Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

X-O posted:

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of Ken Burns in the first place, honestly what I've heard are some of his best stuff like Baseball or Prohibition, I've not seen. His Civil War is fine but I didn't really dig his WWII doc at all. I feel this documentary is going a little more for historical substance than I've seen him do before. I'm not done yet but I'm leaning right now towards this being one of the definitive documentaries on this war. I'm not sure I put it up there with The Great War (1964) or World at War (1973), but it's a lot closer to those than something The War that he put out 10 years ago.

The War is his worst doc by far.

Watch The National Parks or The Roosevelt's and see how he can take much more mundane subjects than wars and make them absolutely riveting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
There is a soundtrack available that includes all of the amazing music featured in the doc.

A lot of the music featured is the music I grew up with since my dad was still listening to it in the 80's and 90's with the advent of CDs. It makes the doc even more special to me because it ties me, a 32 year old born well after the war was over, to that era. Knowing that this time of social and political upheaval was the era of my parents' coming of age. Hearing a song like "Turn Turn Turn" or "The Letter" during the doc absolutely brings me to tears.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Here is the track listing for The Vietnam War:

A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall – Bob Dylan
Hello Vietnam – Johnnie Wright
It’s My Life – Animals
Eve of Destruction – Barry McGuire
Turn Turn Turn – Byrds
Masters of War – Staple Singers
Mustang Sally – Wilson Pickett
Smokestack Lightning – Howlin’ Wolf
Backlash Blues – Nina Simone
The Sounds of Silence – Simon & Garfunkel
One Too Many Mornings – Bob Dylan
Ain’t Too Proud to Beg – Temptations
Are You Experienced? – Jimi Hendrix Experience
I’m a Man – Spencer Davis Group
Green Onions – Booker T and the MG’s
Strange Brew – Cream
Waist Deep in the Big Muddy – Pete Seeger
A Whiter Shade of Pale – Procol Harum
The Lord Is In This Place – Fairport Convention
For What It’s Worth – Buffalo Springfield
Don’t Think Twice – Bob Dylan
Piece of My Heart – Big Brother
Magic Carpet Ride – Steppenwolf
The Letter – Box Tops
Bad Moon Rising – Creedence Clearwater Revival
Soul Sacrifice – Santana
Tell the Truth – Otis Redding
Okie From Muskogee – Merle Haggard
The Thrill Is Gone – B.B. King
Psychedelic Shack – Temptations
Ohio – Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Get Together – Youngbloods
Gimme Shelter – Rolling Stones
Tail Dragger – Link Wray
America the Beautiful – Ray Charles
What’s Going On – Marvin Gaye
Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel
Let It Be – Beatles

God drat is that good. Half of the songs aren't available through Apple Music if you play The Vietnam War soundtrack, but I just made a playlist and added them all individually.

The ones that particularly just rip my heart out are Turn Turn Turn, The Sound of Silence, A Whiter Shade of Pale, Ohio, Get Together, and of course Bridge Over Troubled Water and Let It Be.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
In the last episode, the reveal of some of these veterans joining the anti-war movement after how proudly and unashamedly they seemed to talk about joining the Army/Marines and their experiences over there was just shocking. Particularly Ehrhart's story about seeing the iconic Kent State photo in the newspaper and breaking down in tears as he sat on a curb and deciding right then and there that he was anti-war.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 27, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's really easy to say "how come they didn't talk about this" but realistically, this documentary could be 50 hours and still not cover everything.

I read today that the original script only mentioned the Kent State shooting in passing as part of the violence ramping up stateside. Then Ken Burns was invited to speak at KSU and saw the memorial and the small exhibit about the victims and the event and was convinced it had to be a much larger part of the doc. Part of what convinced him was that haunting audio of the professor begging the students to disperse. That gave me chills.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Captain Hindsight to the rescue!

Anyways, I noticed something in the doc that kinda made me chuckle (to keep from being angry). The one black vet talked about the flying of the Confederate flag (which was oddly topical in our current state of affairs) by the troops in Vietnam. A completely different Vet talked about how he understood the protesters and why they were so angry but he was pissed that they were flying the NLF flag. :irony:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I agree I cringed at the line when Ken Burns said American leaders went into Vietnam with the best of intentions. Since it clearly appears they didn't really care much about the well being of the country so much as using it as a chess piece on the great cold war chessboard. There was even an American diplomat who was quoted saying as much.

That said, some of these people are extremely complicated figures. LBJ in particular. Here is a man that on one hand signed civil rights legislation, and promoted an expansion of the well-fare state in the Great Society, yet abroad was directing a war that would end up killing millions of people. You can see how this morally devastated people like McNamara at the end. Then you have Nixon who merely used the war to further his own political ambitions..

Yeah it really made me wonder how great LBJ's legacy would be if it weren't for Vietnam.

Conversely, how bad would JFK's legacy be if he had survived and been reelected and inevitably escalated the war himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spatula City posted:

This whole thing has me extremely terrified that stunningly amoral villains currently running the US will do their utmost to pursue a path of war with either North Korea or Iran. It's not only that no lessons were learned, it's that Republican politicians and government figures are proud of their refusal to learn anything about history, and their rejection of reality.

It also makes me furious at boosters of war - not the cynical military-industrial-complex bastards, but the sincere ones. The ones who really believe it's about freedom, and not profit and ego. They WANT troops to die. They want sacrifices. It's absolutely chilling.

If you want some hope, just think of how organized and prevalent the anti-war movement was 50+ years ago and then think of how much more organized it would be in 2017.

• Locked thread