Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Do it ironically posted:

cigarettes for sure, they allowed it at the rehab and people were constantly at the designated smoke spot

that and energy drinks, but they had banned energy drinks, the one person i know drinks so many of them now can't be good for you

Most rehabs here ban smoking, as do most psych wards now. It leads to a lot of people walking out who really need to be there and who would otherwise stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

RagnarokAngel posted:

I had to goto an AA meeting as part of a substance abuse class in grad school. They all did The Lord's Prayer at the end and I politely walked out and they all looked at me like I was the devil but it was cause I'm a Jew. Welp that's my story op.

lol

Iakona
Jan 24, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah.... yeah I am. :smith:

it's okay though buddy I am too! And so are plenty of others.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Keep up the good work Isaac.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Love how every time someone posts about AA a bunch of loving dorks have to come in and argue about religion. Maybe you should just support someone that's trying to make a positive turn around in their goddamn lives.

Most goons really are the worst shitheels.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I forgot i had a doctors appointment on the orher side of town. I hope im back in time for sports

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Rasta_Al posted:

Love how every time someone posts about AA a bunch of loving dorks have to come in and argue about religion. Maybe you should just support someone that's trying to make a positive turn around in their goddamn lives.

Drinking is a choice and religion has nothing to do with it.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Stop being an alcoholic op and become a drunk. Alcoholics have to go to those stupid meetings.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ive choseb to stop drinking because it seems like a wise choice for me, personally

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Navin Johnson posted:

Stop being an alcoholic op and become a drunk. Alcoholics have to go to those stupid meetings.

lol wacky!! hey is that available on a tshirt i can wear while drinking?????

i always kinda wanted to go to an aa meeting for some reason. my weird uncle was in aa for many years but then he killed himself.

Isaac posted:

Ive choseb to stop drinking because it seems like a wise choice for me, personally

good on you dude, irl.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Ya just kidding Isaac. If it works for you then ok. Shirt? I dunno. Make one and get rich I guess?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rasta_Al posted:

I'm an addict and I'm bare knuckling through my poo poo like a man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vOErEHGgi8

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I believe in you Isaac

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
i dont think there's anything wrong with group meetings and you should do what works best for you but i thought AA was really cultish and odd YMMV

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

I'm an addict and I'm bare knuckling through my poo poo like a man

Good for you bro. You do you.

I mean it when I say best of luck, and I hope you succeed in kicking your habit.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
NA is a big part of what helped me get clean four years ago. Went to a shitload of different meetings and none were in churches or anything, always community centers and whatnot. The religion thing bothered me for a while but when you have alienated anything and everything that was positive in your life you will take any help you can get.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

im on natty daddy #4 and you shoiuld tell them, its a "substane use hobby" not a substance use problm

they love that. aks them about cool bars in the area, thyey orth som good tips

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i rode my bike vigorously for an hour so im going to enjoy three (3) beers

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah.... yeah I am. :smith:

Sup mess buddy

gently caress it

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
I wish you the best OP. Im in the program too and one big thing that helped me was the realization that alcoholism has almost nothing to do with alcohol (or drugs, im personally a dopehead) Drugs and alcohol were the solution to my problems and whenever I tried to get sober on my own my life got much worse, until I could not take one more day of sobriety and felt like my only options were to get high or I was going to go kill myself. I am what the big book describes as the hopeless variety of alcoholic, someone who is naturally restless, irritable and discontent, filled with anxiety and fear over having to live life without some sort of crutch to deal with my problems. This is what, I think, the book means when they talk about the powerlessness over our decision to drink (or get high or whatever) Ultimately yes I made the decision to get high that first time and maybe there was some point where I could have stopped without sending my life into a downward spiral of horrible depression, anxiety, isolation and hopelessness but once you do it for so long you become trapped in a state of self-delusion where it becomes almost impossible to see yourself living without your drug of choice.

Remember nobody can diagnose your alcoholism but yourself. But I will encourage you to be completely honest with yourself and others and to keep an open mind, especially if you tried but were unable to stop or moderate on the basis of self-will alone. Find something constructive to give meaning to your life and never miss your chance to be helpful to someone in need.

Pallid Mask
Apr 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Supreme Allah posted:

and you get a tiny buzz if it's been a while

Tiny buzz? I pity the fool who has never experienced a nicotine rush.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

numberoneposter posted:

i rode my bike vigorously for an hour so im going to enjoy three (3) beers

i never got this. I've spent portions of my life as a work-out nut but to me I could never 'undo' the drat painful exersice I just did, by eating some pizza.

I'd settle for egg whites and baked beans or something just to not un-do my hard work.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

dsf posted:

I wish you the best OP. Im in the program too and one big thing that helped me was the realization that alcoholism has almost nothing to do with alcohol (or drugs, im personally a dopehead) Drugs and alcohol were the solution to my problems and whenever I tried to get sober on my own my life got much worse, until I could not take one more day of sobriety and felt like my only options were to get high or I was going to go kill myself. I am what the big book describes as the hopeless variety of alcoholic, someone who is naturally restless, irritable and discontent, filled with anxiety and fear over having to live life without some sort of crutch to deal with my problems. This is what, I think, the book means when they talk about the powerlessness over our decision to drink (or get high or whatever) Ultimately yes I made the decision to get high that first time and maybe there was some point where I could have stopped without sending my life into a downward spiral of horrible depression, anxiety, isolation and hopelessness but once you do it for so long you become trapped in a state of self-delusion where it becomes almost impossible to see yourself living without your drug of choice.

Remember nobody can diagnose your alcoholism but yourself. But I will encourage you to be completely honest with yourself and others and to keep an open mind, especially if you tried but were unable to stop or moderate on the basis of self-will alone. Find something constructive to give meaning to your life and never miss your chance to be helpful to someone in need.

This is a very good description of how it works. Thanks for posting

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I missed sports. I tyink they did some kind of pushup competition and im glad i wasnt there cause criminals can usually do shitloads of pushups

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I've been clean for seven years now and I probably wouldn't have made it through the first two or three of them without going to meetings.

Some of it is kinda silly so I dunno, I just ignore it. They say the Lord's prayer. I don't. Some of them pray. I just think about stuff. I'm not being a dick about it though. And no one has ever tried to talk to me about Jesus so we're cool.

Some groups are bad. Some are great. And that shouldn't come as a surprise, they're all ran by a bunch of drunks and addicts. Of course some of them are batshit crazy. But I've learnt valuable stuff from even the craziest of them.

What kept me coming back was the opportunity to not be alone with my poo poo. My old friends and my family will never understand what detox is like. Or an od. Or how insanely good it is to talk to people about wanting to shoot up without them immediately having a panic attack because you might relapse.
So I make plans for Christmas with my mom, play d&d with my nerdfriends and I make jokes about choking on my own vomit at the meetings. I share some hard earned experience and learn from people who knows what I'm going through. To each their own, but it works for me. Even if I have to ignore some bits about god now and again.

I'm happy for you op and I hope you're happy for you too. You're doing good and your posts make me smile. Even though I loving hated sports day.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

username post combo lol

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

HatJudge posted:

I've been clean for seven years now and I probably wouldn't have made it through the first two or three of them without going to meetings.

Some of it is kinda silly so I dunno, I just ignore it. They say the Lord's prayer. I don't. Some of them pray. I just think about stuff. I'm not being a dick about it though. And no one has ever tried to talk to me about Jesus so we're cool.

Some groups are bad. Some are great. And that shouldn't come as a surprise, they're all ran by a bunch of drunks and addicts. Of course some of them are batshit crazy. But I've learnt valuable stuff from even the craziest of them.

What kept me coming back was the opportunity to not be alone with my poo poo. My old friends and my family will never understand what detox is like. Or an od. Or how insanely good it is to talk to people about wanting to shoot up without them immediately having a panic attack because you might relapse.
So I make plans for Christmas with my mom, play d&d with my nerdfriends and I make jokes about choking on my own vomit at the meetings. I share some hard earned experience and learn from people who knows what I'm going through. To each their own, but it works for me. Even if I have to ignore some bits about god now and again.

I'm happy for you op and I hope you're happy for you too. You're doing good and your posts make me smile. Even though I loving hated sports day.

This was my experience as well.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HatJudge posted:

What kept me coming back was the opportunity to not be alone with my poo poo.

This is a big problem for me. I no longer have any friends. I moved away to Seattle for 7 years and when I got back home my friends had families and moved away. I'm 100% disabled so I don't work. I live alone and isolate myself all the time. I'd be great to have a group of people to talk to.

Iakona posted:

it's okay though buddy I am too! And so are plenty of others.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Sup mess buddy

gently caress it

:smith::hf::smith:

I hope you're doing well today Issac.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im at rehab. I accidentally brought my phone in so im posting secretly while making GBS threads on the disabled toilet

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I didnt take my reflux pills now im getting reflux

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I thought you were out of rehab Isaac

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Occasionally, at some point after having mindfulness, serenity, and acceptance (etc...) drilled into your skull for maybe a year straight, something inside your brain will click and suddenly it occurs to you that all the lovely habits and terrible memories you have serve a purpose and shaped you into what you are today, and why we do the things we do.

Take it one day at a time, friend. You only need to be sober today. We'll worry about tomorrow when it comes.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Candlelight Virgil posted:

I thought you were out of rehab Isaac

I did 8 weeks residential now im doing 4 weeks day program

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Another thing that is hard is in rehab you have this super structured schedule and every minute of your day is planned out so you can just release and go along with the program but once you get out it's just on your own so I do see why AA is appealing, you're leaving this familiar cozy place where you made friends and going into the real world again sober and you spent a lifetime working on your addiction but only 1-3 months in recovery

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Do it ironically posted:

Another thing that is hard is in rehab you have this super structured schedule and every minute of your day is planned out so you can just release and go along with the program but once you get out it's just on your own so I do see why AA is appealing, you're leaving this familiar cozy place where you made friends and going into the real world again sober and you spent a lifetime working on your addiction but only 1-3 months in recovery

That's why people keep going and keep talking to the people you met there, it's a really good way to keep yourself in check. It's super easy to make friends with people with that the only thing you may have in common with is a hosed up addiction.

I don't really know though I've relapsed like a billion times.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
One of the staff wanted to have a serious talk to me about cryptocurrency. I left early

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Take up a new hobby, one that you don't associate with boozing. Boredom is probably the number one thing that always gets me back to binging, but having sober hobbies helps when I have the urge to drink.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yea im pretty freakin bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

Yea im pretty freakin bored

im thinking of drnking heaviily right now even more so. i starte bc i was bored. being sick on goon is at least an adventure; recovery is something to put in my to do list.

• Locked thread