Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I actually get a little pissed at fortune cookies that just make an observation about me, personally, rather than predicting the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Back when I was in middle school I'd flip over every test we were given and draw a good luck charm in the corner. It was a smiling guy I called Lucky Bob, drawn so the back of the staple holding the paper together was his eyes.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Back in the 56k days, I somehow came to believe that if I left the mouse cursor over this one particular part of the screen, Netscape Navigator would load pages much faster. This, of course, did not work.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Pastry of the Year posted:

I actually get a little pissed at fortune cookies that just make an observation about me, personally, rather than predicting the future.

I got take-out last night and it came with two cookies and both of them were the passive-aggressive judgmental kind.

"here's your fortune: stop being an rear end in a top hat"

Well gently caress you too, cookie!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Hello I am a neurotic mess.

Don't look at mirrors at night.

Prime numbers or at least multiples of 3 are good numbers, every other number is a bad number.

Always say "I love you" to someone when I leave to go somewhere, or when they leave. Otherwise they might get hurt or I might be hurt because I didn't appreciate them enough when they were around.

Always stir tea clockwise, it stirs luck in. Stirring it widdershins is asking for trouble.

If the tea goes cold, then you have to pour it out because the faeries have taken it and drinking it will make them mad.

If a door is closed- even a closet door- tap on it three times before opening it. It banishes bad things on the other side.

Cats- any cat- is good luck and will protect you from bad supernatural bullshit. Tell them you appreciate them often and scritch them if they want.

Don't say wishes out loud, or the opposite will happen. This only works if the opposite of the wish would bring a bad thing around.

If you can't find an object, set out a cookie or a cup of tea for the faeries. It'll turn up after they're done.

If you get that spooky "someone is behind you" feeling, close your eyes and turn around. Only open them once you've turned around.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Are you from Ireland and/or the UK?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I press the AC button on my calculator twice before beginning a new calculation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

Don't look at mirrors at night.

Have you ever thought if you're at an unfamiliar house and it's night and you look anywhere at all that there might be a mirror there you're looking at but you can't see it because it is night you see?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I take my laptop to work and without fail I always zip the bag up after taking my laptop and charger out. Why do I do this. I just get annoyed when I have to unzip it later. I also have to set and reset my alarms at least five times each before I go to bed, and also I have two alarms. Also if you have something on a thing and it's made an area that's cut off from the rest, like if you made a triangle out of pencils on a desk, I need to move something to make it continuous again. So like with the pencils I'd have to break the triangle.

On reading these they're not so much superstitious and more irrational...

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

My dad refuses to allow seashells or bird- or butterfly-based decorations in his house. I don't know the exact origins of this superstition other than his mother taught it to him and it has to do with not trying to cage the natural world. Trying to send an Easter card to my grandmother was a pain because the card COULD NOT have birds or butterflies on it. Even now that she's gone I automatically rule out any cards like that.

e: once my mom's parents went on a beach vacation and her mom brought back a shoebox full of beautiful seashells she'd found. My dad wouldn't even allow the box inside the house.

coronatae has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Sep 15, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

coronatae posted:

My dad refuses to allow seashells or bird- or butterfly-based decorations in his house. I don't know the exact origins of this superstition other than his mother taught it to him and it has to do with not trying to cage the natural world. Trying to send an Easter card to my grandmother was a pain because the card COULD NOT have birds or butterflies on it. Even now that she's gone I automatically rule out any cards like that.

e: once my mom's parents went on a beach vacation and her mom brought back a shoebox full of beautiful seashells she'd found. My dad wouldn't even allow the box inside the house.

I think your dad and grandma might just be joyless assholes.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Are you from Ireland and/or the UK?

Nope. Just grew up on a ton of faerie tales.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Pyrotoad posted:

I take my laptop to work and without fail I always zip the bag up after taking my laptop and charger out. Why do I do this. I just get annoyed when I have to unzip it later.
I do this because the building I used to work in had cockroaches that would climb into open bags, and I never got out of the habit. :v:

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
I fully acknowledge that all these are ridiculous:

I work in security and if someone says anything along the lines of "have a quiet shift", "it's been a quiet day today" etc., poo poo is going to hit the fan soon. Most people who've been around those types of industries (security, law enforcement, EMT, etc.) have a similar kind of belief so you can spot the new people because they still say poo poo like that. Someone commented on how quiet it was yesterday, within ten minutes I was doing CPR on someone.

I only shine my boots once my work week is done. If I shine my boots before work, SOMETHING will happen to ruin that shine. Whether it's bad weather or whatever, something bad will happen.

During college football season, I won't touch items that are the color of a) whatever team my college is playing that week or b) the colors of our main rival. I will never, at any point in the year, handle anything with our main rival's logo on it - I'll put on gloves first if need be. (I've always got latex gloves on me anyway.)

I flip coins for fairly major decisions. I've got a Brazilian real coin that stays in the money clip on my wallet because it's made, I guess, of some ferrous metal because it stays on the magnet. Which is handy.

Not so much a superstition as just a life lesson: I always tell my family or whomever that I love them before parting. Life is short, tell people you love them.

As others have mentioned, I kiss my fingertips and put them on my car ceiling if "running" a yellow light.

I'm sure some other stuff will come to me.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I think your dad and grandma might just be joyless assholes.

These superstitions are pretty common in Colombia (where they're from) so I guess the entire nation is joyless assholes v:v:v

Other fun ones:
-buy brand-new underwear to wear for New Year's Eve. It must be yellow and you have to wear it turned inside out. This brings prosperity somehow

-don't set your purse on the floor or you'll never be able to keep your money. This one is just good sense imo since you don't wan nasty floor poo poo on your purse

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

wyntyr posted:

I fully acknowledge that all these are ridiculous:

I work in security and if someone says anything along the lines of "have a quiet shift", "it's been a quiet day today" etc., poo poo is going to hit the fan soon. Most people who've been around those types of industries (security, law enforcement, EMT, etc.) have a similar kind of belief so you can spot the new people because they still say poo poo like that. Someone commented on how quiet it was yesterday, within ten minutes I was doing CPR on someone.

I'm an EMT, and I don't really believe that "quiet" makes bad poo poo happen, but I've been so conditioned to not say it I cringe when people around me say it. Even when I'm not at work.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I don't ever completely finish a beverage that has an open top, like a regular glass or a soda can. Stuff with replaceable caps are okay. I always leave just a little bit left at the bottom because that's where all the germs are and drinking it will poison me or something.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Solid Cake posted:

I don't ever completely finish a beverage that has an open top, like a regular glass or a soda can. Stuff with replaceable caps are okay. I always leave just a little bit left at the bottom because that's where all the germs are and drinking it will poison me or something.

I always did this when I was younger and I can't explain why. Also if you ever drink something with an open top there is a bee inside of it waiting to sting you in the throat, killing you instantly.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i go to church every week

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The moon pisses me off

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The only reason the sun is so bright is to blind me on my way to and from work.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
My great aunt was very old school and superstitious Japanese and instilled a fear of ghosts, objects that are too old into me from an early age and honestly its a wonder I ever left my room without grabbing a pound of salt to keep all the ghosts away.

I dont sleep with my head facing east because of her, for example and put salt under my mattress for the same reason. My friends thought I was weird, but guess who wasn't ever murdered at midnight by ghosts?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hardcordion posted:

Back when I was in middle school I'd flip over every test we were given and draw a good luck charm in the corner. It was a smiling guy I called Lucky Bob, drawn so the back of the staple holding the paper together was his eyes.

My test good luck charm was a rat named Mr. Wuggles, which I believe may originally be from the Rat Race screensaver module from After Dark, because I was a loser mid-'90's child and I loved that poo poo. Mr. Wuggles got drawn on the tops of my tests from fourth grade through at least middle school.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have no idea where it came from, but when I was a kid I was convinced that if you put pants on before putting on socks, you would ruin your socks or something. I had this opinion well into adulthood and still do it out of force of habit.

And before you ask, you could take your socks off before your pants. That order only applied while getting dressed.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Don Gato posted:

My great aunt was very old school and superstitious Japanese and instilled a fear of ghosts, objects that are too old into me from an early age and honestly its a wonder I ever left my room without grabbing a pound of salt to keep all the ghosts away.

I dont sleep with my head facing east because of her, for example and put salt under my mattress for the same reason. My friends thought I was weird, but guess who wasn't ever murdered at midnight by ghosts?

Don't Japanese houses tend to be pretty poorly made in terms of not built to last many decades or whatever, in favor of tearing down and rebuilding? I'm pretty sure I've heard that before. I wonder if it on some level has to do with not wanting a house to get old and therefore more likely to be haunted.

I don't have many. I'll make a wish at 11:11 if I notice it, but have no expectation that that does anything. And if I say something like "hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow" and someone says "no, don't say that, now it will", I have to reply with something like "that poo poo isn't true, don't be weird at me" because I don't believe the initial statement has any silly superstitious power, but the other person suggesting it does might imbue it with said power, and my rude dismissal removes it (at the same time making me a hypocrite and kinda rude, but you can thank me when it doesn't rain).

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK

Diet Poison posted:

I don't have many. I'll make a wish at 11:11 if I notice it, but have no expectation that that does anything. And if I say something like "hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow" and someone says "no, don't say that, now it will", I have to reply with something like "that poo poo isn't true, don't be weird at me" because I don't believe the initial statement has any silly superstitious power, but the other person suggesting it does might imbue it with said power, and my rude dismissal removes it (at the same time making me a hypocrite and kinda rude, but you can thank me when it doesn't rain).

I'm gonna use this in my real life. Thank you.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Picnic Princess posted:

I often see life as a sin wave, and it varies in amplitude and frequency. Some people have rather boring lives with low measurements and anything bad that happens to them is pretty tame and they have equally relatively tame highlights. But then there's people who just seem to have the most ridiculous poo poo happen all the time. For each unbelievably incredible experience, they will have monumentally bad poo poo happen to balance it out. And it's not all by choice or lifestyle. Kind of like karma, but instead the universe has to maintain the balance of this wave.

It's dumb, I know, but it makes me have hope through some pretty awful stuff I go through frequently while keeping me humble when I've done something crazy cool. Which happens a lot.

I feel the exact same way. Whenever something incredible happens I always get a sinking feeling in the back of my mind of what the massive impending negative is going to be.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Antivehicular posted:

the Rat Race screensaver module from After Dark,

I, too, am a loser then because I loved that poo poo. I can't believe I've actually found someone else who remembers those.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

C-Euro posted:

I have no idea where it came from, but when I was a kid I was convinced that if you put pants on before putting on socks, you would ruin your socks or something. I had this opinion well into adulthood and still do it out of force of habit.
So if you got up and put on pants but not shoes and socks because you weren't planning on going out, but then something came up and you had to put shoes on, would you take your pants off to put your socks on?

Solid Cake posted:

I, too, am a loser then because I loved that poo poo. I can't believe I've actually found someone else who remembers those.
After Dark? Tons of people remember it. It was really popular. You can relive the glory on archive.org.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Don Gato posted:

How much salt, theoretically, would this require? Can it be in a sachet or does it have to be loose? Theoretically.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Riatsala posted:

Well, since you asked...

I do pretty much all the ye olde superstitions of yore stuff that survived to the modern day. I don't open umbrellas indoors, I don't walk under ladders, I'm careful with mirrors, so on and so forth. Most of these are pretty much just common sense adages meant to avoid safety hazards, but I also do the ones that make no sense like throwing salt over my shoulder when I spill it (actually every time I use salt because hey, a few grains are always going to get away) and being extra cautious when black cats cross my path (which rarely comes up).

I also have several superstitions regarding foreshadowing and travel. I used to never travel out of town on Friday the 13th but I broke that one because a really cute girl wanted to go camping with me on a Friday the 13th, and we're still together a year later. But I also swing back and forth as to whether that means I broke the curse or if our relationship is doomed to fail in a terrible, terrible manner.

I don't drive anywhere without my plush goat named Leroy. I never use language like "I'm departing at ____-o-clock" because that's dramatically foreshadowing my own death. Same with "I might hit traffic" (has to be "There may be heavy traffic") or "You'll see me soon" (implies they might see me at the morgue or a funeral, and goes both ways. I have to say "we'll see each other soon"). I preface a lot of sentences with the phrase "if everything goes well" because I believe that it staves off the dramatic foreshadowing associated with making assumptions about anything in the future. I also occasionally fixate on one particular day in the future as the day where I or someone I love will probably die suddenly because it's "narratively appropriate" that it happen for maximum heartbreak. It's difficult to explain the feeling, but it's kind of like my life is a story, but also because I've never experienced the tragic death of someone close to me, so I feel as though I'm due that or that the tragic death is, infact, mine. Right now that day is next Friday, 9/22, because my girlfriend mentioned that the shifting fall temperatures "felt foreboding" or something to that effect. 9/22 is the first day of fall, therefore...

I've had roughly a dozen of these days in the past year.

On an intellectual level I know that none of these superstitions or fears are grounded in reality or logical thinking (save walking under ladders, etc). I can't help it.

I think that you have very interesting eccentricity, I have never heard of someone genuinely feel that the 13th of every month or Friday of every week as a sign of bad omen or to eschew ominous predictions. I am sure they give the rich tapestry of your personality a pleasant texture.

As for me, I cannot think of many superstitious or irrational behaviors I exhibit. I sometimes, irrationally, take account of all the items in my pockets, especially after leaving a place or from my car to make sure I have not forgotten anything. Not just a single check but I mentally inventory the three things I have sometimes five or more times. I also never will curse or challenge some unseen deity, I do not think if I did anything would come of it, but the thought of cursing a powerful being that is worshipped and acknowledged by countless millions just in my mind seems like a reckless endeavor. However, the irrational or maybe just inconsistent part of this superstition (I'm sure there are rational superstitions) is that I would be more comfortable cursing or damning a deity from some forgotten or not widely worshipped deity but I do not mean I would feel comfortable doing this, just I would prefer To curse a forgotten spirit or Great Being than a more widely venerated one.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdxNwByblQE

this thread reminds me of this amazing 80s commercial

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Can confirm that the "quiet" superstition is also present in the veterinary industry. My practice uses "manageable" instead, but I did hear from a colleague that the place she trained in used to wish for all the washing to get done on days that looked less busy to ward off emergencies somehow. :allears:

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
I channel it into posts for the paranormal/conspiracy subforum. Esp after reading an article about HIV and the food industry.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I scribe every exercise rep on the back of old receipts. Some are lines, some are circles, some are another thing. The stack is stored between the pages of my expired passport.

Every post I make is for the glory of Hecate, Discordia, and most of all Glycon.

Magic, like Jesus, is real, because it affects hearts and minds.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Back when I wrote stuff for the SCP Foundation website, I hated SCP-231 on a fundamental/conceptual level (tldr it's the platonic ideal of "doing terrible things to keep the world safe" stuff they like doing) to the point that I hate any instance of the number 231. It most normally comes up in times (12:31, 2:31); I'll make sure that I don't start or finish something on those times.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I always hold my breath when driving past cemeteries. Though, if I'm walking past/through one, I'll say hello to every headstone I pass.
If things are acting unusually/unexpectedly in my apartment, I always tell our apartment ghost to stay safe.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Your avatar is cute, and I see its connection to you. Respect the non-material.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I blow into clean glasses or cups in case there may be bugs stuck in them, no idea why since if there was one. Maybe it's ghost bugs?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trivial Fursuit
Dec 18, 2009
I never put keys on a table, and get kind of miffed if someone I know puts mine on one. This happens somewhat often, since I work in a bar and every so often someone has to borrow my keys to get into the keg room, or something like that.

I thought for the longest time that it was from the north (of Sweden) since the only other person I know who does the same also has parents from the north, but when I spoke about it with my mother (who is the person I learned it from), she told me she learnt it from my paternal grandmother (who was from Uruguay), so I have no idea where the idea comes from.

• Locked thread