Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Astus
Nov 11, 2008


Two months ago, Wolfram von Houten organized an expedition into the Borderlands. Although a minor noble, Wolfram had ambition and, more importantly, enough money to hire a little over sixty people to join his expedition. There was even a famed mercenary captain leading the way. And yet, everything went to poo poo. Spider-riding goblins killed the captain and most of his men he brought with him, and the next week saw the death of almost everyone else to trolls, bandits, poison, and even dehydration. Wolfram is missing, most likely dead in a ditch somewhere, and only nine of you remain. Eventually, you have reached what passes for civilization in these parts, and a fortified town can be spotted in the distance.



Sadly, it looks nothing at all like that image. Its walls are made of wood, the land surrounding it is hills covered with dull shrubs, with no bodies of water in sight. The houses look closer to shacks, with a modest manor seated in the middle. And yet, towns such as this are extremely rare in the Border Princes, so this is the pinnacle of life in this wasteland, everything else is downhill from here. But the walls are sturdy, the town itself built on a hill with steep sides, and the only accessible path leading to the town's gates has a dozen or so pikes topped with the heads of greenskins, so it is also possibly the safest spot you'll find in this region.

The gate is guarded, but the guards wisely decide not to get in the way of an actual knight with proper weapons and armor. Inside is a modest market, selling shoddy clay pots, tin hammered into the rough shape of cutlery, and whatever else passes for trade goods in these parts, although it might be possible to find something of use hidden behind the trash. The town even has a local brewery, although whether you're desperate enough to try their "alcohol" is up to you. Whatever you decide to do with your time, eventually your strange group will draw the attention of those who rule here. A young man in mail armor that is slightly too big for him approaches Sir Guy, clears his throat, and then shouts out a proclamation, despite standing directly in front of the knight. "Gildemeister Tibolino requests your presence at his palace, in order to properly welcome you! Acceptance of the summons is mandatory!" Obviously proud of himself for not forgetting any of the words, the young man stands at attention as he waits for a reply.

________________________
Welcome to the game! The nine(!) players trying to find a way out of this hellhole are:

Mors Rattus: Sir Guy d'Urvaine, Human Knight of the Realm
grassy gnoll: Margot, Human Explorer
Redeye Flight: Mariano Manzanedo del Diamanterra, Human Bodyguard
John Dyne: Roland Mohr, Human Journeyman Wizard
Waci: Maruviel, Elf Noble
wiegieman: Donrod Brightgrip, Dwarf Journeyman Runesmith
thatbastardken: Elise Sterne, Human Veteran
frankenfreak: Lorandara, Elf LuchadorCharlatan
Xun: Attickus, Human Entertainer

Please put your character sheet in your first post, and then I'll link those sheets right above here for convenience. Everyone has some time to do some shopping, although anything of scarce, rare, or very rare availability will need a Gossip test to find. Difficult modifiers are +0% for scarce, -10% for rare, and -20% for very rare. Once everyone has posted what they're doing/their thoughts on the massacre of the expedition/their horror on how far civilization has fallen out here, I'll move the game along to the meeting with the local Prince, unless you guys really want to break off the rails immediately.

Astus fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2017 around 03:11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008


Reserved in case I need it.


In the mean time, have some maps of the local region:


Terrain Map:



Map with Border Princes:


You are currently in Tibolino's realm, near the north border.

Astus fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2017 around 18:36

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Sir Guy d'Urvaine

Gossip check! Fel 43-0 for leather (roll: 20), Fel 43-10 for studded (roll: 19), Fel 43-10 for mail (roll: 94)

"And so, Margot, I spotted some barding at the leatherworkers over there. Get the full studded set if you can, yes? I'm sure we have enough to cover that, and Laurent here deserves better than no armor at all! Perhaps the plain leather for Vitesse? I leave that to your consideration of our finances. The pursestrings are yours to protect."

Full leather is 75 gc, full studded leather is 270 gc. AP 1 and AP 2, respectively, for a horse.

Guy, mounted atop his horse, pats the big destrier on the neck fondly. (His other horse, a smaller warhorse named Vitesse, has been offered to Margot to ride if desired. If not, it is then offered to Maruviel for temporary riding, then Lorandara.) When addressed, however, he calls for a halt. "Ah, my good man! I would love nothing so much as to meet with your master. You will, of course, allow us to get the horses properly stabled and seen to. And the sheep. And...the bear. If you could point us towards an inn and stable that this could be taken care of, I will happily meet with Gildemaster Tibolino."

Guy dismounts easily, smiling brightly. "You may tell your lord that Sir Guy d'Urvaine, lately of Carcassone, is pleased to visit him. These," he gestures, "are the fine Ladies Lorandara and Maruviel. My trusted aide-de-camp, Margot. And our company of shepherds, of course."

I ain't recall poo poo about Tibolino except for what I can know without a roll.

quote:

WS: 51, BS: 29, S: 50, T: 41, Ag 44, Int 31, WP 36, Fel 43
A 2, W: 14, SB 5, TB 4, M 5, Mag 0, IP 0, FP 2

Advances: WS 15/25%, BS -, S 10/15%, T 10/15%, Ag 10/15%, Int -, WP 5/10%, Fel 10/15%
A 1/1, W 2/4, SB -, TB -, M -, Mag -, IP -, FP -

Skills: Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry, Strategy/Tactics), Animal Care, Animal Training, Command, Common Knowledge (Bretonnia, Border Princes), Dodge Blow, Gossip, Outdoor Survival, Ride, Speak Language (Breton, Reikspiel)
Talents: Birth Sword (+5% WS with Birth Sword, deals SB+1. Also, +10% on Fear and Terror tests), Etiquette (+10% on Charm and Gossip tests/other situations related to nobility and etiquette), Fleet Footed (+1 M), Seasoned Traveler (+10% on Common Knowledge and Speak Language tests), Specialist Weapon Group (Cavalry), Strike Mighty Blow (+1 damage with melee weapons), Virtue of Chivalry, Virtue of Discipline (Enemies get no WS bonus for outnumbering Guy)
Special +10% to Common Knowledge about Carcassone.

Trappings: Birth sword, Heavy armor (full plate), Medium armor (mail shirt, mail coif, leather jack, helmet), 2 Lances, 2 Shields, icon of the Lady of the Lake, Destrier with saddle and harness, Light Warhorse with saddle and harness, fief, common clothing, tattered cloak, dagger on belt, sling bag with blanket, wooden tankard and cutlery, hand weapon (another, less cool sword), 8 gc

Career Exits: Captain, Courtier, Explorer, Faceless, Noble Lord, Politician, Questing Knight

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2017 around 00:16

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Donrod Brightgrip, Runesmith


Donrod's day hasn't improved at the sight of what passes for a town in the borderlands. What a worthless pile of sticks is the only thing that passes through his mind, but at least they should have a smithy. Grimnir only knows that he'll need to spend some time in there, with the sorry showing the lot of them made against those grobi. And then, there's this foolish thing coming up and barking orders. The dwarf simply spits and lays his hands on his belt. "Manling, you may return to your master and tell him that he may send you to bark for him at whichever men he pleases, but even a fool with broad enough shoulders to fit his mail will do no such thing to a Dwarf. Whomever chooses to jump when called may do so, but I shall come to see this lord of yours if I deem it fit, and naught else. Do I make myself clear?" With that he clomps off in search of an anvil, calling back over his shoulder, "Send one of the knife-ears to get me if you need to. That would be funny."

Donrod is looking around for a smithy that doesn't totally suck in order to try and get some work done. My eventual goal is to forge a weapon I can put some runes on, but that doesn't tend happen in an afternoon.

pre:
Name: Donrod Brightgrip
Race: Dwarf
Career: Apprentice Runesmith -> Journeyman Runesmith

Characteristics   
  
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | IN | WP | FE |
Starting  : | 46 | 30 | 32 | 43 | 21 | 34 | 38 | 19 |
Advance   : | 10 | 05 | 10 | 05 | 05 | 20 | 25 | 05 | 
Taken     : | 05 |    | 10 |    |    | 10 | 25 |    |
Current   : | 51 | 30 | 42 | 43 | 21 | 44 | 63 | 19 |

Secondary : | A  | W  | SB | TB | M  | MG | IP | FP |
Starting  : | 1  | 12 |  4 |  4 | 3  |  0 |  0 |  1 |
Advance   : | -  | 03 |  - |  - | -  |  2 |  - |  1 | (if luck talent)
Taken     : | -  | 02 |  - |  - | -  |  2 |  - |  0 |
Current   : | 1  | 14 |  4 |  4 | 3  |  2 |  0 |    |

characteristics: 8#2d10 12 9 18 13 10 4 16 14 mercy the 4 to 11
wounds & fate: 1d10 6 1d10 2

Skills:
Common Knowledge (Dwarfs), Speak Language (Khazalid), 
Speak Language (Reikspiel), Trade (Smith) +10
Academic Knowledge (Runes), Evaluate, Perception, Read/Write, 
Runecraft +10, Speak Arcane Language (Arcane Dwarf), Trade (Armourer, Weaponsmith)

Talents:
Dwarfcraft, Grudge-born Fury, Night Vision, Resistance to Magic, Stout-hearted, Sturdy 
Runes (Striking, Stone, Fury, Flaming)

Trappings:
common clothing consisting of a shirt, breeches, and worn boots
a tattered cloak
a dagger tucked in a boot or belt
a sling bag or a backpack containing a blanket
a wooden tankard
a wooden cutlery set
a hand weapon (axe) 
a purse holding 2d10 Gold Crowns (gc)
Medium Armour, Trade Tools (Runesmith)
One Runic Item (Best Full Plate Armor, Master Rune of Gromril)

Experience:		6/6
Mag +1                    1
Runecraft +10             1
WP +5                     1
S +5                      1
Rune of Fury              1
Rune of Flaming           1

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010
I liked it--it was witty enough and a lot more impressive than I was expecting for a girl's toy cartoon. So I thought, "Hmm. I'm on Something Awful. I don't see a thread for this anywhere, but other people might like it--it's not like it would be the first cartoon for kids that SA's taken a shine to." So I made a real earnest thread and put it up in TV/IV. And I was both right and wrong, because the forum blew up and fell over, and the thread got raided to shit by FYAD, and in like I think two weeks the show was banned outright because people kept causing fucking drama.


Mariano Manzanedo



Well, it could be worse, is the thought that passes through Mariano's mind as they walk through the gates of town. Defensible location, and whoever is running this place knows how to maintain and build a fortification. "Well. We should, at the least, be able to sleep in security at last. And if Senor von Houten has somehow survived, he will either find his way here or die in the lands beyond." He doffs his hat, in a final measure of respect for his former employer, before a thought strikes him and he frowns. "Though those were distinctly orcs, not goblins, on those pikes. Do they not range this far south?"

One of the guards makes passing mention of the brewery, and Mariano perks up, redonning his hat. "Well. I shall kill two birds with one stone, I think. Sample the local vintage, and see what is known about our perseguidores." He half-bows, before setting off. "En un momento."

Gossip for Goblins: 1d100 98 Failure!

quote:

<Redeye> Astus, I'm going to go try the wine, how bad is it
<Astus> imagine drinking water from a murky river, but also with a hint of grape

It is a very sour-faced Estalian that rejoins the group some time later, shaking his head as the knight and dwarf emerge from the leatherworker. "Well. My news is all bad," he says, looking particularly at Brightgrip.

It is at about that point that the erstwhile herald marches up, and makes his rather overloud announcement. Mariano can't help but smile, even as his mind starts to work. Tibolino. Tilean, or I have never heard such a name. Gildemaster, though... more of a northern title. Ach, I never paid mind to the squabbles of the merchant princes...

He gives the matter a mental shrug, and doffs his hat, bowing. "Mariano Manzanedo del Diamanterra, at your service."

pre:
Name: Mariano Manzanedo del Diamanterra
Race: Human
Career: Estalian Diestro -> Bodyguard
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 170
Hair: Black
Mustache: Adequate
Eyes: Pale Grey
Age: None of your business (27)
Siblings: 6
Distinguishing Mark: Missing digit (ring finger, right hand)
Starsign: Mummit the Fool
Birthplace: Diamenterra, Estalia

Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL|
Starting  : | 35 | 25 | 31 | 26 | 37 | 29  | 33 | 32 |
Advances  : | 15 | 00 | 05 | 05 | 10 | 05  | 00 | 00 |
Taken     : | 15 | 00 | 05 | 05 | 10 | 05  | 00 | 00 |
Current  :  | 50 | 25 | 36 | 36 | 47 | 34  | 33 | 32 |

Secondary : | A  | W  | SB | TB | M  | MAG | IP | FP |
Starting  : | 1  | 12 | 3  | 2  | 4  | 0   | 0  | 2  |
Advances  : | 1  | 3  | -  | -  | -  | -   | -  | -  |
Taken     : | 1  | 3  | -  | -  | -  | -   | -  | -  |
Current   : | 2  | 15 | 3  | 2  | 4  | 0   | 0  | 2  |

Skills:
Academic Knowledge (Science)
Common Knowledge (Estalia)
Speak Language (Estalian)
Speak Language (Reikspiel)
Dodge Blow
Heal
Read/Write
Perception

Talents: 
Specialist Weapon Group (Fencing)
Specialist Weapon (Parrying)
Swashbuckler
Quick Draw
Disarm
Hardy
Night Vision
Strike to Stun
Very Resilient

Trappings:
Rapier and Main Gauche
One set of knuckle-dusters (Nuln style)
Two throwing daggers (Bandit vintage)

One set Best Craftsmenship Clothes (Elaborate jacket, waistcoat, elegant breeches, fancy boots, fur-lined wool cloak)
Cologne (Tilean, Aroma of Luccinian Dignity)
One Healing Draught
Leather Jack (bandit vintage)
Buckler
One slightly dated Trantine-style hat
One set Commmon Craftsmenship Clothes (shirt, breeches, traveling boots)
Tattered cloak
Dagger (boot)
Backpack with sleeping roll
Wooden tankard and cutlery set
Purse containing 16 gold crowns (GC)

Advances:
1 Wound
S: Heal
S: Perception
T: Disarm
T: Strike to Stun
T: Very Resilient

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2017 around 19:26

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Elise Sterne



pre:
Name: Elise Sterne
Race: Human
Career: Soldier -> Veteran
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 120
Hair: Ash Blonde
Eyes: Grey-Blue
Distinguishing Mark: Missing Nail
Age: 19
Siblings: 4
Starsign: Grungni’s Baldric
Birthplace: Nordland, Arable Farm

Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL|
Starting  : | 37 | 39 | 31 | 31 | 36 | 30  | 30 | 34 |
Advances  : | 20 | 20 | 10 | 10 | 15 | 00  | 15 | 00 |
Taken     : | 10 | 10 | 10 | 10 | 15 | 00  | 10 | 00 |
Current  :  | 47 | 49 | 41 | 41 | 51 | 30  | 40 | 34 |

Secondary : | A  | W  | SB | TB | M  | MAG | IP | FP |
Starting  : | 1  | 11 | 3  | 3  | 4  | 0   | 0  | 3  |
Advances  : | 1  | 6  | -  | -  | -  | -   | -  | -  |
Taken     : | 1  | 2  | -  | -  | -  | -   | -  | -  |
Current   : | 2  | 13 | 4  | 4  | 4  | 0   | 0  | 3  |

Skills:
Animal Care
Common Knowledge (The Empire +10)
Dodge Blow
Drive
Gamble
Gossip +10
Heal
Intimidate
Perception
Ride
Speak Language (Reikspiel)

Talents:
Acute Hearing
Disarm
Mighty Shot
Quickdraw
Rapid Reload
Sharpshooter
Specialist Weapon Group (Gunpowder, Two Handed)
Strike to Injure
Strike Mighty Blow
Strike to Stun
Warrior Born

Trappings:
Firearm with powder/shot for 10 shots
Shield
Full Leather Armour
Uniform
Full Mail Armour
Bottle of Good Spirits
Two Weapons (Halberd, Pistol with powder/shot for 10 shots)
common clothing consisting of a shirt, breeches, and worn boots
a tattered cloak
a dagger tucked in a boot or belt
a sling bag or a backpack containing a blanket
a wooden tankard
a wooden cutlery set
a hand weapon (sword)
a purse holding 9 Gold Crowns (gc)

Career Exits: Champion, Farmer, Judicial Champion, Outlaw Chief, Sergeant, Targeteer

Advances:
All of Soldier
WP +5
Strength +10
Toughness +10
Agility +5
Famed mercenary captain, was he? Of what, some soft southern regiment or militia that hadn't seen a greater challenge than chasing outlaws or putting down rioting city dwellers? Elise would have spat at his memory if her throat wasn't so damned dry. She'd seen the canyon narrowing and the scrub cover increasing, warned the sergeant about the chance of an ambush, and the captain had waved the warning away to look impressive in front of Van Houten. Well, the spray of arterial blood from the arrow in his neck had been impressive all right, as had his gurgling screams. The speed at which the company had been picked apart after that was unsurprising, and it was mostly fortune (and the judicious application of blackpowder) that had kept her alive and in the company of this lunatic knight. The long walk had been the worst part, heat and lack of clean water had her on the verge of delirium at times.

On arrival at whatever this little hole is called she made the only sensible decision a soldier can make in these circumstances, and went looking for food and drink. Soup, bread, and beer (a pretty ordinary lager) later she made for the market. Finally far enough away from home to sell off her Nordland State Troop uniform of thick and bright yellow and blue wool and the associated and marked leather armour without raising questions, she puts some of the raised money into getting clothing better suited to the Badlands. Badlanders value water more than almost anything else, and sell well crafted skins to carry it in. Hers was miles back in goblin territory, so she bought a new one, and some of the better 'quality' spirits available to dilute in water to make it potable. A futile search for powder ensued, followed by a more fruitful search for lead shot (easy enough to melt to fit her firearm and pistol) before she returned to meet with her comrades.


When the 'herald' wandered off she shook her head in exaggerated despair and remarked to Mariano:

"I've seen worse latrines, but not by a lot. Hope this Gildemeister can offer us more than the local swill."


Starting Gold: 9gc

Selling:
my spare full leather armour - 25gc?
Uniform - 15gc?

Buying:
Good Craft Good Clothing = 9gc
Good Craft Broad Brimmed Hat = 3gc
Best Waterskin = 80s (4gc)
Best Rotgut = 3s, 8p
Food per day (Common) 10p
Beer, Pint (1p)
20 Firearm Shot (2s)

Remaining: 41?gc, 13s, 5p

Gossip (finding powder) TN 14: 1d100 66
Gossip (finding shot) TN 24: 1d100 20

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Sep 16, 2017 around 09:50

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?




Roland Mohr

The wizard was exhausted. So many men had died, and in a place so foul as the borderlands. He performed the rites of Morr as best as he could, and used his magic to ensure their bodies wouldn't be fodder for the chaos cults and necromancers that wandered the badlands, but to lose so many men in such a short span? The effort had drained Roland. At the sight of a town, he muttered and removed his ritual mask, his face and hair slicked with sweat.



"Finally we can lay down on something other than a linen bag stuffed with leaves, eh, Cristoff?" Roland glanced around, frowning as he saw his raven alight itself on one of the orc heads and begin snacking. "Cristoff, no! You don't know where that's been!" He pauses as he approaches the bird. "Actually, I have a good idea where it's been, and that's even more reason to STOP THAT, BAD BIRD."

Once he's collected his familiar, and when the herald approaches, Roland waves off the rest of the group. "I'm exhausted, Guy. I'm going to retire to the inn and rest. The winds of magic give power and take it in equal measures, and I've tapped shysh heavily these past few days." He doesn't wait for a response, marching off to the inn.

Inside, he gives pause to the odd decorations of the little inn, particularly the frame on the wall that, he discovers, is a bizarre map of the region. He scratches his chin as he studies it while waiting for his room to be prepared. Must be a Tilean thing.



pre:
Name: Roland Mohr
Race:  Human
Career: Apprentice Wizard -> Journeyman Wizard

Characteristics   

Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | IN | WP | FE |
Starting  : | 37 | 29 | 31 | 36 | 30 | 34 | 38 | 26 |
Advance   : | 05 | 05 | -- | 05 | 10 | 20 | 25 | 10 | 
Taken     : | 05 | 00 | 00 | 00 | 05 | 10 | 20 | 05 |
Current   : | 42 | 29 | 31 | 36 | 35 | 44 | 58 | 31 |

Secondary : | A  | W  | SB | TB | M  | MG | IP | FP |
Starting  : | 1  | 11 |  3 |  3 | 3  |  0 |  0 |  2 |
Advance   : | -  | 03 |  - |  - | -  |  2 |  - |  - |
Taken     : | -  | 02 |  - |  - | -  |  2 |  - |  0 |
Current   : | 1  | 13 |  3 |  3 | 3  |  2 |  0 |  2 |



Skills:
Common Knowledge (The Empire)
Gossip
Speak Language (Reikspiel. Classical)
Academic Knowledge (Magic)
Channeling +10
Intimidate
Magical Sense
Perception
Read/Write
Search
Speak Arcane Language (Magick)

Talents:
Warrior Born
Sturdy
Aethyric Attunement
Petty Magic (Arcane)
Very Resilient
Mighty Missile

Trappings:
Quarter Staff, Backpack, Printed Book, Grimoire, Writing Kit
common clothing consisting of a shirt, breeches, and worn boots
a tattered cloak
a dagger tucked in a boot or belt
a sling bag or a backpack containing a blanket
a wooden tankard
a wooden cutlery set
a sword 
a purse holding 14 Gold Crowns (gc)

Experience:		0/0
Mag +1
Arcane Lore (Death - Cardinal)
Mighty Missile
Channeling +10
WS +5
WP +5
Spells
Acceptance of Fate - TN 14, 1.5 actions, coffin nail (+2)
-Allies gain Fearless talent for 6 rounds.

The Animus Imprisoned - TN 29, 2 full actions, rib of a jailer (+3)
-Trap target's soul in a jar. Body continues to function and can be damaged, healed, etc. but is lifeless husk. If bottle is opened without right rituals or away from body, soul becomes a ghost.

Death's Release - TN 14, Full Action, human skull (+2)
-Entrap target with Ethereal talent with the winds of Shyish. Target must pass a WP -10 test or be forced to confront it state, imposing -10 on WS tests and reducing them to only a half action. Continue to test until they succeed, or fail three times, which lets them pass from the mortal world.

Deathsight - TN 5, full action, grave dirt (+1)
-Can see ghosts for an hour.

Knocks of the Departed - TN 18, full action, scrap of clothing worn by the dead in life (+2)
-Can ask and receive the answer to one question from a dead person, but must be answerable by a number of knocks, IE 'how many bandits' or a yes/no question. Spirit can lie and doesn't know anything beyond what they knew in life.

Limbwither - TN 11, full action, wrought iron nail (+2)
-Deaden a limb for a number of minutes (6 rounds/min) equal to magic characteristic. May choose which arm/leg, and victims suffers as if having lost that limb.

Reaping Scythe - TN 8, half action, miniature iron scythe (+1)
-Spawn a scythe made of Amethyst energy. 1d10+5, Fast quality, +10 to WS while wielding. Remains for a number of rounds equal to magic characteristic, and a +0 WP tests keeps it manifested afterwards.

Steal Life - TN 16, half action, vial of blood (+2)
-Cause 1d10 damage with no TB or Armor reduction if WP test fails. Heal self for same amount. Useless against daemons and undead.

Ward Against Abomination - TN 12, full action, wood/stone from a cemetery fence (+2)
-Can remain motionless and maintain a Magic characteristic x 4 yard field that prevents any Undead from approaching. Mummies, vampires, wights, and wraiths may make an opposed WP test to try to ignore field.

Youth's Bane - TN 23, full action, cutting of ivy from a priest's grave (+3)
-Target must pass a WP test or age immediately, losing 1d10 from strength and toughness. Has no effect on daemons, undead, items, or natural materials.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2017 around 12:01

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010
I liked it--it was witty enough and a lot more impressive than I was expecting for a girl's toy cartoon. So I thought, "Hmm. I'm on Something Awful. I don't see a thread for this anywhere, but other people might like it--it's not like it would be the first cartoon for kids that SA's taken a shine to." So I made a real earnest thread and put it up in TV/IV. And I was both right and wrong, because the forum blew up and fell over, and the thread got raided to shit by FYAD, and in like I think two weeks the show was banned outright because people kept causing fucking drama.


Mariano Manzanedo

Elise Sterne posted:

When the 'herald' wandered off she shook her head in exaggerated despair and remarked to Mariano:

"I've seen worse latrines, but not by a lot. Hope this Gildemeister can offer us more than the local swill."

Mariano nods. "His name sounds Tilean. If he is, then it should be so. For whatever else their failings, the Tileans take great pride in their wine." He shoots a sidelong glance at the brewery, and lowers his voice. "Imported, hopefully."

He takes note of her purchases, thoughtfully. "Ah, I see you have had better luck than myself. Where did you find the food?"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

Coming from the deeps of the Frankenwald to haunt you



Lorandara Vivandrel
Current Character Sheet

Finally, civilization! On her travels through the Empire, Lorandara had seen better and she had seen worse. This town at least had some sort of wall keeping the worst dangers outside. After passing through them, she finally could ease up a little. Of course the arrival of such a colorful group as this one wouldn't go unnoticed. As the young man approaches and shouts his proclamation, she gives a curtsy, almost whimsically. As Guy asks for directions towards an inn to stable the menagerie accompanying them, she adds: "Indeed an inn would be useful. Not only to have our animals taken care of, but also to allow us ladies to freshen up a little and let us make ourselves a little more presentable to the... Gildemeister, it was?"

Yes, it would be useful to get to an inn. Hopefully she'd get a room for herself, allowing her to take off her mask and rinse it and her face after weeks of not having a chance to do so. And of course she wants get out of those travel clothes, covered in dirt and blood. She would slip into something more comfortable for a meeting with this Tibolino fellow. An upstarted burgomeister from the sound of it, likely to be impressed by the show Guy, Maruviel and herself should be able to put on. She was a little excited for this.

But the really important thing was the chance to spend a night in a real bed for once, without having to keep watch, without having to fear an attack by wildlife or goblins or worse, maybe even without dreaming of the horrors those had inflicted on the expedition.

pre:
Name: Lorandara
Race: Elf
Career: Charlatan (Ex-Entertainer) 
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 130 lbs.
Hair: Dark Brown
Eyes: Dark Brown
Distinguishing Marks: Ragged Ear
Age: 120
Siblings: 1
Starsign: Rhya's Cauldron (Sign of Mercy, Deah and Creation)
Birthplace: City of Altdorf

Character Profile
Primary   : | WS | BS | S  | T  | AG | INT | WP | FEL|
Starting  : | 35 | 36 | 40 | 34 | 40 | 28  | 32 | 33 |
Advances  : | 10 | 10 | 05 | 10 | 15 | 15  | 15 | 25 |
Taken     : | 10 | 10 | 05 | 00 | 10 | 00  | 05 | 10 |
Current   : | 45 | 46 | 45 | 34 | 50 | 28  | 37 | 43 |

Secondary : | A  | W  | SB | TB | M  | MAG | IP | FP |
Starting  : | 1  | 10 | 4  | 3  | 5  | 0   | 0  | 2  |
Advances  : | 0  |  4 | -  | -  | -  | 0   | -  | -  |
Taken     : | 0  |  2 | -  | -  | -  | -   | -  | -  |
Current   : | 1  | 12 | 4  | 3  | 5  | 0   | 0  | 2  |

Skills: 
Blather
Charm (affects up to 10x as many)
Common Knowledge (Elves)
Common Knowledge (the Empire)
Evaluate
Perception (+10% when sight)
Performer (Acrobat)
Performer (Actor)
Speak Language (Eltharin)
Speak Language (Reikspiel) +10%
Swim

Talents:
Specialist Weapon Group (Longbow)
Coolheaded
Excellent Vision
Natural Weapons
Night Vision
Public Speaking
Streetwise
Very Strong
Wrestling

Trappings: 
common clothing consisting of a shirt, breeches, and worn boots
a tattered cloak
a dagger tucked in a boot or belt
a sling bag or a backpack containing a blanket
a wooden tankard
a wooden cutlery set
a hand weapon (axe, club, sword, etc.) 
a purse holding 12 Gold Crowns (gc)
Light Armour (Leather Jack)
Trade Tools (Performer)
Costume
6 sets of Common Clothes
4 sets of Best Craftsmenship Clothes
Forged Document
4 bottles of variously colored water
4 bottles of variously colored powder

Career Exits: Cat Burglar, Demagogue, Outlaw, Politician, Spy
Career Planning: -> Spy -> Racketeer -> Politician -> Crime Lord|Noble Lord

Advances:
2 for Natural Weapons
Public Speaking
Streetwise
+5% Weapon Skill
+5% Strength

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at Oct 16, 2017 around 08:45

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Guy

Guy has left his wardrobe entirely in Margot's hands. He's a rough fellow, in truth - not especially interested in finery when he can instead be stopping threats to the innocent. Even if he rarely actually talks to the poor people he is so willing to champion.

"Of course, friends Donrod and Mohr." He waves a hand. "We'll handle the meeting while you rest. And I shouldn't be surprised if orcs have made their way this far south. They're a blight enough when you fight constantly to keep them out of trouble. I can only imagine how bad it must get in the Borderlands...ah, well. At least someone's killed enough to mount them up there. The brutes only understand such force."

He turns back to the servant sent to meet them.

"You will excuse their roughness, I'm sure. We've had a trying journey, and we are warriors rather than courtiers, for the most part."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

pre:
Margot
Cartographer - Explorer

WS	28	20	33
BS	32	20	32
S	25	10	25
T	32	15	37
Ag	31	15	36
Int	35	25	60
WP	33	20	43
Fel	30	15	35

A	1	1
W	11	6	13
SB	2	
TB	3	
M	5	
Mag	0	
IP	0	
FP	3	

Talents
Excellent Vision
Fleet Footed
Marksman
Orientation
Seasoned Traveler

Skills
Academic Knowledge (geography)
Common Knowledge (Bretonnia)
Evaluate
Gossip
Navigation
Outdoor Survival
Perception
Read/write
Speak Language (Breton, Reikspiel, Tilean)
Trade (Cartography)

Trappings
Crossbow (10 bolts)
Hand Wepaon
Medium armor (Mail shirt, leather jack)
Shield
Writing Kit
riding horse with saddle and harness
3 map cases, six maps
1008 GC
common clothing consisting of a shirt, breeches, and worn boots
a tattered cloak
a dagger tucked in a boot or belt
a sling bag or a backpack containing a blanket
a wooden tankard
a wooden cutlery set
a hand weapon (axe, club, sword, etc.)
a purse holding 2d10 Gold Crowns (gc)

Stat roll: http://orokos.com/roll/546481
Wounds roll: http://orokos.com/roll/546484
Fate point roll: http://orokos.com/roll/546486
Random human talents: http://orokos.com/roll/546486, Fleet of Foot and Marksman
Money roll: http://orokos.com/roll/546488
Map cases roll: http://orokos.com/roll/546489

Explorer advances -
+1 Atk
Evaluate
+3 Advance Int
+1 Advance WP
"Just so, my Lord," Margot says. While she was not quick enough to interpose herself between Sir Guy and this strange armsman, perhaps whatever this man's master wanted would distract her liege from his strange fancy for dressing up the horses.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Elise Sterne


Redeye Flight posted:

Mariano Manzanedo
He takes note of her purchases, thoughtfully. "Ah, I see you have had better luck than myself. Where did you find the food?"

She gestures vaguely in the direction of the inn she patronized. "The sign was a dancing goat. Bread isn't stale, soup isn't cold, beer is watered down but not full of piss." Thoughtfully, she adds "I'd avoid the cheese, though. Looked a bit lively."

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Help I can't get up I'm Gay



Attickus
Although he felt exhausted and had the distinct feeling that he would NOT look good in a painting right now, Attickus determinedly marches forward while trying to look as unperturbed as possible. Perhaps if they find somewhere with some water for a bath he could work on a better "trek/uncontrolled run through untamed wilderness" look.

And lo and behold! A little village has appeared in the distance, and how rustic it is! Surely it's residents must live a life free from the modern ratrace. That totally means there must be excellent food and beer hiding somewhere! Or at least beer and food that people haven't heard of, which is almost as good. More importantly, maybe he could find some good places to sketch and pose in.

"I simply MUST try the local craft brews! And maybe try to find a nice hole in the wall place to eat..." His voice fades away into the distance as he runs off, wildly sketching random dirty alleyways as he goes with Bearickus following closely behind him.

Later, after the courier makes his announcement and Sir Guy asks for stables, Attickus hurridly interjects

"Oh no Sir Guy, Bearickus gets so nervous without me, you wouldn't want a sad bear all by himself in some stable would you? No no Bearickus stays with me, yesyoudooo Beary-bear" Attickus affectionately ruffles the top of Bearickuses bear head. The bear does not seem to react in a meaningful manner.

quote:

Career: Bear Tamer -> Entertainer

Starting skill profile
Main Profile
WS BS S T Ag Int WP Fel
33 46 49 41 34 27 42 39
Secondary Profile
A W SB TB M Mag IP FP
1 14 4 4 5 0 0 3

Career Advance scheme
Main Profile
WS BS S T Ag Int WP Fel
+5 +10 +10 +5 +10 0 +10 +10
Secondary Profile
A W SB TB M Mag IP FP
0 +2 0 0 0 0 0 0

Skills:
Common Knowledge (The Empire)
Animal Care
Animal Training
Charm Animal
Gossip +10
Performer (Slam Poetry, Speed Painting)
Charm
Speak Language (Kislevarin, Riekspiel)
Blather

Talents:
Fleet Footed
Marksman
Very Strong
Public Speaking
Very Resilient
Specialist Weapon Group (Throwing)
Quick Draw

Trappings:
Clothes
Dagger
Backpack
Blanket
Wooden tankard
Wooden cutlery set
Axe
10 Gold Crowns
Light armour x2
Whip
Collar and chain
2 Throwing Axes
Good Craftsmanship Clothes (lumberjack)
Bear




Bear Stats:
WS S T AG Int WP
43 52 52 25 10 25
Wounds: 21
Claws: 1d10+6; CV+1

Skills:
Dodge Blow
Intimidate
Perception
Swim

Talents:
Ambidextrous
Frenzy
Keen Senses
Natural Weapons
Strike(Mighty Blow)
Strike to Injure

Xun fucked around with this message at Oct 18, 2017 around 21:27

Waci
May 30, 2011

Let me axe you just one question.


Maruviel Farnoth Eponia Mormacar Ionor-Yavandir

"Civilisation". Well, it had to be better than nothing. Right? There was no way the parts inside the walls could be worse than the bits of borderlands outside. It could not possibly get any worse than this miserable, disgusting shitshow she had woken up in. They had had to actually fight some of the disgusting creatures prowling the place! Not a polite duel or even a much less polite but still reasonably tidy assassination, no. Actual "me goblin, me try to bite your ankle now" fighting!

Considering how gross and indecent this place was, she gets off her (literally) high horse and decides to unload her excess belongings. Not that she had much with her, having been violently packed in the cargo for the first leg of their shared displeasure. Having sold the less useful parts of her belongings (swords, clothes, and other such things) for less than they're worth due to accidentally referring to the merchant's wife as a creature, she tries to find a proper weapon. A foil was fine enough when the enemy was someone who bathed regularly, but in a place like this? She would have to find a way to keep her distance.

Sadly, proper bows seemed to not have reached the area. Unsurprising, considering it was full of humans, but still disappointing. Dejected, she walks into a bowyer's shop. The human seem pleased enough to see a customer, but tragically misinterprets Maruviel's intent when she holds the bow between two fingers at an arms length while looking away from it with a disgusted expression as if the heavy, primitive thing was a rotting carcass. Did the man not understand that for an elf to accept one of his crude toys, even reluctantly, was the greatest compliment he could expect?

Already annoyed at the town and it's people, she sets out to find a drink. Visibly relieved by her one stroke of luck, she encounters a local peddling violently stolen totally honestly acquired loot from a passing caravan imported goods. Spotting among the items a few bottles of something the label indicated was an actually decent wine, she quickly realises the thief legitimate businessman had no idea what the label actually said, only that it looked fancy. Maruviel hands over a few gold coins and walks away with the bottles.

Rejoining the rest of the group holding a now-half-empty bottle, she sits down and attempts to hide the town's existence on the other side of the wine bottle only to be interrupted far too soon by the loud rear end in someone else's armour. Her expression slowly softens as the name and title hit her. Gildemeister. Guildmaster. A merchant-lord.

The one kind of human she was used to dealing with.

Selling common clothes, sword, and main gauche.
After failing by 2 to find an elfbow, buying a longbow and a bunch of arrows.
http://orokos.com/roll/550406 Gossip TN 48 to find quality wine of good craftsmanship: roll 14.
Buying 3 bottles of wine as well.


pre:
Career: Envoy -> Noble

Current skill profile
Main Profile
WS   BS   S   T   Ag  Int   WP   Fel
41   44	  26  32  41  54    40   48
Secondary Profile
A  W   SB   TB   M   Mag   IP   FP    
1  12  2    2    5   0     0    1+1

Career Advance scheme
Main Profile
WS   BS   S   T   Ag  Int   WP   Fel
+10  +5   0   0   +5  +10   +5   +10         
Secondary Profile
A  W   SB   TB   M   Mag   IP   FP    
0  +2  NA   NA   NA  0     NA   NA

Advances bought so far
Main Profile
WS   BS   S   T   Ag  Int   WP   Fel
+10  +5   0   0   +5  +10   +5   +10       
Secondary Profile
A  W   SB   TB   M   Mag   IP   FP    
0  +2  NA   NA   NA  0     NA   NA

Skills:
Common Knowledge (Elves, the Empire)
Speak Language (Eltharin, Reikspiel)
Charm
Evaluate
Gossip
Haggle
Perception
Read/Write
Secret Tongue (Guild Language)
Swim
Trade (Merchant)
Ride
Consume Alcohol

Talents:
Specialist Weapon Group (Longbow, Fencing)
Savvy
Excellent Vision
Night Vision
Dealmaker
Luck
Etiquette

Trappings:
Dagger
Backpack
7gc 10s
Light armour
2 sets of Good clothes
Writing kit
Foil
Noble's garb
Riding horse with saddle and harness
Jewellery (worth 31gc)
Longbow
50 arrows
2 bottles of good craftsmanship quality wine

Advances this career: 
Consume Alcohol
Specialist Weapon Group (Fencing)
Luck
Etiquette
+5 WS
Ride

Career Exits:
Courtier, Dilettante, Pistolier, Politician, Rogue, Squire, Student

Astus
Nov 11, 2008


What Sir Guy knows about Tibolino: Absolutely nothing, which is strange because all nobles love to gossip about rumors of this or that black sheep that got exiled to the Borderlands. Either the man was nothing before he came to the Borderlands, or else he's from the Borderlands.
___________________________

Inside Gildemeister Tibolino's "Palace"

"Welcome to the Seat of Blades, the heart of my realm, and bastion against the Greenskins! Please be seated, honored guests." Tibolino's idea of a dining room seems to consist of several tables thrown together in a slightly large room, while the Gildemeister and his councilors have their own table on a raised platform. Actually, this looks like a hastily repurposed throne room, set up just moments before you arrived. Much like Tibolino himself, who has thrown on furs over his well-worn armor and decorated himself with whatever jewelry was to hand. This is a man who is considerably more comfortable in a fight than he is hosting guests.

"I, uh, noticed that two of your companions did not accept my invitation, but perhaps I was being rude, inviting you all into my home before you've had a chance to rest? I must admit, I was not expecting any travelers to approach from the north, usually only Greenskins come that way. Normally I'd allow you to spend some time recuperating, but I have a, ah, rather urgent matter to discuss." One of the councilors seated to the side of him, a giant of a man, bursts into tears and slams his head into the table in front of him, causing cutlery and plates to bounce into the air. Tibolino clears his throat and gestures to the mini-ogre, "Right, this is Gustav, who used to be my right-hand man when I was still a mercenary captain, and serves as my castellan now that I've ascended to ruler of these lands. His son has been kidnapped, which we assumed was because one of the other lords wanted leverage or a ransom. You know, the normal kind of kidnapping that happens. However, I sent some recruits to go track down the culprit, and what was left of their bodies were found a day later. The peasants that found them claim they had been partially eaten."

At this Gustav raises his head suddenly, tears and snot streaming down his face, as he wails out something unintelligible. Before the Gildemeister can stop him, the castellan slams his head back down again, this time shattering the table as he continues to cry inconsolably. As servants rush forward to clean up the mess, Tibolino pulls out a purse of coins. "The recruits clearly can't handle this, and my mercenary soldiers are needed to defend these walls. We're running out of time. If you could return Gustav's son or at least...confirm his status, I will pay you." Judging by the iron grip he keeps on the purse, he is not normally one to part with his money easily. "Just name your price."

_______________________
Rundown Smithy

Donrod: After a bit of searching around, you eventually come across an anvil which someone is using to make tin tools. It cannot be called a smithy, and the man cannot be called a blacksmith, but he at least knows enough to be embarrassed in front of a dwarf. He will not object if you wish to use his ramshackle forge, but he does mention there is an armorsmith in a village to the southwest, who has the tools and the skill to tend to the mercenary soldiers' armor.


_______________________
Drunken Goat Inn

Roland: Even in the inn in the middle of a fortified town, the winds of shyish are strong, distracting you from your rest. Death is just an everyday acquaintance in this part of the world. Just as you are about to get some actual sleep, something catches Christoff's attention. When you turn to look, all you see is the door shutting. Well, that's certainly not creepy at all.

Astus fucked around with this message at Sep 17, 2017 around 07:37

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?




Roland Mohr

Roland's eyes narrow. With Shyish flowing so strongly, it was likely it was influencing the spirits of this Morr-forsaken land. Cristoff alights onto Roland's shoulder as he focuses his mind, closing his eyes as he brings his hands together before him, his knuckles together and his thumb and forefinger circled together. He mutters an arcane phrase under his breath as he draws the purple wind to him, and when he opens his eyes, they flash a brilliant purple color as Shyish gives him vision beyond death, his familiar cawing as the spell completes. The inn room flickers with purple lights visible only to an Amethyst wizard as he surveys it, seeking the cause of the aethryic disturbance.

"I will be known to you as Roland Mohr, practitioner of the Lore of Death and devotee of Morr, and I demand you show yourself to me, spirit."


Channeling vs 68: 1d100 28
Grants +2 to my Casting attempt.
Deathsight vs 5: 1d10+2 10

Deathsight lets me see ghosts, souls, and spirits that are invisible to the the naked eye for an hour.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010
I liked it--it was witty enough and a lot more impressive than I was expecting for a girl's toy cartoon. So I thought, "Hmm. I'm on Something Awful. I don't see a thread for this anywhere, but other people might like it--it's not like it would be the first cartoon for kids that SA's taken a shine to." So I made a real earnest thread and put it up in TV/IV. And I was both right and wrong, because the forum blew up and fell over, and the thread got raided to shit by FYAD, and in like I think two weeks the show was banned outright because people kept causing fucking drama.


Mariano Manzanedo

It is somewhat to Mariano's disgrace that he cannot participate in the early stages of the conversation; upon being escorted to a dining table and determining it was set out for them, he attacked his portion with all the gusto of a man who had not eaten properly for weeks. After a few moments, he regains his self-consideration, and when eating people is mentioned, he puts down his fork and redirects his full attention, mind racing. That his wineglass leaves him as Gustav snaps the table it's sitting on in half does not hurt.

Eaten. El lo verde? But kidnapping is not the style of orcs. Vampires do not eat people, in that sense, but their undead might. He shivers, involuntarily. Cannibals? I have never heard of such a thing in these wild lands, but that means little. All of this is, of course, contingent on this being not simply wildlife.

He shakes off his reverie, and turns his attention back to the Gildemaster. "I do not claim to lead our fine company, Señor, but, ah, a few questions, if I may." He folds his hands, all business. "How many days ago was this, exactly? And which direction did they go?" He pauses. "These other Lords... which of them might be so base as to resort to kidnapping a child?"

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at Sep 29, 2017 around 09:35

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Elise Sterne

Shaking her head at the sad story, Elise continues stuffing breadrolls and sausage in her pockets and adds her perspective.

"Cannibals? I don't understand them. I'll kill a man in fair fight, or if I think he's going to start a fight. Or if I'm paid to. Or if they insult my honor. But eating people? Seems a little excessive."

She pauses to swallow a mouthful of ale.

"These peasants...they still in town? Might help to talk to them."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Sir Guy

Guy shrugs. "They were tired from our journey, my lord. Do not worry - they mean no disrespect."

He listens quietly, then nods.

"Kidnapping is a foul deed - and cannibalism far worse. Price and reward - well, leave that for later. I swear to you, on my honor, the boy will be returned to you alive if at all possible." Guy isn't about to let a child come to harm if he can help it.

"Tell us, also, if you can - where were the bodies found?"

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

Coming from the deeps of the Frankenwald to haunt you

Vivandrel

Lorandara had changed into nice yellow dress and the yellow mask to go with it. Both were still clean, so she was focused more and not staining it with food - after all getting it clean again was probably a dubious proposition around here. Then she hears Guy prattling on about honor over money and decides to intervene.

With a gentle laugh, she interjects: "Oh, Sir Guy, we are all behind you on this oath. Your honor is impecabble and your humility is befitting a true knight, really. It is honorable to not stain your oath with money, but we need to remember that we still need to do some resupplying after the arduous treck to here. We could very much use an advance on our expenses to ensure the success of our quest. Wouldn't you agree, Margot?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Margot

"No," says Margot. Her knuckles audibly pop behind her back.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Donrod Brightgrip, Runesmith


When the tinsmith (for all that he must be called a smith, despite the state of his place of work) tries to speak to him, Donrod just holds up his hand, and spends the next hour inspecting the shop. It is, in a word, disgraceful. Even in the Grey Mountains, where tin is a respected commodity, a smith would not limit himself to a small hearth and cold metal! At least the anvil is serviceable. Even a runesmith wouldn't be able to purify the metal, build the molds, and harden the piece in the time they're likely to be in town.

He'll be damned if he leaves the hearth in the condition it's in. "What's your name, manling? No, don't answer me now. You can answer when you come back with a thousand bricks. I'm going to need them, and your biggest hammer. This," he indicates the small tinsmith's hearth "is insuffient." With that, he gets to work, knocking out the whole hearth assembly, saving the worthwhile materials, and laying bricks as they come into the shape of a true open hearth forge. (A few curious onlookers are sent on with bruises, because you don't look over a Dwarf's shoulder when he mixing proprietary mortar blends.) It even has a smaller station for tinsmithing work, because Donrod isn't one of those arrogant duzruki from the western holds. Sometimes you don't need to burn that much coal.

Donrod rebuilds the entire forge-hearth overnight, which for tinsmithing is really just a big chimney that the hearth exhausts into, because every town needs a good forge. Tinsmithing! By Grungi!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Sir Guy

"I'll not bargain for money with a child's life on the line. No - I'm sure that the Gildemaster will provide us with the food and supplies we'll need to conduct the rescue, so we can get out there faster. Any purchases we simply want, rather than need, can wait for our return."

Guy nods to the man.

"I hate to impose on you for this, but you understand - haggling with the merchants to supply the company will take valuable time. Every hour wasted is an hour better spent working to save the boy."

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

Coming from the deeps of the Frankenwald to haunt you

Vivandrel

Margot's no had severely disappointed Lorandara. She expected her to be more practically-minded in an effort to counterbalance Guy's bordering-on-foolhardy chivalry. When Guy speaks up again, she's relieved - and quite surprised. A smug grin forms on her face, looking over to Margot to make sure she sees it.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008


Gildemeister Tibolino's Palace

Tibolino seems shocked by Sir Guy's words. "I'm sorry, it's just, the Borderlands is terrifyingly good at weeding out anyone who has morals. I forgot you're new to these lands, and I apologize for treating you like a common mercenary." He hesitates, before adding slowly, "Although, young Johan, Gustav's son, is no child. He just turned twenty, so hopefully that doesn't affect your chivalrous attitude."

Listening to both Mariano's and Elise's questions, Tibolino regains a bit of his composure. "The kidnapping happened a few days ago, the patrol was sent out soon after, and the peasants who found their remains reported it to me yesterday. Johan was being trained to be a proper soldier, so it was odd when we found no signs of struggle in his quarters, but we did find some tracks outside of the town. Care had been taken to hide or erase them where possible, but we believed they led to the southwest. As the bodies of my men were found in that direction, I would say we were right. If you want to ask the peasants any questions, I could summon them here shortly, but I doubt you'll get any more out of them than I did."

At the question of which Princes would stoop so low, Tibolino has to stop himself from laughing. "If it means survival or an advantage over another lord, then nothing is too despicable for the average Prince, unless it would get them overthrown. As for those who have a motive, Waldenmund to the southeast is a greedy bastard, and he isn't fond of me either. I have my own issues with that priest, Liederberg, to the south, although maybe his religion would forbid such an action? Finally, there's my immediate neighbor Slaevas, who already rules a large amount of this region and is always looking for a way to keep expanding. But none of them are cannibals, nor would they tolerate cannibalism in their lands." When it looks like Gustave is about to wail again, Tibolino quickly adds, "Although, we still don't know for certain the cannibalism and Johan being kidnapped are related yet." This seems to relax the giant slightly.


_____________________
Local Smithy, Currently Under Reconstruction

To Donrod, the rebuilt forge is simple but serviceable, not worth being compared to the forges he's used in the past but more than suitable for a tinsmith. For the human smith and the ever-growing crowd of on-lookers (who have learned to keep a respectable distance from the runesmith), it is an engineering marvel, something that stands out from the surrounding ramshackle buildings with how well-built and sturdy it looks. The embarrassed and thoroughly humbled tinsmith, unsure of how to approach Donrod and certain he is about to be the next one to get boxed by the dwarf, decides to bow. "Sir Dwarf, this is too fine of a forge for one such as m'self, and I am forever in your debt. But, I fear I cannot afford to pay you for your service. I promise to pay you back someday, so please, keep me and me family out of your book!"

Rebuilding the smithy so it's serviceable doesn't require a test from Donrod, but if you want to add some other minor improvement in the time you have left, it'll be at Routine (+10%) difficulty. Failure simply means you don't have the materials and/or time necessary. Success will certainly raise Tibolino's opinion of the company, and might grant some other minor effect depending on what you have in mind. Just don't expect the tinsmith to be able to pay you.


_____________________
Drunken Goat Inn

The room darkens slightly as the candles flutter, and a cold draft seeps through the crack in the door as the sounds of the inn drift away, replaced by an eerie silence. Slowly, the shape of an old man becomes visible, his face haggard and his clothes covered in blood. The ghost glides across the floor towards Roland, before sticking his hand out in front of the wizard. "Hello, m'name's Odo, nice ta meetcha Roland." He smiles, revealing the many gaps in his teeth, before he realizes he can't shake your hand. "Oh whoops, sorry 'bout that, still new ta bein' a ghost an' all. So you one o' dem priests o' Morr? That'd be real helpful right 'bout now, I don't think I like being a ghost much."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Elise Sterne

Other than watching the tense interplay between Margot and Vivandrel over the top of her beer Elise has little further to offer in terms of ideas. She stands up reluctantly, still finding ways to hide small fruits and parcels of nuts about her person as she speaks.

"Gildemeister, I'd still like to talk to those peasants. They might be more willing to speak plainly to ordinary folk than a lord. Could you have them come by the stables? We can talk to them while we saddle the horses."

She pauses to swig down the last of the beer.

"Also we will need a couple more horses, or a cart. Otherwise Sir Guy will be slowed down too much by us footsloggers, and I figure time is of the essence."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Donrod Brightgrip, Runesmith


As he finishes chiseling his name along the sill of the forge, Donrod replies to the man. "I did not ask you for pay, manling, but it is good that you think of repayment. To settle our accounts, any Dwarf who presents the name of Brightgrip shall be permitted to work this forge as they wish, or any who accompany them. Stroking his beard, he adds. "Besides, the Book is not for petty debts. Only fools put those in. For your forethought, I will give you a gift." Donrod picks up his chisel again, and spends the next few hours striking a Rune into the top of the forge's arch, and it thrums with tamed power. "This forge will stand the test of years. Good practice."

smithy improvement: 1d100 11 That pretty much rockstars the Smith test, which is vs 82. I guess this forge can give +10 on tests or whatever you think fits.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?




Roland Mohr

The wizard is obviously taken aback by the spirit's friendliness, and after a moment Roland chuckles, smiling warmly and reaching out to clasp where Odo's hand would be. "No, I understand, my friend. It is a difficult transition for many, but I find it peculiar you are taking it so well." He folds his arms across his chest, running a finger over a small tin skull on his robes. "I can help you pass on, friend, but the rites are different from those of a Morrian priest; I am a devotee to the God of Death and Dreams, but my powers do not come from him. They are arcane in nature, rather than divine."

Roland studies the man for a moment, tapping the skull. "May I ask how you came to be in this state, Odo? Or would you prefer to not relive whatever your end may have been?" Roland looks genuinely concerned as he speaks, watching the ghost with interest and caution. "My companions and I are here in search of our former employer, and I am certain they are embroiling themselves in some other task to gain the favor of whoever runs this town, and I would hope you would shed some light on things."

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Help I can't get up I'm Gay


Attickus

A kidnapping? Cannibals? How dreadful. Blood and guts are extremely unglamourous unless you're butchering some cage-free-grass-fed-pasture-raised animals, and then making some very ecologically sensitive and more importantly, extremely attractive food with them. On the other hand, saving a child from cannibals would make for a good story for his journal that he will totally sell for lots of money.

Lost in these very important thoughts, Attickus stays near the back absentmindedly petting dear Bearickus. Also, why does everyone think hes kislevarian?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008


Gildemeister Tibolino's Palace

At Elise's request for horses, Tibolino furrows his brow. "I can get you a cart easily enough, but horses are somewhat of a rarity in these parts, so I have none that I can spare. If the Greenskins or another Prince were to attack, I'd need those horses to send word out for the army to gather as fast as possible. As for the peasants, I will send for them to answer your questions. Perhaps there is something they can reveal further, but I fear they saw little before they ran away."

He motions to one of the servants still picking up splinters of the smashed table, and the man bows before hurrying out of the room. A short time later, a trio of disheveled farmers enter the throne room, clearly still shaken from what they've seen and exhausted from their journey. Tibolino asks them to tell you everything, and one of the farmers steps forward "We was comin' back home after visitin' the market, and since the path don't take a straight line to our village, we thought 'why not take a shortcut?' So we went through the tall grass, and then halfway through it felt like I'd stepped in some mud, only slipperier. I looked down, and it was...it was just horrifying, you know? Worse part was I actually recognized the poor man, he'd passed by us when we still on our way to the market. And now here he was, just bits of him left lyin' around. And then we saw there was a small pile of bits just ahead. We immediately turned 'round and ran back towards the town, and I don't think we're going back until we know for sure the path is safe again."


___________________
Drunken Goat Inn

Odo makes a face, "Wizard? I was always told by my folks ta never trust a wizard. Then again, you seem nice enough, and it's not like ya can make things worse for me, right?" As Roland asks about his fate, the ghost floats about the room lost in thought before turning back to the wizard. "Ya know, I ain't really sure. I was gettin' old, sure, but the doc said I still had a few more years left in me. I think I remember some sort of sound when I was about ta go ta sleep, but then my memory gets hazy up until suddenly I'm a ghost. Can't find me body neither, no matter how hard I look. But it's like I can feel it's nearby, and it's getting real irritating that I can't find it. But, if you can help me move on, then that probably doesn't matter, right?"


___________________
Local Smithy

Realizing just how much of an honor it is to receive a rune for his modest forge, the smith readily agrees to Donrod's terms, thanking him profusely as he eagerly gets back to work. Even with the new forge, his own skill still has a ways to go, but at least he seems motivated now. This whole affair has taken a while, but there might be time to catch the end of the meeting with the local lord, or Donrod could retire for the day and head to the inn that was mentioned earlier.


A +10 bonus to smithing tests works for me.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010
I liked it--it was witty enough and a lot more impressive than I was expecting for a girl's toy cartoon. So I thought, "Hmm. I'm on Something Awful. I don't see a thread for this anywhere, but other people might like it--it's not like it would be the first cartoon for kids that SA's taken a shine to." So I made a real earnest thread and put it up in TV/IV. And I was both right and wrong, because the forum blew up and fell over, and the thread got raided to shit by FYAD, and in like I think two weeks the show was banned outright because people kept causing fucking drama.


Mariano Manzanedo

Mariano furrows his brow at the accounts. Well. A piling definitely suggests not animals. "Thank you, gentlemen. I have no further questions, though my friends might." He shakes his head, before turning to the group. "Well, I am satisfied. If all that can be had is a cart then a cart it shall be, no? Should we set out... hmm, first tomorrow, so as to give our party time to recover from the journey?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Guy

"I believe we have enough horses that one can pull the cart." Not his second warhorse, that'd be wrong, but someone can ride that while another, lesser horse, pulls the cart. Guy looks over the peasants thoughtfully. "That would make it some time between the opening and closing of the market when the man died...hm. Well, clearly something we'll have to hunt out. Such a thing can't be allowed to live. Leaving morning tomorrow strikes me as a good idea, yes. Margot, see that the cart is made ready with our supplies for the morning. For now, let us retire to the inn and regroup. Perhaps Mohr or Donrod will have ideas. And..."

He pauses, looking at Bearickus, then sighs.

"...perhaps the bear can help us track."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?




Roland Mohr

"Do you remember where you were before you fell asleep, or whom you might have been with?" Roland tugs at the sleeves of his jacket as he thinks, his eyes cast to the ground. "My spell will allow you to part from this material plane, certainly, but it's not so much an allowance as forcibly being removed from the material plane to the gates of Morr." He glances back up at Odo, his brow furrowed.

"If I can find your body or find someone who knows of how and where you passed, I can perform the correct rites to allow you to pass through the gates of Morr without any further tribulations. Shyish only works to remove the undead from the world, not grant them peace, and I believe we both would feel much better were you to pass into his realm in peace."

He pauses for a moment, lost in thought. "Do you recall anyone who would know more of you, Odo? And do you have a surname?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Margot

"As you will, my lord," Margot says. And she departs with the requisite formality merited a border lord's court and a heap of peasants, which is still some.

Margot makes the cart ready as per instructed, not sure if you want anything from me beyond that, either in terms of rolling or description.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

Coming from the deeps of the Frankenwald to haunt you

Vivandrel

A question pops into Lorandara's mind as Guy is already saying his goodbyes. She asks the peasants: "Do you remember where you left the path to take that shortcut? Something like 'a hundred foot after the big elm tree' or 'right where that big ol' rock is on the right-hand side of the path'? Would really help us finding the... whatever one calls what you saw. Which is sort of important to find out what happened."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010


Royalty is a continuous cutting motion


Donrod Brightgrip, Runesmith


Now that the hearth is glowing, and he still has some daylight, Donrod can finally get to work. "Pay attention manling, you might learn something. The temper on this piece of junk is all wrong. It'll crack if I try to lay power 'pon it. After showing the smith his cheap axe, Donrod gets to work at least bringing it into a finer hardness and temper, with a little straightening along the way. It's no masterwork, but it's strong enough for some of his metallic paints if not permanent work. It's not as if he has time for the fullness of the Craft, anyhow.

forging new axe vs like a million: 1d100 8 getting my axe up to GC, so I can put temporary runes on it

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd





Elise Sterne

As the peasants um and ah Elise sighs. Waiting until the Gildemeister is looking the other way she sidles up to them, offers a purloined delicacy and asks:

"Are you sure there's nothing else you can tell me about what might be out there? Or why you might have been 'taking a shortcut'? Goes no further than me, I promise."

Gossip (the peasants) TN 44: 1d100 39

suspect they were avoiding paying customs duties

Astus
Nov 11, 2008


Gildemeister Tibolino's Palace

As Tibolino instructs his servants to ready the cart for tomorrow, Elise and Vivandrel are able to question the farmers on their own. At first uneasy, they start to open up after being bribed with food and Elise's assurances that she won't tell the Gildemeister. "There's a small grove of trees a bit past halfway or so on the way to our village. We don't get to see trees very often this far from the swamp, so we wanted to see 'em up close for once. Only, we weren't supposed to ever go near there, you see. Our elder kept warning our village that the grove was cursed, and that we should all stay away from there. Please don't tell our lord this, he don't believe in curses or anything like that, and we're afraid he might think our elder already knew there were cannibals or some such and never sent word to him."

_______________________
Drunken Goat Inn

Odo takes a long moment to think again. "Well, I don't much like ta idea of bein' 'removed' by magic, ta be honest, so I guess I can wait a bit longer. Don't have a surname, just Odo. I was a servant for Johan, who was the son of one of the council members. Bright lad, but a bit brash, and a bit drunk most of ta time. Don't know where he is right now, however. Probably doesn't know I'm dead yet." The ghost pauses for a moment, "...Does anyone know I'm dead? I don't think I like this feelin'. I'm gonna go look for my body again, and try ta remember more of what happened. If you see master Johan, he might be able ta help. If he remembers me, anyway..." Before Roland can say anything else, Odo disappears through the wall.

_______________________
The Next Morning

After meeting up at the inn later that night and filling in Donrod (with his new and improved axe) and Roland (and Roland deciding whether he should mention the inn was currently haunted), you all get your first night's sleep on actual beds in quite some time. In the morning, the cart promised by Tibolino arrives, and with some last-minute preparations you all leave the safety of the town's walls and head to the southwest. The path to the village twists and turns along with the hills, but at least there are no potholes, so the trip is as smooth as a ride in a cart with no suspension can be.

Following the farmers' directions, you leave the path once the hills flatten out, and soon approach a sea of tall, dry grass. A small grove of trees can be seen in the distance, but taking the cart when you can't see the ground or any stray rocks hidden in the grass could be a bad idea. As the cart stops, the stillness in the air becomes noticeable, and there is a strange silence around you. There's no animals around, or even a breeze, just perfectly still grass and the trees in the distance. If the kidnappers are here, they certainly picked a good hiding spot.


_____________
If anyone has any shopping they wanted to do, you can assume you bought it last night or right before you left. You probably don't need the cart going forward, but if you do want to bring it into the grass without worrying about breaking a wheel, then you can make a routine (+10) test, using whichever skill you think will help to avoid rocks and other hazards hidden in the grass. Regardless if you all decide to just march straight in or approach more cautiously (or have some other plan), I'll need an average (no modifier) perception check from whoever wants to keep a look-out.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd





"Cursed grove, huh? Don't worry, Tibolino won't hear about it. Thanks for the warning."

Elise pats the speaker on his shoulder and wanders away, munching fruit. Her sleep is untroubled by ghosts or whatever.

When morning finds her driving the cart she is well rested and fit for action. The ground is a little rough, but once you've helped move a munitions wagon at the back of a column of troops marching down an ill maintained road in a wet season, a few rocks and tussocks of grass are no great obstacle.

Routine Drive TN 51: 1d100 31

As the party pauses to observe the scenery she almost subconsciously starts to check her available weapons are ready to go. The only real cover for miles around is over there, and a fool could smell the potential for an ambush. She narrows her eyes against the sun, but can't make out any movement in the shade.. Still...best to be safe.

Perception TN 30: 1d100 81

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Margot

Margot is up just before the dawn, checking and rechecking everything she can get her hands on.

The late night and early rise is enough to fuzz her senses. Though she attempts to keep a lookout as she rides along behind Guy, she can't help but stifle a yawn every so often.

Perception is just outside what I needed at 62.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«3 »