Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ken Burns The Vietnam War

First episode airs Sunday 9/17 at 8/7 on PBS

Ken Burns – The Vietnam War is, as the name says, Ken Burn’s new documentary about the Vietnam war.
Ken Burns himself really needs no introduction at this point. He has either directed or produced some of the greatest American documentaries of our time. With series such as “The Civil War”, “Baseball”, “Jazz”, “The War” and many others.

“The Vietnam War’ has been in production in various forms since at least 2006, and reunites Burns with Lynn Novick, who worked with Ken Burns on “The War” and “Prohibition”.
The sound track will be composed by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, and I am very excited to see what they do (they won best original score for their work in The Social Network).

I am sorry for the relatively brief OP, as I am at work, but I wanted to let everyone know this was airing and I have been waiting for this documentary for years. It is already getting stellar reviews, and The Washington Post as an excellent article on it:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/opinions/2017/09/14/ken-burns-the-vietnam-war-pbs-documentary-tries-to-unite-america-under-trump/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Been looking forward to this for over a year. I love me some Burns, especially his warfare stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm glad that per the article they'll also be focusing on the North Vietnamese. Mostly in media we see them as black pajama, cone hat wearing, sneaky bad guys instead of actual people fighting a war for their own reasons, it's a real blind spot in American culture. Also we don't do well when it comes to humanizing enemies that we fight in Asia, the dehumanizing narratives (they don't value life like we do, they don't have the same respect for humanity we do) that we applied to the Japanese in WWII were applied just as badly to the Vietnamese. So I'm very interested to hear from former NVA and VC about the war from their perspective, and hopefully it'll help people understand them better.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

zoux posted:

I'm glad that per the article they'll also be focusing on the North Vietnamese. Mostly in media we see them as black pajama, cone hat wearing, sneaky bad guys instead of actual people fighting a war for their own reasons, it's a real blind spot in American culture. Also we don't do well when it comes to humanizing enemies that we fight in Asia, the dehumanizing narratives (they don't value life like we do, they don't have the same respect for humanity we do) that we applied to the Japanese in WWII were applied just as badly to the Vietnamese. So I'm very interested to hear from former NVA and VC about the war from their perspective, and hopefully it'll help people understand them better.

I'd like to see a lot of the Vietnamese side as a a whole, including interviews with former VC, NVA, and ARVN . We tend to forget that the Vietnam war was also a civil war among Vietnamese, and it still splits the community something fierce today.

That said since this is a Ken Burns doc I'm positive he will dedicate time to all sides, in the preview we already see interviews with former NVA soldiers.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

i read in some interview that burns/novick dug up a lot of popular vietnamese music of the time and not only put it in the doco but let some of their vietnamese interview subjects listen to it to jog their memory and they were like "where did you find this song i haven't heard it in decades"

also trent reznor is involved in the score for this one so this is a nice continuation from my former sunday night tv watching in twin peaks

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This will be drat great.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/music/

You can listen to the soundtrack and the original score on spotify and itunes to get you in the mood.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Reviews are coming in and, as expected, they are very good. Many note how this is one of Ken Burn's more depressing films, which is understandable considering the content. Here is a quote from the NYT review:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/arts/television/review-ken-burns-the-vietnam-war-pbs.html?mcubz=3

quote:

But it is probably Mr. Burns’s saddest film. “The Civil War” was mournful, but at least the Union was preserved. “The War” ended with fascism defeated. The war in Vietnam offers no uplift or happy ending. It’s simply decades of bad decision after bad decision, a wasteful vortex that devoured lives for nothing. It was, the narrator Peter Coyote says, “begun in good faith by decent people out of fateful misunderstandings, American overconfidence and Cold War miscalculations.”

I'll probably need to watch a comedy on Netflix after each episode to lift my spirits before bed.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
It's about time this thing aired, KCTS (Seattle) has been airing ads for this for months straight.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
First ep was really good. Like I know The Civil War is a classic and Baseball too but this one just had a momentum, sadness and energy to it I found very compelling

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Why is it jumping back and forth in time? At least they show the year when they do.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Why is it jumping back and forth in time? At least they show the year when they do.

It's definitely a bit jarring. I figured that it was done to provide a connection to the American audience while talking about the French war in the first episode. However they did the same technique in the second episode as well. I'm curious if it will change once we get into the later episodes.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

PowerBuilder3 posted:

déjà vu, it's in the title of the first episode. Americans repeating the same mistakes as the French.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

PowerBuilder3 posted:

because its a good editing technique

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The PAVN were the good guys and this documentary will let them down

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ewe2 posted:

déjà vu, it's in the title of the first episode. Americans repeating the same mistakes as the French.

Yeah, it's a deliberate decision to draw parallels.

By the way the whole thing, in its explicit unaired version, is available on the PBS website. I've finished the first four and it's probably one of he better Burns docs I've seen. I'm not sure if it's just the amount of time since I've watched the others, but this one feels more straightforward and substantive than his other war documentaries.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
ARGH I forgot this started! Now I gotta go buy the Bluray because I don't want to jump in on episode 3.

edit: oh its all on PBS.com? That'll work.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ditto forgetting this had started since watching the preview almost a year ago. Very cool that it's online for cord cutters like me so I don't have to wait a year for Netflix to grab it. And it sounds like the doc presents the politics pretty objectively so I'm hyped to marathon through.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love the soundtrack to this, but I have serious reservations about the interpretation of the causes of the war in the series. They seem to be highly sanitized, perhaps understandably so given that the film was funded by Bank of America and the Koch brothers. See https://mekongreview.com/americas-amnesia/ for a great in-depth review.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Anyone else really irritated that their American history courses ended sometime just after WW2 and didn't say much if anything about the Korean or Vietnam wars? All throughout these episodes I keep thinking, "why wasn't I taught more about this stuff!?"

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

GoluboiOgon posted:

I love the soundtrack to this, but I have serious reservations about the interpretation of the causes of the war in the series. They seem to be highly sanitized, perhaps understandably so given that the film was funded by Bank of America and the Koch brothers. See https://mekongreview.com/americas-amnesia/ for a great in-depth review.
I don't read or watch much history stuff (so Im way out of my depth here) but I have enjoyed the first couple episodes of this so I tried reading this review to better understand the criticism and I dunno how you can give that thing much stock when it tries so intentionally to miss-represent what its criticizing

quote:

By Episode Two, “Riding the Tiger” (1961-1963), we are heading deep into Burns territory. The war has been framed as a civil war, with the United States defending a freely elected democratic government in the south against Communists invading from the north. American boys are fighting a godless enemy that Burns shows as a red tide creeping across maps of Southeast Asia and the rest of the world.
This is a loving absurd reading of what is in that episode. The doco mentions basically everything the author then goes on to say in trying to refute their bizarre interpretation.

am I totally off here or is that criticism no where near as damning as its trying to come off as ? I guess I'll keep reading but its a fucken slog so far...

Qmass fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 20, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Qmass posted:

am I totally off here or is that criticism no where near as damning as its trying to come off as ? I guess I'll keep reading but its a fucken slog so far...

Was gonna post the exact same thing.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
That particular article quote was pretty far off from the message I got watching the series. That said, I think one individual does use the term "civil war" in one of the interviews. If you believe we're supposed to accept that statement uncritically, then perhaps you can reach the article's interpretation of the documentary. Maybe. The documentary never stated nor implied that South Vietnam was anything even remotely democratic.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 20, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I thought they said something along the lines of "the conflict between the north and the french supporters in the south divided families like a civil war" not that it was a civil war, if that differentiation makes sense.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
The article is very academic, so some of their dispute is over silly things like whether the Vietnam war should be classified as a colonial war or a civil war, which is pretty irrelevant imo. The review points out multiple omissions from the documentary, such as the role of the CIA in Diem's takeover and the formation of the South Vietnamese state. He also points out that many of the people interviewed on the US side were deeply complicit in the shady business of the war. It's hard to assess his review without seeing the entire series yet though.

Personally, my issue stems from the summation in the beginning of episode 1: "The war was started with the best of intentions." The intentions behind the entry of the US into the war, as presented in the documentary, are entirely about anti-communism and the domino theory. If anti-communism was well-intentioned, then you have to claim that the bay of pigs coup attempt was well-intentioned, and that all of the McCarthy witch hunts of political enemies were acceptable. This opinion is very right wing, and I think completely goes against the lessons of Vietnam. In fact, Vietnam almost completely disproved the domino theory, as fighting communism in Vietnam resulting in communism spreading not only in Vietnam, but also Cambodia and Laos, which may never have happened if the US had held a referendum on reunification or never deployed ground troops. Anti-communism in Vietnam only led to the creation of a series of puppet dictatorships and widespread death and devastation.

Also, in episode 3, their account of the Gulf of Tonkin episode is very different from wikipedia, and seems to leave out the role of the intelligence communtity in muddying the waters as to what happened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_incident

GoluboiOgon fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 20, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Solkanar512 posted:

Anyone else really irritated that their American history courses ended sometime just after WW2 and didn't say much if anything about the Korean or Vietnam wars? All throughout these episodes I keep thinking, "why wasn't I taught more about this stuff!?"

I don't know how old you are, but I started high school in the late '90s and it covered those things a bit but definitely not in depth. I think people of that generation were still trying to figure the events out for themselves. For those textbooks of that era pretty much everything post WWII was almost like an afterthought because it was almost as if even though it was history it was so fresh they hadn't really gotten a good handle on how to approach them in a classroom setting. The exception being major cultural touchstones like Kennedy, MLK, and so forth.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GoluboiOgon posted:

yeah it's burns' usual uncritical revisionism

GoluboiOgon posted:

The article is very academic, so some of their dispute is over silly things like whether the Vietnam war should be classified as a colonial war or a civil war, which is pretty irrelevant imo.

that's not silly or irrelevant at all. in fact it's impossible to understand the war without discussing its origins in anti-colonial struggle

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 20, 2017

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah it's burns' usual uncritical revisionism

What are you talking about? At no point does the Documentary, at least in the first three episodes state that the war against the French was anything more than an anti-colonial struggle, or that the South Vietnamese government was anything other than horribly corrupt and authoritarian. I don't get how people can say it is "sanitized" it is very, very critical of the U.S. involvement. The scenes showing U.S. troops burning down that village remain as heart wrenching today as they did 50 years ago.

If anything, the Documentary (so far) goes light on the Northern government. Barely mentioning the thousands that were executed during land reforms. However I can over look this in the context that Ken Burns's focus is on the American involvement in Vietnam, and for that you have to focus on the South.

One thing I found interesting was the number of former Vietminh he interviewed, that ended up fighting for the south. I had always assumed the Viet-Minh were solidly communists but it really was a big tent organization against the French.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that's not silly or irrelevant at all. in fact it's impossible to understand the war without discussing its origins in anti-colonial struggle

Good thing they spend like the entire first episode talking about it, then.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I think the real argument of that review is more about the detail from the Pentagon Papers than the documentary per se, although they then go on to admit that those details are present in the book on the series. Perhaps Koch didn't sponsor that? It wasn't good criticism, it had as much an agenda as its target.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

ewe2 posted:

it had as much an agenda as its target.
This is exactly the conclusion I came to after reading it all. It felt so much like they had an axe to grind when their biggest complaints were about not identifying certain people, including some of the financing, as the horrible shits they (the review author) believe them to be.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

X-O posted:

By the way the whole thing, in its explicit unaired version, is available on the PBS website. I've finished the first four and it's probably one of he better Burns docs I've seen. I'm not sure if it's just the amount of time since I've watched the others, but this one feels more straightforward and substantive than his other war documentaries.

I was watching via the app because I can't pause live TV but I only see the Broadcast version. WTH?

Edit: Nevermind, i got to listen to LBJ curse like a sailor

PBS's app isn't the best designed but who cares, i care about content with them.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 21, 2017

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

X-O posted:

I don't know how old you are, but I started high school in the late '90s and it covered those things a bit but definitely not in depth. I think people of that generation were still trying to figure the events out for themselves. For those textbooks of that era pretty much everything post WWII was almost like an afterthought because it was almost as if even though it was history it was so fresh they hadn't really gotten a good handle on how to approach them in a classroom setting. The exception being major cultural touchstones like Kennedy, MLK, and so forth.

Yeah, I graduated '01 and that makes a lot of sense to me.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Haha how loving absurd was the brass band playing while airstrikes were raining down on the other end of the valley?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

X-O posted:

I'm from an earlier generation and had to learn about the French experience in Vietnam myself, and that's just Australia. I can't imagine how difficult it would be for American classrooms. Australia had a similar very slow public awakening to what Vietnam was about from our perspective, and we didn't get around to doing the marches and moratoriums until the early 70's.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I could have sworn I just heard god save the queen on the piano in the second episode, what on earth?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Popelmon posted:

Haha how loving absurd was the brass band playing while airstrikes were raining down on the other end of the valley?
I just got to this part and had to go back and make sure I hadn't dreamt what I just saw... we want to assure you peasants that we are hear to save you, by showing you a waking nightmare.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Qmass posted:

I just got to this part and had to go back and make sure I hadn't dreamt what I just saw... we want to assure you peasants that we are hear to save you, by showing you a waking nightmare.

Apocalypse Now was a documentary.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Was it my PBS station, or for a number of minutes in the last two episodes the narration was overlaid twice? You could hear a low volume one, offset in time, from the main narration? I swore at one point Peter Coyote was clearing his throat or laughing or something before resuming the narration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I could have sworn I just heard god save the queen on the piano in the second episode, what on earth?

If you turn on closed captioning, it says, "My Country 'Tis of Thee". Different words to mock the original.

• Locked thread