Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's your cell phone of choice?
iPhone
Android
Nokia
Rock
View Results

• Locked thread
Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It's that time of year again. The new iPhone is about to be released and everyone has been hyping it up to be an amazing device. At 1 PM EST and 10 AM PST, they keynote will start and the new devices will be announced.

You can watch the event on any iOS device that uses Safari at the Apple Events site, but I'm sure there will be people that will stream it on YouTube once we get closer to the event.

Here's what is expected to be announced today.

iPhone 8/X, Apple Watch 3, iPod Touch, and 4k Apple TV

I'm not going into details of the leaks of the features of iPhone 8, because some people might not want to be spoiled, but we only have about 2 more hours before we find out. :dance:

https://youtu.be/jt2OHQh0HoQ

Over There fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Headphone jack wasn't a problem for me. I didn't have any special headphones I used, so I just used the wired ones that connected via the lightning port that came with the phone. Then I got some Air Pods and they've been pretty sweet.

Not for everyone.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Stream is up!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
https://youtu.be/jt2OHQh0HoQ

YouTube live stream

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Burt Sexual posted:

This seems v boring.

They're talking about the new store redesigns rn

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
P sure I’m just going to get the 8 and let them go ahead and get the kinks out of the X. Comparing the two, there no reason for the extra money right now. Wait till there are more features to go with it next year and it might be worth it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

theperminator posted:

Law enforcement is probably happy they don’t have to worry about Touch ID now. All they need to do is point the phone at your face to unlock it and it’ll probably work even if you’re dead.

Uhhhhhh it doesn’t work with your eyes closed stupid!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I really hope Face ID is a one-time experiment or relegated to the “premium” iPhone and Touch ID sticks around because I really like it on my iPhone SE and it’s probably the best new thing Apple has created in years. gently caress.

I think what they want to do is just move everyone to an all screen device and teach everyone the swipes. They’re big about taking things away and telling you to get over it in order to pursue their goal for their phone. I’m sure with the newer versions of the X, it will look sleeker and work better

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

walgreenslatino posted:

if you text a hot girl and she sees your message appear as green on her iPhone, she won't respond. that's just the way it is. i don't make the rules

Some of my friends who are dating actually get pretty upset about this. They really want to date someone with iMessage :psyduck:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I got a Nexus last year thinking I might like it better than iPhone. Nope.

Too buggy and laggy.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Inept posted:

Yeah I had a Nexus 5x and it was kind of lovely speedwise but I was going to just stick with it but it bootlooped. So to replace it I just bought the cheapest phone that would actually get guaranteed regular security updates. Turns out that's an iPhone or a Pixel, and the Pixel was sold out everywhere so gently caress you Google.

I've heard good things about the Pixel, I just love iOS too much to abandon it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

vyst posted:

What's in the bag

Not an iPhone X that's for sure!!!!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Maya Fey posted:

what the heck do you do with a 1000 dollar phone that you cant with literally any phone released in the past 5 years [serious replies only]

I'd say my favorite are live photo, 3d touch, waterproof (not having the screen gently caress up in the rain ), and touch id with apple pay.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh Over There, Nintendo and Apple? :(

I have the Switch, One, PS4, and PC so its not really the same ballpark. I was switching around Android and iOS yearly but I think I've settled on iPhone being my favorite. To each their own!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

shut up blegum posted:

Just use WhatsApp? What's wrong with you all

nothing much whats app with you dawg

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Just joshing! Two out of four good system choices isn't bad :kiddo: But this is an apple thread, so I'll stay on topic by saying a few of the Apple fans I know still don't want to pay a grand on a phone, but hey, I'm getting a note 8 so I can't really say poo poo.

I agree with them! I don't want to pay for the X so I'm just got to get the cheaper 8+

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

5-HT posted:

lmbo. it's perception. women just don't like green text if they have iPhones (most do).

How about we change that phrase to "people who have iMessage like it when other people have iMessage because it's much more responsive and has some features like they to share with the other user" rather than that.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

COMRADES posted:

Because that's bullshit and you goddamn know it lmao

:confused:

its better than saying "lol girls don't like green texts"

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

COMRADES posted:

It's because the truth is actually "lol shallow idiots want you to have an iPhone" because

I'm sure there are some scumbags like that but if anything, two iphones interact much better than one android and one iphone and have a lot more features. Kinda like how you're given more features if you have other Apple devices in your ecosystem. They all work with each other.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

emoji posted:

I only talk to people without iMessage on Facebook or some other app that works like iMessage because SMS is actually extremely poo poo

username/post combo :eyepop:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just saying certain devices work better with other specific devices. Dunno what to tell ya.

Google and Amazon are trying to do the same thing. They want you to buy multiple of their products instead of another companies by making it so they integrate easily.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Blue Train posted:

It's all software and Apple could easily release imessage for other devices if they wanted to. They don't because it keeps people buying their hardware, hth

Yeah that's what I was trying to getting at. I wasn't trying to say Apple was superior, but that is why people who are already invested in Apple enjoy seamless interaction between another apple device and it was specifically designed to be that way.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Mozi posted:

i dunno man iTunes loving blows on any platform

I haven’t heard anyone disagree on this. Piece of poo poo software since day 1

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Bombadilillo posted:

Lol seemless. How did Apple convince its users that the hoops they jump through to do things don’t count because?

Im talking seamless as in like if you own an Apple TV and an iPhone, you can press two buttons and play whatever you have on your phone on the tv.

Or if you take a picture on your phone it automatically populates on your Mac.

These companies try to come out with products to make tasks easier for the consumer and that’s what Apple is trying to do as well, so they create incentive for you to buy their product over the competition.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

COMRADES posted:

Just sayin'

Nothing describes me better than agreeing with Twitter randos

Over There posted:

I’m sure there are some scumbags like that

Didn’t disagree with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

COMRADES posted:

Look if you’re asserting that no, people aren’t just shallow and on some “lol poors” poo poo and it’s really about how easily the devices interact with each other then I disagree that’s all.

I say there’s both people who are shallow like that (which is obvious from your evidence) and there are some people who do just find iMessage more convenient.

• Locked thread