Register a SA Forums Account here!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

So an older friend of mine is deciding get rid of a bunch of rifles. They are all custom or semi custom hunting and varmint rifles. They are really nice. They have very nice walnut stocks.

Custom Barrels. Usually by a local barrel maker but this is a Shilen, and a big one.

The problem is, he is a full left shooter so the bolts are on the wrong side for me. Well, those with bolts anyway.

I haven't figured out where it came from, but it's a Farquharson style falling block. My friend doesn't know really either, since it came from a cousin of his who came from somewhere down in the southern states. (We's in Canada, btw) The cousin has been passed away for quite a while now.

You would think that for what it's chambered in, it would have something a little more forgiving than this as a buttpad

Oh, oh yeah. It's chambered for 375 H&H Flanged Magnum Nitro Express?

Basically, a rimmed, beltless 375 H&H for single and double rifles. It runs a little lower chamber pressure for safety when going after African nasty biteys, but the load data I was given is right up there with a regular 375 H&H.

Brass is drat near unobtanium, but luckily it came with about 60 brass, reloading dies and holder. (303 Brit in there because I think the Flanged looks like a big fuckoff 303.)

With the big honking barrel on there, unloaded with the rings the gun comes in at about 13 pounds. My fully loaded and scoped Rigby is 12. The weight makes up for the steel butt pad, and the felt recoil is lower than my friends Zastava 375 H&H.

I spent the better part of an evening googling around to figure out who made this rifle to no avail. There are oddities which aren't helping me, but would probably help someone more knowledgeable. Things like there is no safety.

Which is great when the trigger is 3 pounds. Hidden by the buttstock is something? Missing?

Why is there a smalled tapped hole in the trigger? What was that little slot above the trigger for? Who was OZ?

There is the number 577 stamped in the front of the action, hidden behind the forestock and a serial number on the upper left side of the action.

And Crown BV on the bottom of the action and on the block itself. (With a little Balistol)

The lack of safety and the placement of the screws on the side of the action confuses me. If there were any other roll marks they were engraved over, if the engraving wasn't original. It's not a Ruger? Is it British? Maybe, but it's definitely not an old as balls Gibbs or Jeffery. There were / are parts kits but nothing I've found has the features (or lack thereof) that this one does. Is the outer S/N even the original one? When Bill C-68 was enacted, all firearms had to be registered with a S/N. If they didn't have one, one would be provided by the RCMP and it would have to be engraved or had a sticker put on.

It was re barreled in 1987, so anything on the barrel isn't much help. Before being chambered for 375 H&H Flanged, it was a 270-348 Winchester. The fellows load data suggests it he had it hotter than the 270 WSM.

This rifle is not really appropriate for hunting. The lack of safety and light trigger means that it has to be carried unloaded. Regular slings don't really work, as when you put it over your shoulder it quickly works it's way up side down pointing behind you. A Safari style sling is needed to carry it (which it comes with). It would also be an odd choice for target shooting, although my friend was able to reliably shoot 3/4" groups with it with 300 grain Sierras at 100 yards.

I'm sure there is no collectors value on this rifle, unless it comes up as some wild rear end Neidner-Sturtven but even then what good would it be? It's not original, and some of the screws have been a little mangle hosed.

So, why did I buy it? Short version - because I can. That's pretty much as good a reason for any of my guns.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Holy poo poo, that's a neat rifle. I'd have been all over that.

Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

I love old wood.

Sep 25, 2006

Oct 7, 2010

This box thread is best box thread

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007
The Bartender

Talk about a moon bullet, Jesus. Neat rifle

Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

If it was rebarreled the 577 probably refers to its original caliber. .577 Snider mayhaps, like deep down at its rudimentary core you could almost think of it as sporterized milsurp, which didn't mean back then what it does now; Griffin & Howe built their guns on government Springfields bought through the NRA I think I read. Probably not .577 nitro as that would be a travesty to take apart.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

You could be spot on, or you could be nowhere near the truth. I have no idea. I've been comparing it to whatever pictures of old timey guns I can google up, and some years back I came into a half dozen or so old Gun Digests but nothing solid. Maybe Westley Richards Deely-Edge? They were made until the '50s.

Oh well, it will keep me busy for a while anyway.

Glad you all enjoyed the pictures.

Oct 7, 2010

Was going to post yesterday that Bruce Bertram would probably make some brass for it if you need more but decided not to as I figured wouldn't be able to get it in Canada.

Then I saw the boxes in your photos. Noice.

Aug 19, 2000
Old Man of the Forums

Crown BV is the UK's Birmingham Proof House from 1904 on. That's such a gorgeous rifle. Moon caliber or not I would have done the same thing and bought it.

Yuns fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2017 around 13:55

Sep 25, 2006

Yuns posted:

Crown BV is the UK's Birmingham Proof House from 1904 on. That's such a gorgeous rifle. Moon caliber or not I would have done the same thing and bought it.

All a moon caliber means is you have an excuse to get some more reloading dies and experiment with a new caliber.

edit: the fact that it came with dies says a lot.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

The proof marks are neat, and the only things that keep me believing it is from Britain. The lack of side lever thingies, a safety and where the action screws are gets me confused however.

The load data provided looks like I can simply start with low end 375 H&H data and work up from there. There's a much better chance I'll have this out in -20 rather than +40 so I don't think I have to worry about the change of pressure. The data shows a 300 gr Sierras going 2500 fps.

The Bertram brass is correctly headstamped, but the Bell is simply 375 H&H.

I was also given 2 extra firing pins, hand made by an old German gunstock maker who more than likely worked on this gun.

Oct 7, 2010

Bruce will do whatever headstamp you ask for, it's pretty good.

Was thinking I'd get some 375 and get it as the 375 Bearfucker

Something like that

• Locked thread