Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 18 - Mt. Lavalava

And now Chapter 5 is done. I never was fond of this chapter. The search for the Yoshi children was always a pain to me, and as I said before, Sushie's usefulness kind of wanes after this chapter is done, aside from the required swimming parts of the game. Kolorado was a nice source of comedy, at least, and as I also mentioned, I liked Raphael the Raven. The boss fight was nothing spectacular, and is so easily crippled by Ultra Sushie I almost feel like I'm cheating by using her. Still, not bad, at least. The next chapter is still my least favorite in the game though. What about you guys? What chapter is the worst for you?

Also, Mario beats up kids AND murders babies? What a monster...

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 19 - Interlude IV

I feel like I accomplished a decent amount of side-content here. If I recall right, The Master's two other forms are the only optional bosses left. His first form is really nothing special aside from the high HP. Though it could just be that I waited so long to fight him that explains how easy he was for me. Kent C. Koopa...I almost feel like I cheated, having him put to sleep like that. At least in that case it's semi-reliant on luck, and from what I gather is the best strategy against him. And next time, I start on my least-favorite chapter in the game. Joy.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
About that female Toad talking about Flower Fields: She IS standing right next to a Bul-ulb, so maybe it told her about the problems there?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CptWedgie posted:

About that female Toad talking about Flower Fields: She IS standing right next to a Bul-ulb, so maybe it told her about the problems there?
I mean yeah, maybe. I'll talk to it and see if it mentions anything like that. I was basically just hamming it up as a joke. I swear she's hiding something, though.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 20 - Flower Fields

Looks like CptWedgie was correct. That Toad girl is still suspicious, I say. I gotta say, I can at least appreciate Flower Fields for the Amazy Dayzees, which I gush about quite a bit in the video. I'm a stickler for using tactics to break a game over my knee, and it's all the more better when using a regular game mechanic rather than a glitch or cheat device. But yeah, Flower Fields is pretty boring. The entire video is essentially doing favors for a bunch of flowers. I admit I find Rosie's bitchy nature to be hilarious, though.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Regarding Amayzee Dayzee farming: No judging whatsoever. Actually getting max level WITHOUT farming them is really difficult, simply due to the star point drop-off from all the enemies at higher levels.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 21 - Huff N. Puff

And now Flower Fields is done, and I got my newest partner. Riding around using him is kind of nice, though I don't know if it's faster than my usual method. It's certainly less annoying to do and listen to, at least. In battle he's...okay. Only has two attacks that actually deal damage, and one attack that just blows all the enemies away, if you're lucky. Kind of like Parakarry's ability, but with multiple enemies instead. Huff N. Puff himself isn't too bad, as long as you use an attack that can hit all enemies, you can get rid of the smaller clouds and stop him from healing too much, and Smooch can come in handy if you don't have as much health as I do here. Getting close to the endgame now, only one Star Spirit left to go, and then I can take down Bowser.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 22 - Interlude V

Mainly just Peach stuff and some side things from Mario's side. The Master wasn't too bad, the Zap Tap Badge is really great against him since it prevents those annoying two-part attacks. And I'm fairly certain his final form has a THREE-PART attack, so the Zap Tap Badge there is imperative. I kind of remember Peach's last few segments being longer than this. I swore she did some more exploring around and put on more disguises, but I guess my memory is just fuzzy. Either way, we're closing in on the end, with one last Star Spirit remaining. This next chapter is decent, to me. Just kind of middle the road in my opinion. Not too good, but not bad either.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 23 - Shiver City

I'm thankful that there's no slippery, icy bullshit in this game's ice-themed level. It really wouldn't work for a game like this anyway, but those kinds of levels are always the loving worst. Even with that, I feel like this chapter kind of blows it's load a bit too early. This penguin murder mystery is easily the best part of the entire chapter, and it's basically the first thing we do, and then it's over in about ten minutes. The "Monstar" thing was kind of amusing, but aside from two short moments in the Crystal Palace, nothing much of interest really happens for the rest of the chapter, I feel.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 24 - The Crystal Palace

And now all the Star Spirits are freed, and after a few side things, we can move on to Bowser. I enjoyed the mirror aspect of this dungeon, and the Duplighost sections, but that's really all I can say. This place felt too short and not really...last non-final chapter-y, if you know what I mean. It felt just like any other chapter, and didn't have a sense of major impact to it, which I feel is odd considering this is where the last Star Spirit is released. I feel like Crystal King's instant, massive healing is cheap as poo poo, but otherwise he's not too difficult, especially with a max-level Mario.

And I guess I should mention there are now only three videos left, and I have the gameplay recorded and the videos edited and ready for commentary. The finale is a major doozy at about an hour long, even after trimming the fat.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 25 - Interlude VI

There really isn't much to say here. This is essentially just me finishing the chain mail sidequest with Parakarry and getting the Lucky Day Badge. The badge itself is pretty good, allowing enemies to sometimes miss Mario at any time, regardless of his health. I could have sworn Peach got a second little adventure where she disguised herself, but I guess not. Either way, next time I deliver the last few straggling letters, defeat The Master, and finally go to confront Bowser.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 26 - Into Bowser's Castle

Parakarry's poo poo is finally done, thank God. As for The Master, he wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be, but I gotta give all that credit to the Zap Tap Badge. Without that his combo attacks would've been a huge pain to deal with. Goombario's charging was also broken to Hell and back. Looks like people were right, he's way better than the other partners in battle. As for Bowser's Castle, not too much to say yet, as I'm only getting started. I will say I like the Guard Door, and the other two that'll be appearing later, they're pretty funny.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 27 - Bowser

And here we have the finale. Replaying this game was a lot of fun. Even the chapters I didn't like as much, like Flower Fields, were still nice. I couldn't help but compare the game to The Thousand Year Door, mainly because I played that first. And I know that isn't fair, though I kept kind of wishing I was playing the sequel instead sometimes. Either way, this was the first time I abused the Amazy Dayzees, and it really made a Hell of a difference for the last two chapters. It felt like it just made things way too easy, which I guess was good for the sake of the playthrough. I give any more direct thoughts in the video itself, so I don't want to be redundant. Either way, so glad I got to revisit this game again, I forgot how good it was after having not played it for so long.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
For reference: A halberd is a spear that is also an axe. Or an axe with a spear's handle, whatever. You get the point.

To be fair to Door #2: Bowser's minions have a terrible track record; they'd probably lose anyway. I think Bowser's minions are just trying to make excuses to not fight Mario without disobeying their orders to try to stop him.

Twink vs. Kammy: Behold the power of CUTSCENE! Because really, that's what it boils down to, right?

Yeah, while the Star Spirits were gone someone else stole the Star Rod... and HIS NAME WAS LUIGI! C'mon, what did you THINK he wanted to do that would require Mario to not be there?

...I didn't know Toads came in "bioluminescent."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CptWedgie posted:

For reference: A halberd is a spear that is also an axe. Or an axe with a spear's handle, whatever. You get the point.

To be fair to Door #2: Bowser's minions have a terrible track record; they'd probably lose anyway. I think Bowser's minions are just trying to make excuses to not fight Mario without disobeying their orders to try to stop him.

...I didn't know Toads came in "bioluminescent."
Oops. Yeah, don't know my weapons very well.

And I suppose that's true with Door #2. I just thought it was funny there like, fifty minions lying in wait that decide to play a game instead of fight.

And I remember thinking that with the Toads too, but forgot to say anything.

• Locked thread