Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
all the veterans are amazing in this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I am an "old" goon born in 1968 and grew up with other kids that had veteran dads as well as some that lost theirs. I still don't have the heart to ask my own pops (pathfinder 101st, 1966-67) on what he thinks of this so far but I'm sure he'll bring it up next time I visit. He's not in very good shape now at 73 (substance abuse/smoking) and has been surrounded by and gets all his "opinion" news from retired prison guards and freepers in the crappy California central valley town my folks ended up in. :smith:

When I was growing up he always had a full collection of Vietnam history books and was a huge fan of the Caputo/O'Brien books and similar as well as later with books like Sheehan's "Bright Shining Lie" so I know until a few years ago he would have liked the tone of this show but I honestly have no idea now. He went through a long time between the mid-70's when he tossed out his medals and boxed up the pictures to early 2000's where he went through the paperwork to get them back, pulled out the pictures and began to deal with his experiences. He did finally dump out a bunch of stuff to my mother and I after he hadn't slept for 2 days after open heart surgery back in 2009 and you can imagine it's some of the worst poo poo imaginable. On the other had, I think the 2000's wars really brought out the remaining Vietnam vets (they are dropping fast) and gave them guys they could talk to and could offer support to these poor young guys going through 5+ tours. The Vietnam vets definitely didn't talk much about what they went through with their WW2 veteran fathers for the most part.

I'm only through ep 6 but I am going to assume they are going to get through horrible wasteful poo poo like Operation Ripcord in 1970 pretty soon.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 28, 2017

• Locked thread