Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Let me preface this by saying that there is no virus or spyware on the PC - it's clean and has been rebuilt a couple of times.

I've got the following setup (percentages are UserBenchmark scores):

PS: CORSAIR CX Series CX500 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE
CPU: AMD FX-8350 - 57.5% (Average)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 950 - 35.8% (Average)
HDD: WD Green 1.5TB (2009) - 43.7% (Average)
HDD: WD Black 500GB (2012) - 104.9% (Outstanding)
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 C10 2x8GB - 53.6% (Just slightly below average)
MBD: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0

It's always run slowly, even after the addition of new RAM, processor, and GPU. Granted, nothing is high end, but the system really drags on simple tasks, such as opening programs, multi tasking, un-RARing files, etc. If I open SysMon, I don't see any spikes in memory or HDD usage, so, even after full rebuilds, I'm kind of lost at this point. I wanted to play some non-intensive games, such as Total War: Warhammer, Blood Bowl, etc, but it's been such a pain that I don't even bother. I'm kind of at my wits end, trying to figure out why my work PC runs better than my home PC...

I ran a test with UserBenchmark, and got the following:

Everything is running about average for the hardware, so I shouldn't be seeing any of the hesitation/lag issues. However, if you look at the second image, the memory shows as being clocked at 933 MHz - I assume this is because of it being DDR (2x933=1866). The problem is that there are other people with the same memory that are somehow showing their memory clocked at 1866 (or higher.) In addition, when I run UserBenchmark on my work PC, the DDR4 in the system clocks at 2133 MHz.

My questions are: Why the discrepancy with the clocking of the RAM? Do I have an incompatibility in my hardware somewhere (as far as I know, everything should be ok)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have the DIMMs installed in the blue DIMM slots? If not that may disable dual-channel which would significantly reduce memory performance. A quick Google seems to indicae that program always shows memory clocks at half of the rated values for DDR3. Also, Windows is installed to the 500GB drive right? Green drives are meant for bulk storage and should not be used to hold your Windows installation. Aside from that, check to make sure the CPU core isn't getting above 60C or so using a program like CPUID Hardware Monitor. Overall you may just have high expectations for a system with an AMD FX-series CPU and without an SSD.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Alereon posted:

Do you have the DIMMs installed in the blue DIMM slots? If not that may disable dual-channel which would significantly reduce memory performance. A quick Google seems to indicae that program always shows memory clocks at half of the rated values for DDR3. Also, Windows is installed to the 500GB drive right? Green drives are meant for bulk storage and should not be used to hold your Windows installation. Aside from that, check to make sure the CPU core isn't getting above 60C or so using a program like CPUID Hardware Monitor. Overall you may just have high expectations for a system with an AMD FX-series CPU and without an SSD.

I tried swapping slots, and the output is the same. Someone had mentioned the :half value" thing, so you're probably right about that. The OS is installed on the Black drive, the Green is simply for storage. I'll have to check the CPU - there's a big-rear end cooler on it, but maybe it's not making a good connection.

You could be right about the expectations, but I've had lower end CPUs/systems that were way more responsive. I've never had anything with this much delay.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Let me make this very clear, no one should be using Windows 7 anymore or AMD CPUs. You said your system is clean, you dont have a bunch of superfluous antivirus and "cleaner" or "tune/speed up" junk installed do you?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

codo27 posted:

Let me make this very clear, no one should be using Windows 7 anymore or AMD CPUs. You said your system is clean, you dont have a bunch of superfluous antivirus and "cleaner" or "tune/speed up" junk installed do you?

No, no crapware installed. I've also got all startup items disabled, barring stuff like sound.

I'm using 7 because, for whatever reason, my PC wouldn't pick up the free 10 update, and I'm not paying another $100 for it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health:
https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

I believe people can still use this tool to create a W10 disc and use their W7 key:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'll give them a try. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Or use this to get W10 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

• Locked thread