Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

dad gay. so what posted:

Morning fellow AA buddy hope you have a fantastic day

where the hell are you that its morning at 11:30 PM EST?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Nunya, Bz

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

only real places count

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was playing chess outside in the sunshine but i had to stop because it reminded me of doing beers and speed and playing chess in the sunshine

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Isaac posted:

Detox was free and rehab cost like $200 a week. I wouldnt and couldnt do it if i was paying for it american style.

One I was "visiting" was not free but there was a sanitation worker there and he was like yeah the city I live in (not going to name it) paying for it it's my third time so about 70,000 by that time, that's one hell of a union and benefits

Lmao and that's tax payer dollars and he didn't seem like he gave a poo poo about sobriety

Btw this was Canada and it is considered one of the best rehab places

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 17, 2017

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

hey isaac that's awesome that you got sober, i'm real proud of you.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shithouse Dave posted:

hey isaac that's awesome that you got sober, i'm real proud of you.

Thanks shithouse dave

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

Thanks shithouse dave

lol. my ex gf just canceled on me bc im too drunk. but i cant, once im started, stop.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Orkin Mang posted:

lol. my ex gf just canceled on me bc im too drunk. but i cant, once im started, stop.

Shoulda told her you were just tired

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I want to smoke a ciggy but it's raining sideways outside again

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
So do you not make your own vodka anymore or do you still make it for friends?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Isaac posted:

Shoulda told her you were just tired

its humiliating, brother

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

insideoutside posted:

So do you not make your own vodka anymore or do you still make it for friends?

No. That ended up doing me in. I got a serious vodka habit.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Isaac posted:

No. That ended up doing me in. I got a serious vodka habit.

Did you end up making a good vodka? You were worried about the tomato flavor.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
the best part about AA is the rock bottom stories that people tell.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

...and the pitch! posted:

Did you end up making a good vodka? You were worried about the tomato flavor.

I got it tasting fine, it got me rip roarin!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just go to ACA for most of my stuff, because I know I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an addict, to literally anything I feel safe enough to destroy myself with nice and slow, it can be alcohol, it can be weed, it can be food, it can be games, it can be books, it's all just crap to plug up the gaping wound I need to address head on and fukken LOOOOOOOOL is that a goddamn hard thing to do in our current society of bloodless lifeless hate

Isaac keep at it and don't hate yourself for any slips, hating yourself is exactly what this poo poo wants to take you right back into the abusive home we all make inside of ourselves

EDIT: and doin some steps yeah, because it turns out those things exist to address WHY you drink/whatever and dealing with it so the last drink you go for isn't a nice tall cold glassa gun

Black August fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 17, 2017

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wish i could go to rehab as a full time job

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Isaac posted:

I wish i could go to rehab as a full time job

Be a social worker.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I think you go to AA meetings. It's not a retreat. Anyway, best of luck.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Hey good for you man! I remember reading your home brew escapades and laughing while I drank excessively myself. I stopped drinking a little over a year ago and probably would have been dead by now if I didn't stop - life is pretty great not being super drunk every day :) Keep it up!

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
How long you been sober now Isaac

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Isaac posted:

AA is good because you can talk frankly about alcohol and addiction with other people going through the same thing who can relate to eachothers stories

i went to one of my first ones on almost hte same day as you!

I just sit and listen, i get free dinner at the end, it makes me feel better. then i leave and drink again. Apparently I'm supposed to stop the last part

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

Black August posted:

I just go to ACA for most of my stuff, because I know I'm not an alcoholic, I'm an addict, to literally anything I feel safe enough to destroy myself with nice and slow, it can be alcohol, it can be weed, it can be food, it can be games, it can be books, it's all just crap to plug up the gaping wound I need to address head on and fukken LOOOOOOOOL is that a goddamn hard thing to do in our current society of bloodless lifeless hate

Isaac keep at it and don't hate yourself for any slips, hating yourself is exactly what this poo poo wants to take you right back into the abusive home we all make inside of ourselves

EDIT: and doin some steps yeah, because it turns out those things exist to address WHY you drink/whatever and dealing with it so the last drink you go for isn't a nice tall cold glassa gun

they're all framed around the same thing, you might just hear different stories

like in one a dude throws up all over his pants while lawyering and in another someone's sucking a lawyers dick for money or something. in the end, we're all wonderful humans with addictions

Drunk & Ugly fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 18, 2017

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

no I know, that's the deal really, the kind of stories and rockbottoms I need to be hearing for the help I need with my addictions is less "and then I puked crying all over a puppy while my wife signed the divorce papers" and more "and then the teacher put his hand on my back and started to rub real slowly"

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Candlelight Virgil posted:

How long you been sober now Isaac

11 weeks

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I slept for like 18 hours and missed rehab today. I was legitimately just sleeping but im gonna get piss tested tommorow

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Black August posted:

no I know, that's the deal really, the kind of stories and rockbottoms I need to be hearing for the help I need with my addictions is less "and then I puked crying all over a puppy while my wife signed the divorce papers" and more "and then the teacher put his hand on my back and started to rub real slowly"

Stick around 12 Step meetings sooner or later and you'll hear your exact story at some point. I know lots of people in AA that have had those experiences.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Isaac posted:

11 weeks

Satan Bless

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
About to go to rehab for the day

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Isaac posted:

About to go to rehab for the day

Hope they don't give you too much grief about yesterday.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/5-tips-to-surviving-a-month-without-drinking-by-someone-who-really-hated-doing-it

quote:

3. Bored stiff? Reconsider your definition of fun

Anything can be fun after a bottle of wine. Conversations sparkle, street-meat is a miracle, and dancing is not tiring or sweaty. You look at the world through rosé-colored glasses, and think, wow, everything is so fun. In fact, it’s so fun I think I might go throw up for a bit!

So much more is the pity that when you stop drinking, you’re forced to realize that most of your conversations are just you waiting to talk, street meats are dubious ham-mittens, and dancing is, essentially, exercise.

Fight the boredom that comes with sobriety by letting yourself explore the world like a kid forced to play outside. Rediscover hobbies: Do you like painting? Do you like sport? Could you go learn that instrument? Or tell someone to go gently caress themselves in another language? The possibilities are endless.

It’s amazing how many varieties of fun there are—almost as many as wine— so many that you might just wonder why your #1 hobby was pouring liquid into your mouth.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 20, 2017

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Today is 120 days, there is a big football game this Saturday I'm going to and I want to have a few beers, but because the game is at night I'll end up having a few in the afternoon and then 20 before kickoff even comes, so I'll drink zero beers instead.

e: mods change my name to Dubious Ham-Mitten

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Badass! ^^^

What are ham mittens?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Good on you guys for staying clean. Recovery takes a while to feel good but it will eventually, don't worry

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Stick around 12 Step meetings sooner or later and you'll hear your exact story at some point. I know lots of people in AA that have had those experiences.

Yeah all kinds of people at the meetings I go to, you hear every kind of story eventually.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was talking a lot in a few of these threads. I made it 20 days until the ol' bipolar poo poo started and I get to the point where I have to stop my brain immediately or something dangerous will happen. Now I'm on a 3 week bender. I'm hoping to stop this week again. Maybe I'll make it 21 days next time.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yup. I am. ACA is 12 steps-based so it's a good deal. I'm lucky to be near a pretty good resource and meetings center. Work just makes it very hard to be at a lot of them, which is leaving me on the start of looking for a new line of work. Or moving. In the anxiety of this economy etc etc basically some days I feel like you need to become loving Buddha to not riot against yourself and auto-terminate to get around the maelstrom we're flying into. All the same, I try to do a lot of the questions and other writing exercises as homework and vicious self-discovery. Half the trick is doing a lot of what's said, yeah, letting yourself be the kid you're stuck as still to grow up again, by re/discovering stuff you like to do instead of the gravelock step of work->drug->drink->self-destroy->recover->work->etc as its form takes for a lot of us. Re-parenting yourself to tear out of the hellish loving habit cycles burned into the neurons that lead into the chemical stimulation and other small insanitys needed to cope.

Instead of going to a bar I play pinball once or twice a week and it turns out I'm pretty good and that's just enough to make me want to go home after work and clean the place and write and plan out the future instead of trying to die

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lolie posted:

Hope they don't give you too much grief about yesterday.

They were a bit dubious and breathalysed me but all good.

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Orkin Mang posted:

box wine cuts my mouth up and i cant figure out why

Take it out of the box first mang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm attempting to stop again tonight. Last night was bad. I got drunk enough to the point where I got really depressed and started playing with a gun. :smith:

I'm guessing now's a good time to try this again.

• Locked thread