Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mention that the training takes up so much of our time that we've barely had time to learn about anything else and as a result we don't have enough perspective on what we should be working towards with our training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
"As a student in the Viurian education system, I was used to having a lot of guidance and direction from instructors about what was important to study. It's a mindset I've had most of my life, but now I've been trying to shift out of that mindset since it's not the philosophy we use for our Overseer training program. What we use is more like what I expect a graduate student's program would be like, had I gotten that far in the Academy. It's really exciting having so much latitude, and it means a lot to me that you've all been so supportive and eager to help. I'm looking forward to working with, learning from, and having many good discussions and debates with all of you in the future.

"Since being brought into the fold I've been learning how to do the things only we can do, and how Overseer Alyssa makes use of her political acumen to make progress toward goals. Prior to being an Overseer I seldom thought about how I would change things, or of politics at all. But seeing first hand how Alyssa does things helped me bridge that vast, perilous, gulf between being a complete tyro and being able to superficially understand a political landscape and the levers that move a polity. At least a little.

"The politicking part of the job seems every bit as useful as any other tool we can bring to bear to achieve a better end for everyone, if perhaps not so dramatic as other methods. However, for now I'm still largely focused on mastering the gift. I've been learning a lot about the basics and I've been focusing a great deal on the Conceptual Aspect of the gift. It's really interesting, and it seems to me like an excellent way to set up coordination between all the aspects in tools designed to be flexible. Overseer Evelyn gave me a small construct that was very helpful for learning how to apply the Conceptual Aspect so that elements react to the world instead of simply acting according to an internal ruleset.

"I intend to practice more with the other three aspects next, and I think I may put extra focus on the Perceptual Aspect in particular for the next couple of months at least, though by no means do I intend to ignore the other aspects. I have a long way to go. I don't intend to burn myself out on the way, either."

I just want to say that Veruna's a fun character to write speeches for, since she's educated enough to be really verbose and young enough to not be really aware of just how much of a nerd she sounds like when she does that.

Also the first three or four sentences of the speech are just her trying to think of actually relevant things to say, since she was put on the spot.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 9, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

ALogo posted:

Basically, can Veruna 'boost' a field, her own or someone else's, to increase perceptive ability? I have no doubt it would take a lot of getting used to.

What do you mean by "boost", precisely? The most obvious way to do something like this would be to construct some conceptual mechanisms specifically to observe the world in ways a human can't, then take advantage of them via the Perceptual Connection ability discussed earlier. Is this the type of thing you mean?

ALogo
May 9, 2014

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

What do you mean by "boost", precisely? The most obvious way to do something like this would be to construct some conceptual mechanisms specifically to observe the world in ways a human can't, then take advantage of them via the Perceptual Connection ability discussed earlier. Is this the type of thing you mean?

I guess my query basically boiled down to whether the perceptual field is a product of a conceptual mechanism perceiving its external reality, which can incidentally be tampered with, or whether the field has some intrinsic role that perception itself relies on. If the latter, it would seem plausible you could 'turn the dial' up to magnify perception generally, but that doesn't seem to be the case and I'm perfectly content poking around with custom-made conceptual mechanism instruments.

As for a purely Perceptual Aspect ability, what about shifting the focus of what someone perceives? Say someone's 5 senses are spit evenly (unlikely to be true, but for explanations sake) adding up to 100% of the perception they do. Could Veruna come along and tweak their perceptual field so that one type of sense or sensation is emphasized, say smell, and instead of their system devoting 20% of it's resources to processing it, 30% is put towards the job, at the cost of the other 4 senses? Humans do naturally shift focus between their various senses based on what they're experiencing. Basically, can the Perceptual Aspect be used to trick someone into a different emphasis on the information they receive from their senses rather than altering that information per se?

Being able to filter out distractions like background noise seems useful, if risky, to me, and something like this could possibly allow one to approach the kind of detail of perception people train for years to get to, with some tinkering. Think music aficionados, art critics, or wine tasters(yes, there's a lot of evidence they can't actually reliably tell between wines, but this is just an example). Their physical senses typically aren't mechanically or chemically superior, they've just trained themselves to have a very detailed and nuanced view of whichever subject they're specialized in; they get more from the same senses everybody else is using. This is a clumsy hack-job without expert knowledge backing it up, obviously. More like a study drug.

Ack, sorry for the longwinded ramble post.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

ALogo posted:

perceptual fields

Perceptual fields are a byproduct of conceptual mechanisms, used to perceive the external world. The Perceptual aspect allows you to manipulate these fields in various ways, including "boosting" it or changing focus as you say.
But, if the conceptual mechanism isn't equipped to properly process its' altered perception (e.g. if you modified the field of a human to be able to perceive ultraviolet light without changing anything in their mind) then these modifications are useless at best and actively harmful at worst. So, in order to achieve the effects you desire, you will have to use both the Perceptual and Conceptual aspects.

I'll add an ability to the stats post named Enhanced Senses, which should hopefully match what you want.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

The perceptual aspect would be the right one to use if you wanted to make something like a map that updates itself, right? Use perceptual modification of the user's sense of sight to paint whatever the underlying conceptual logic in the map dictates should be drawn, based on inputs from whatever linked objects are observing and measuring the area the map depicts.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

John_A_Tallon posted:

The perceptual aspect would be the right one to use if you wanted to make something like a map that updates itself, right? Use perceptual modification of the user's sense of sight to paint whatever the underlying conceptual logic in the map dictates should be drawn, based on inputs from whatever linked objects are observing and measuring the area the map depicts.

You are right. I'll add an ability called Area Observation which should generalize this idea.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
After taking a couple of moments to compose yourself and looking over the expectant faces of the Overseers, you take a deep breath and begin to speak.

“First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to Overseer Evelyn and Overseer Lillian for providing me with a pair of excellent companions. I would also like to say that I eagerly anticipate learning from all of you, even, or perhaps especially, if I end up disagreeing with you on some matters. After all, confronting different perspectives is one of the best ways to grow!”

You rapidly sift through your mind, desperate to find something relevant to say. Overseer Evelyn gives you an encouraging expression, as if saying that you don’t need to worry – everything will be fine. At last, you manage to form some words that vaguely reflect what you might want to convey.

"As a student in the Viurian education system, I was used to having a lot of guidance and direction from instructors about what was important to study. It's a mindset I've had most of my life, but now I've been trying to shift out of that mindset since it's not the philosophy we use for our Overseer training program. What we use is more like what I expect a graduate student's program would be like, had I gotten that far in the Academy. It's really exciting having so much latitude, and it means a lot to me that you've all been so supportive and eager to help. I'm looking forward to working with, learning from, and having many good discussions and debates with all of you in the future.”

"Since being brought into the fold I've been learning how to do the things only we can do, and how Overseer Alyssa makes use of her political acumen to make progress toward goals. Prior to being an Overseer I seldom thought about how I would change things, or of politics at all. But seeing first hand how Alyssa does things helped me bridge that vast, perilous, gulf between being a complete tyro and being able to superficially understand a political landscape and the levers that move a polity. At least a little.”

"The politicking part of the job seems every bit as useful as any other tool we can bring to bear to achieve a better end for everyone, if perhaps not so dramatic as other methods. However, for now I'm still largely focused on mastering the gift. I've been learning a lot about the basics and I've been focusing a great deal on the Conceptual Aspect of the gift. It's really interesting, and it seems to me like an excellent way to set up coordination between all the aspects in tools designed to be flexible. Overseer Evelyn gave me a small construct that was very helpful for learning how to apply the Conceptual Aspect so that elements react to the world instead of simply acting according to an internal ruleset.”

"I intend to practice more with the other three aspects next, and I think I may put extra focus on the Perceptual Aspect in particular for the next couple of months at least, though by no means do I intend to ignore the other aspects. I have a long way to go. I don't intend to burn myself out on the way, either."

“There is one more thing I want to mention. Unfortunately, as I am sure you are aware, training takes up most of my time. This means that I only have the faintest idea as to what I should be aiming for when it comes to developing my power…”

You try to think of something else to add, but come up short.

“That is all for my report.” you say in a nervous tone. At Overseer Cornelius’ direction, you step away from the podium and return to your seat.

“Thank you for your report, Overseer Twice-Blessed.” he says, ”Your progress and dedication are laudable, though it falls to you to make the time to properly conceptualize the ends you are laboring towards. You will be far less effective if you blindly stumble forwards without a destination in mind. Aside from that, great work! I look forward to hearing of your further progress in your report next year. Now, let us move on to Overseer Lillian’s report.”

As Overseer Lillian approaches the podium, you allow yourself to relax a bit. At least for the time being, the focus is no longer on you.

“It’s…good to see all of you.” she says softly, as she nervously looks around the chamber, obviously uncomfortable with public speaking. Eventually, she locks eyes with Overseer Evelyn and speaks again, this time in a slightly more confident voice, “There haven’t been any particularly noteworthy developments in my territory this year. Obviously, Cornelius has the political situation under control. My crop fliers keep improving efficiency during plantings and harvests, and demand for them keeps growing among large-scale farmers and local governments. I expect that, at the current pace, they will be present in every medium-to-major agricultural enterprise within the next three years. The second heavy-freight flyer is ready and should start working the Mountbase – Rivercross – Tallcliff – Stonegate route early next month, if there are no sudden objections from any of the governments. Prima finally agreed to release the smugglers I told you about last year, and they’ve been handed over to the relevant authorities. Rivercross agreed to officially integrate my letter carriers with their postal service. The watch birds are proving to be a success at fighting organized crime in Stonegate and Linevia, so other governments are going to ask for them, probably. That’s pretty much it. …Oh, I guess there was also that assassination attempt on the Prince of Rohv by a bunch of delusional anarchists of some sort, but that’s been dealt with behind closed doors and they don’t appear to be connected to any bigger movement or organization. Otherwise, everything has been fairly calm. I am working on a couple of new creations, but they are still in the early stages, so I will have more to tell about them next year. Err…That’s it. Thank you for listening.”

She quickly walks back to her seat, apparently trying to avoid any further scrutiny.

“Thank you for your report, Overseer Lillian. As always, you perform your duty admirably, gradually improving the lives of those under your care. Next, let’s hear Overseer Winters’ report, which, this time, should hopefully provide us with the pertinent details of the uncertain situation in her assigned region.”

Overseer Winters saunters over to the podium with a wide grin plastered on her face.

“The situation seems plenty certain to me, though it doesn’t surprise me that the senior Overseer has trouble keeping up with it – despite his considerable experience, he is still a product of a different time.” her tone is daring and self-assured, “Consul Briardi has effectively defeated all remaining opposition to her rule both within and outside the government. The generals are entirely behind her, at least for the time being. The military is being used as the primary police force in the capital and most of the major cities, with mixed success. Some officers are even more prone to corruption than the old Royal Guard, if you can believe it. The refugees won’t be able to return anytime soon, as despite the seeming stability, mutual hatred and long-held emotional grudges are lurking just under the surface of the public consciousness. The economy shows no signs of recovery, quite the opposite, in fact. The new status quo for most of the country seems to be people trying to eke out a living while dreaming of being able to leave. In my assessment, Phiret is at the start of a long and slow downward spiral from which there can be no escape. On the bright side, the possibility of any further conflict seems remote.”

“I see.” says Overseer Cornelius in a slightly confrontational tone, “If my memory doesn’t fail me, your prediction from last meeting seems to have been right on the mark. Your ability to gather accurate information and discern the future direction of events in the midst of the highly chaotic developments in your territory over the last couple of decades is truly worthy of praise. However, both this report and the one from last year seem to be conspicuously incomplete in one particular respect: your response to these developments. What actions have you undertaken, in this past year, to help alleviate the suffering of the people in your territory? How do you intend to counter the negative influences which you have described? What is your plan to rescue the ailing country from that downward spiral? As an Overseer, I would expect the answers to those questions to form the core of your report. And yet…”

“My actions were the same as always – helping those persecuted flee the country, restraining the government from making extreme moves, intimidating crime bosses, expanding my network of informants and removing the most harmful elements. There have been no extraordinary developments on that front this year. Contrary to the senior Overseer’s assertion, there isn’t much I can do at this stage to reverse Phiret’s fortune. I can only do my best to manage its’ descent, and prepare a plan for when it reaches rock bottom.”

“If you aren’t capable of properly aiding the people of your assigned territory, you should ask for the aid of others.” he reprimands her in a harsh tone, “Our organizational structure may have changed, but that shouldn’t be at the expense of ordinary people.”

“Trust me,” her smile is cold and bitter, “if I had believed that your help would have a major impact I would have asked long ago. While I am sure that it doesn’t seem like it at times, I value all of you and respect the work you are doing in your own territories. I just think that your respective approaches aren’t suited to the current circumstances in Phiret, and that you are doing far more good in your own regions than you would be able to do in mine. The only things I ask of you are to trust that I know what I am talking about, and to let me do what I can, even if you disagree with my approach. If you aren’t willing to grant me these things, we can have a vote right now and…”

“There is no need.” says Overseer Cornelius in a resigned tone, “Unless you have anything else to add, we’ll end this here.”

Overseer Winters nods and heads back to her seat, her smile seeming more content than triumphant.

“Overseer Hark, it’s your turn.”

The woman next to you rises from her seat and approaches the podium with big, energetic steps.

“Before I begin my report, I want to say one thing to you, Rose.” she addresses Overseer Winters, or Overseer Rose as you decide to call her in your head from now on, “I trust you. I think all of us do, on some level. I understand that not everything can be under our control at all times. Sometimes things happen without us being able to do much about them. I just think that it’s very important to discuss things like this openly, so that every one of us understands what’s going on. Especially in this meeting, when we welcome someone new into our ranks. So…please don’t try to hide your thoughts from us, even if you don’t think we can help you.”

Overseer Rose shrugs in response, her smile taking on a more sober character.

“Now that that’s settled, I will begin my report. Though, there really isn’t a lot to say. I spend most of my time on dealing with the aftermath of the worker riots in Finvaria. It took a lot of pushing and prodding, but I managed to calm the mood and make the government pass a law that mandates better working conditions in factories. The election went by without any disturbances or underhanded deals, so that’s an improvement over the previous year. I also tried, at Alyssa’s request, to track down those involved in human trafficking through the Colviri border, but didn’t have much luck. Hopefully I will have more time to devote to that issue soon. Vahr has been relatively quiet throughout the year, so nothing to report on that front. Well, that’s all from me, so let’s save Cornelius the need to ask and go right to Gavin’s report.”

She goes back to her seat, and Overseer Gavin, a man who looks to be in his mid-twenties, takes her place at the podium.

“Our operations in Dehra this past year,” he begins, his voice rough and authoritative, “were centered on two fronts: containing the DFA in the south-east and carving a secure supply corridor through Nivon’s territory to connect newly liberated Sut-Ver with the independent towns in the central plains. There weren’t any confrontations with government aligned forces over the entire year, possibly indicating a shift towards a long-term defensive posture on their part. DFA fortifications folded like paper after a brief siege early in the year, with most militias retreating toward their core territories. Likely a result of low morale and fatigue from the long length of the war. On the other front, severe losses were sustained on both sides across multiple large scale confrontations with Nivon’s forces. Nearly half of our forward regiment was lost, and several support battalions were greatly diminished due to artillery fire. Additionally, there were significant civilian casualties in Sut-Ver following a supply raid in late January. Despite all of this, I believe that we have succeeded in securing a long-term supply corridor. Half of our casualties have already been replaced in the field by new volunteers from Sut-Ver, and even more volunteers are currently in training. Overall, I consider this year to be a success. If the war proceeds at the current pace, I expect to call on you to help with negotiating a ceasefire with the DFA within two years time, and Nivon shouldn’t last much longer after our southern front is freed up. That’s all, thank you all for your attention.”

“Thank you for your report, Overseer Ironside. I believe that your valiant efforts are appreciated by all of us. Keep up the good work! Now, Overseer Alodiel-Phereux, please deliver your report.”

Overseer Evelyn heads to the podium with a confident look on her face.

“I have several items to report today. First, there are several new positive policies currently being discussed by the Imperial Council that should hopefully be approved soon, and that I would like to think I helped advance: a monthly allowance paid to those too infirm or old to find conventional employment, free vocational training for the unemployed and the establishment of a special tribunal for settling employment related disputes. The general aim of these policies is helping those who can’t provide for themselves through no fault of their own.”

“Second, following a citizen’s petition I managed to secure the acquittal of a writer falsely accused of lese-majeste, in the process setting a judicial precedent that should make it much easier for others facing similar charges to defend themselves.”

“Third, I’ve finally succeeded in slipping one of my agents into the higher echelons of West Viurian Manufacturing Group, which, I am pretty confident, is heavily involved in the illegal weapon trade and has close ties with several international criminal syndicates. This should be useful both in shutting WVMG down and in compiling some detailed reports on the syndicates themselves and their operations in the Empire and beyond, so you have something to look forward to at next year’s meeting.”

“Fourth, I finally convinced the Regent to accept one of my agents as the young Empress’s Political Theory teacher, which should hopefully pay major dividends in the future. But, who knows? Maybe she won’t like her.”

“There is nothing else to report. I hope all of you have a safe and productive year!”

“Thank you for the report, Overseer Alodiel-Phereux. You are dedicated and competent, as always. Overseer Sortiel, I expect your report will contain an assessment of our new member and her training?”

“Naturally.” Overseer Alyssa says as she calmly approaches the podium. “There are two major things I want to focus on in my report this year: Veruna’s training and the Southern Gang. I will start with the latter. The gang has greatly expanded its’ influence over the southern countryside, to the point where most people there are too terrified to cooperate with my guild’s efforts against them. Their main source of income is selling green dust to desperate rural residents that see it as an escape from the abject misery of their daily lives. They acquire it at favorable rates from a source in Finvaria, as part of an arrangement that involves human trafficking. In other words, they are taking advantage of the extreme vulnerability of Colviri rurals. I intend to act against them with a show of force next month, which will be followed up by a sustained effort to dismantle them entirely, hopefully with the backing of the Colviri government.”

“As for Veruna, I find her to be an exceptionally dedicated and promising trainee. Her steady progress in her mastery of out power has been very impressive and it’s been an absolute delight to instruct her as she found her bearings. In truth, it won’t take long for her to match my own paltry understanding of the Conceptual Aspect, in part thanks to Evelyn’s support, but mostly thanks to her own determination. Aside from that, she has an admirable perspective on the choices we make in the course of our work and their impacts on the people in our care. In short, she has the makings of a fine Overseer.”

By the expressions of the other Overseers, it seems that her assessment was fairly well received.

“Thank you for your report, Overseer Sortiel.” he pauses and his expression shifts to a much warmer one, “Theresa, it’s time for your report.”

Overseer Theresa approaches the podium in a slow, ponderful gait. When she speaks, her voice is quiet, but her words resonate throughout the chamber.

“I have very little to convey to you today. Most of the cases processed by the court over the past year aren’t of major consequence, relatively speaking. The court upheld an arrest warrant on a Sigdian citizen issued by a nation outside of our jurisdiction. It ruled that lower court justices are criminally liable for deliberately misrepresenting its’ prior decisions in their judgments. It established clear criteria for a person to be declared incompetent to stand trial. It reiterated its’ authority to impose punitive measures on governments acting maliciously within its’ jurisdiction.
It levied a fine against a major trade concern for submitting an unreasonable number of spurious petitions. It forced the Sigdian Senate to temporarily suspend a senator for violating Senate rules. As you can see, none of these are of any major interest. Thank you for your attention.”

She heads back to her seat, and just for a moment she completely transforms – instead of the dignified and composed Overseer that stood behind the podium a few seconds ago, she appears as a tired and disheveled old woman, barely able to stand upright. The moment passes and her appearance returns to normal, making you doubt your own senses.

“Well, it seems that the time has arrived for me to deliver my own report.” Overseer Cornelius says in a firm tone. “I am exited to announce a major milestone in my endeavor – Princess Julianne of Coriorane has joined the Order of the Willing. Not only that, but she’s done so in secret, and is following the expected path for a new member. I myself only found out three months after her Initiation. By all accounts, she seems to genuinely believe in our core ideals and is looking to be an active participant of our society. Having a head of state among our number is going to greatly expand our reach and influence, especially considering the powers the Sovereign of Coriorane is able to exercise. Outside of the principality itself, this will allow us to affect legislation in the Averian Assembly’s Hall of Representatives, which is binding for all nations in the Averian Union. Aside from this achievement, which cannot be overstated, we also managed to push the Averian Kingdom to temporarily house refugees from Phiret, despite significant opposition among various segments of the local population. We also helped our preferred candidate get elected as the president of Khalimdor – help that was likely the deciding factor in his success. Overall, this year was our best year this decade. That is all for my report.”

“Now that we’re finished with all of our reports, does anyone have any motions to put to a vote?”

“I do.” says Overseer Evelyn in a mischievous tone.

“Overseer Alodiel-Phereux?”

“I propose that we vote on extending a warm welcome to Veruna and expressing our support for her.”

“Very well. All in favor - raise your hand.”

Completely flabbergasted, you instinctively raise your hand, without looking at anyone else. Can you even vote yet?

“The motion passes unanimously.”

Time to choose your main activity, secondary activity and free time for the next month. Remember that due to Theresa’s advice from last update, you can now choose rest as your main or secondary activity (or both and for your free time as well, why not?), but keep in mind that Stress can’t be reduced below 0. In addition to the previous free time options you can also choose to read The Other Society or Processes of Justice: An Introduction to the Supreme Court, both of which reduce your stress by 2. Don’t forget that you’ve received An Intricate Machine: Observations on the Nature of the Mind from Emily, so you can read that as well. The rest of the options are the same as last time.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 12, 2017

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

I made this: Overseer CYOA Wikia page so that we can keep track of characters and countries and stuff.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

John_A_Tallon posted:

I made this: Overseer CYOA Wikia page so that we can keep track of characters and countries and stuff.

Well, this is unexpected. Feel free to use and update this wiki, but I make no guarantees as to the veracity of the information contained within. In fact, even some of the little info there now has some mild inaccuracies. That's fine, since it reflects the knowledge you have available thus far.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'd say we do Perceptual as a main activity, Rest as secondary and we Talk with Emily in our free time , we've put off getting to know her long enough.
Questions for Emily should be rather general 'getting to know her' questions, like where she's from, what's up with her having wings, her hobbies, how she came to serve an Overseer, that kind of stuff

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

We're going to need to focus on our abilities at some point, but I think grabbing the low fruit and getting basic competency in the aspects isn't a bad move at all. It's just we will need abilities that suit Veruna's style of doing things, and we'll want to be good at our core tricks and use training in those to help along our understanding of the aspects.

Main activity: Practice the Perceptual Aspect
Secondary activity: Rest
Free Time activity: Conversations with Emily

I still want to ask Emily this stuff:
  • Where are you from originally?
  • What's it like piloting Bruno?
  • What do you like to do when you have free time?
  • How did you come to know Lillian?

ALogo
May 9, 2014
I choose rebellion!

Main: Rest
Secondary: Perceptual Aspect
Free Time: Conversations with Emily

We're right on the border of tiering up, so a full main action isn't strictly necessary, and I'd like to have a larger buffer of stress heading into the next teacher, if possible. I'm assuming a main action gives more stress reduction than a secondary action, but who knoooows?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

ALogo posted:

I'm assuming a main action gives more stress reduction than a secondary action, but who knoooows?

You are right. Resting as a secondary activity reduces stress by 5 points, just like resting for your free time, but resting for your main activity reduces stress by 6 points.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

ALogo posted:

Main: Rest
Secondary: Perceptual Aspect
Free Time: Conversations with Emily

Switching to this, same questions though.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Primary: Rest
Secondary: Perception
Free time: Read up on the guilds

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Taking Overseer Theresa’s advice to heart, you decide to focus on resting in your last month in Overseer Alyssa’s care, with only a bit of training in the Perceptual aspect. Every day, you train during what used to be your afternoon session and take the rest of your time to walk around the estate’s garden or simply relax in your room. You hope that taking this break will allow you to be at your best when you begin training under a new Overseer next month.

Your break turns out to be well timed, as Overseer Alyssa seems to be flooded with work -preparing for her “show of force” against the Southern Gang leaves her with very little time to devote to your training. She comes and goes from the estate at odd times, and even when she’s here she spends most of her time in her office, reading reports and writing letters. As a result, you often have to train by yourself. Nevertheless, the Overseer checks on your progress whenever she’s able, pointing out mistakes and giving advice for improvement.

In the Overseer’s absence, you enlist Emily’s help to test your manipulations of perceptual fields, trying to deceive her with your illusions. After a month’s worth of effort, you manage your greatest deception yet – for a few minutes, you make her believe that her bat-like wings have disappeared. During those few minutes, she seems to be incredibly flustered, as she gropes at the empty air behind her back, desperately searching for her wings, completely unaware even as her arms brush against them. When the illusion dissipates, her confusion intensifies for a moment, but is shortly replaced by a burst of laughter.

Your trick may not have been grand in scale or particularly elaborate, but you feel as though, in successfully executing it, you proved that you fully grasp the basics of manipulating perceptual fields.

You gain 2 points in the Perceptual Aspect, bringing your total to 6 and advancing to the next rank! You also gain a point in the Targeted Illusion ability, bringing the total to 4.

As you are walking back to the estate together after one of your training sessions, you decide to take the time to get to know your assistant.

“Hey, do you mind if we talk for a bit? I have some questions for you.”

“Not at all. I was beginning to think that you’d never ask!” she says in a lighthearted tone, “Let’s find a place to sit down.”

You sit down together on an ancient looking wooden bench, under the leaves of a sprawling oak tree. Emily carefully wraps her wings around herself, apparently more comfortable sitting this way.

“So, what did you want to ask me?” she says, smiling warmly.

“I want to get to know you. You are my assistant, after all. Let’s start with…where are you from? You don’t sound like you are from the Empire, or from around here, though I can’t really be sure about the latter.”

“I am from Tallcliff, a city-state on the western shore of the Averian Union. Have you heard of it?”

You search your memories. You’ve certainly heard the name mentioned before, and you vaguely remember the approximate location of the city-states on a map from your primary education, but you don’t have any meaningful information on Tallcliff itself or the city-states in general.

“Only a bit. What is it like?”

“Compared to cities in this country and the Empire, it’s much more crowded. There are hundreds of people on any main street at most hours of the day, and, back before I had these,” she slightly unfurls her wings for emphasis, “I got lost in the crowds pretty often. Fortunately, the library my mother works at doesn’t usually get many visitors, so I always had a place to go whenever I wanted to get away from the crowds. Other than that, I would say the streets are cleaner than over here, though not nearly as clean as the Empire’s. Then again, I doubt any other place can match the Empire in that respect.”

“I see. If you don’t mind telling me, why do you have wings? It’s obvious that this is Overseer Lillian’s handiwork, but why did she alter you in this way?”

“Everyone that works for Lily has their body modified to better suit their tasks. Some are even modified multiple times. I used to be a messenger and occasionally a…rescue person, I guess you could call it, before I was assigned to you. Flying was very useful for both. The claws make it easier to grab onto vertical surfaces if I need to, and, as a bonus, I don’t need to spend any money on footwear ever again. It took me surprisingly little time to get used to the modifications, probably because Lily is very good at what she does, and now I can’t imagine living without them.”

“Speaking of Overseer Lillian’s handiwork, can you tell me what it’s like to pilot Bruno?”

“It isn’t very easy to explain. Basically, our minds are connected, and if I flip a metaphorical switch in my head, I see the world through his perspective, in addition to my own. If I concentrate, I can control his movements as naturally as my own, though it took quite a bit of practice before I learned how to fly him properly. Whenever I am done, I can flip the switch again to stop controlling him. It’s all very intuitive from my perspective, which is yet another testament to Lily’s superb skill.”

“How did you end up working for her, anyway?”

“That’s an interesting story, actually. About 7 years ago, when I was your age, I worked part-time in the same library as my mother. One evening, when I was the only one on duty, a tall woman with horns, armored skin and sharp claws on her hands came in. It was fairly obvious that she worked for the Overseer, but I was pretty intimidated nonetheless, with the two of us being alone in the building. She approached me and, in the most polite tone that I’ve ever heard from anyone, asked me to recommend her a decent modern romance novel. My fear was instantly replaced by amusement. It must have shown on my face, since she asked about it.”

“We quickly became engaged in a silly discussion about the state of the romance genre. From then on, she would come to the library every week, usually in the evening, to borrow a new book and chat with me in the process. We became fast friends. Her name is Mary, and, though we rarely see each other anymore, we are still good friends to this day.”

“Ever since I was little, I dreamt of making a major positive impact on the world, like being a benevolent ruler or an influential author. I gave up on those dreams for a time, but when I eventually mentioned them, half-jokingly to Mary, she took them very seriously. One thing led to another, and I found myself enthusiastically leaping into the Overseer’s service. I wasn’t thinking about how this would affect my life in the long-term, which makes it all the more surprising that I still consider that decision to be one of the best ideas I’ve had thus far. The work was difficult at times, but it was absolutely worth it. Still is.”

She stops, waiting for you to comment.

“That was a nice story. I am glad you were able to achieve your dream, or something like it. You would have probably made for a good Overseer, had you been chosen instead of me.”

“Maybe, though I doubt I would have understood your power nearly as quickly as you have. Is there anything else you wanted to ask?”

“Yes. What do you do in your free time?”

“I do what I always have - read history books. The library here, despite being small, has many works I’ve never had the chance to read back home, since we didn’t have many books written outside of the Union. What I’ve read here so far has already widened my perspective on many topics. I’ll have to ask Overseer Alyssa to borrow some books before we leave next month. Is that the last question?”

“Well…yes.”

“Then, enough about me. Why don’t you tell me about yourself? I know you’re from Sudfurt. What is it like? How did you end up in the Academy?”

You spend the rest of the day on discussing your hometown, your life at the Academy and various related anecdotes.

The day of the Overseer’s operation finally arrives, and now, at 17:00 on the 27th of July, you sit in the Overseer’s office, together with Cecilia and the unusually restless Overseer. Emily, who was dispatched to Ir with a handwritten letter from the Overseer a couple of hours earlier, walks in with a swift pace.

“How did it go?” asks the Overseer in a firm tone.

“I personally handed it to the Justice Minister. She said she’ll have an answer by 17:30.”

“It seems she intends to keep us in suspense until the last possible moment.” says the Overseer, with an odd smile on her face, “That’s fine. This is the risk I decided to take by only informing her today. It was worth it to deny her the chance of making any alterations to the plan. As it stands, her only options are to either accept or reject it in its’ entirety. She has a lot to gain by accepting, and a lot more to lose if she rejects it, so the risk isn’t substantial. However, I have seen a lot of unexpected moves from politicians in this country over the decades, so we should be ready for anything.”

A few minutes pass as the four of you wait quietly in the office, each consumed by their own thoughts. For your part, you try to wrestle with your uncertainty regarding this so-called “show of force” which the Overseer has told you almost nothing about.

Eventually, Elsa, the Overseer’s assistant, walks in to the room with a telegram in hand and silently gives it to the Overseer, who after glancing over it, puts it down on the table for all of you to read.

To A. S.,

You have my full support. There shouldn’t be any problems with the prosecutions.

The local authorities can’t be trusted. I am counting on you.

G. B.

“It seems that my gamble paid off, not that it was much of a gamble. We shouldn’t delay any more than necessary, so I’ll give you ten minutes to prepare for a long night out.”

As you soar through the night sky on top of a giant atlas beetle, looking down on the thick forest below, you find yourself briefly wondering what a slightly younger you would think if she were told that something like this was in her near future. Whatever the answer may be, moments like this perfectly serve to illustrate the strange course that your life has taken.

“Veruna.” the Overseer addresses you for the first time since your departure from the estate. Her tone is somehow more serious than usual, as she says “I have to warn you, this is probably not going to be pleasant. Odds are that some of them are going to die, and many more will sustain crippling injuries. This sort of thing tends to come up from time to time, in the course of carrying out our duties. Personally, this isn’t something I look fondly on, but it is a part of our position that you need to get used to.”

“Intimidating displays aren’t usually part of my repertoire, but I believe it’s the best course of action for this situation. Currently, countless rural residents, who are already the most vulnerable portion of Colviri society, are being ruthlessly exploited by the Southern Gang, which already ruined countless lives and dealt considerable, perhaps irreparable, damage to countless communities. Most of those affected feel that, like many other aspects of their lives, the Southern Gang is something that they are powerless against – yet another constant force stomping down on their hopes and preventing any prospects for a happy future. They have largely rejected any overtures from my guild, fearing violent retribution.”

“The main purpose of tonight’s operation is to demonstrate that this impression is false – that the Southern Gang is not invulnerable. On the contrary, after tonight, they are going to be exposed for what they are – a collection of insecure thugs existing solely by the grace of the willful ignorance of those in power. My aim is to show their victims that there are places to turn, be it my guild or the law, which are both capable and willing to help.”

“I apologize for the lecture, but I feel it’s important for you to understand my rationale for taking this course of action. This sort of thing shouldn’t ever be done without proper consideration.”

You nod, taking some time to consider her words.

Eventually, you land in a small clearing in the midst of a forest shrouded in near impenetrable darkness. The Overseer tells Emily to remain behind with Bruno and be ready to take to the air at a moment’s notice.

With that, Cecilia, the Overseer and you enter the pitch black forest, illuminated only by the faint moonlight shining through the thick ceiling of leaves and branches above you. The Overseer extends her hand, and a small lick of flame appears at her fingertips. This provides you with enough light to be able to keep track of your companions and follow the Overseer’s lead without tripping on the undergrowth. You have no idea how she is able to find her way through the barely visible mess of trees and bushes that surrounds you on all sides.

After some time, you reach another clearing where a small group of people wearing the uniforms of the Supporter’s Guild await. “Everything is as expected.” whispers one of them, a man with a short beard, “No sudden movements. We can begin at any moment.”

“Very well.” the Overseer whispers back, “To your positions. We begin on my mark.”

The entire group, the three of you included, starts quietly moving through the forest. You count less than a dozen members in their “squad”, each equipped with either a pistol or a rifle. Soon, you reach the edge of the small hill you were on, and see some lights in front of you. Further examination reveals that the lights originate at a sizeable wooden farmhouse located under the hill, at the edge of a dirt path. The three of you remain in place while the rest of the group silently climbs downhill and approaches the farmhouse from behind. One of them, a young woman, whispers intensely “Show them what hell looks like, ma’am.” The Overseer doesn’t respond.

You can see a few vague figures with rifles sitting around a campfire on the other side of the farmhouse. As you watch, you feel a strange sensation on your skin. You look down and see that every part of your skin is coated with a solid layer of some dark-blue substance. The Overseer’s skin is similar, while Cecilia is unaffected. “It’s for the burns.” the Overseer whispers cryptically.

You wait a few more seconds, as the last of the group’s members disappear from view. Suddenly, a semi-circle of light appears around the front of the farmhouse. The figures around the campfire stand up, and you can hear the sound of swift footsteps from inside. The light gets brighter and brighter until the terrain on the semi-circle bursts into flame. Incredibly strong gusts of wind push the flames from the outside, fanning them. Within the span of a few moments, the flames grow to an enormous size, reminding you of a forest fire you’ve seen long ago.

Without warning, the flames advance with absurd speed, engulfing the farmhouse and its’ grounds. You can feel the intense heat, as if you just stepped out into the middle of a searing desert at noon. Thick clouds of smoke cloud your vision, your breath starts feeling ragged and you sense your throat and nostrils burning up from the inside. Vaguely, at the edge of your awareness, you hear the screams. Long and guttural, they barely reach your ears, overpowered by the sounds of the raging inferno.

Acting on instinct, you close your eyes, put your hands over your ears and halt your breath. When you open your eyes again, the world looks differently. You see the translucent walls pushing the flames towards the farm, the spheres at the bases of the flames, and the clearly delineated safety corridor providing the sole path of escape from the farm grounds – right towards the group silently waiting in ambush. It’s almost elegant in a way. Yet, for some reason, you can’t quite get rid of the burning sensation in your throat…

The next day, you wake up at noon, utterly exhausted by the events of the previous night. It takes you over half an hour to get out of bed. The burning sensation in your throat has subsided, but you still don’t feel quite right. As you open your room’s door, you are greeted by Emily, who looks at you with a concerned expression. Apparently, she’s been waiting near your door for quite a while.

“Are you alright?” she asks in a soft tone.

“…Yes, I am fine. Just…feeling a bit under the weather.” you force out the words, trying to appear composed.

“Okay. If you need me, I’ll be right here.”

You expect her to return to her room. Instead, she follows you, keeping a few steps behind you at all times. Not paying her any mind, you go down to the dining hall to have a much needed breakfast, or, more accurately, a much needed lunch.

As the butler brings out a meal, your eyes fall on the front page of a daily newspaper. It reads:

OVERSEER DECLARES WAR ON SOUTHERN GANG
Justice Minister Geraldina Braun and Countess Alyssa Sortiel, our kingdom’s Overseer, have announced, in a joint press conference, the first actions in a “sustained and relentless campaign” against the Southern Gang – a vast criminal organization operating mainly in the south eastern countryside. Yesterday, the Overseer led a daring midnight raid against the gang, burning down a secluded country farmhouse containing several tons of green dust, which is the gang’s main income source. According to reports, only ashes remain of this illicit drug storehouse. Several high-ranking members of the gang were arrested on location by members of the Supporter’s Guild and promptly handed over to the proper authorities, which promise a speedy trial with harsh sentences. Other members of the gang were killed in the confrontation. According to independent analysts familiar with the matter, the raid is a crippling blow to the gang’s operations…

[…]

“There is only one way I will allow this to end.” commented Justice Minister Braun, “A criminal organization allowed to keep operating with impunity on our kingdom’s soil is not a remotely acceptable scenario. You can rest assured that I will make every effort imaginable and use any means at my disposal, to remove every last of these criminals from our streets. I intend to tightly cooperate with the Supporter’s Guild to ensure that every victim willing to come forward will receive adequate protection until the situation is resolved. I am also willing to consider an amnesty for any members of the gang who turn themselves in this month and provide concrete information leading to the arrest of leading members in the organization.”

[…]

“Over the past year, the Southern Gang has been steadily increasing it’s presence in the south-east of the country.” stated the Overseer, “The results of this presence can be seen in the miserable and desperate faces of the rural residents. Their lives have been made into a living hell, with no visible avenues for escape. To those victims, I want to say that you are not alone. There are avenues that can help you. You don’t need to live your lives in fear of violence. As always, the Supporter’s Guild’s doors are open to anyone at any time. To the members of the Southern Gang, I want to make one thing clear: this is a declaration of war. If you want to escape unscathed, turn yourself in now or flee the kingdom. This is your last warning.”

[…]

Already, reports are coming in of victims willing to testify against the Southern Gang. Financially crippled and under pressure, the gang has lost a great portion of its’ strength overnight. Many think that a recovery is impossible, and are heralding the beginning of the end for the once fearsome gang…

Inexplicably, you feel much better. Nevertheless, a slight feeling of discomfort within your throat remains. Emily places a hand on your shoulder, “Everything will be all right.” she says in a warm tone.

You nod, unable to think of a response. Maybe it will. In fact, everything likely will be alright. Not that you had any concrete reason to be concerned.

Time to choose what you want to talk about with Alyssa on your last day under her care. You can be as vague or as specific as you like. As always, I will go with the thread’s consensus.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 17, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Anyone?

ALogo
May 9, 2014
Hmm, we should ask her if she has any advice on how to behave where we're headed next.

Everything else I want to ask about doesn't seem quite appropriate or is redundant.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Ask her about our throat, is it just an aversion to blood shed or is it something related to what she did with her powers

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

I want to know about what we saw when Veruna saw Theresa's appearance seem to change. Was it some sort of insight from the gift? Was she letting a Perceptual illusion drop? Was someone imposing a Perceptual illusion? What happened!

Seeing the violence obviously affected Veruna deeply, as it usually does people who have only led peaceful lives. I'd be surprised if she even ever saw anything more rough and tumble than a schoolyard fistfight. I'd like to ask Alyssa if it ever gets any easier, seeing or participating in that kind of thing. Not that it's a good thing, but she's right, it is sometimes a necessary tool in the toolkit.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
After eating, you do your best to assure Emily that you’re fine and she doesn’t need to worry about you too much. She doesn’t seem fully convinced, but agrees to stop following you everywhere, if only for now.

You take this opportunity to go on a nice long walk alone around the estate’s grounds, hoping it will help clear your mind. As you walk, bathing in the serene atmosphere of the overgrown garden, your mind wanders aimlessly. At first, you contemplate your progress in your training and your future in the position of Overseer. Next, you reflect on the last six months, which have gone by in the blink of an eye. Then, you think of the immediate future and coming under the care of a new Overseer. This makes you recall last month’s meeting and the other Overseers’ reports. You find yourself contemplating their actions and their effect on the lives of regular people. Finally, this prompts you to consider yesterday’s operation and its’ apparent effectiveness in attaining its’ goal.

Your memory of last night feels raw in some way you can’t quite articulate. The overwhelming heat, the clouds of smoke, the drawn-out screams and, most of all, the feeling of your throat burning from the inside, are all incredibly vivid. At this point, you can’t deny the lasting impression last night left on you.

Despite that, it seems that the operation was successful in crippling the Southern Gang and in giving hope to those exploited by it. The Overseer said that it was the best course of action in this situation, and, so far, the results speak for themselves.

This leads you to some uncomfortable questions: When you face a similar situation as a full-fledged Overseer, will you be able to act similarly? Should you even act similarly? Can you feel confident in your own judgment when the potential consequences are this severe?

Feel free to answer these or not. Your answers will only affect Veruna’s current thoughts on this subject.

Regardless of your answers, these questions make you feel immensely under qualified for the position, and it isn’t clear how your training will help you in acquiring this kind of qualification. In the end, you conclude that you can only try your best and hope that’s enough.

Half an hour after dusk on the same day, the Overseer returns to the estate in one of her personal carriages, seeming as composed and aware as ever, despite going without sleep for two days in a row. Not long after her arrival, she calls you into her office for a private conversation.

Not wasting any time, you decide to share some of what’s been going through your mind. You decide to start by mentioning the uncomfortable feeling in your throat.

“I see.” says the Overseer in a contemplative tone, “When most people witness or go through an intense experience that they are not mentally prepared for, it tends to have a lasting effect on them. It seems that last night shocked you, at least on a subconscious level, resulting in a lingering sense of discomfort. The unpleasant sensation in your throat is likely your body’s way of expressing that discomfort, replaying the physical symptoms caused by smoke inhalation. As time goes by, the effect should lessen, as you encounter other things to occupy your mental capacity.”

“Thank you for explaining.” you say, somewhat relieved, “I was thinking about last night earlier, and I wanted to ask – does it ever get any easier? I mean, seeing or participating in these sorts of things?”

“That depends on your own disposition. Generally, I would say that it does get easier. Much easier, in some cases. Most people can get used to most things, inflicting harm and taking lives are no exceptions. Whether that’s good or not depends on one’s perspective, I suppose. In our line of work, having an aversion to violence can hinder you, though it can also restrain you from acting too recklessly.”

“I understand. I think that’s enough on this topic.” you say, eager to leave the uncomfortable subject behind. “I wanted to ask you about tomorrow – is there anything I need to know, in terms of how to behave or what to expect, before departing for Finvaria?”

“I think Nadine should be able to fill you in on all the pertinent details herself, but there are several things I can tell you. The first thing you need to keep in mind is that, unless you know Finvarian or Vahr, you won’t be able to communicate with most locals and will be even more reliant on Nadine than you were on me. As with any other region you’ll visit over the course of your training, learning the local languages is neither necessary nor feasible, but getting a basic familiarity with them should prove useful.”

“As for behavior, Finvaria is a major trade hub so the local population is used to dealing with foreigners, especially foreigners from the Empire, which means there shouldn’t be any need to worry about it. However, if you find yourself visiting the shriveled remains of Vahr, you may want to avoid poor neighborhoods, as there is plenty of hostility towards Imperial citizens over there. If Cecilia’s with you, you won’t be in any real danger, but it can get unpleasant, so best not to bother.”

“Other than that, listen to Nadine and you should be fine. She knows the local cultures far better than me, after all. Is that all you wanted to ask?”

“Yes, I think so. Although…there is something that’s been bothering me for the last month. During the meeting, I saw Overseer Theresa…transform, I guess you could say. For a moment, she seemed much older than usual. What was that?”

“All Overseers age much slower than regular people, but even we reach a point where our body makes it difficult to perform our duties. Theresa reached that point a couple of decades ago, but, like most, chose to continue her work rather than...retire. I am not privy to the details, but I imagine she uses a combination of perceptual manipulation and physiological modification to keep up with her work. What you’ve seen is likely a momentary lapse in those measures. This isn’t the first time it happened. Not by far. I…worry about her sometimes. Such lapses are indicative of a wavering in her focus and motivation. To think that even the best of us…well, never mind. Do you have any more questions?”

You shake your head.

“Then it’s time to tell you your instructions for tomorrow. I will be leaving soon, making this our last meeting for a while. You should prepare everything you’ll need for traveling, and be ready to depart at 7:00. I will brief Emily on how to get to your destination - Korin’s Mark, an old Finvarian town near the Colviri border. The journey should take you about four hours. When you arrive, land near the southern road out of town and wait for Nadine to find you, which shouldn’t take too long. From then on, you will be under her care.”

“There is one last thing I want to tell you before we part ways: you’ve been a model trainee. Aside from the steady progress in mastering your power you’ve made over the last six months, you also display a remarkably mature attitude to our role and the impact of the choices we make. I reiterate my assessment that you will make for a fine Overseer. Farewell, Veruna. It has been a pleasure.”

Mildly surprised at her praise, you quickly fire back.

“Thank you. I feel like I learned a lot during the last six months, largely due to your efforts. I couldn’t ask for a better person to introduce me to our role. See you at the next annual meeting!”

You shake her hand and walk out of her office, wondering to yourself about the progress you can manage before you next meet.

“We are past the border.” Cecilia says in a matter-of-fact tone.

You look down from the gazebo-like structure atop Bruno and try to make out some evidence of a border on the ground far below you. However, the only thing in view is the same forested hills stretching out as far as you can see.

“How can you tell?”

“I’ve spent the night going through maps of this area. I am confident in my knowledge of the terrain, barring any recurring mistakes by cartographers.”

“I see.” you say, not knowing how to respond.

“I sure hope you’re right,” Emily chimes in with a light-hearted tone, “because I only have the vaguest idea of where we are, so basically flying blind at this point.”

“Do you need help?” Cecilia asks nonchalantly.

“I’ll be fine for now. I think we are close to our destination, anyway.”

“You think correctly. The town is a short distance south of here. Maintain our current heading and it should come into view in a couple of minutes.”

She is proven right as, a couple of minutes later, a small and fairly spread out town appears in front of you. The beetle makes a smooth turn to circle around it, and, after a few seconds, lands near the southern road out of town. You wonder what the locals must think after seeing a giant atlas beetle in their sky, but quickly come to the conclusion that your time above the town was far too brief for many people to notice.

“So, now we just…wait?” Emily asks after opening her eyes.

“Those were the Overseer’s instructions.” you respond, looking around your landing spot, which is surrounded by trees and is a fair distance away from the town, “Maybe we should have landed a bit closer. While we wait, tell me - does anyone know anything about Overseer Nadine Hark?”

Cecilia shakes her head and Emily responds with a shrug of her wings. “I am pretty sure you’re the only one of us who’s actually met her before.” she says.

You recall the meeting from last month and your interactions with Overseer Nadine, or Overseer Hark as you mentally referred to her at the time. You haven’t actually talked with her, but she was the one to reassure you with her remarks before your report, telling you that you could call on her for help at any time. Whenever you saw her in your dreams, she always spoke in a foreign language, if she spoke at all, so you don’t have any impression of what her personality is like.

“I wonder how long we’ll have to wait.” you say, idly looking at the forest birds in the surrounding trees.

“Not very long at all.” a familiar voice responds. The voice is coming from…one of the forest birds you were looking at. The bird flies down to the ground. You blink and the bird is replaced with the figure of Overseer Nadine who, apart from wearing different clothes, looks exactly as she did during the meeting.

“I am sorry, that was rude of me.” she says with a small smile, “I couldn’t help it. Eavesdropping on conversations is a deeply ingrained habit of mine. Anyway, Emily and Cecilia, as I am sure you know, I am Overseer Nadine Hark. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

Cecilia simply nods while Emily shakes the Overseer’s hand. “The pleasure is ours.” she says, smiling warmly.

“As for you Veruna, it’s good to see you again. We have a very tight schedule these next six months, but you are used to that already, no?”

“It’s good to see you too.” you reply, “I am eager to resume my training in earnest.”

“That’s good. There are many things we must do as soon as today, but before that, an explanation is in order. I intend to keep up with my usual work alongside training you, and my usual work involves moving around my assigned area a lot, so we won’t be staying in any one place for long. As such, you’ll have to interact with the locals a lot more than you did in Colvir, even without me being present. This shouldn’t cause you too much trouble, despite the language gap. I don’t suppose any of you can speak Finvarian?”

You and Emily both shake your heads, but, surprisingly, Cecilia responds with “I can’t speak Finvarian, but I understand some of it, and am fluent in Vahr.”

“Vahr won’t help you much out here, but in the major cities most public facing workers speak it, so it should serve in a pinch. Aside from that, you’ll draw too much attention if Emily is with you, so, unless you have any objections, I’ll have her stay behind whenever we enter populated settlements, or have her ran some errands, if she prefers.”

“I don’t mind at all,” Emily says in a cheerful tone, “this is hardly a new concept for me. Though, I would prefer to do something useful whenever I can’t assist Veruna.”

“Excellent. Any questions before we begin?

The questions can be about any topic. Also, don’t forget to answer the previous questions in this update, if you want to.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

When you face a similar situation as a full-fledged Overseer, will you be able to act similarly?
Only one way to find out. Best to figure out how to maximize my ability to take drastic action, because if I'm going to do this for the rest of my life I probably won't be able to avoid it.

Should you even act similarly?
If I can determine it to be the best course of action, after accounting for detrimental side and compound effects. And managing to get past that the people that died are not only still people, but still people to whom I hold a duty of care. I doubt the next people I may have to oppose violently will be as unsympathetic as drug lords and human traffickers.

Can you feel confident in your own judgment when the potential consequences are this severe?
The buck really does stop here*, doesn't it. ... Oh poo poo.**

Hang on while I check if developing my judgment is at the top of my priorities, and maybe engrave it there if it isn't.

Substitute appropriate idiom *here and, if necessary, **here.

Any questions before we begin?
I've already learned that time is dear, and access to knowledge more so. I'd like to think I've learned to value as experience I don't have to suffer for, but not enshrine as universal truth, the opinions of my mentors. That in mind, what would you consider the best things you could teach to a student training to be a peer, what things you could teach best, and the best things she could learn from you? Time is so so dear, and while I no doubt need comprehensive knowledge and skill of my own, no one can be omniscient, and some things can be left to trusted specialists or compatriots. I need to know what if anything I can safely NOT learn.
Do you regret any lessons not learned or opportunities not taken when you were in my station?
Do you believe there are lessons that can only be learned from experience? Do you believe there are lessons for which even knowing they can only be learned from experience can hamper someone's ability to learn them?

Laser-focused, yes, but not even a laser draws to a point. I've omitted things like 'what the other Overseers turn to her for most' and 'what particular discrete skills she most values and relies on' because we can reasonably expect to learn those from observation and we won't be remotely the same person as she is so we can hardly expect to rely on the exact same skills she does - though I would be surprised if a basic set didn't emerge from observing all the other Overseers. Feel free to use this more as inspiration, or guidance, or maybe a bit inner monologue (any, but especially the italicized parts) rather than verbatim.

Why do I get the feeling we might lose another Overseer during our training, maybe more, and maybe not Theresa?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 18, 2017

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

When you face a similar situation as a full-fledged Overseer, will you be able to act similarly?
Being a full-fledged Overseer will mean getting through six months shadowing Gavin Ironsides. He's certainly not going to drop his campaigning just to teach Veruna, so she's going to see a lot more violence before she's finished with her training. She'll have ample opportunity to adjust, as Alyssa said. Since Veruna's proven to be pretty flexible so far, she probably will be able to take violent action once she's fully fledged.

Should you even act similarly? Can you feel confident in your own judgement when the potential consequences are this severe?
Historically, violence is a tool that gets used a lot by humanity. Veruna's not quite like most humans now, but she is still human culturally if nothing else. In that context, yes, violence is a valid tool. The Southern Gang example is an ideal example of the sort of situation where it is not only merely expedient, but actually the justified option.

The Southern Gang was actively ruining the lives of innocent people, acting as a conduit for the addictive green powder, kidnapping young women Veruna's age, or her sister's age, or maybe even as old as Emily (who is only 24 herself), and had used intimidation to make sure no one would come forward with evidence so that the gang could be legally arrested. The informer was a bit of luck by Alyssa apparently, since finding a criminal who is dying and needs medical treatment that an Overseer can provide isn't exactly going to be a reliable way to turn informants. If she'd tried to use the informer's testimony as evidence it would be called into doubt, and he would probably be killed by the gang at the first opportunity.

A trial would likely have been dragged out, and in any case Alyssa fully expected the legal system to take some time to start moving correctly, or else she wouldn't have put off the notification until the last minute. Modifications to an arrest operation could be made for all sorts of reasons, including because of lower-ranking officials on the take running interference to give the gang time to hide the most damning evidence. Even loyal officials might drag things out just for the sake of pride, since they would want to put their own spin on the way things are done and be able to claim some of the credit. If the gang had moles or informers, which seems likely given the scale of their operation, the end effect would be the same.

Doing nothing once the course of action was clear would have been unconscionable. Ferreting out moles would have given the gang even more time to destroy more people. A clear action, to cripple the gang and inspire the public's confidence that the government, the Overseer, and the Supporters' Guild could protect them if they came forward with evidence, was the quickest and most correct option.

Being able to understand all this is a decent indicator that Veruna's got potential to be able to weigh the pros and cons of using violence on her own. If she can think things over, she'll probably be able to do pretty well at not inappropriately applying violence.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Questions for Nadine:

• Is it likely that Veruna will be assigned to the area Victoria was previously responsible for?
  • Is there much crossover in duties between Overseers assigned to the same region? Like would it be usual for Nadine and Gavin to both be more aware of and better prepared for helping with the issues their counterpart is addressing in the area than they would be, for instance, issues in the Azure Sea?
  • While it isn't feasible to learn every language in every area, there's got to be some major languages that are worth the effort. Does Nadine have suggestions about that?
  • Have any previous Overseers, historical or not, built tools to help with learning languages, or other kinds of learning for that matter?
  • Actually, what tends to happen to physical artifacts left behind by Overseers when they pass? In 1254 years I would expect more than a few Overseers to focus on building wonders like Bruno here.
  • What is the situation in Nadine's area? Veruna is pretty ignorant about this region and the current challenges faced by the people who live here.
  • How long did it take Nadine to learn to become a bird?

dont be mean to me posted:

Why do I get the feeling we might lose another Overseer during our training, maybe more, and maybe not Theresa?

I don't know why you feel like that. Cornelius apparently has seniority over Theresa, but he seemed vigorous enough when we spoke to him. It may have been the case that Theresa got the gift when she was already well experienced and Cornelius got it when he was young like Veruna. I could see two or three decades difference in age mattering a lot at this point.

I don't have the feeling that we'll lose anyone during the training period. I think Theresa will want to hang on long enough to see through training one last new Overseer. Her, or others, passing in the years after Veruna's training is done seems much more likely to me.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 20, 2017

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
If anyone is still reading this, I am really sorry for the abrupt delay. Lately, I have been obsessed with running another game. Regardless, I will try to get an update out on Saturday.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

I am still reading! Don't feel bad though.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

If anyone is still reading this, I am really sorry for the abrupt delay. Lately, I have been obsessed with running another game. Regardless, I will try to get an update out on Saturday.

Please don't forget this one.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I haven't! It's just that the other one takes up a lot of time. I will resume this once I get more free time in general, which should be in about a month or so. Glad to know someone is still interested.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
You have many questions going through your mind. You take a couple of moments to sift through them and select the ones that seem most pertinent.

“I was meaning to ask this for a long time now. Can you tell me which area I am going to be assigned to after finishing my training? Is it likely to be Victoria’s old territory?”

“That’s for you to decide. There will be several options, depending on what you end up specializing in and what areas will need special attention at the time. I don’t know what these options will end up being, but Victoria’s old territory is definitely not going to be one of them – even divided in two, me and Gavin have some trouble with it, so you’re certainly not going to end up in charge of the entirety of Old Vahr. You can rest easy on that front. At worst, you will be offered a small, relatively stable portion of it, if the conditions are right. Still, I am sure you will face plenty of challenges wherever you end up, just to keep you on your toes.”

“That reminds me, do Overseers working relatively near each other have much crossover in their duties? For example, are you and Gavin better prepared to deal with each other’s respective issues than those of Overseers in other territories?”

“Only in an abstract sense. By virtue of working in a neighboring territory and from my experience working under Victoria, I am probably better equipped to help Gavin with his work than I am with any other, and I am sure the same is true for his side of this equation, but that’s just based on better knowledge of the issues involved. In no sense am I ready to replace him, nor is he ready to replace me. Our approaches are radically different, and I am not likely to be a good fit for his territory at the moment, and vice versa. I am sure that if it came to it, I could do more in Colvir against the Southern Gang than I could do by meddling in wars south of the border.”

“On a completely different topic, what languages are worth learning in the short term?”

“That depends on where you end up being assigned. Still, for now you would be best served by the languages of empires, old and new, if you want to be understood, if not particularly welcomed, in most of the world. You already lucked into knowing Viurian, so there’s just Vahr, Averian and possibly Sigdian left to be conquered. As a personal observation, you may also want to be acquainted with Finvarian, if you don’t want the future to catch you off guard. This nation may be young, but it holds many surprises for the world at large, in more ways than one.”

“Are there any Overseer made tools to help with learning languages or learning in general?”

“Not to my knowledge. The human mind, when viewed as a conceptual mechanism, is a pretty fragile thing. If you want to avoid permanent harm, its best to avoid generic solutions to its modification. From what I understand, a personal approach is best, and even then, an intimate knowledge of the Conceptual Aspect is essential. You might want to ask Evelyn for more information on this. I personally have never had my mind messed with, and I feel pretty confident in my linguistic skills and capacity for learning. Don’t make any rush moves when it comes to this sort of thing. It doesn’t end well.”

“Speaking of tools, did any of the previous Overseers leave behind any artifacts? If so, where are they? I would have expected plenty of Overseers to have a lasting legacy.”

“That’s a more complicated question than you might think. There are only a few physical remnants from previous generations left, like Victoria’s models, and even fewer that are still in use. Even when we worked under a more organized system, we still tended to use our power to aid us in our everyday work, rather than to create independent mechanisms with any longevity. As today, most of our tools required regular maintenance through specialized use of our power, which means that once the creator retired, there was often no one who both wanted and had the capability to look after their creations. Right now, only Evelyn and Lilly’s creations are an exception to that rule, being relatively self-sufficient.”

“What is the current situation in your territory? I know almost nothing.”

“Oof, that’s quite the question there. Part of the point of your training is for you to find that out first hand as you accompany me, so I won’t get into it here. Suffice it to say, Finvaria, its smaller neighbors and the Vahr Protectorate are chock full of their own unique messes to deal with. Never a dull day around here.”

“Fair enough. Can you tell me about your bird form instead? How long did it take you to master it?”

“What, this?”

She makes a dramatic gesture with her hand. You don’t quite catch the moment when it happens, but the Overseer is replaced with the same colorful forest bird you saw earlier. It flies up and perches on your shoulder. You hear the Overseers voice emanating from it.

“This took me a few good years. I am sure you can master it too, should you choose to. A good grasp of the Physical and Conceptual aspects and a bit of creativity are the essential components here. The rest is just practice.”

“In general, what are the things you think you can teach me best? We have a limited amount of time together, after all.”

“I wouldn’t worry about that too much. When it comes to our power, I doubt you’ve reached a level of understanding in any aspect where any of us wouldn’t be able to train you further. In my regular work, I mainly rely on the Physical Aspect, backed by personal techniques based in the Conceptual and Perceptual ones. But if you need help with the Connective aspect, I am sure there is still a lot I could do for you at this stage. When it comes to the other qualities needed in our work, well...this training system intends you to develop them on your own, based on observing the way each of us does things. That way you can develop methods that suit you personally. That said, if you need any advice, I am at you service.”

“I see. Is this because some lessons can only be learned through personal experience?”

“More or less. But there are also plenty of lessons to be learned by absorbing the experience of others, so pay attention during these next six months. Though from what I heard from Alyssa, I doubt you would have any problems on that front.”

“Lastly, is there anything you regret not learning when you were in my place?”

“Plenty of things. The importance of having real connections with the people under our care, the ways our actions can be perceived by outsiders, the true extent of the authority inherent to our position, and most importantly, that relying on received wisdom is the greatest folly of all. But we should really get going now. You seem like a clever person. I am sure you’ll figure things out.”

Still in bird form, she drops down from your shoulder and flies off towards the town. You and Cecilia quickly follow. Emily is left behind with Bruno for now.

The first thing that strikes you about the town of Korin’s Mark is how sparse everything is. The average distance between the simple stone buildings is easily eight times the distance between buildings in your hometown of Sudfurt or Lissburg and more than ten times the distance between buildings in Ir. Long patches of overgrown grass dot the simple dirt roads that run through the town, and the few people that you meet on your way throw a curious look in your direction before returning to their own concerns.

The Overseer, now back in human form, leads the two of you to what looks like an old inn near what would probably be considered the center of town. Before entering, she turns to you.

“Repeat after me – Li nah kehri Finvahr. Li Viur seh.”

You do so, trying to match her pronunciation as closely as possible.

“Good enough for now. It means ‘I don’t speak Finvarian. I am from Viuria.’ and you should say it whenever someone here tries to speak with you. I know Cecilia knows Vahr, but its best not to rely on that in faraway towns like this one. If you want, I can teach you more phrases and words in your spare time.”

You nod. This is the first time you’ve really considered how lost someone could be in a foreign country without knowing the local language. Aside from the three of you, its unlikely that there is a single person who knows even a little Viurian, so you are entirely reliant on the Overseer.

“Anyway, let’s get you settled in for the week.”

You follow the Overseer inside and Cecilia is right behind you. The interior of the inn is dusty and filled with old wooden furniture, the only person present is an old man behind the counter. The Overseers spends a few minutes discussing something with him in what you assume to be Finvaria, hands him some coins, obtains two rusty-looking keys and beckons you to follow her to the second floor.

“You and Cecilia are over in that room,” she points to a door on the right of the stairwell “and I am right across the hall. This place is called ‘the Laughing Sparrow’ or Fohr Serhit Dahn in Finvarian. I told the owner you were a Viurian merchant traveling to the capital. We will stay here for the rest of the week, then move on to another town. As I said earlier, I fully intend to keep up with my work in addition to assisting you with your training, which currently means figuring out how human trafficking through the Colviri border worked. So we will be visiting all of the border towns in search of people and information. You shouldn’t concern yourself with that for now, though. Settle in and take an hour to rest from your journey, then meet me in my room at about 13:00. We should spend the rest of today on examining the progress you’ve made in mastering our power and setting up a training plan for the rest of the month, based on your priorities. See you in an hour!”

With that, she disappears into her room, humming a cheerful tune. As you explore the small and dingy room assigned to you and find a place for what little possessions you took with you, you try and reflect on the progress you’ve made thus far and your goals for the near future. If you want a chance at ever being as capable as the current Overseers, you will need to redouble your efforts in training.

Once again, its time to choose your main activity, secondary activity, and how to spend your free time for the month. It’s been awhile, so if you need a refresher on the mechanics of time-management, read the section at the bottom of this post. As always, for your main and secondary activities, you can choose between any of the four power aspects and any ability listed in the second post. As a reminder, you can suggest new abilities at any time, if you describe how what you want can be accomplished through the existing power aspects, and I will add them to the list.

The options for free time this month are:

a) Rest. (Reduces Stress by 5)
b) Spend time with Cecilia.(Provide some conversation topics, different from last time. Reduces Stress by 3)
c) Spend time with Emily. (Provide some conversation topics, different from last time. Reduces Stress by 3)
d) Read An Intricate Machine: Observations on the Nature of the Mind. (Reduces Stress by 2)
e) Read The Other Society. (Reduces Stress by 2)
f) Read Processes of Justice: An Introduction to the Supreme Court. (Reduces Stress by 2)
g) Ask the Overseer to teach you some basic Finvarian. (Reduces Stress by 1)
h) Ask the Overseer and Cecilia to teach you some basic Vahr. (Reduces Stress by 1)
i) Continue your main or secondary activity. (Gain an additional point in the relevant stat. No change in Stress.)

From now on, I will try to get out an update at least once a week, hopefully more, but I make no guarantees.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 23, 2018

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Hell yeah Fancy's back!

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Instead of an aspect can we choose learning the local language as a secondary action?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Main: Physical
Secondary: Conceptual
Free: I, Continue with Physical

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Toughy posted:

Instead of an aspect can we choose learning the local language as a secondary action?

Yes, but keep in mind that this will take a while, so you won't be able to fluently speak it without several months worth of effort.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Free: F

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Free: G

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Main:Physical
Secondary:Conceptual
Free:E

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

All seems fine to me. Learning a language is going to be useful no matter what. Ask if Cecilia and Emily can participate in language training too, if they want to learn as well.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

John_A_Tallon posted:

All seems fine to me. Learning a language is going to be useful no matter what. Ask if Cecilia and Emily can participate in language training too, if they want to learn as well.

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
“It seems you have a good handle on the basics, at least.” the Overseer says after you finish demonstrating what little control of your power you managed to harness over the past half year.

Before this remark, she mostly watched you silently, only offering occasional comments as you did your best to put all aspects of your power to work, showing off conceptual mechanisms, tiny illusions and a short-lasting communication connection. She seemed particularly interested in Overseers’ Evelyn cat sculpture and your own modifications to its behavior, but said little about it.

“I wouldn’t agree with that. I still feel like there’s a lot I don’t understand about most of this. In particular, I can’t reliably do anything with the Physical Aspect.”

“Which is what you want to focus on for this month?”

“That and the Conceptual Aspect. That’s the one I am most interested in, so far.”

“That’s only natural. Who wouldn’t be curious about the forces that control our minds? Some of the others say it’s the most flexible aspect, too. Of course, that claim has been made about all of the four at various times – it’s easier to flex the muscles one uses the most, after all. But that’s enough of that. Ready to get started with today’s training session?”

You nod. Without further prompting, you close your eyes, cover your ears and halt your breath. When you look around the small room again, it takes on the appearance you’ve come to expect -a web of tiny translucent strings connecting everything together.

“As I said, you have a good handle on the basics. You just need to apply them more consistently. I think it would be best to move away from what you’ve been doing before and try to do something else with the same principles. How about this?”

As soon as that question leaves her mouth, the web begins to move. Several strings are tied together into simple loops. As they flit about the room, they pick up several small objects, such as a matchbook, a quill and a pack of playing cards. The objects hang in the air for a moment, but soon rearrange themselves into an odd looking structure – the cards form a small pyramid, with matches sticking out across the perimeter and the quill jutting out from the top, like a feather in a cap.

“I hope you paid careful attention to the individual motions. By the end of the week, I would like you to be able to reproduce this trick in under a minute. You may not be used to it, but I am going to leave you to your own devices for a while and see what progress you can make. You already have all you need. All that’s left is to figure out how to make use of it.”

With that, she turns into her bird form and flies out of the window, leaving you alone with Cecilia, who watches on with mild interest. This is definitely going to be a challenge…

You weren’t able to achieve much in the hours before the Overseer’s return. After a few false starts, you managed to move all of the objects at once, but they always ended up in an awkward pile on the floor, far from the ordered shape of the structure she’d shown you.

On her arrival, the Overseer quickly went over some of your mistakes and gave you a couple of pointers before letting you rest up for the evening session. Apparently, she’d spent the time you were grappling with her challenge on checking up on the town and its residents, assessing the general state of things and looking for changes since her last visit several years ago. From what she’s told you, there are far less people now, despite the town’s comfortable position as a resting place for Colvir and Viuria bound merchants traveling by land.

The rest of the month went by before you could notice it – you spent most of your time on refining your control over the movements of small objects in order to meet the Overseer’s expectations by surpassing her challenges. There were a lot of bumps along that road, but you always managed to succeed eventually, and you learned a lot about the Physical Aspect in the process.

You gained 3 points in the Physical Aspect, raising the total to 7 and advancing to the next rank! You also gained a new ability – Move Small Objects – with 2 points already assigned to it.

There were a few small breaks between challenges, which you took advantage of to further tinker with your sculpture’s conceptual mechanism. The Overseer drew up a list of goals for it to achieve, and you gradually advanced towards implementing them over the course of the month. Nothing exceptional, just a few incremental improvements to make you used to long-term iterative work with the aspect.

You gained 2 points in the Conceptual Aspect and 1 point in the Artificial Construct ability, raising the totals to 17 and 3 respectively.

After the Overseer finished her investigation in Korin’s Mark, the three of you moved to Lendhor, and then to Rehksin, which are other small border towns. These trips were the only times you saw Emily, who spent the month carrying messages between the Overseer and the Supporters’ Guild back in Colvir. Together with her and Cecilia, you listened to the Overseer’s short primers on the Finvarian language, learning its basic sentence structure and some common phrases.

You gained 2 points in Finvarian and 2 points in Layout – Small Finvarian Towns, raising the totals to 3 and 4 respectively.

Overall, you found that this new phase of your training isn’t very different from the old one, and settled into a new routine, making slow but steady progress in the mastery of your power. What should you focus on for next month?

As always, choose what to do for your main and secondary activities, as well as your free time. Your options are identical to last time. Note that your current stress level is 6 (it used to be 2, you gained 5 points and lost 1).

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 27, 2018

• Locked thread