Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«47 »
dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Big K of Justice posted:

One side effect of WFH is finding out the house i"m renting has insufficient wiring for amperage and lazy contractors piggybacked too many rooms on one circuit. A bunch of workstations, dev kit + TV's and monitors in one room overwhelm a residential 15Amp circuit pretty drat quick.

Interesting. I donít work on the game dev side of the industry myself so I know very little about dev kits. I assumed they were top secret, stay in a faraday cage in a room type deals, and certainly not something you would be able to take home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

I think things have changed a lot over time but it did used to be kind of like that. I suspect you still get bosses that are incredibly protective of kit.

One of the earliest dev jobs I had (a bit over 15 years ago) we had to unhook all the PS2 kits and put them in a fireproof safe whenever we locked up the office. The boss always said it was in the Sony contract but that was horseshit because at the previous job we just left the kits on people's desks.

Nintendo used to get antsy if you signed up as a dev house from an address that was not an actual office address, but I don't imagine them being so hung up on that since the surge of indie titles on their last few consoles.

The main thing I'm noticing with WFH is the enormous increase in my electricity bill, and lack of aircon.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You walk in with the Turnips, you leave with the Bells.

Devkits have lots of stipulations in their contracts, but it's worse for unreleased consoles, and I think it was worse in the past. The first devs to get the PS3 devkits had a ton of weird poo poo they had to do for security. MagicLeap had a bunch of rules too like you had to keep it in a locked room with these types of locks and that style of security cameras and crap.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Grimey Drawer

They also cost between $5,000-$10,000 each depending on which one it is, and most standard business insurance will not cover an employee lugging that much kit to and fro. If you crash your car on the way to work and break one, that's a hefty bill to replace that your insurance will not help with. That alone is usually enough to make most managers rather twitchy. Besides, with decent broadband these days you can remote dev PS4/xbox devkits from home while they stay in the office as long as there's someone there to occasionally reboot something when it locks up good.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

I'll say this COVID rendered a bunch of old practices kinda moot. I'm looking forward to WFH forever at this point, I'll just have to make sure I have a dedicated room and sufficient internet.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 2, 2020

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Big K of Justice posted:

I'll say this COVID rendered a bunch of old practices kinda moot. I'm looking forward to WFH forever at this point, I'll just have to make sure I have a dedicated room and sufficient internet.

This. Let me also tell you what a pain in the rear end it is getting VPN setup for a console devkit at home.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Big K of Justice posted:

I already have a coworker railing against WFH with the argument that it's not possible to police your staff to a satisfactory amount. I had a coworker with similar opinions at my last job. Somehow both these people are just regular non-management workers whose work is 0% affected by the coworkers whose productivity they are worried about.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

What is hiring looking like right now? I just graduated and normally I would have felt pretty good about my odds of getting a job but in the year of our lord 2020 I have no clue

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Big K of Justice posted:

Yep, one of my guys was like, "BTW: I'll be WFH 3000 miles in November." and my only reply was, "Ok. In theory we're back in the office then but ok."

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

What is hiring looking like right now? I just graduated and normally I would have felt pretty good about my odds of getting a job but in the year of our lord 2020 I have no clue

Hiring like mad, but mid/sr/principal/lead only atm I'm afraid.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

We put on a freeze at the start until we had more clarity, but listings are back up. My department brought in 4 new hires over the wfh time and that's probably more than most because we had those interviews rolling before poo poo went bad. I need 1-3 more headcount on my team specifically over the next few years but I probably won't have anyone until early next year at this rate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Assuming you are american, do not apply in Japan, currently, the border lockout is no joke and there are people in 6+ month holding patterns due to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 30, 2016

Hmm. Unfortunate! But also yeah I wasn't gonna apply internationally, I've had a job as an essential worker this whole time so I'm gonna stay in my designated containment country.

I asked like, a full year ago what a popular entry-level job opening was and so I'd been looking into Environment Artist jobs and at the time I noticed there were an absolute ton. but now the numbers are way thinner

«47 »