Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the only practical application of blockchain I've seen is to pay for things that are illegal, which isn't necessarily wrong, like drug sales and sex work are still gonna happen and laws against them just make the whole thing more dangerous for people involved and take resources away from law enforcement actions that would actually improve society (imagine if all the money spent on vice departments was spent on investigating and prosecuting wage theft and OSHA violations?) But beyond that, it's just ponzi schemes.

Even for illegal actions, you're creating a permanent transfer record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Discendo Vox posted:

Even for illegal actions, you're creating a permanent transfer record.

Ehh, the feds haven't caught on to all the uranium I've sold to Iran via Bitcoin.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

more falafel please posted:

For all its problems, DNS is actually an example of a decentralized global database system that actually works.

With DNS you pay money (gass) to create (mint) a record "foo" so everyone know "foo.com" is yours.

The difference is DNS is hierarchical and blockchain is P2P, but other than that the difference is neligible.

Ugh. I just made a post about NFT's. I am now uglier and more boring than it was previrusly possible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The hierarchical aspect makes all the difference. It’s the reason you don’t have to get every DNS user on the planet to verify your record. It’s the reason you can recover names if they get hijacked.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

The hierarchical aspect makes all the difference. It’s the reason you don’t have to get every DNS user on the planet to verify your record. It’s the reason you can recover names if they get hijacked.

In the olden days it was pseudo peer to peer. Secondary dns records was asking a friend at another ISP “Can you hold my secondary NS for me?”

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah but even then it was peers in a way that didn't require a small banana republic's energy output just to verify one transaction.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The basic shapes in 3D modeling and rendering software are like sphere, cube, cylinder, donut, and teapot. Why teapot?

I assume because it's a recognizable symmetrical 3D shape that can easily be expressed as a formula. But you could say that for like a mug or a spoon. I found a wikipedia article about the history of the model but I still don't get its prevelance. Did no one else come up with and publicly release models of like bottle caps or something?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 14, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

For the most part it's really just a meme. It was one of the first 3D representations of a fairly complex object, and people coming after used it as sort of an unofficial benchmark to show off what their own implementations could do. It's got a few aspects useful for that purpose like smooth alternating curves, hollow parts, and casting shadows on itself but really a lot of shapes could do for that purpose. The teapot just happened to be first and people ran with it. Hell, in my university 3D course we recreated the thing from scratch by slapping coordinates into matlab to demonstrate the basic principles of 3D object representations.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 13, 2022

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

The basic shapes in 3D modeling and rendering software are like sphere, cube, cyllinder, donut, and teapot. Why teapot?

I assume because it's a recognizable symmetrical 3D shape that can easily be expressed as a formula. But you could say that for like a mug or a spoon. I found a wikipedia article about the history of the model but I still don't get its prevelance. Did no one else come up with and publicaly release models of like bottle caps or something?

It's sort of the same reason people use the Wilhelm Scream in movies still. At this point, if you use it, it's clear you did so intentionally and as a reference to that thing's history.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Heran Bago posted:

The basic shapes in 3D modeling and rendering software are like sphere, cube, cyllinder, donut, and teapot. Why teapot?

I assume because it's a recognizable symmetrical 3D shape that can easily be expressed as a formula. But you could say that for like a mug or a spoon. I found a wikipedia article about the history of the model but I still don't get its prevelance. Did no one else come up with and publicaly release models of like bottle caps or something?

It's a relatively simple curve-based model that hits all the essential edge cases to test your 90s lighting model and then some. As for alternatives, Blender, notably, uses a monkey head instead.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
There's also the Stanford bunny, there's a Chinese dragon of some type that was used a fair bit, probably others. Remember that a lot of computer graphics innovation comes out of academic research (these days also out of film and games studios, but the researchers there often publish in academic journals too!) and if you're publishing a paper to show off your shiny new renderer with cheaper, more realistic transparency or whatever then you want a set of well known benchmarks so that everyone reading the article can easily compare it with other similar work, look at known problem areas and so on. Once a couple are established in the early days then they get used forever just out of habit and maintaining a sort of backwards compatibility. And occasionally a new benchmark gets introduced if there's some massive innovation that the old ones don't do a good job of demonstrating.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The bunny and dragon and most others serve different test purposes from the teapot, while Blender's monkey is very much used as a replacement.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I have no idea where to ask so I'll ask here.

My girlfriend asked me about investing in Fig portfolio shares. Apparently they're a sort of micro-invest kickstarter, where you don't just fund a game by buying it but buying shares into it. Fig apparently were the funding mechanism behind Psychonauts 2 and Outer Wilds. Now they are seeking for investors not in a specific project, but in a package of them -- sort of like a game development fund. She is interested and she's asking me for advice but I'm struggling with anything.

Anyone heard about this? Any opinions?

https://republic.com/fig-portfolio?utm_source=newsletter_fig&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=fps_public&follow=true

I think the entire proposition is a little bit odd. But then again I wouln't have predicted the success of crowdfunding in general, either. If I read their pitch correctly, they haven't funded anything or anything profitable since 2019 which I don't understand.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have no idea where to ask so I'll ask here.

My girlfriend asked me about investing in Fig portfolio shares. Apparently they're a sort of micro-invest kickstarter, where you don't just fund a game by buying it but buying shares into it. Fig apparently were the funding mechanism behind Psychonauts 2 and Outer Wilds. Now they are seeking for investors not in a specific project, but in a package of them -- sort of like a game development fund. She is interested and she's asking me for advice but I'm struggling with anything.

Anyone heard about this? Any opinions?

https://republic.com/fig-portfolio?utm_source=newsletter_fig&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=fps_public&follow=true

I think the entire proposition is a little bit odd. But then again I wouln't have predicted the success of crowdfunding in general, either. If I read their pitch correctly, they haven't funded anything or anything profitable since 2019 which I don't understand.

Is she coming at this because she sees it as a great investment vehicle (it isn't) or is her goal to support developers? If it's the latter I guess go wild but she should probably take a look at the expected returns. My guess is that she'd be sitting with who knows how much money in some project that barely breaks even 4 years late and she just gets back pretty much what she put into it and doesn't get any of the upside that money could have been generating in a passive index ETF over that time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Game development is extremely risky, even for well-known franchises and studios.

It's also worth noting that Psychonauts 2 was not funded solely by Fig, and in fact got the majority of its money elsewhere. Fig was a way for them to build hype and get sales money earlier, but the amount they asked for ($3.3 million) is nowhere near enough money to make the game. That'd pay for, what, maybe 15 skilled developers for a year?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Game development is extremely risky, even for well-known franchises and studios.

It's also worth noting that Psychonauts 2 was not funded solely by Fig, and in fact got the majority of its money elsewhere. Fig was a way for them to build hype and get sales money earlier, but the amount they asked for ($3.3 million) is nowhere near enough money to make the game. That'd pay for, what, maybe 15 skilled developers for a year?

That can probably get you about 30 devs for a year. Psychonauts was announced in 2015 released after a 6 year dev cycle, though certainly that ramped up towards the end. In 2015 Double Fine was about 65 people.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah she's moping out from that. She asked me to look into it and it's just too weird. Thanks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Heran Bago posted:

The basic shapes in 3D modeling and rendering software are like sphere, cube, cylinder, donut, and teapot. Why teapot?

I assume because it's a recognizable symmetrical 3D shape that can easily be expressed as a formula. But you could say that for like a mug or a spoon. I found a wikipedia article about the history of the model but I still don't get its prevelance. Did no one else come up with and publicly release models of like bottle caps or something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenna

Already discussed, but reminds me of the Lenna image used for 2D image saving/compression.
Some researchers grabbed a Playboy pic for use for in a thesis, and its used for the next 30 years.
Used it myself for my degree, a comparison on Fractal Compression and Vector Quantization (fancy words for shitter than jpeg compression methods).
Didn't know its not used any more, in fact frowned upon.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

MJBuddy posted:

That can probably get you about 30 devs for a year. Psychonauts was announced in 2015 released after a 6 year dev cycle, though certainly that ramped up towards the end. In 2015 Double Fine was about 65 people.

30 people for a year for 3.3 million? In Eastern Europe or South America, maybe. Not in the US. (remember cost of development is not just employee base salary)
Especially for Doublefine in the Bay Area, 15 people is a pretty good estimate.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

DancingMachine posted:

30 people for a year for 3.3 million? In Eastern Europe or South America, maybe. Not in the US. (remember cost of development is not just employee base salary)
Especially for Doublefine in the Bay Area, 15 people is a pretty good estimate.

10k/month per person is a decent estimate, and that's facilities included. Bay Area will be higher.

30 people at 10k is 300k/mo, and gets you to 3.6 a year.

Bay area will be more, but probably not twice that, and your cost per person per month probably goes down with larger studios. Double Fine may uniquely have higher paid people with veterans and may have to service some fees on that 3.3mil.

Easter EU is significantly less than that 10k, and they'd pay more than that for any work they outsourced.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

MJBuddy posted:

10k/month per person is a decent estimate, and that's facilities included. Bay Area will be higher.

Bay area will be more, but probably not twice that, and your cost per person per month probably goes down with larger studios. Double Fine may uniquely have higher paid people with veterans and may have to service some fees on that 3.3mil.

Easter EU is significantly less than that 10k, and they'd pay more than that for any work they outsourced.

You can't pay senior people total cost 120k in even third tier US cities. Salary alone is more than that, let alone facilities/taxes/etc.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I'm working with a team of 3 others to get our game picked up by a publisher and we've estimated ~16k average per month per head. We consider that a reasonable games industry rate, but I wouldn't call it competitive. This is for a completely remote company.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MJBuddy posted:

General loose shortcut is that employees cost a company 1.5-2x their salary number per year in compensation, taxes and benefits.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
god, gamedev comps are poo poo

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

god, gamedev comps are poo poo

For what it's worth, this is kinda changing, at least for the technical/engineering side. Even at the best of times, gaming does not pay as much a FAANG, and pay also depends a lot on discipline (and studio). Artists frequently get shafted, but engineers can do pretty well.

The really sad thing is that you often get paid less for working on products that are actually fun and creative. You can make pretty decent money in the mobile space if you want to deal with that, and you can make really good money if you want to sell your soul completely for NFT crap. I generally don't burn bridges in this small industry, but I'll gladly tell recruiters at NFT companies to gently caress off and never talk to me again.

All this though I think is changing. The likes of Riot and some Microsoft studios are starting to so aggressively poach with pay hikes that it's causing the industry to kind of figure it's poo poo out here.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I mean, as a senior/lead programmer here in Sweden, I make on the order of $50-55k/year (that comes with a shorter workweek, however; so let's say $60k for a more representative number). So it's not like salaries like that are limited to "Eastern Europe or South America".

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

For what it's worth, this is kinda changing, at least for the technical/engineering side. Even at the best of times, gaming does not pay as much a FAANG, and pay also depends a lot on discipline (and studio). Artists frequently get shafted, but engineers can do pretty well.

The really sad thing is that you often get paid less for working on products that are actually fun and creative. You can make pretty decent money in the mobile space if you want to deal with that, and you can make really good money if you want to sell your soul completely for NFT crap. I generally don't burn bridges in this small industry, but I'll gladly tell recruiters at NFT companies to gently caress off and never talk to me again.

All this though I think is changing. The likes of Riot and some Microsoft studios are starting to so aggressively poach with pay hikes that it's causing the industry to kind of figure it's poo poo out here.

Had comparable offers from a role perspective with 2K and a mobile company. Mobile company was literally 2x comp. They knew it, too. Hiring manager admitted that comp was the biggest challenge he had hiring for the role. Also that they didn't know how to ship a game without crunch :laffo:

I'd rather work on the 2K property, but it still wasn't my dream franchise. And I have a house to pay for, etc. 1/2 the pay for 2x the hours is not my idea of a party.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I mean, as a senior/lead programmer here in Sweden, I make on the order of $50-55k/year (that comes with a shorter workweek, however; so let's say $60k for a more representative number). So it's not like salaries like that are limited to "Eastern Europe or South America".

This is a fair point. Euro goons can probably fill it in here more, but my understanding is that Software Engineering in EU is really underpaid compared to NA for some reason. I think our team of mids/seniors probably gets paid about $160k~ on average by comparison in NA.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

mutata posted:

General loose shortcut is that employees cost a company 1.5-2x their salary number per year in compensation, taxes and benefits.

Yes that's consistent with what I posted. I'm not speculating but I cannot provide actuals here.

The catch I think is the 10k number used to be very broad, including west coast primarily and dev centers have moved aggressively to more affordable places (Sweden, Eastern EU, Austin) to kinda shift cost around. That old benchmark is obviously not going to match Seattle area devs or Bay Area shops, especially those that are boutique and full of senior veterans.

And pay is both rising in technical fields, and games are more reliant on them than ever before.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
12k has always been the standard I've dealt with over the last decade. Obviously that swings wildly but 10k seems more small team indie to me, at best. Even now with people reducing costs and going all remote, benefits and salaries are skyrocketing and that number is catching up to maybe where it should be (just as salaries are starting to in games).

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I do think Microsoft Game Studios not being a part of Microsoft's recruiting and not open to the same kind of internal headhunting is keeping wages lower too. Do it microsoft, let the word team steal game engineers, let the salaries Go Up. (don't believe this applies to like, 343 and Turn10)

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Studio posted:

I do think Microsoft Game Studios not being a part of Microsoft's recruiting and not open to the same kind of internal headhunting is keeping wages lower too. Do it microsoft, let the word team steal game engineers, let the salaries Go Up. (don't believe this applies to like, 343 and Turn10)

Microsoft studios are a hodgepodge of on site Microsoft logo employees, off-site Microsoft employees, limited integration companies which operate very independently and collaborate more like how 2nd party studios act with Sony or Nintendo, and central services like User Research, marketing, etc.

There's a decent looking article discussing some of it: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-07-09-how-minecraft-and-mojang-taught-xbox-how-to-buy-studios

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I really loving hope that's in gamedev, because in "normal" programming I am seeing 90k+ for seniors in EE.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Xarn posted:

I really loving hope that's in gamedev, because in "normal" programming I am seeing 90k+ for seniors in EE.

Yes, this is the game dev thread, I'm in game dev. I'm sure salaries are higher if you can stand writing the most boring-rear end uncreative code imaginable for a living.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I work on both serious database stuff with PL-SQL and web front end stuff and I can guarantee there's nothing boring or uncreative about any of our code. Some of it looks like it's straight out of a different reality and could grow sentient at any time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Having done both, the way I'd put it is that non-games industry software development has plenty of room for satisfaction in your craft, but games work has more artistic expression. And there's a lot to be said for working on stuff that's just there to help people have a good time, instead of to more efficiently hoover money out of their wallets.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

instead of to more efficiently hoover money out of their wallets.
So, like video games?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sachant posted:

So, like video games?

I get what you're saying, so I should clarify that I'm doing indie development. No lootboxes, no gacha, no season passes or preorder bonuses.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

If it's one thing I'm pretty happy about is that no matter how much I gently caress some code up, it's not going to kill anyone. I'd go nuts working in a field like medical or aeronautics or something of that nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

This is a fair point. Euro goons can probably fill it in here more, but my understanding is that Software Engineering in EU is really underpaid compared to NA for some reason. I think our team of mids/seniors probably gets paid about $160k~ on average by comparison in NA.

From my understanding is that we are underpaid because we can be. We are not reliant on that a large part of our check goes to healthcare or other similar things as it's already provided for us. So the companies can get expertise talent for a way lower salary. I've worked with a lot of Americans that have moved to Sweden and went down in salary gladly as it still meant an increase in living standard.

Now that is not to say that I think I am paid a fair wage, like the goon you responded to I earn about the same after a decade of experience and only been able to reach it by switching company.