Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

web blows rear end and I hope to never use anything involving Java script ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Bloody posted:

web blows rear end and I hope to never use anything involving Java script ever again

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

never thought i'd agree with node developers....

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Condiv posted:

source?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Condiv posted:

node is good now

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://medium.com/@bgourlie/nodejs-leadership-is-a-toxic-mess-34e2b8faa003

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

thanks for getting my hopes up only to dash them in a sea of despair :thumbsup:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

node is bad again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
not in the sense that it was once good, but in the sense that it is bad for another, new reason.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Bloody posted:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Shaggar posted:

what commands would I ever run though? ping? traceroute? not very useful for development

how do you run your maven tests? just through the IDE?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Bloody posted:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I've been doing more webdev recently and started using svg

today I looked svg up on caniuse and apparently edge and ie are the only mainstream browsers that don't support it
apparently this is "by design"

:laffo:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Condiv posted:

today I looked svg up on caniuse and apparently edge and ie are the only mainstream browsers that don't support it

nah, it's just "by incompetence"

quote:

Bogdan B. Sep 6, 2017 MICROSOFT EDGE TEAM

Hello, it seem to me that the earlier resolution (By Design) is not correct here. I took a look at the reported site and the root cause of the animations not working is the fact that Edge doesn’t (yet) support CSS transform property on SVG nodes. This is a known gap that we plan to address in one of the coming updates (can’t provide a timeline yet, sorry).

It’s tracked on our status page as https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/status/supportcsstransformsonsvg/ and implementing this would allow us to make this site work (including transform and animation of the elements).

Again, sorry for earlier miscommunication - I’m re-resolving this item as a duplicate to a work item that tracks this work and would encourage you to check status item provided above for the updates. Hope this helps!

don't gently caress with bogdan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjiuD4lzrqs

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Condiv posted:

lol ie is lovely but it does support svg. i guess they don't support animation.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

edge is just rebranded ie with a somehow worse ui. ms should have just exited the web browser game

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

akadajet posted:

edge is just rebranded ie with a somehow worse ui. ms should have just exited the web browser game

it's not even properly rebranded

'we want to rebrand our browser that everyone hates since it's now apparent that most people are able to download chrome by themselves; let's rework the entire ui and ship it without features that everyone uses BUT let's make sure to give it the same first letter and consequently a virtually identical logo to capitalise on the... brand loyalty? of the brand we're trying desperately to escape from???'

maybe they decided to write off the people who switched to chrome to concentrate on the reservoir of people who know the web entirely as 'the e icon on the desktop'. either way it's a rebrand excecuted with the confidence and panache of a dog running away from the smell of his own farts

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

if you're talking about svg animation, otherwise known as SMIL, it's in limbo right now

chrome and opera deprecated it a couple years ago with intent to remove it, but chrome quietly suspended that deprecation last year, so who the gently caress knows what its future is. odds are it's not bright, tho

use regular css animation instead, or move poo poo around with Javascript

the chrome developers suggest using the web animations api instead, but its browser support is even worse than SMIL right now

welcome to the wonderful world of webdev

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

if you're talking about svg animation, otherwise known as SMIL, it's in limbo right now
no this is literally css transforms on svg which every single other modern browser supports but apparently rotating a vector object 90 degrees is beyond the capabilities of the world's largest software company

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beamed posted:

how do you run your maven tests? just through the IDE?

or CI server

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qirex posted:

no this is literally css transforms on svg which every single other modern browser supports but apparently rotating a vector object 90 degrees is beyond the capabilities of the world's largest software company

oh

that happens a lot with edge

their attempt to blame everything wrong with IE on ~legacy code~ and start over with a clean slate isn't working very well, is it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

e: mixed up!

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 13, 2017

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

these people are monsters

https://slack.engineering/growing-pains-migrating-slacks-desktop-app-to-browserview-2759690d9c7b

https://twitter.com/sandofsky/status/925072185361776640

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
just gonna emptyquote this

Poopernickel posted:

Atom: a ton of memory

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Eviscerates
Laptop
Energy
Cells
Through
Running
On
Node

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
that gave me pleasure kevin

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PleasureKevin posted:

Eviscerates
Laptop
Energy
Cells
Through
Running
On
Node

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

Eviscerates
Laptop
Energy
Cells
Through
Running
On
Node

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

dude's getting caught up in arguments with js nerds

js nerds fukkin love to argue on twitter, they can go for days

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
holy poo poo you're not kidding i made the mistake of looking at some of those people's feeds

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PleasureKevin posted:

Eviscerates
Laptop
Energy
Cells
Through
Running
On
Node

There Will Be Penalty posted:

that gave me pleasure kevin

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/iamdevloper/status/926458505355235328

EDIT: only 1.5GB...... lucky

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 4, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

apparently atom is capable of remote code execution just by viewing a malicious plugin's readme in its community packages site:

https://statuscode.ch/2017/11/from-markdown-to-rce-in-atom/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Atom e gunoi

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Condiv posted:

apparently atom is capable of remote code execution just by viewing a malicious plugin's readme in its community packages site:

https://statuscode.ch/2017/11/from-markdown-to-rce-in-atom/

Atom is garbage. Use Visual Studio code instead, it's written by professionals.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

akadajet posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

akadajet posted:

imo, a non webbrowser based ide would be even less vulnerable to xss attacks

especially when parsing documentation :laffo:

• Locked thread