Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, wish they had early access on PS4

oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
It's insane you already have an IF player before the game is even released

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The game is available to play with ea access. 1.5k per match, beginner sbcs, and start up gifts = 20k in about an hour. I packed and sold salah for 15k out of an SBC too so I'm probably going to upgrade the Argentine side substantially as well. Player prices are always dirt cheap at this point in the game because people are desperate to get their hands on coins. THe other big thing I think is that people take a long time to get bots up to ruin to market so it's just humans right now. I've seen Pique go for 5-10k on open bids.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Siiiiuuu.

Qualified, now only 14 days to go. Fifa 18 gameplay is hard to put my finger on at this point. It's much less defensively focused than previous edtions. That being said defense has not been as nerfed as advertised. Maybe it's because I've always played really good defense but I'm not having much trouble locking people down and some people I met in the KO tournament were good as well. The main difference to me is that defenders feel clunky and can get turned much easier, recovering from a missed tackle is more punishing too (also small weak attackers have a much harder time winning the ball back on the other side of the coin). Dribbling is good but I'm having to forget everything I've learned last year. LT RT has a place but should only be used for small moments not entire hovering routines. The close control (RT iirc) is more important. The fake shot and Cruyff turn are beast. The berba spin is kinda poo poo because it takes a long time to do anything after completing the spin. Ball roll cut back and scoop turn are both good. Shooting seems too easy. Near post, far post all goes in pretty easy, there doesn't seem to be an OP shot or angle yet but it's more that keepers kinda suck. Corners are too op. holding down cross and mashing shoot will get you a goal one out of five times now. It's like they can't balance crossing during the run of play with crossing from corners which is unfortunate. Shielding is nerfed but still useful you just have to know you can only hold it for so long (length seems to correlate with strength). The two biggest things that have helped me compared to my fifa 17 instincts are slowing down and passing around a bunch. Interceptions aren't crap but smart passing play is good, passing seems more important this year as an attribute.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm excited for tuesday.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
yeah same, wish they'd do an early thing for PS4 sometime

i'm wild jelly

harder defense and better passing and emphasis on passing and possession sounds perfect for me

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
All the reviews talking about scoring being up is exactly what I experienced in the pro clubs beta. Gonna be a lot of hilarious bad shots that go in this year

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

This is all I can come up with without playing the game :)
Just daily login packs and the SBC tutorial thing.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
i already have these two:

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 22, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Also just a sidenote. I'm trying not to bitch at EA because it looks like they've listened to the players regarding gameplay and the webapp launch has been smooth and is super streamlined but I'm kinda bummed out by the fact that silvers and bronzes are pretty much not a thing anymore. In the totw low silvers got huge boosts into low golds, sorloth went from 69 to 77 for example. It basically means high end silver IFs are not a thing anymore and bronze ifs won't exist at all. I held onto playing with silver teams last year and really enjoyed the few times they were relevant in tournaments. I was hoping they would put an emphasis back on silvers and bronzes this year with tournaments or even seasons but I guess I can scuttle that notion now. I'm still gonna make my yearly silver belgian pro league team and take it to WL to get stomped though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NattyBo posted:

All the reviews talking about scoring being up is exactly what I experienced in the pro clubs beta. Gonna be a lot of hilarious bad shots that go in this year

as a scrub who still completely whiffs like 1/3 of the shots I take hell I'm glad

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

If you have the web app some of these SBCs are ridiculously good and cheap. I did the hyrbid leagues SBCS and packed aurier, smalling, ederson, and morata. Te whole thing probably cost ~10k and morata alone sold for 20k. There are tons of rares and non rares I packed as well that will sell for a bit. Do it now while necessary players arent costly (argentines, brazilians in foreign leagues).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey man if I had more than 1250 coins I sure would lol

and I refuse to spend money on points mainly because I want the feeling of progression and actually earning my team

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I've done a ton of the SBCs and my most valuable packed player went for 3k :/

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
In 17 it seemed like everyone (at least in the terrible levels I was in) played super high pressure constantly chased my players with fast infinite stamina midfielders. Is this likely to happen again / have they done anything to tone it down?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

foolish_fool posted:

In 17 it seemed like everyone (at least in the terrible levels I was in) played super high pressure constantly chased my players with fast infinite stamina midfielders. Is this likely to happen again / have they done anything to tone it down?

from the demo it seems that defenders have a harder time changing direction, which will give you more time to break than you'd imagine

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Hey man if I had more than 1250 coins I sure would lol

and I refuse to spend money on points mainly because I want the feeling of progression and actually earning my team

Yea, rule number one is never spend money past the game price on fifa. I've been playing games with the coin boost and packed a lot of good stuff so it's easy to do these SBCs right now while stuff is cheap. I've only played about three hours. I figured some of you guys could do the SBCs with the log in rewards and initial packs. They are very cheap to do right now and paying out.

I just opened packs from the next SBC group.. vardy, renato sanches, firmino.... last pack,
https://streamable.com/nfadh
lolllll. The cheesy music when you pack an IF owns.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah maybe if I had gotten coins but I only got packs with garbage players and cazorla

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah maybe if I had gotten coins but I only got packs with garbage players and cazorla

Sell all those golds and cazorla and you'll probably have enough to do a few sbc groups.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Meh yeah maybe I should try that when I get home

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I remember why I hadn't done anything on the web app:

Every time I try to load it I just get a black screen

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I alternate between getting a black screen and getting this

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>292AEDE8732C55B4</RequestId>
<HostId>
jsDrBvCVHxQmM0jlD2Fy0J6fYOitFVO/ZzLHg5tUi3/o2SdbxZzMhPVJMI94LTK5W1N7nPBpUU4=
</HostId>
</Error>

Getting that in both Chrome and Firefox

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 23, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh sorry to multipost but I'd also sell my consumables but as far as I can tell there is literally no functionality to buy or sell consumables in the mobile app?

edit: Okay I can sell them just not buy

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 23, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Here's my starter squad, front 3 were relatively expensive (2k, 2k, 4k coins) but other than that its all budget poo poo and the pack pulled Howedes

https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/?showoffId=ddtdsdranMLga:FFA18PS4

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Did the Kick Off SBCs, got THE OX who I'm trying to sell for like 3500, that'll get me back up to 5k, I dunno if that's enough to do any of the other SBCs at a profit

Probably not until I get some players normally

Maybe some of the 5 player ones

Oh and I forgot the Cazorla is untradeable so he's just gonna be on my squad for awhile

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 23, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

e- nvm

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

snagged De Bruyne from an SBC :henget:

Are PS4 prices gonna increase or decrease with actual release?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Jonathan Fisk posted:

snagged De Bruyne from an SBC :henget:

Are PS4 prices gonna increase or decrease with actual release?

uhhh big players like de bruyne will probably go up (unless he's like a million coins or something right now) because most people dont have money to buy big name players yet.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That makes sense, just wanted to be sure I wasn't being an idiot by waiting.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sold all my cards and ended up actually with 20k, I guess some dudes were worth more than I thought

I guess try to keep doing SBCs on the cheap?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I decided to ditch the Bronze squad strategy. I built 2 low end gold Bundesliga & MLS squads to rotate and play with once the game is out. In the meantime I'm continuing to do what SBCs I can and hoarding coin.

Also the countdown on PS4 says 2 days 5 hours, which is.. Midnight for release date. loving a I'm hyped already :getin:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hopterque posted:

uhhh big players like de bruyne will probably go up (unless he's like a million coins or something right now) because most people dont have money to buy big name players yet.
Yeah prices will go up on PS4 for sure. That happened last year after web app access was out for a few days and then when the game got released. I was lucky to snag a few players well under their post-release price.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I finally got web app to work sometimes and a lot of card backgrounds are translucent so you can't actually read the text at all

the gently caress

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I think I'm going to take my funds and put half of them into speculating anyone want to join in (and fail)? OTW cards are to be released on the 29th and the hype + being out of packs will shoot up the nifs. I'm going to pick 4 players I think are locks for a OTW and get a few. I can't wait to make my first big bust of fifa 18.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sure, I'm on PS4 but you always seem to be good at investing in this so I'd always appreciate tips

The best I ever did at trading was when I turned like 100k into 3 mil in about a month in FIFA 15 (or was it 16?) but a lot of those methods that I used don't work anymore, like buy a 83 IF player and list it just below the price of his 85 rated IF and hope people buy the wrong one by accident

Or like find a silver IF who only has 10 cards, and the prices are like

Buy the 24k one, relist it for 29k

That kinda poo poo doesn't seem to work much anymore either because there's no demand for those cards

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I wish FIFA wasn't utterly dominated by Pokemon cards and market-based solutions to winning matches

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's not really, the best players have videos of them dominating with bronze teams

It's just fun to try to put a good team together

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

So I've been SBC'ing all day. Using the funds earned from each one to complete the next. Etc etc. I kept hoping to hit pay dirt on some IF or something. But after each series the packs I'd just end up above even.

In the end, after opening up all these mega packs from SBC rewards, my best pull was LWB Marcos Alonso :flaccid:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
I'm attempting the basic league/nation SBC's now by selling everything I have except for the two low-end gold squads I built (Calcio A and BPL) and player contracts. Tempted to hang onto some injury and fitness consumables too but that's probably bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
36.000 FIFA Points for 240 packs wasted, enjoy this desaster of 82, 83 and 84 players pulled twice. And as every year, I knew what was happening and what I was doing, buying FIFA points is a great way of investing in Consumables and selling Contracts for 500-900 Coins each in the first days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe51oHXfbYk

• Locked thread