as Kirlia can't do anything, can't move, can't attack, it's pretty great.

Let's recruit everyone, baby!

Hehe.. You seem to be enjoying yourself, Brother. But you should not make light of your enemies, Kenshin. If you believe you have justice on your side, you must prove it on the battlefield.[/i]

Abra incoming! I guess Cubchoo really wants to use the portal. Well I'm not moving... yet.

Brah, what is it with you and Ponigiri?

Stop that!

Thank you.

We'll send Eevee back in case Abra gets backup and we'll get ready to take on Cubchoo.

I'm fine leaving the banner unguarded, as Cubchoo will prioritise going for that and we can wail on it some more. So long as the enemy doesn't have all the other banners, you can use them as bait no problem. But remember to claim them back!

Alright, this divide and conquer strategy is working quite nicely.

We could have less of that, however.

If we actually want to recruit Aya, then we need a Warlord over here. And since we're past the 4 turn limit, it needs to be through super effective damage.

Now it's onto the right side.

I love how useless Kenshin is being.

Well look who finally decided to show up. We'll have to bring Yoshimoto back if we want to recruit him.

That's another one down.

Assault on the last 2 banners.

Down boy.

Oh yeah, the Drilbur guy stayed in one spot too. Man if both him and Kenshin had been roaming around, we'd have been in some real trouble!

Only two left to go, should be easy enough with our new power.

Uh, hmm, that was not a lot of damage.

I thought I'd just weaken the Kirlia so Pineco could knock it out like the loving idiot strategist I am. We'll recruit him later, probably.

poo poo, this isn't good.

Alright everyone, you need to help out.

Drat. Oh well, you can have Eevee or Jigglypuff faint and not automatically lose, that would be a dick move. But what are we to do?

That, basically. Always bring a Pokemon with a shoving move so you can win these banner battles. No one said we had to take out Kenshin, right?

Overall, while the terrain is annoying to get around, the AI is super easy to manipulate in banner battles. Now if Kenshin had actually moved around the field, then we would've been hosed.

Intrigue

I am forced to acknowledge your talents on the battlefield. Under you command, Azai, my might will be of use in bringing righteousness to this world. And you, Nemesis... I know you are there. Show yourself.

I watched your battle against Kenshin, Azai. And it confirmed what I've been feeling for a while. I, too, want to join your army.

My nemesis and I, united at last...

I never thought I'd see the day!

Neither did I...

My goodness! You look happy, Kenshin.

Lord Kenshin and Lord Shingen are among the most powerful Warlords in all Ransei. To have them fighting for your army is quite a coup, Lord Azai!

Ransei

Regardless of what you do in the battle, you will recruit Kenshin and Shingen. Everyone else you will need to recruit normally.

Long Day

Indeed. We will face battles more difficult than any we have experienced before...

Yeah... But before all that... I've made us something to eat! Go ahead, enjoy!

Ahh! This does look tasty. How considerate of you! Very well, let's have ourselves a little feast in celebration, shall we?

Azai's army resolved to take this fleeting moment to relax and enjoy themselves.

Looming

...?!

What is it that you desire?

I desire... Lord Azai to find the legendary Pokemon... and bring peace to Ransei!

Ha... How amusing. I should like to see you try and make that wish come true. Defeat my subordinates and we shall see. Nobunaga will be waiting for you in Dragnor.

Stars

I'm sorry I didn't say anything before but... Nobunaga is my brother. That's how I know... That's how I know that he's serious. We have to stop him, Lord Azai!

We can't let that happen. That's why I decided to join you, Lord Azai. I know it's going to be tough, but... We must battle against the Warriors of Nobunaga's army. We'll start with Avia, Viperia, Cragspur, and Yaksha.

Well that was quite the twist. Now we're gonna go back in time slightly and fight against Shingen instead.

Ransei

Shingen's army has Ground-type Pokemon... And Warriors partnered with all sorts of other Pokemon, too. There's no doubt about it--we're in for a tough fight.

What brings you here, anyway? You wish to challenge me to a battle?

Wh-Wha-?! Lord Azai is serious!

Oh, yes, of course... I'm sorry... It's just the thought of it... You know, I'd be happy to do battle... But you're just no match for me at the moment, Azai. Though there is one here...

...?

Uh... Never mind. Come back when you've toughened up a bit, all right, Azai?

Wh-What?!

Invasion

And then you know what comes next.

I'm here on Lord Shingen's orders. I believe it has something to do with that visit you paid to Terrera... I am here to challenge you to battle! Come--to the battlefield!

VS Chrysalia

Well he's pretty straight to the point. We're facing a different set of peeps, but the objective is the same: beat 'em up.

Ah, good start. If you're wondering if I've learned where these fences are, the answer is no.

Sanada Yukimura, or Sanada Nobushige as his actual name, was a samurai and a leading general in the Siege of Osaka. He married the adopted daughter of Hideyoshi and the Sanada clan, surviving the destruction of the Takeda clan, eventually became Hideyoshi's vassal, after drifting between strong daimyōs due to sudden independance after the incident at Honnō-ji. When Tokugawa Ieyasu attacked Uesugi Kagekatsu, Yukimura joined with Mitsuhide, as opposed to his brother joining Ieyasu.

Could've sworn I timed that screenshot correctly... Anyway, Kunoichi probably doesn't have a real life counterpart, as her name literally comes from くノ一, kunoichi, historically a word for women, later meaning female ninja in the 20th century, as female ninja didn't really happen historically. Her association with Yukimura means she could be one of the fictional Sanada Ten Braves, a legendary group of ninja said to aid Sanada Yukimura during the Sengoku period.

Takeda Katsuyori was a daimyō and head of the Takeda clan, being Takeda Shingen's son. Strong on the battlefield, he captured Takatenjin, something his father could not. He also helped Uesugi Kagekatsu succeed Uesugi Kenshin as heir. However, against the combined armies of Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu, he committed seppuku at Temmokuzan with his wife and son.

Naitō Masatoyo was one of Shingen's Twenty-Four Generals. Son of Takeda Nobutora's senior retainer, Kudō Toratoyo, he and his brother were forced to leave when Toratoyo lost favour with Nobutora and was killed by him. When Nobutora was exiled by Shingen, Masatoyo's family was restored. They were granted the rank of samurai and a formal apology by Shingen, as well as money and cavalrymen.

Chikurin-in was the wife of Sanada Yukimura and daughter to Ōtani Yoshitsugu, a vassal of Hideyoshi. It was a political marriage to ensure an alliance between the Toyotomi and Sanada clans. While in exile with Yukimura after Ieyasu's victory, she is said to have created the flat ribbon Sanadahimo and after Yukimura's death, bore his third son and lived in Kyoto until she passed.

While Yukimura's group are overall stronger than Aya's, they have more weaknesses to exploit overall.

Hopefully we'll take out Drilbur before it destroys us. Ekei wasn't gonna last long with all these Fire types, alas.

Ow

Stop jinxing it!!!

Alright, it's counterattack time.

YAMATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Alright, we should be able to keep everyone alive.

Maybe

Okay, we're mostly alive. Let's keep up the offensive.

Pretty good.

Okay, not so good.

When will these guys die already???

drat Scraggy blocking Tepig from its inevitable defeat. Unless...

Haha, gottem!

A necessary sacrifice.

Ah goddammit I left Drilbur until last again, didn't I? I am really bad at this game.

Holy poo poo we survived. I am impressed.

It would be so much easier to kill this guy if he didn't keep hiding every other turn.

Okay, we're done. Unless I miss. ...

Pokemari, bitch.

Long Day

The way you worked together with your Pokemon... It was very impressive. I shall have to try my best to match your standard, Azai! Farewell for now!

Azai digivolve to... Cape Azai!

Ransei

Remember that Electric-type Pokemon's attacks have no effect on Ground-type Pokemon... And don't forget that he has lots of other Pokemon types in his army, too.

Invasion

Hmm? You look... different. Well, well. I do think this battle is going to be fun. Don't you, Yukimura?

Most definitely. If Lord Azai is our opponent, then I shall give it everything I have!

Yes... So, shall we begin?

VS Terrera

Like Illusio, Terrera is a banner battle. But it's a bit different...

This is the tallest building in all in Ransei. Even Flying Pokemon would struggle to make it up here... You're welcome to try climbing it if you want, but I can't be held responsible for what might happen.

There's some real strategy to this map, so we need to move everyone into positions. Look at all this nice open land, it's heaven compared to Illusio.

Takeda Shingen was an exceptional military daimyō of the Takeda clan, first born son of the previous head, he was helpful from a young age, helping his father win the Battle of Un no Kuchi at age 15. However, he rebelled against his father when he planned to make his second son heir, so Shingen forced him into an early retirement. After conquering the nearby area, he faced Uesugi Kenshin and they faced a total of five times in the Battle of Kawanakajima. In the fourth fight, they faced one on one, neither moving an inch, but both losing heavily in men.

In order to get to the banners at the top of the towers, you need to take the lifts. But since the destination is one spot, you can't use it until the Pokemon at the top has moved.

Looks like we weren't fast enough to reach the banners before them.

And here's the gimmick. At the end of every second turn the wind will blow and force whoever's on the tower to a tile nearby and deal Ground type damage (heh). Unlike the Fire type damage of the volcano in Ignis, Ground types are immune to this damage, but still get pushed off.

Up we go.

Holy shiiiiiiiiiit. Shingen moves around a lot more compared to Kenshin and he will absolutely wreck your poo poo if you let him. That would do around 70 damage to a RESISTANCE. Thankfully Rhyperior does have a few exploitable weaknesses, as well as low movement, lower than normal accuracy and only being able to attack every 2 turns. But when it can attack, something is probably going to die.

Oh look, we just won. Compared to Illusio, Terrera is much easier if you use this 3 turn strat. But with the right team, you could also exploit the various weaknesses of the enemy team and beat them up pretty easily. And use the wind to your advantage so the AI keeps going up the towers and then get knocked off immediately. They do that. A lot.

The downside to using the quick strategy is you only get the recruit Shingen. But this is not the canon playthrough, so I don't give a poo poo. While Illusio is more enjoyable to fight (aside from the awkward movement), Terrera is a lot of fun too if you smack everything for super effective damage, while also being much easier to manipulate.

Intrigue

You defeated me, Azai!

Uh, sure, we'll call it that.

My deepest apologies. If I had just-

Forget it, Yukimura. Winning this battle was never my intention.

Huh?

I was always planning to join young Azai here.

So there you are. I thought you might show up.

Anyone strong enough to defeat my nemesis is worthy of my service. From now on, I shall my fight for your army, Azai.

...!

Lord Azai! This is great news!

And then things play out the same with Nobunaga appearing to ruin everyone's day. So back to our regular playthrough.

Threat to Ransei

Let's patch up our new kingdom so no one thinks about attacking us. Oh yeah, the map music has changed since we'll be facing Nobunaga's army from here on out. All the single kingdoms are gone, now Ransei is split between 2 different armies. So who are we gonna face against?

Well doesn't this look like fun? Next time we'll have a bit of a breather before going on to fight against Nobunaga's generals.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 24, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4NfhXoqTG0

So what does make eevee evolve, anyway?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pugilis can be pretty quick even with the banners since you can just hit them as they line up on the bridge and then grab the banners. Illusio can take ages if you get unlucky with the teleports. And Terrera, you can just do that.

I guess most of my complaints about the majority of the stages involve them taking a while and being more strategic than just beating everything up. It's just you end up doing them again and again and eventually you just want to rush through and conquer places so you can look for warriors and links and stuff.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there a different defensive ground you could have picked? One with fewer random traps?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Glazius posted:

Is there a different defensive ground you could have picked? One with fewer random traps?

We could've gone with Pugilis, but I prefer the more open Chrysalia, since having hectic battles are more fun to play than narrow straightforward battles. Also the Pokemari Balls are a real good source of damage that the AI hardly uses. The traps are pretty freakin dumb though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
whoa, had no clue you made a new lp, you gotta start advertising hoss

anyway look forward to this, i liked this game even if it was a bit simplistic

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

...I forgot to post in the New LP Thread Thread. I swear I've remembered like twice to do it and then forgot again. Also the last post of the Crystal thread is me linking to this one, so I did that right!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

He totally posted it into the old thread dude.

E: fb

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
yeah i meant post in the new lp thread, but i genuinely missed you posting it in the crystal thread so thats my bad

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

No problem, thanks for reminding me.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 6: Yoshihiro's Grand Day Out

We've got two more kingdoms to conquer today, but we don't need to do that right now, there's peeps to recruit!

Ravine

Last update was pretty packed, so this is the same month of us taking down Illusio, we've still got some stuff to do this month. Oh yeah, Baba Nobufusa was a samurai and one of the Twenty-Four Generals of Takeda Shingen. He fought in many battles without getting a single injury and was consulted by Shingen on important matters. He was entrusted Fukashi Castle and led the vanguard of Takeda Katsuyori's right-wing.

Ouch, Fury Cutter can be pretty deadly if you let it build up. Yamagata Masakage was another one of Shingen's Twenty-Four Generals and a samurai. After his brother, one of Shingen's red fire unit, committed seppuku, he equipped his cavalry with bright red armour and often charged first into battle, confusing and panicking the enemy. He fought in many battles and captured Yoshida Castle from the Tokugawa clan. His last campaign was the Battle of Nagashino, which he tried to pursuade Katsuyori to honorably withdraw from.

Threat to Ransei

Yum yum

Hey it's Ujihiro, let's actually recruit him this time.

Sekiguchi Ujihiro was Yoshimoto's nephew whose daughter was arranged to marry a then 15 year old Tokugawa Ieyasu. But when Ieyasu joined Nobunaga instead of Yoshimoto, he only saved his wife and children from the Imagawa clan and Sekiguchi's cousin, Imagawa Ujizane, not his stepparents.

I think we've recruited all of those that faced us in Chrysalia.

And that's all of them. Nezu Jinpachi was a part of Yukimura's Sanada Ten Braves and may not have even existed. The novel detailing their adventures was published in the Sanada Sandaiki, midway through the Edo period. Only a few of the Braves regularly appear in media, some of the ten are simply generic filler characters. All ten of them are definitely not in this game.

Threat to Ransei

Now we can go after new kingdoms. But we're gonna have a month to train and recollect. These new guys are some pretty tough customers.

Good poo poo. Nice to finally recruit Sōrin, feels so long ago when we took down Violight.

Ravine

Ah, it's great having our own Drilbur. Kirigakure Saizō was one of the Sanada Ten Braves and one of the few that actually appears regularly in media, being one of the most recognized. Apparently a master of Iga ninjutsu, he is said to have been sent by Ieyasu to assassinate Hideyoshi, but failed. Another version says that Saizō was caught through carelessness and inadvertently saved Hideyoshi from Yusuke Takiguchi, a double agent.

Ah finally, I was wondering when this would start happening.

Pokemon Evolved

Evolution is a big part of this game, but you won't really encounter it until you get above 40% link or so depending on the Pokemon. Since level doesn't exist and link evolution applies to Warlord evolution in most cases, Pokemon evolve when one of their stats reach a certain amount. There are also still stone and item evolutions, as well as "trade" evolutions, but we'll talk about them when they come up. Abra evolves into Kadabra when its Attack reaches 83.

Well this is a first, Kiyo has no historical counterpart that we've figured out. Not every Warrior has a 1 to 1 counterpart, some are pulled from fiction, as we've seen already. This does apply more to women, however, since while there were many Onna-bugeisha (or female martial artist that fought for Japanese mobility), there were still many men in positions of power that got the main focus. After all, even the thousands and thousands of male soldiers fighting in this era don't have their own wiki page, right? The women even less so, regardless of their stature. Gender politics, baby, you know you love it!

Ravine

We're just rolling in new recruits, aren't we? Now we've got Shingen's son!

What a great way to highlight the more frustrating strategy elements of this game. While Kenshin and Gallade are literally unstoppable, because all Pokemon have just the one move, they can't touch Dark types at all. Even though Gallade is part Fighting and doesn't give a poo poo about Dark types most of the time! Isn't it funny? Anyway, uh, Ichimada Akizane was a retainer of Ōtomo Sōrin, head of the Ōtomo clan.

Who gives a quote and when is usually pretty random, so see what happens when you mix and match! Let's see what Shingen can do.

Yeah that's about right... can't even recruit one of your own bloody generals.

There we go! Shingen is a bit tricky to use. Well, really I mean Rhyperior is tricky to use, you don't have to use Perfect Link Pokemon in the slightest if there are better options. Warlords tend to work well with any Pokemon of their speciality type and the 90% link cap in most cases won't matter since you'll have to a hard time reaching it anyway. But I'm sticking with them to make things more interesting. You will need to use their Perfect Link Pokemon to evolve the Warlord, but if you're not going for that, you don't need to bother.

Islands

Last one (of this month), so let's go to some floating crystal islands. Wasn't it fun the last time?

Like Illusio the Floating Rock locations are super annoying to recruit and link Pokemon on. It's a spiral rock that you might have to climb if the portals refuse to match up and it's not easy going back down either. The AI also loves jumping all over the place making them annoying to catch up with.

Due to the camera you wouldn't see this path normally but the whole area circles around. Saitō Tomonobu was an officer of the Uesugi clan, under both Kenshin and Kagekatsu. A skilled administrator, Kenshin placed him in a highly trusted position and was useful on the battlefield, thwarting attacks from the Oda clan and in expeditions into the Kantō region.

Threat to Ransei

Also in Illusio we have this new place to visit, so let's check it out.

Now, you know what these stats mean, don't you? The higher your Power, the more damage you do when you attack; the higher your Wisdom, the less damage you receive when you are attacked; and the higher your Charisma, the easier it is to hit enemies with your attack and dodge enemy attacks. Better stats mean you'll get more out of some locations, too. Oh, and one more thing: your Capacity indicates the number of Pokemon with which you can link. You can't go over this number, so if you're full up, you'll have to let one of them go...

...zzz... HM? Oh, uh, yeah, sure, whatever.

Neato. If we have a Warlord's turn to spare we'll use this, but otherwise it's whatever. These are temporary, obviously and don't make too much difference, but hey 5 points is 5 points.

Ah, new month. We'll be taking on Cragspur soon enough, but first, we have someone real interesting to recruit.

Ginchiyo has popped up. Let's go and recruit her!

Garden

Like that. Shingen is pretty great at recruiting, if nothing else.

Super worthwhile. What else we got?

Threat to Ransei

Oh yeah, we've ran out of space for Warriors. You can dismiss any Warrior if run out of room in the current kingdom you're in. You don't have to fill out literally every space in your kingdoms to get rid of people. You do have to max out your capacity to get rid of Pokemon, annoyingly, but oh well. When we do run out of space (since I'm gonna recruit everyone I see that we've never had before) I'll be getting rid of those who have Perfect Links and don't have a reason to be in our army. Takahisa's Perfect Link is with the Timburr line and we're never going to use him since we have Yoshihiro.

Good good. You're seeing a real cut up version of everything that I'm doing. I'm bringing Warriors and Pokemon that we haven't registered in battles where we recruit someone or get a Perfect Link. It's getting a bit tricky with so many in our army now that all of this prep before fighting a kingdom is taking around 30 mins of recording. I was worried this might make updates longer, but the amount of screenshots is actually less than earlier updates, so you're only missing out on a good chunk of self-inflicted tedium.

Ravine

Chikamasa is the only Warrior that has Wooper as a Perfect Link, so he can just bugger off. We've found Yukimura's wife but not, well, him.

Islands

Usami Sadamitsu was a samurai and retainer of Kenshin. Since there's not much know about him, let's talk about his Pokemon, Beedrill. Beedrill is the only Pokemon in the game to not have its evolutionary relatives in the game also. I'm glad Weedle and Kakuna aren't in the game, the less useless Pokemon the better. Also, as a little trivia for you, one Pokemon that was considered for this game was Growlithe and presumably Arcanine, as its models are in the game's code, though no other data accompanies it. It works out, since there's 300 Pokemon in this game exactly, so maybe they didn't want to mess up that number.

Hōjō Ujinao was Ujiyasu's grandson and Ujimasa's son. His mother was one of Shingen's daughters. Wait, we haven't even fought Ujiyasu and Ujimasa yet! Well anyway, he was a daimyō and final head of the Late Hōjō clan, as the clan and Odawara Castle fell to Hideyoshi. While his father and uncle were forced to commit suicide, as Ujinao's wife was the second daughter of Ieyasu, he was allowed to live in exile at Mount Kōya, where he passed away a year later. His adopted son became the first daimyō of the Sayama clan.

The Ralts line is pretty popular, with 5 Warriors having it as their Perfect Link. Well, Kenshin only has Gallade, but two more Warriors have a Perfect Link with Gallade, while the remaining two have a Perfect Link with Gardevoir. So make sure you evolve it into the right one! Other split evolutions are also the same, but usually just have the one Warrior. Kagekatsu's is Gallade, while Tomonobu's is Gardevoir.

Threat to Ransei

These guys can go since they have stone evolution Perfect Links and those items are annoyingly hard to come by in this game. But we're done for now, on with the conquering!

Water-type, Grass-type, and Fighting-type attacks are strong against Rock-type Pokemon... But Fire types and Bug types are pretty useless. Normal-type Pokemon's attacks aren't very effective either...

I think we'll be just fine.

Invasion

Half of Ransei is already yours. What are you gonna do next? Too much ambition can be pretty dangerous, you know...

This isn't ambition!

A friendly bunch. Let's go beat them up, I guess.

VS Cragspur

Let's rock.

So I'm sorry, but... I won't be holding back.

We start off in an enclosed area. Don't think you can hide here, the rocks sink automatically after a few turns. Also make sure whoever steps on the switch isn't weak to Rock.

We've got some rolling stones that deal Rock type damage. Rock types are immune to this, so try and not stand in their path.

That won't stop the Yoshihiro train.

Hōjō Ujiyasu was a daimyō of the Odawara Hōjō clan. His only known wife was Imagawa Yoshimoto's sister (who's not in this game). After his father's death, a number of the Hōjō's enemies saw an opportunity to take Hōjō territory, including the Uesugi clan. They attacked Kawagoye, but were completely defeated in a night attack led by Ujiyasu. Before he died, Ujiyasu made peace with Kenshin and Shingen and cemented a Takeda-Imagawa-Hōjō relationship through political marriage with his daughters, with his seventh son being adopted by Kenshin.

Kaihime, or Lady Kai as hime means lady, princess, etc, was the daughter of Narita Ujinaga, retainer to the Hōjō clan. A heroic woman, she helped her father during the Siege of Odawara and the Siege of Oshi against Hideyoshi's army. When Ishida Mitsuhide's army was devastated by a water attack, she volunteered to rout the remaining soldiers with 200 men on horseback. Despite Mitsuhide being reinforced, she slain the Sanada retainer and heavily damaged the Toyotami clan with another water attack.

Hōjō Tsunashige was an officer of the Hōjō clan and fought in various battles supporting the Hōjō and expanding their domain. His soldiers wore yellow uniforms and outstandingly creative banners. He was defeated by Takeda Katsuyori in the Siege of Kanbara.

Hōjō Ujimasa was the eldest son of Hōjō Ujiyasu and succeeded his father as daimyō. He was also the son-in-law of Shingen. His reign was short, however, as the castle of Odawara fell to Hideyoshi's forces and he was forced to commit seppuku along with his brother Hōjō Ujiteru.

So, uh, Hōjō Ujiteru was the second son of Hōjō Ujiyasu and was lord of Hachiōji Castle, which was destroyed by Uesugi Kagekatsu shortly after Ujiteru left for the Siege of Odawara. Hideyoshi commanded the castle be destroyed and it lays in ruins to this day. Ujiteru was also in the Battle of Mimasetoge, but was unsuccessful in preventing from Takeda Shingen from withdrawing back home after he besieged Odawara.

Hōjō Ujikuni was the third son of Hōjō Ujiyasu and like his brothers, fought in battles for the Hōjō clan. He was the lord of Hachigata Castle and participated in the Battle of Mimasetoge with Ujiteru. His castle was beseiged by Uesugi Kagekatsu and fell after a month. He also aided in the defense of Odawara, but the castle fell and the lands went to Ieyasu, who would use this as a stepping stone for other conquests.

Well one is definitely more impressive than the other. You might be wondering why I brought a Joltik to this battle and the answer is... i'unno, whatever man. I could've brought Kenshin and wrecked face, but we'll be fine. Probably.

We'll get rid of this boulder before it gets rid of us.

Nice, we can get some more free damage.

Unlike Doubleslap, Rock Blast can be pretty dangerous if you're weak to Rock. It's also just slightly stronger anyway.

Here's where I remembered that Rock types are immune to the boulders. You'd think I'd remember battlefield immunities since we just faced Terrera, but I just can't tear myself away from battlefield objects.

We'll just contend with this.

Hard hitting rock types.

Lot of misses so far, not annoying at all, no sir.

Those two kinda died a bit quickly, but being in these important battles is, uh, the only way to really catch them up to the level you need them to be in these battles. Sure, I could grind for a few months to get everyone up to speed, but where's the fun in that?

We're still winning in terms of numbers though, 4-3. That's not gonna last.

Yeah this Boldore is a problem. Do not leave your guys in a line, that's just asking for trouble.

That was pretty helpful. As you might think, the healthier Gurdurr is, the better position we'll be in.

Oh baby, only two more to go. Will the AI realise the threat?

Nope! I knew that Eevee and Jigglypuff wouldn't be very helpful in this battle, so I used them to their full potential: getting rid of Pansear and then distracting the Rock types while Gurdurr ripped them apart. I thought Snivy and Oshawott would do more damage to the Onix and maybe Roggenrola, but oh well.

If they'd been focused on Gurdurr the entire time then I would've lost, but fodder is always good to have around to keep your main hitters out of danger.

drat straight, old man.

Long Day

Okay, it looks like I don't have a choice. The castle is yours, Azai.

But... What will you do?

We belong to Nobunaga's army. Now that our castle's gone, we've got to go back to him. I don't much like that Nobunaga, but I can't see any other way... See you, Azai. I hope one day you become strong enough to...

Intrigue

...!

Wait... Something's changed...

You're right! Lord Azai has transformed!

I knew it! Well, that's good news. Here, let me give you a little something to celebrate.

Oho! Now that's something we can use.

Each stone will lead to a different result, but your little Pokemon might just evolve. Think about it, and use them wisely. ...You know, you really are looking pretty impressive these days. I don't think you'll be needing any more advice from me. In fact, I'd better be off. See you around!

Threat to Ransei

One kingdom down, three to go. We now have the option to evolve our Eevee, if we so wish. This is something you guys should vote on, right? Well, not quite yet, there's more than 3 Eeveelutions after all, so when we have the ability to choose all of them we'll have our vote. We'll be just fine with Eevee as we are. So what exciting things are happening this month?

Oh hey it's Yukimura. Now he's ours. We've actually got a few Warlords in our army now and it won't be stopping just yet! We've also got room in our army again since we didn't recruit anyone at Cragspur. Since we couldn't!

Cave

That was an 12% chance of missing. Man I really should resume my XCOM lp one of these days...

Riolu's Force Palm pushes you back one tile. Between missing and paralysis, I was having a great time. Anyway, Hōjō Takahiro was a vassal of Kenshin and any info I could get from googling is smothered by the retired Kamen Rider Japanese actor Takahiro Hōjō. So yeah.

Sheesh, finally. Ideura Morikiyo was a vassal of the Sanada clan and clashed with Tokugawa Hidetada at Ueda Castle to defend Hideyoshi's territories from Ieyasu.

Kanetsugu has also shown up, so all we're missing for recruitable Warlords is Kunoichi.

And there she is. Yeah this month I guess they all decided to come say hi. Very nice. Ujiie Naotomo (or Ujiie Bokuzen as his priesthood name) was a samurai and general of the Saitō clan. Together with Inaba Ittetsu and Andō Morinari, they formed the Mino Triumvirate and later served under the command of Oda Nobunaga. Bokuden died fighting against the Ikkō-ikki at the First Siege of Nagashima.

That's it for this month. So which of the three kingdoms shall we go for now?

Threat to Ransei

Fighting-type and Bug-type attacks are effective against Dark-type Pokemon... But Psychic-type attacks are completely useless. Also, I don't really recommend taking a Ghost-type Pokemon with us...

Invasion

Cheery place.

Powerful enough to stand alongside Shingen and Kenshin, so they say. It will make it all the more satisfying to destroy you.

Wha-?!

Azai... You may be the source of great chaos in Ransei... But you are just a source of entertainment for me.

VS Yaksha

I hope you're ready for some genuine hospitality... I'll show you things you can't see anywhere else...

Already I'm super uninterested in what you have to show me.

Fūma Kotarō was the name adopted by the leader of the ninja Fūma clan, a clan that specialized in horseback guerrila warfare and naval espionage. He served under Hōjō Ujimasa and Hōjō Ujinao and his biggest achievement occured when a ninja slipped into the camp of Takeda Katsuyori and caused great chaos, resulting in the disoriented enemies killing each other. The Fūma clan was reduced to a band of brigands after the Hōjō clan was forced to surrender.

Kai Shimoyama was an Iga ninja. So, uh, don't be surprised when we don't have too much info on some of these guys.

Karasawa Genba was a samurai and retainer of the Sanada Clan, often depicted as a ninja, though it's unknown if he ever was one. While once an enemy to the Sanada, he defected to their side and helped to burn down Shiritaka Castle. He also participated in the Battle of Nagashino.

Katō Danzō was a ninja that also practised sorcery, apparently being able to fly, so was given the name Tobi Katō, flying Katō. He was sought out by Kenshin and tasked with infiltrating and stealing a prized naginata from Naoe Kanetsugu. He succeeded, while also capturing a young servant girl as well. However, Kanetsugu plotted to kill him and forced him to defect to Shingen. Shingen believed him to be a double agent and executed him.

Kido Yazaemon was an Iga ninja and an expert marksman, making two attempts on Oda Nobunaga's life. Unfortunately they failed, but he killed some of his top guards in the process. It's believed he harboured a hate for Nobunaga for destroying the Nagashima fortress.

Ninokuruwa Isuke was a ninja under Fūma Kotarō in the Fūma clan. He was thin and lean, making him an agile ninja. During the Siege of Kawagoe, he was able to move around inconspicuously to inform his side of the enemy's position. However, he was recognised by an enemy ninja, Ota Inunosuke and he was pursued. Despite his agility, Inunosuke was able to nearly catch up to him. So Isuke stole a horse nearby and escaped, but when word got out, he was marked as cowardly for not truly outrunning Inunosuke. In a rematch, Inunosuke dropped dead after 40km, vindicating Isuke as the true outpacer.

Oh god what's this?

No, not the only thing I brought that could win!

Oh goody, items. My favourite.

We need to get Gurdurr back into the fight and we need to get rid of Zubat, since Wing Attack kinda stings!

Stopping Nobunaga will not change the way of the world. It's all just a waste of time...

Ah that's not good, I thought that I could barely live that. Well farewell pinch healing.

You keep going back and forth, thanks.

Let's cause some chaos! We're in a good position due to Zoroark being stuck behind Pawniard. This is exactly what you want to be doing.

Good Oshawott sniping.

Pawniard has been a good meat shield, but we need to deal with Zoroark before it becomes a real problem.

Goddammit Eevee

The roulette keeps choosing me for some reason!

Let's just do as much damage as we can.

Alright good job distracting the enemies guys. Better you than Gurdurr.

Everything's a bit up and down right now, but I think we'll be alright.

Hmm, we need another meat shield so Gurdurr doesn't get hit.

While I would've preferred you to hit, you did what I needed you to do.

Ah poo poo, only Gurdurr is left.

Oh that's lucky! Now Gurdurr won't take damage next turn iiiiiiiiiffffffff...

Oh thank god. Two left.

A bit of manoeuvring around to try and minimize damage and now it's just 1v1 baby.

Now is NOT the time!

Okay, that's not too bad. But we need to move out of range of Scrafty so we can get the drop on it.

Oh my GOD

This is why I needed everyone else to take damage instead of Gurdurr, just in case of something like this. Missing an attack is pretty bad in this game, there's some gripes about it I'll get into later.

Second time's the charm. Hooooooooooooo boy.

I don't believe I coasted to victory by just using Gurdurr, everyone did their part in dealing damage and, yes, being punching bags so the strong guys can deal the real damage. Even though Eevee and Jigglypuff are at the level of Zoroark, they were doing hardly any damage. Super effective damage is king in this game. A high Attack helps too. Also bringing Yoshimoto wouldn't have been too too useful, since half of the Yaksha only takes neutral damage from Bug and I would prefer using other people instead, it's not a great idea letting Pineco get too strong.

Long Day

If only for a moment, you kept me entertained. Your impending battle with Nobunaga... The thought of it excites me... more than I expected. Farewell.

...That sounds pretty ominous. I guess Nobunaga's army is full of people like him...

Threat to Ransei

Ah finally, maybe now you can keep up with everyone.

Dewott... Now I feel an even greater power when I am with you... Do you feel it too? I will grow stronger if we remain together. And you will too, Dewott.

Finally Motochika has his Perfect Link, as Dewott appears with him to emote in cutscenes. I probably could've gone over it earlier, but Warlords have two Pokemon minimum they can Perfect Link with, usually the last two Pokemon in an evolutionary line, or the whole evolution line if there's only two stages. Up until Illusio and Terrera every Warlord we met had their Perfect Link with them in some form, though for a few you needed to evolve them first. However, some of the Warlords we've met now don't come with their Perfect Link, so we need to go find them. In due time, of course. Oshawott evolves when its Attack reaches 54.

Now there's only 2 more kingdoms left, feels a lot less intimidating now.

I-It's my Pokemon... Jigglypuff has been acting kind of funny ever since we started fighting against Nobunaga's army. And just now, she gave me this...

Ooh, interesting. While I don't think too highly of most items, there are some that are really good.

Now our healer is just immune to status effects. This is very useful and this is what Oichi will hold for the rest of the game.

Next time we'll be taking on Viperia and Avia.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 24, 2018

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
I think this is about as far as I got in my playthrough. I really enjoyed the game but just got burnt out trying to grind levels to keep up with the sudden spike in enemy warlord strength. I might go back and start a new file now that there's more info out for the game.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yaksha

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If multiple people have Perfect Links with the same Pokemon, does it pose differently for each of them?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

If multiple people have Perfect Links with the same Pokemon, does it pose differently for each of them?

Posing is only for warlords, who all have unique links.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kai has the best expressions. Her basic pose is pure :smuggo:, and her surprised/defeat pose is Phoenix Wright level of over-the-top.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 7: Super Effective

Threat to Ransei

Another update, another recruiting. Surely we must be running out of Warriors already... right? So, Matsunaga Hisahide was the retainer of Miyoshi Nagayoshi and directed the conquest of Yamato, which became independent enough for him to become its daimyō. He was also conspiring against his former retainer, making his heir too young to rule by killing those already in line. Despite his power, Hisahide still fell to Nobunaga and begrudgingly served him. Hisahide temporarily switched sides back to the Miyoshi, but went back to Nobunaga when it didn't pan out.

Not too surprising, we recruited Yuikmura with Tepig at a high link. But it doesn't seem to be Yukimura's Perfect Link, so we'll need to wait until it appears. Tepig evolves into Pignite when its Attack is 41.

Time for some Psychic links. While Tomonobu already has a Ralts, if the evolved form is gonna show up, might as well grab it, eh?

It's cool we can still link while Asleep. Anyway, we're only doing this for the hell of it, since Munna is a terrible Pokemon, since it knows Hypnosis. It still has shaky accuracy and it's better to just hit something than inflict status. Thankfully Sadamitsu is the only one saddled with this awful line (speaking mechanically, you know I love every Pokemon).

Harada Munetoki was a samurai and retainer of Date Masamune (we'll see him later this update), succeeding his uncle as the hereditary retainer of the Date clan. Due to his valiant conduct in combat, he quickly received Masamune's trust and was placed in charge of the clan's military affairs. He was easily visible in combat by his trademark golden sword and was instrumental in the Battle of Suriage-ga-hara by taking the strategic lake of Hibara.

Shiroishi Munezane was a samurai and retainer to Date Terumune, Masamune's father, and Date Shigezane. He held the title of Kokushi, a government official sent from the central government to oversee a province, in this case being the Shiomatsu region. He also participated in the invasion of Aizu and for his service he received the Mizusawa domain. He then fought in Korea under Hideyoshi and finally passed in Tokyo in his late 40s.

So most of the Pokemon we'll find there are Poison-type Pokemon. This means that Grass-type Pokemon will struggle... But Ground-type and Psychic-type Pokemon should do well.

It's another kingdom invasion, number 11!

Invasion

You're the one who's trying to fight Nobunaga, right? You naughty child!

N-Naughty?! We're trying to save Ransei!

Stop being so silly! If you don't learn to get along with people, I'm going to have to punish you!

Y-You're... Hideyoshi?! From Ignis?! But you look so different... Surely you haven't... transformed?

Long time no see, Azai! A whole lot has changed since I decided to let you have my castle in Ignis. As you can see, Nene here is the one who has to put up with me now! And I'll tell you something else that's gonna be different: this time, I'm gonna beat you!

VS Viperia

Well, Viperia is full of ninjas... You'll be amazed when you see all the tricks they've got!

Viperia has a few interesting things about it. The secret passages connect to another one on the same line, usually halfway across the map. There's also lots of poison goo on the floor. Unless you're a Poison or Steel or Flying type, don't step on it.

Uh oh, we're gonna need to reinforce this area.

With these narrow openings the AI will just conga line towards the next flag to take over. Don't think they used any strategy in going through the passages, they use their full move each turn and if they happen to land on the hole then they'll use it.

Nene, also known as Toyotomi Yoshiko, was the first wife of Hideyoshi, before he became one of the great unifiers. She was one of his closest aides and confidantes and her samurai lineage gave Hideyoshi connections and retainers. She advised Hideyoshi on matters of governance and he sent her letters often during campaigns. Despite their closeness, she competed with other women for Hideyoshi's attention, something Nobunaga disliked about him. He took up several concubines and she bore him no children.

We've already met Hideyoshi and he's reached Rank 2 evolution! Let's talk about him some more, cause there's still so much more to say. While under Nobunaga, Hideyoshi was a simple servant, aiding him in the battle against Imagawa Yoshimoto. He managed the kitchen and repaired castles and forts, apparently constructing one overnight in Sunomata. A skilled negotiator, he managed to convince (well, bribe) a number of warlords to desert the Saitō clan to pressure them into submitting to Nobunaga. This gave him an easy victory in the Siege of Inabayama Castle, cementing Hideyoshi as one of his top generals.

Ugh, Spiritomb. Uh, Hattori Hanzō was a great samurai credited with saving the life of Tokugawa Ieyasu and helping him rule united Japan. Born and raised in Iga, he was meritous in battle and helped repel Takeda soldiers from Totomi with just 30 men and a river. During the Tenshō Iga War, he tried to prevent the second son of Nobunaga, Oda Nobukatsu, from invading his homeland, but was eventually defeated when Nobunaga himself pressured the province with his forces. Following Nobunaga's death, he led Ieyasu to safety in Mikawa across Iga territory with the help of the remnants of the local Iga clans.

Hatsume no Tsubone was a ninja that was employed by Ieyasu to spy on Ishida Mitsunari. She may not have existed and may not have been Mitsunari's lover.

Momochi Sandayū, also known as Momochi Tamba, was an Iga ninja and one of the top three Iga Ryu. He was in charge of the southern Iga group and had around 200-300 ninja under him. He was believed to be at Kashiwara Castle when Oda Nobukatsu attacked it with a large force. He was probably killed in that attack, as he was never heard from again, but that's always the problem with drat ninja.

Mochizuki Chiyome was a kunoichi, but may not have existed, as her name first appeared in a 1971 book. Apparently her husband was killed in the 4th Battle of Kawanakajima and that she later got permission from Takeda Shingen to form a Miko-village (miko being a shrine maiden). There, the Miko became spies and Chiyome became a ninja. However, associate professor Katuya Yoshimaru disputes this, saying the battle didn't take place, her husband didn't die, written permission was usually forged in that time, the Miko-village was not full of spies and while there were kunoichi, there's no evidence Chiyome was ever one, if she existed. History bitches!

drat hit and run tactics, the AI is smart.

M8, you have been suuuuuuuper helpful in this playthrough.

Bringing Kenshin to this fight is kinda cheating, but I want some fun and some of these guys are kinda tough.

Hrm. Jigglypuff is pretty good here since it can't get poisoned, so it can stand on the goo all day.

If too many of your guys get poisoned, then Venoshock can be nasty. But there's hinoki ofuro, uh, wooden bathing tubs around to heal you like the hot springs in Ignis.

Oh no, not a 9 damage crit.

...okay maybe Gallade was overkill. Psycho Cut is just soooooo goooooooood, that crit chance man.

Always make sure of ranges. If Ekans had 1 more range it could take the banner and if we couldn't kill it in one turn (we can, cause Gallade), then we would lose next turn.

Slap Hideyoshi's monkey, Oichi.

Haha, perfect. You want Spiritomb to take this exact path cause it will always poison itself. The AI is dumb as poo poo in this game. And I'm glad, as you'll see in just a moment. If you're unlucky, then the Spiritomb will make it to the middle banner first and miss getting poisoned completely.

Get away from the banners.

Really, Motochika? One health? Ugh.

Hey, get back here!

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Alright, we need to grind down Spiritomb. This Pokemon is a real pain to take down, having high defenses, no weaknesses (which is a big deal in Conquest) and three immunities in Normal, Fighting and Psychic. Which describes the strongest Pokemon in my army right now. Add in an Accuracy lowering ability and the banner healing and it can be infuriating. This is why you want it to get poisoned like a dumbass, it makes this grind a LOT easier.

All that's left is Spiritomb. I wish I could just slap this boy off the tile, but only Yoshihiro can do that right now...

Five turns laytuh...

gently caress Hanzō.

Long Day

I couldn't repay Lord Nobunaga... Even though he let us keep looking after our kingdom after we lost to him... I guess he's going to be pretty mad now...

We've gotta go back to him, though, Nene... Lord Nobunaga isn't someone you turn your back on. He's the most powerful Warlord of all! Lord Nobunaga is the only one who can help me fulfill my dream!

Yeah... I guess you're right. And, Azai... I guess you're not that naughty after all... Just take good care of Viperia, all right?

Threat to Ransei

Only one more kingdom remains. Again! Hopefully this is the last time...

But before we go for it, there's stuff to do! Kashin Koji was a ninja and illusionist who may not have even existed. Spooky!

Here we go, Yukimura's Perfect Link is with the Charmander line. Well, Charmeleon actually, but one step at a time, okay?

More Perfect Links, including a Drilbur, very nice!

Pokemon Evolved

You know, Servine... Now I feel an even greater strength when I am around you... Do you feel it too? I'm still counting on you, Servine!

Excellent, now Motonari has his Perfect Link. Everyone's shaping up nicely. Snivy evolves into Servine when its Speed is 56.

Threat to Ransei

New building in Viperia? Sign me up!

The rarer the item that is being made, the rarer the items that are required to make it! Indeed, some of the items that you will be combining are rather rare in themselves. Now, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you luck in your search for items! I should imagine that I shall be meeting all sorts of people here. How exciting! I do hope some of them will be a little charismatic... Now then, please choose which item you would like to make!

So there's a load of useless items that Pokemon drop when you beat them. You bring them here and either combine them with another useless item or with a normal item to get something even better! You already know my opinion on items (they're eh), so you can guess my opinion on the Alchemist (also eh), since a lot of items are just too situational and Skills are more consistent. Seriously, Oichi is just amazing.

Maybe in the future I might make more use of it, but if you're really rolling in these things, then get healing items and leave the Attack boosts to skills. No point raising Defense if you knock out the opponent first, XCOM logic. Anyway, Avia time!

Electric-type, Rock-type, and Ice-type Pokemon are effective against Flying-type Pokemon... But Ground-type attack won't work at all, so do be careful!

Oh we're gonna have some fun.

Invasion

The one who's too dumb to see that there's no point fighting against Nobunaga...

My lady... Looking at your beautiful face... Why, I feel like I am floating above the clouds.

...?

I've had enough of this. I'm going to the battlefield. Don't keep me waiting!

Sorry about our Warlord. His temper is a bit, you know, short.

VS Avia

It's my favorite battlefield in all of Ransei. And one day it's going to be me, not Nobunaga, who unites this region! But not unless you start pulling your weight, Magoichi!

Okay, okay... Man, he's a terrible boss...

Like you'd expect, Avia is full of floating islands and Flying types. We'll send everyone over with the Jump Pad (except for Rhyperior who can't reach it), but don't go for the right one, since you'll bounce on two more and end up at the top of the map, which you don't want.

Hey you remember the vine bridge from Greenleaf? Well this bridge will pop up and collapse every turn and you see the animation every time. It's great fun. Anyway, we're turning the camera cause we'll soon have some birds dropping down here, since they don't give a poo poo about gaps and height.

Using their range boosting abilities to reach us quickly.

Alright, so when I said supereffective damage was king, if the link difference between two Pokemon is big enough, it just makes them really ineffective. This is a problem I have with this game, that unless you're similar in link to the enemy and you're using supereffective damage, your damage just seems really piddly and it's not much fun. Also the Charisma and Speed difference means your weaker Pokemon have a harder time to hit the opponents, wasting their turn, which is never fun. Basically, grinding in this game sucks, but bringing them to battles like this to boost them up just makes them mostly deadweight, which is a real shame.

Date Masamune was a daimyō of the Tōhoku region and came from a long line of powerful daimyōs. He founded the modern city of Sendai, transforming it from a small fishing village, and was a master tactician, made even more iconic for his missing eye lost to smallpox as a child, giving him the nickname dokuganryū, or the One-Eyed Dragon of Ōshu. While he wasn't a huge fan of Hideyoshi after being conquered by him, he nonetheless was a valuable asset to him and was given the lands of Iwatesawa. He fought in the invasion of Korea and followed Ieyasu after Hideyoshi's death, despite Ieyasu's suspicious of him. Regardless, he served his masters loyally.

Saika Magoichi was the name given to the leader of the Saika Ikki, a Buddhist warrior group in Ōta. Three men were given this name, Suzuki Sadayū and two of his four sons, Suzuki Shigetomo and Suzuki Shigehide. We'll talk about the first one for now. His army was famous for weilding arqubuses, long guns held up by a stand, and donning the yatagarasu, a three legged crow, as his crest. Starting as a mercenary, he was employed by the Hatakeyama clan to repel the Miyoshi clan. He later helped the Miyoshi against Nobunaga and even injured one of his great generals. He eventually surrended to Hideyoshi and was forced to commit suicide, despite swearing loyalty.

Katakura Kagetsuna was a samurai and retainer to Masamune. Starting as a page under Masamune's father, he became heavily relied on as a strategist and Masamune placed deep trust in him. Anecdotally, Masamune found himself surrounded in his first battle and was saved when Kagetsuna leapt in shouting "I am Masamune!" distracting the enemy long enough for Masamune to escape. He joined his lord in most of his major battles and suggested Masamune submit to Hideyoshi during the Odawara Campaign. Hideyoshi granted Kagetsuna fief of Tamura, but he returned it soon after, showing loyalty to his master.

Date Shigezane was a samurai and senior retainer of the Date clan of Sendai. A cousin to Masamune on his mother's side, he was one of the the Three Great Men of the Date Clan, along with Kagetsuna and Tsunamoto and was an excellent fighter.

Oniniwa Tsunamoto was a samurai and retainer of Masamune that outlived him. His half sister was also half sister to Kagetsuna and he succeeded the family head after his father's death in the Battle of Hitodoribashi. Masamune deeply trusted him and quickly made him a senior retainer. He changed his name to Moniwa Nobumoto on Hideyoshi's orders.

Irohahime was one of Masamune's sixteen children and his first daughter. Masamune wanted a son to continue his lineage, so chose a masculine name for his first child, so Iroha was pronounced more femininely after she was born. She later married the sixth son of Ieyasu to strengthen political relations, but they had no children and they later divorced when he was exiled by his older brother, the Shogun. She returned to her father and thus to Sendai and was so beautiful and intelligent that Masamune lamented she should have been a boy instead. Her brothers often came to her for advice and insight.

Avia is a bit annoying, especially with Braviary's Sky Drop, which is like Dig, except your Pokemon lose a turn as well, so it can be pretty annoying if it won't OHKO them. We'll also be spending the entire battle here, so this is a kingdom where most of the gimmicks (being jumping and flying around the islands) can be basically moot.

I would like for my Pokemon to not be badly poisoned, that sounds like a great idea. Oh hey, when a Pokemon is standing on the bridge, the animation doesn't play. Yay!

Confusion can be very useful, that Starly is basically a non issue at this point.

That's a bit of an issue.

That too, but hey Shinx survived! (It gets knocked out by the Golbat).

C'mon, daddy needs a new pair of shoes.

poo poo. Oh well, Rhyperior doesn't have cooldown if it misses. Thank god.

We're taking a bit of a beating and I think the bridge is mocking me.

Eh, I think we'll be alright.

I brought Shingen to take on Masamune, but it's difficult when Sky Drop makes him disappear for a turn and Magoichi is running around hitting me for 4x weakness.

Thank you supportive bridge.

No super effective damage? No problem! Ah, jk, it's actually a tedious slog.

You can see why Kenshin is much easier to use.

Ugh, finally. I'm glad Joltik made it to the end, now evolve and be useful already!!!

Victory!

See, a 7.5% increase. You can't get those numbers grinding on wild Pokemon.

Long Day

I mean, if we were to join Azai's army...

Try and think ahead a bit, Magoichi. I want to fight for the army that will eventually unite Ransei... And at the moment, only one army looks capable of doing that. Now, come on!

All right... I hope to see you again, Azai.

Nice. Now we're basically unstoppable with 13 kingdoms under us! ...Right?

Invasion

I heard that someone was attempting to oppose Lord Nobunaga. I decided to come and see for myself who would be so foolish. I am here to inform you that your current course of action will only lead to defeat.

That is all...

...That was Mitsuhide... One of Nobunaga's closest aides... There are three of them in total, and they are going to be tough opponents... So let's brace ourselves for battle, Lord Azai!

Threat to Ransei

These guys sound like trouble.

And they are. We've got some fun times ahead... next time.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 24, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Doth mine eyes deceive, or is that a trash 'stache on Hideyoshi? Amazing.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Man, I think I must have sunk like 100 hours into this game and still didn't complete it. That post game is an absolute slog of content, but actually kind of perfect as a handheld title that you play in bits at a time.

Really digging the little history snippets by the way. I'd chime in with some of my own, but that's pretty much limited to stuff that was in Samurai Warriors and Sengoku Basara. That said:

quote:

...That was Mitsuhide... One of Nobunaga's closest aides...

This line got a pretty good laugh outta me. :haw:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

quote:

Those Golbat faces are something else. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Munna and Musharna are the worst

Also Spectra can Get hosed.

I've always wanted to find some rip or something of all the expressions from Warlords and Pokemon in this. There's some really good ones.

• Locked thread