Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

the last episode doesn't have as many songs but the four that it does have are stone cold loving classics. Kashmir, All Along the Watchtower, Bridge over Troubled Water and Let it Be is about as great and representative of Vietnam era music as you can get without including any Dylan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

All Along the Watchtower ... without including any Dylan.

ahem

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

yeah yeah yeah but the hendrix version is the one that plays and is also better than dylan's

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

algebra testes posted:

I remember hating Jazz because of th way it ended and its warm white classicist take on what "jazz is".

I cant remember what the bulk of the series was like though.

For me it seemed determined to give back a lot of credit to Louis Armstrong. And apparently a lot of people hate Wynton Marsalis and blame him for many faults they find in it. Many blame Jazz for "taking over" the subject, complaining that it framed any discussion of the medium as past history. Why wasn't a proper jazz person given the job etc etc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ewe2 posted:

For me it seemed determined to give back a lot of credit to Louis Armstrong. And apparently a lot of people hate Wynton Marsalis and blame him for many faults they find in it. Many blame Jazz for "taking over" the subject, complaining that it framed any discussion of the medium as past history. Why wasn't a proper jazz person given the job etc etc.

It's like if Baseball ended with "and then they added the designated hitter, and that was the end of true baseball."

Which, firstly, yes I agree, but secondly Jazz kinda sucks in that it draws a line in the sand and says "this is the end of jazz" which is bullshit.

edit: I don't have, or recall having problems with like, the preceding 9 episodes but I didn't like the 10th at all.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 4, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I took it as saying they weren't qualified to pronounce on what jazz was doing currently but it was definitely taken that way by purists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

I did a thing. It's an Apple Music playlist of all of the songs from the individual episode lists on the PBS website, 96 in total (it's missing maybe two songs, but one of them is Little Drummer Boy and gently caress that song).

The version of Soul Sacrifice by Santana (at woodstock) used in this film is available on apple music on "The Essential Santana" as "Soul Sacrifice (Live)".

• Locked thread