Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'll start.

I have a very small living space, so that means that I need to take advantage of storing stuff UP, and on the walls as much as possible. I have exactly 1 drawer in the kitchen. The rest is all cabinets and such.

I'm sorry that I didn't have time to clean properly. My friends just left after a tea party, so the dishes are drying on the stove. Once they're dry, I put them away in the cabinets, and have use of my stove again, so I can cook something. I don't want, nor do I have space for, a drying rack. Because of the size of the apartment, my kitchen is 1/3 the total square footage of my entire space. Relatively speaking, my kitchen is HUGE.

Can you all please post your kitchen too, so that I can live vicariously through your beautiful spaces and dream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Direct link, cuz it's so wide.

Lots of cabinets, although half of those belong to my roommate.

From left to right:

Fridge with microwave on top and knife block on side. Watch to use for timing things. Dish rack, purple cutting board, sugar that I should really be storing somewhere, Trader Joe's 2 buck chuck that I just opened because I wanted to make some mustard, sourdough I baked a couple days ago, wire rack for cooling things, oven with two of my cast iron pans and three of my rags, a water bottle left over from my old roommate and the mustard I'm making, my iPad for looking up recipes, preserved lemons, and my marble board that I use mostly for shaping dough.

Not pictured: recycling can , pantry, mat on the floor for standing on, and picture of Diogenes the Cynic hanging on the wall.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Only have this due to hurricane (MIL said to document every room for insurance purposes) so pardon the mess and any panorama artifacts:

From left to right: toaster, Vitamix, gas stove with a large "Turbo boil" burner (a MUST in any future kitchen of mine), peninsula with hanging cabinets that open both sides, Kitchenaid tilt-head, window box with two shelves (another must - hummingbird feeder outside, top shelf is a grate so it doubles as a drying rack), DIY spice rack / pot lid holder

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I'll...uh...need to clean a lot before I'm showing anyone my lovely rear end cooking space

But maybe it'll get me off my rear end so I'll actually clean it

vermin fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 14, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

From left to right (click for large):

The liquor cabinet and minibar, a common fixture for homes built in the 70’s. Just imagine some guy with a moustache and bell bottoms showing it off proudly.

Turning the corner towards the kitchen

Fruit baskets (empty because I’m lazy this month)

Aprons, silpats, rolling pins, fire extinguisher

The pantry

The next major appliance I probably need to replace

Plastic containers, wrappings, commonly used tools in the top shelves. Foodsaver, Spinzall, George Foreman, mixer, food processor, hidden behind toaster oven on counter. Pots, pyrexes and bakeware below.

The $400 no-frills oven the government puts in when they repossess a condo.

Tools on top left shelf, the “nice” dinnerware on the top right. Utensils in crocks ordered by material, plus crocks for oil and thermometers. Random poo poo sitting on the microwave, rice cooker, knife block from the Hannibal TV series, brushes. Bottom shelves are glass containers and bakeware, steel bowls, lids, sieves/grates.

Metal closet rod I screwed in for pans, knife block in awkward position above sink because there wasn’t a better place to put it. Cheap plastic cutting mat in sink to keep drying dishes from being splashed with water and getting gross looking.

Everyday dinnerware

The trash is positioned so that I can casually throw things at it which feels awesome, but I should find some plastic guard or something to keep the wall from getting gross stains on it I guess. Boxes are all labeled

I got these awesome IKEA billy shelves when they made 14 inch deep ones for a brief period. I’m really sad they don’t make them anymore. I have too much poo poo so it spills out into the dinner area.

The dinner table with trivets because I have TWO friends who told me horror stories about how they put a hot pan on glass tables during thanksgiving and destroyed them

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 15, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I... .uh..... wow..........

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
drat... That's some storage right there.

Mine

Left to right. Kuerig for my wife, stove above which the vinegar barrel is stored. Cutting board, pepper grinders and rice/salt/dry goods storage. Kitchenaid. Sink. Knives. Vinegar station, I have some wine and white wine going in those glass bottles. Fridge. Above fridge is appliance storage. Pantry. The island is all drawers and cabinets on the kitchen side. The paint is white, the morning sunlight is kind of blue through the skylights I guess.

Edit: I didn't realize we were doing bars etc as well.

Keezer and wall mounted Molly Dooker wine area.

Piano bar, wine fridge, wine rack, beer aging in barrels. On the piano bar is the box of moonshine someone, I have no idea who, distilled and aged. Far left up top is the weed box. Top center is the top shelf stuff. Left main section is liqours and fireball, middle is daily drinkers, right is the liquor section for when people want something decent.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 16, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do the inside of your fridge next

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
15 months ago this was the kitchen I had for six something years:

Tiny affff.

I used the dining space adjacent as spillover kitchen:

A great kitchen space was one of the number one priorities when we bought a house last year, will take some time to take pics this weekend, stay tuned to see how much better my life is now!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
gently caress you guys.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Moving in, 5 years ago

Inlaws preparing a feast

Bread for an engagement party

Mess from a Valentine's dinner, clean as you go

I really like our dining room and my wife does a really nice job with table settings but I'm usually pretty wasted by the time we're having dinner on holidays so no pics just bad videos.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Corky Romanovsky posted:

gently caress you guys.

:hf: RIP

Cupboards are full of food and I still shop 2-3 times a week, pots mostly live on the stove for lack of anywhere else to put them. The 15" skillet gets stashed near the garage usually - I just made a pizza in it. Crappy oven that reads 75 degrees lower than the real temp. Rice cooker, coffee gear, food processor and a corner-ful of foils, parchment, cling film, zip lock bags on the right. Stupid goddamn megafridge takes up 1/4 of the kitchen and I can't even use half of it - the freezer side is half ice-maker and one of the two vege bins is actually a meat draw that fucks any veg you put in it so I keep tonic water in there instead. Gross mat on the floor because all the tiles are cracked. Renter life~

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 15, 2017

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ok, I won't just poop in the thread. I really find people's kitchen's fascinating. here's mine, a little cluttered atm but #reallife. I think I accidentally doxxed myself too, gently caress

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Sep 15, 2017

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
:chloe:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is that one of those 50's windows where the wife serves dinner to the dining room without leaving the kitchen where she belongs

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
house built in 1918, so anything is possible. I am somewhat sure based off of weird poo poo in my house, that the door to the kitchen and that strange window were the original back of the house. there are old coal burning fireplaces in every room of the house except the kitchen and master bedroom, so the kitchen/master was probably an addition in the 50's-60s. then the weird stepdown where my beer fridge is was a 90's addition.

tldr, yes

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sick catte

Also, nice range hood. How powerful is it? Could you sear a steak at nuclear-hot temperatures without making your entire house smoky?

Goddamn I need more lighting in my kitchen.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I once looked after a cat that had the same water bowl thing. I'm amazed your cat doesn't knock all the alcohol and so on off those shelves.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i drink my booze too fast to have a bar also i have no space for it

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thats just a shelf of the poo poo liquor people bring to parties and leave behind, kinda the take a bottle leave a bottle of our house.

Hood is loving awesome and I am super proudboi of it. My gal and I hung it ourselves, i had the soffit custom fabbed by a metal shop in town (because nothing else would fit our wonky house). Hood is 1200cfm, with an external blower to keep the noise down. I can light something on fire in the next room, and with it on full blast you can just see the smoke go directly for the hood and straight out the house. Also bonus, we get all the stench of the dead rats in our crawlspace wafting up every time we give it a workout. Which our cats love. A+!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:gonk:

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I love my kitchen. We bought our house a few years ago from someone who recently retired as a head carpenter for a local kitchen and bath design studio and it shows. There are a few weird quirks that if I were designing a kitchen I would not have opted for but having used them for 3 or 4 years, I'd probably add them to a new kitchen if we were to move.

Looking into the kitchen from the dining room. The cabinets in the front serve as a liquor cabinet on the right and electronics/AV on the left of the wine rack.

To the left of the door is our coffee station and trash compactor. #1 and #2 of the 'weird quirks'. The Keurig is a commercial model that's plumbed into our water line so no need to refill. While I almost never use it, except for instant hot chocolate, it's nice knowing I never have to refill it. #2 is the trash compactor. I love this thing and I'm torn on what to do when/if it breaks. Replace it with another one, put in a small beverage fridge, or put the original cabinet door back in. We use it purely for paper products, never food. We can probably go a month or two without replacing it and the brick weighs about 20-30 pounds.

#3 The sink has an insta-hot water tap which I love when making french press coffee (still need to warm it up a bit more but cuts off minutes of time).

Close up of the coffee maker and our coffee grinder.

#4 An interrupted lower counter. This non standard(?) height counter is great for leverage when rolling out dough or doing other leverage oriented kitchen tasks. Great height for chopping as well.

Not a huge fan of the kitchenaid fridge. It suffered the same problem most of them do where water backs up behind the freezer causing it to leak out on to the floor. I've since fixed this but it's a poor design.

#5 Pot filler. loving love it. I also love the stove and would definitely recommend it to anyone but more on that below. The hood actually works great too and exhausts to the exterior instead of running up and through the microwave back into the kitchen.

#6 It's a gas stove, but it's electric? It's both! Gas range and electric oven. But wait, there's more! It's a double oven, an actual double oven. Not an oven with a lower warming drawer but two actual ovens. The lower drawer oven actually gets up and past 450F so baking a casserole down there while something larger is above is not a problem.

#7 The pot filler is great but what I rarely see others have is a sink under the pot filler. It great for quickly rinsing veggies next to the stove or dumping out pasta water. It's also a great idea in case the pot filler faucet begins to leak, it's got somewhere to drain instead of flooding your stove or kitchen.

I also like Le Creuset pots. Like, a lot. Here are two dutch ovens and a sauce pot. In another drawer we have 3 more different size braisers as well. Don't worry though, I have a few regular cast iron pans as well for general use/high temp searing.

I also love their cast iron casserole dishes too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
/thread

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Straight out of 1967, my awful kitchen that I hate and is awful:

Gross fridge with some junk on top plus literally the only work area. Top cabinets mostly house spices, baking stuff, and dishes. Bottom shelves include random poo poo like silpats, mandoline, microplane, silverware, etc.

As I have no dishwasher, nor any room for one, I have to devote roughly 20% of my counter space to a drying rack at basically all times. Luckily, the original built in oven from 1967 shat the bed within 2 months of us moving in, so we do have a new one. I hate electric, but it does the job.

Directly behind where the above image was taken is my new shelves. I can't tell you how much these shelves have improved things. There's almost no storage in the cabinets. This has made staying organized and working more efficient so much easier.

Pots & pans up top, coffee bits in the middle along with blender, spice grinders, mixer & food processor. Some drawers for random poo poo, then bowls, pressure cooker, waffle maker and finally storage for aliums, taters, and one devoted to various MODERNIST chemicals. :science:

The other rack is mostly devoted to a pantry, though I do have a bunch of liquor up top, some cookbooks down below and a few more piece of equipment at the bottom like immersion circulators, test sieves, pasta roller, etc.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Ours is an open floorplan, so the kitchen opens to the living room and front of our house.

Above the cabinets are glass storage for specialized glassware, china, large decorative pots, etc.

The island has a wood top, great for prep work. It also houses the trash/recycling in a cabinet/drawer along with the microwave and storage for small appliances like the toaster, waffle iron, etc.

The big drawers are all heavy sliders and store pots and pans.

Spice rack by the oven.

Range. This and the granite are probably the first reno project (though there's no rush at all). I'd prefer something more white/gray for the granite and I would love one of these for the range replacement. Anything bigger and the cabinets/hood would probably need to be totally redone.

The sink was improperly installed (should be flush with the granite or recessed) but I like the farmhouse apron steel. If the granite gets replaced we would have them fix the sink. Above it is a raised bar area, and in the closet to the left under the stairs is a walk-in pantry, which houses the wine rack, bar, and larger kitchen appliances like the rice cooker, food processor, etc.

Our last kitchen was a dead-ended galley with room enough for a single person and the cabinets were huge but all connected--meaning the mice sneaking into the 100+ year old place would have free rein from food to pots to plates and everything else. We like this one better :)

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 20, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

atothesquiz posted:

#7 The pot filler is great but what I rarely see others have is a sink under the pot filler. It great for quickly rinsing veggies next to the stove or dumping out pasta water. It's also a great idea in case the pot filler faucet begins to leak, it's got somewhere to drain instead of flooding your stove or kitchen.

I'm a huge fan of the pot filler as well, but this mini-sink by the stovetop is just amazing. I love the quirks in your kitchen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nothing has made me regret not studying harder in school than seeing other people's kitchens

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Alright, here we start with the oven, the heart of my little kitchen.

I forgot to balance out the backlighting on this so it looks really moody. Just a little stainless steel prep table.

The countertop where most of my work happens, along with some pantry items.

Fridge and more pantry items.

Dishes and poo poo. Kitchen is still being finished so there's bare wall here.

The bar we built where there used to be a wall between the kitchen and the dining room.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Jesus christ some of you guys have amazing kitchens. I wasn't proud of mine to begin with, now I'm downright humbled.

The whole space. Tiny, cheap, basic are the words that come to mind.

But I admit this marble countertop is pretty useful!

The most basic cupboards ever. These hold plates, spices etc in the leftmost cupboard with the juicer hanging on the handle. Knife magnet with my everyday knives, and some cognacs on top.

Aprons, sieves, spoons etc

Coffee and tea stuff, plus some commonly used spices, salt, olive oil etc.

Pots and pans, stereo, electric grill and containers of olive oil.

I really need to talk to my landlord about renovating this space, poo poo.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Nothing has made me regret not studying harder in school than seeing other people's kitchens

yours is pretty good though?

I kinda had to laugh at all the errrr, storage, but honestly yours is up there so far in the thread re: kitchens I'd actually try to cook in.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm enjoying all these fantasy kitchens. Please appreciate my typical Chinese kitchen, by far the largest kitchen I have ever had.

There's no more off to the side, just a wall. The best feature is those drawers under the stove, which are drying racks. Worst feature other than the near total lack of counter space (though I've gotten used to that, no Asian kitchens have any) is the way the lip of the sink is raised so water gets trapped in the back and around it and there's no real way to clean it. But it's Chinese construction so the whole thing is max speed entropy anyway.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is that carpet?

E: those counter tops break a meter?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's tile. The counter space is about 20 cm wide and maybe 50 deep. I usually have a cutting board balanced over the sink and the right end of the stove to do my prep.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sorry, meant in height.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I like that the hinges in china seem to be made out of black electrical tape

also that I could probably browse the forums on the touchscreen venthood thing you have going on

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Sorry, meant in height.

Oh ha. It's about a meter I'd guess. Long prep is hell on the back.

The tape keeps the freezer from popping open in the middle of the night, it happened once and now I am paranoid. It's constantly stuffed because it's a baby fridge for small babies and I need stock storage, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Grand Fromage would you happen to have pics of your Korean kitchen too

• Locked thread