Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Anyone who starts a company in a major metro area and cannot pay them a reasonable liveable wage is unethical.

Also they're going to go out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

mutata posted:

Anyone who starts a company in a major metro area and cannot pay them a reasonable liveable wage is unethical.

Also they're going to go out of business.

Ironically, this covers most indies. :v:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Indies don't start fresh studios in major metropolitan areas.

:thunk:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
When the Internet Chases You From Your Home, How an Online Mob Created a Playbook for a Culture War

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ConalPierse/status/1163180037769744384

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Chunderstorm posted:

Austin is basically the closest thing. It's a reasonable hub, North Austin is not terribly expensive, etc. Some devs can even afford houses, and given that driving everywhere is basically mandatory here, some people buy houses up in Round Rock for even cheaper and just commute in. Roughly the same distance from downtown to North Austin.

Per your other question, no, but some friends have had e-mails sent that were 'gentle reminders' that the studios offer X, Y, Z benefits and have the interests of their employees in mind (hah). Obviously not going to mention which studios.

After coming back to LA in 2016 and noticing things in the west end double in rent and commute in very short order [Hey google is building something next door? Oh look my rent just shot up to $4,200 a month for a one-bedroom, I guess I'm moving ...], I got an offer in Austin. Similar pay, plus relocation, housing assist and a real estate agent to help me find a place, plus no state income tax, I figured why not. So far so good, I miss California, but yeah a lot of people at work own houses and are paying off/paid off their student loans instead of .. just getting by.

Austin isn't a huge city and it's already built out with low-density housing which means high prices but the surrounding areas are cheap in comparison with good schools. My commute is a whopping 30 minutes average and I'm up in Round Rock / Cedar Park area.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
It's a shame that they're desperately trying to turn the Salt Lake City metro area into a silicon valley step child because man it was super reasonable here for a good long while.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Man, Soule was supposed to be one of the good guys. Nope.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Burn your heroes.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
A lot of dudes were supposed to be good guys and turned out to be poo poo, and I hope more get thrust out into the open. gently caress Jeremy and gently caress Alec, too.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm happy people are openly talking about and addressing this poo poo. I hope it continues instead of just being a short burst of activity.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's hosed that everyone I know who's called out coworkers for inappropriate comments/sexual harassment/etc. has been punished more than the actual people being lovely.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

I still can't believe that something like https://www.businessinsider.com/riot-games-suspends-coo-scott-gelb-bro-culture-2018-12 was even possible at an international company with 2500 employees. If this is what's ok at the very top, then I can only imagine what the rest of the iceberg looks like.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Lol "some" employees? Man what a weakass statement. That Scott guy sounds hilariously bro and useless.

Still blows my mind how when you learn about the inner workings of places, just how stupid and creepy people in positions of power really are. Like its now strange to find actual competence at that level now.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Capitalism actively encourages white supremacy/sexism/etc. These are features, not bugs.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Kanine posted:

Capitalism actively encourages white supremacy/sexism/etc. These are features, not bugs.

These things happen with and without capitalism. Not sticking up for capitalism here, but let's try and get a handle on what it is and isn't to blame for.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah im not going to have that debate

anyway, support gameworkersunite

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Edit: Must....not....engage!

People who don't hire or mistreat talent because of [insert attribute] are bloody idiots, and deserve all the success they don't get.

RossCo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 28, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/netgal_emi/status/1166308872157650946

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Can I get some context? I don't follow gamedev twitter.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xarn posted:

Can I get some context? I don't follow gamedev twitter.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...sexual-assault/

also a ton of new accusations coming out, and there's also a lot of discourse the last 2 days about sexual harassment/assault/abuse/etc in the game industry and how it's a really big issue

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Not an expert at this, so please enlighten me if I'm totally off, but wouldn't any half decent employment lawyer have a field day in a case of withheld wages? At least in CA, as an employer, you're always warned that if you're ever even a day late on paying your staff then very, very bad things will happen to you legally. People have mouths to feed, bills to pay, and if you violate their trust for something that fundamental (especially knowing how many people live paycheck to paycheck in the US), the govt is going to rip you a new one. Is this maybe a case of the region when these people are working in that doesn't have as many worker protections? Or is this tricky because the people in question are contractors, so things end up being more negotiable? Or is it just not enough money for someone in the legal profession to want to look into this? IANAL.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 28, 2019

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

Not an expert at this, so please enlighten me if I'm totally off, but wouldn't any half decent employment lawyer have a field day in a case of withheld wages? At least in CA, as an employer, you're always warned that if you're ever even a day late on paying your staff then very, very bad things will happen to you legally. People have mouths to feed, bills to pay, and if you violate their trust for something that fundamental (especially knowing how many people live paycheck to paycheck in the US), the govt is going to rip you a new one. Is this maybe a case of the region when these people are working in that doesn't have as many worker protections? Or is this tricky because the people in question are contractors, so things end up being more negotiable? Or is it just not enough money for someone in the legal profession to want to look into this? IANAL.

I have no idea about the specifics in these cases but back when I was junior enough to be messed around in that fashion I would have been too daunted to get a lawyer let alone push back against an employer.

My gut tells me that the sort of people who do this also wouldn't try in on people who have a good chance of punching back.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've worked for two developers in CA that have, at various points, been unable to pay out our paychecks on time. Nothing in particular happened to them (aside from a bunch of people quitting because they weren't being paid). I had no idea there were even supposed to be legal repercussions for something like that.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ckjong/status/1166768930603577344

https://twitter.com/karaastone/status/1166756509704843264

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Kanine posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...sexual-assault/

also a ton of new accusations coming out, and there's also a lot of discourse the last 2 days about sexual harassment/assault/abuse/etc in the game industry and how it's a really big issue

:yikes: forget I asked

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alec Holowka committed suicide.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
When you post you just drop little tidbits without any kind of context as to how you feel about them. It's like you are a high School drama teacher trying to spark discussion with as little personal involvement as possible.

How does that make you feel, what do you think it brings to the conversation. Add something.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Generally I try to keep this thread informative and enlightening about the industry and the game development process overall. A place to come if people want straight (albeit often anecdotal) answers to game dev or industry questions. I've never really seen it as a place to collect current events or even commentary thereof on its own per se.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
eh i see what you're saying, ill keep that stuff to other threads

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Couple of questions for yalls who might be in the know:

* How difficult is it to switch (in the sense of being effective, not actually getting a corporate game programming job) to game programming from other tech industries? e.g. say you have 15 years of programming experience in backend/devops/web/mobile etc, is it safe to say that it wouldn't be crazy to expect to ramp up to a solid level in programming games within a year or two?
* In the indie space, how do people find other people to work on projects with? I'm guessing, like with most other creative projects, it's all about meeting people in person through various means (conferences, personal connections, existing game gigs, rather than some kind of a "matchmewithindiedevs.com") and then deciding to give something a try?

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 2, 2019

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

DreadCthulhu posted:

* How difficult is it to switch (in the sense of being effective, not actually getting a corporate game programming job) to game programming from other tech industries? e.g. say you have 15 years of programming experience in backend/devops/web/mobile etc, is it safe to say that it wouldn't be crazy to expect to ramp up to a solid level in programming games within a year or two?

You could work on the backend for service games roughly tomorrow.

If you’re at the principal level, PM me if you’re at all interested in being in Boston.

quote:

* In the indie space, how do people find other people to work on projects with? I'm guessing, like with most other creative projects, it's all about meeting people in person through various means (conferences, personal connections, existing game gigs, rather than some kind of a "matchmewithindiedevs.com") and then deciding to give something a try?

Twitter, conferences, this forum, other forums. For finding artists, also wherever they show their work.

It’s relatively easy to connect with people who’s stuff you’re into. If you want to work with a specific artist, ask for a rate sheet or describe your project and ask whether they’d be interested in working on it at a given rate (or at all; to do this without a specific rate, specify “for pay” or “for hire”). If your rate is low, you’ll have a harder time finding collaborators. If they’re busy but think the project is cool, they may forward it to their network.

It should not be surprising that people who have worked well together in the past will try to work with each other in the future. I know a bunch of people that started on a project working for someone then a few years later successfully reached out to pay that person for services on their own project.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

DreadCthulhu posted:

Depending on what exactly you did before (a PHP or JS programmer is very different from a C++ programmer), and with the right attitude and motivation, that's probably feasible. Games programming has a lot of sub-fields with their own focuses, but it's not like the basic principles of programming are any different. Good skills to have/work on, depending somewhat on what you want to focus on:
  • Know C/C++. Most games today are written in C++, except Unity games, which are C#. Understand low-level programming, memory management, etc.
  • Be aware of what solutions and engines already exist. Preferably, download some of them and give them a go (Unity and Unreal Engine are both freely available, for example). Be aware of commonly used tools in the industry, in all parts of production, not just programming.
  • An understanding of what the graphics processing pipeline looks like on a modern system, how graphics cards and APIs work - not just knowing the programming interface, but what data should look like and why. Shaders, textures, vertex buffers, all of that. I'd recommend knowing at least the basics of OpenGL and DirectX - console platforms tend to use proprietary APIs but all the fundamental parts are the same, just under different names.
  • Solid understanding of mathematics, linear algebra especially. A lot of game programming has to do with transforming poo poo in space.
  • General understanding of common game architectures and design patterns relevant to games - game state management, scene graphs, entity/component systems, stuff like that.
  • A basic understanding of how audio data works, as well as common audio APIs.
  • At basic understanding of (rigid body) physics is good to have, even if you don't intend to get into physics programming specifically. If you do want to get into that, have a solid understanding of it because 90% of other programmers won't.
  • An eye towards performance. The FPS isn't going to get itself to 60 on its own. Knowing where the bottlenecks are likely to be and how to remove them is the name of the game. And most importantly, knowing how to say no to the art department when they ask if they can put things in the game that would strain or obliterate the CPU/GPU budget.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 2, 2019

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

Depends what you want to do. Most AAA developers have a services/live ops group now, and your experience sounds like it would make you a good hire for one of those groups. Depending on the company you join, there may/will be some interaction with the more game-y side which will let you build skills and contacts. That varies from company to company, I would recommend talking to some people from prospective companies about it.

An advantage of this approach is that these positions tend to be better compensated than a low/mid level games programmer since the barrier to entry is more formally stated. These opportunities are going to become more common over the next couple of years, so its a pretty good way forward given your stated experience.

I'm not really familiar with the Indie scene but I would imagine getting into that would be a question of combining the building of demonstrable skills and bringing that to one of the various communities. I would say beware of spreading your studies too thinly, whilst a good general knowledge of various systems is useful it can make you equally bad at everything.

RossCo fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 2, 2019

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Thanks for the extensive tips, guys. Yes, I did forget that there's often these days a networked backend components to most games, so you don't even have to do any sort of technical career changes to be immediately useful. In my head "working on games" always associated more with working on the game client, but I realize it's very much of a mental thing.

I actually wonder if people doing this sort of backend work are ever tempted to just say "gently caress this, I could be making bank working on the same poo poo for FAANG in the Bay", and not have to deal with any of the downsides of being in the game development world.

Re: indie projects, was there a secret sauce behind some of my favorite teams such as Thatgamecompany and Supergiant games? All industry veterans? Did dozens of indie projects before striking gold? Magical confluence of all the right talent at the right time?

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 2, 2019

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Yes they do. It's partly why programmer salaries are what they are in game dev (vs art, design, etc) but even then there's a definite tradeoff most of the time.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Thanks for the extensive tips, guys. Yes, I did forget that there's often these days a networked backend components to most games, so you don't even have to do any sort of technical career changes to be immediately useful. In my head "working on games" always associated more with working on the game client, but I realize it's very much of a mental thing.

I actually wonder if people doing this sort of backend work are ever tempted to just say "gently caress this, I could be making bank working on the same poo poo for FAANG in the Bay", and not have to deal with any of the downsides of being in the game development world.

Yes this happens.

quote:

Re: indie projects, was there a secret sauce behind some of my favorite teams such as Thatgamecompany and Supergiant games? All industry veterans? Did dozens of indie projects before striking gold? Magical confluence of all the right talent at the right time?

Survivor bias.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

Not to go into details, but yes when competing for talent with the big guys you have to offer more, or at least something more (location/conditions/working environment STOP LAUGHING drat YOU.)

It is even more impactful when talking about people who work further removed from game side. Try telling a DBA that he's doing it for the glory of working on VidyaGames and watch the reaction.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

RossCo posted:

Not to go into details

You should to educate job seekers, imo :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is it rude for me to ask an indie developer if they're using store assets or if they're producing them in-house? if i do im going to preface it with saying both are valid, and that im asking mostly out of curiosity