Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«20 »
Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm still not sure why the reversal happened. The US/Japan schemes used to be the same, up until the middle of the PS1 generation when they diverged. It's not like there's some legacy reason for it... the legacy was to leave it the way it was.

I'll admit my theory as to why is purely conjecture on my part; I haven't seen anything anywhere that backs it up. It's why I'd have done it if it were my decision. One thing I'm pretty certain of, though, is that whatever the reason, it will not have been done arbitrarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

If Godzilla can do it, you know I can deliver!

I'm curious about what sort of software development strategies do game devs use? Agile, Scrum, Waterfall?

Do you guys do test driven development? What about code reviews?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

CommieGIR posted:

I'm curious about what sort of software development strategies do game devs use? Agile, Scrum, Waterfall?

Varies greatly by org. Agile is common, as is agilefall.

Code reviews are pretty common. Tests in game code are sadly uncommon. Lots of architectural practices abandoned elsewhere years ago, like extensive [often exclusively for all state] use of singletons, is prevalent.

Jira looms over dev just like everywhere else in software.

Git is coming into wider use. I’m currently stuck on perforce; our rep seemed surprised to learn that our code was still managed by p4, so I expect a bunch of other groups have switched to a hybrid versioning system with p4 handling art and git handling code (p4 rep went into a whole thing on their solution at me, as they do).

So basically it’s broken in similar ways as every other software shop. With the addition of perforce being the ‘legacy’ vcs instead of cvs.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

leper khan posted:

Varies greatly by org. Agile is common, as is agilefall.

Code reviews are pretty common. Tests in game code are sadly uncommon. Lots of architectural practices abandoned elsewhere years ago, like extensive [often exclusively for all state] use of singletons, is prevalent.

Jira looms over dev just like everywhere else in software.

Git is coming into wider use. I’m currently stuck on perforce; our rep seemed surprised to learn that our code was still managed by p4, so I expect a bunch of other groups have switched to a hybrid versioning system with p4 handling art and git handling code (p4 rep went into a whole thing on their solution at me, as they do).

So basically it’s broken in similar ways as every other software shop. With the addition of perforce being the ‘legacy’ vcs instead of cvs.

Does git have issues handling non-code asset files? I'm a developer but I don't work in games, the few Unity projects I have done on my off time are all on git and it has never complained about large assets/textures. I imagine it's a little complicated handling your code and your other assets in separate version control systems.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Fano posted:

Does git have issues handling non-code asset files? I'm a developer but I don't work in games, the few Unity projects I have done on my off time are all on git and it has never complained about large assets/textures. I imagine it's a little complicated handling your code and your other assets in separate version control systems.

Git-lfs has made it much better, but it still has issues handling lots of large binaries.

For small/medium size projects it’s not a big deal.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

Lots of architectural practices abandoned elsewhere years ago, like extensive [often exclusively for all state] use of singletons, is prevalent.

Can anyone expand on this? I read somewhere that ECS was the prevalent way of doing things (as opposed to MVC like most of the rest of the dev universe) and my slight experience with Unity seemed to confirm that. What are the major developer differences between games and other industries?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

As with most places it varies. Agile or Agilefall as above is most common. Some where it's a 1 week 'sprint' with you and your lead saying here's whats next. (Not even Kanban just this is your focus this week.)

TDD is very rare but tests are more common. If it's a mobile game or MMO tests are more common both because of the increased complexity, the clear delineation of concerns, and the type of engineer that is hired for a backend is the type that tend to write tests. However I also was chatting with a friend recently who has been in the industry for the past 18 years and he mentioned that he's never been at a place that wrote tests including his own start-ups so YMMV.

Code-Reviews are almost universal but almost all are just rubber ducking. My current place does automated tooling of which I have mixed feelings.

My biggest annoyance is that DI on the client isn't really a thing still in most places leading to those drat god classes. Backend wise it's far more normal though.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Is there a better or more current resource for realtime tactical AI than F.E.A.R.'s papers? My impression from playing recent FPS efforts is no, but I have only worked at indie studios and so don't feel like I have enough perspective to say either way.

That AI developer seems to have moved on to actual AI research, so I'm a little puzzled as to the current situation.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Is there a better or more current resource for realtime tactical AI than F.E.A.R.'s papers? My impression from playing recent FPS efforts is no, but I have only worked at indie studios and so don't feel like I have enough perspective to say either way.

That AI developer seems to have moved on to actual AI research, so I'm a little puzzled as to the current situation.

The state of the art is captured pretty well in the Game AI Pro series. The first two are available for free, the third still costs money but will be free eventually.

I haven't read the chapter but Killzone's AI is quite highly regarded for an FPS, that might be a good place to start. The Last of Us stuff I have read, and it's really good.

TacticianMagician
Aug 19, 2009

I claimed this title entirely by lurking around and not having a life. Woo!

This thread is incredible and I'm so glad I found it as I'm just starting my own dev journey

KingBomber69
Feb 24, 2018

I'd consider being a game designer.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Make way for the Urinal Parade.

You're hired!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

KingBomber69 posted:

I'd consider being a game designer.

But, do you have ideas??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Is there a reason why all these delay announcements are happening right now? In a big wave, I mean.

«20 »