Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The best was back in the day when there weren't separated dev environments for downloadable games, so you could just download any Big Console Live Arcade game with Monopoly money and play the living poo poo out of it in the office while you were there till 7am in case QA found a must fix in the build you got them at midnight that had to be on the west coast by noon if you wanted jobs next month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

more falafel please posted:

The best was back in the day when there weren't separated dev environments for downloadable games, so you could just download any Big Console Live Arcade game with Monopoly money and play the living poo poo out of it in the office while you were there till 7am in case QA found a must fix in the build you got them at midnight that had to be on the west coast by noon if you wanted jobs next month
This gangtag is now extremely unsurprising

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I can't really fathom why the Big Console A devkit is like that, it looks like a prop from some Star Trek episode. So did the previous generation one, but at least that one had a reasonable shape. But my "favorite" in terms of things like cooling is Last-Gen Console C, which if you've ever encountered it, will recognize as a big boxy brown monstrosity made out of the cheapest folded metal available, with ports and lights on the front like it came straight out of the 60s, and a fan so loud you have to turn the whole thing off between test runs lest the noise drive you insane.

Since I'm not a cool kid anymore I can't tell what you're referring to but surely it's not as bad as the PS3 CEB-2000? https://www.retroreversing.com/official-playStation3-devkit We used to surround that thing with Studio grade egg-shell sound proofing it was so loud.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The future of crustacean-based warfare

Hughlander posted:

Since I'm not a cool kid anymore I can't tell what you're referring to but surely it's not as bad as the PS3 CEB-2000? https://www.retroreversing.com/official-playStation3-devkit We used to surround that thing with Studio grade egg-shell sound proofing it was so loud.

Everything I've heard leads me to believe that one is worse, but I never had a chance to work personally with it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

thebardyspoon posted:

Out of curiosity, are there rules about those dev kits not being allowed at employees homes and stuff?

That went out the window with covid. It went from “leads/need to have people only” to “please come pick up your workstation and devkit to take home” which seemed to happen overnight.

There were a few odd edge cases with some people with room mates and such … security issues but it was dealt with. [Meaning planning ahead, eg, putting physical locks on devkits, asking the employee to keep it in a locked room, etc]

Some places tried doing remote play or vpn access to kits but that suuuuucked. A lot of studios didn’t have the bandwidth to deal with that.

There’s still issues with wfh devkits… mostly do you ship one to a junior/new employee? Who may quit and sell the unit and go gently caress it? It depends …

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 31, 2021

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Hughlander posted:

That's the one I was talking about rack-mounting. I miss the foot pedal though.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Big K of Justice posted:

There were a few odd edge cases with some people with room mates and such … security issues but it was dealt with.

Not ominous at all. noooo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Big K of Justice posted:

There’s still issues with wfh devkits… mostly do you ship one to a junior/new employee? Who may quit and sell the unit and go gently caress it? It depends …
Whaaaat. This never even occurred to me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Big K of Justice posted:

A PS5 devkit did show up on eBay pretty recently, so something like that may have happened

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2021/08/06/ps5-dev-kit-ebay/

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Big K of Justice posted:

I'd assume the first party would go to the police / FBI and come down on the person like the fist of an angry god? All sorts of things about Industrial Espionage and Trade Secrets...

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Get into shit, let it out like diarrhea
Got burnt once, that was only gonorrhea

what are they so paranoid about, someone using the ability to run unsigned code to break copy protection?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hughlander posted:

I'd assume the first party would go to the police / FBI and come down on the person like the fist of an angry god? All sorts of things about Industrial Espionage and Trade Secrets...

Don't forget theft. Pretty sure the kits are still owned by first party and licensed for use?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

It's pretty amazing watching game studios try to come to terms with levels.fyi being accurate for comp. :unsmith:

No, I'm not surprised I'm the fifth person you've talked to that doesn't want to take a role for 30-40% of current comp.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
:toot:

Share salary numbers all day erryday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 13, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Hi! I have several stupid questions and what better place to ask stupid questions than the Something Awful forums!

So UE4... I saw some videos online that show it has a "blueprint" programming system for dummies who can't code that is drag and drop. Since what I'm wanting to make in concept is fairly simplistic (simple arcade style action FPS, boomer shooter sort of poo poo) I imagine this would be an easy way for someone like me to quickly work up an optimal primary gameplay loop to build a game around. However once this basic build is laid out is it possible then go in and fine tune the code to exact specifications? I know UE4 is base C++ but I'm old and can barely program in BASIC, and I want to see my concepts come to life.

Also I have some questions about UE4s renderer. Is it possible to have certain lines between vertices on a model be assigned a neon like glow rather than trying to use a shader through UV mapping without making the entire model a wireframe? I've seen some games do similar stuff with models but it would really help with the aesthetic I have chosen for this concept. If it is possible is it easy to do or require a ton of programming and code execution that would complicate things? I do want to make sure this game is highly optimized so people with lower end PCs can play it.

That's all I have for now but throughout the process I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions as I journey towards my goal of having Yahtzee Croshaw call me a bell end on Zero Punctuation. Thanks in advance!