Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

"I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep my expectations."
-Bill Watterson

Bean posted:

Okay, so. Out here in quarantine, I'd like to try making a game. I'm a baby programmer. Years ago, I used Game Maker. I'm mostly interested in 2D stuff like jrpgs and action games. I thought maybe I'd try unity, but it seems to be geared more towards 3D.

Should I look into Game Maker 2, Unity, or something else?

You can definitely 100% make 2D games in Unity, no worries there. I quite like it for 2D development.

Things like Game Maker or even RPG Maker would let you get further without having to learn more programming and get stuck up in the programming. Although that said, Unity being so popular means there's lots of tutorials and lots of marketplace content, so if you can find (ideally free) modules you can use existing work and not have to do as much code yourself.

That said, we just recently had a big discussion in the game development thread about how RPGs are kind of a pain in the rear end to build because there's so much menus and you have to be careful about your turn-based state machine and consistency of the design.

Its not really because RPGs are especially hard to make, but more because there's just so much content out there for FPS or 3rd person character platformers, you can basically create one of those games without ever writing a line of code. By comparison, an RPG... you need to know your programming.

So... if you don't wanna learn programming and want to make an RPG, see if RPG maker can get you to what you want IMO. Otherwise you're going to be spending time learning programming and not spending time working on your RPG.

A 2D Zelda-like game in Unity isn't too hard to throw together (I did it myself last year)
I haven't worked with Game Maker but I do think its pretty popular, but Unity is obviously mega popular too.

Check out these threads regularly:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=2692947
https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3506853
you'll learn a lot just following the threads of conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Unity Hub has some example projects for RPG stuff too, alongside all the Learn stuff being free now.

RPG Maker still relies on RGSS/Ruby for extending it past the basics though I don't think it's quite as bad as it used to be for that.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

I like gamemaker 2 its great for learning how to program. Though while it's quick to get something up and running it's not so good with plug and play assets. If you want something you have to make it yourself.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The 'blood babe with the silicone chest, 200-dollar haircut, and a closet full of the latest fashions.

If anyone bought the BLM mega-pack that itch.io put out a few months ago you own a poo poo ton of tile sets and sprites you may have forgotten about. It's 59 pages of projects and just going through randomly every page has at least two asset packs.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Bean posted:

Okay, so. Out here in quarantine, I'd like to try making a game. I'm a baby programmer. Years ago, I used Game Maker. I'm mostly interested in 2D stuff like jrpgs and action games. I thought maybe I'd try unity, but it seems to be geared more towards 3D.

Should I look into Game Maker 2, Unity, or something else?

Take a look at Godot https://godotengine.org/ Kinda right in-between GameMaker and Unity complexity-wise, but with an interface and scripting language (or visual scripting) I prefer over the other two or C#. It's a pleasure to work in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAbG8Oi-SvQ