Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dinurth posted:

This is a great resource for jobs;
https://gracklehq.com/jobs
Thank you, I'm checking it out.

MJBuddy posted:

Unemployment is virtually zero. It's tougher to get a big tech job due to hiring freezes but if the companies aren't in a freeze there's more listings than I've ever seen (in my area) and it looks like people are filling them.
I had an impression it was mostly "unqualified" work that found itself deeply in need, but if tech is also craving for new employees, then great :) Gives me more hope.

Mr Beens posted:

Depends on where you are.
In the UK there are 3 or 4 dedicated games industry recruitment agencies in addition to LinkedIn and going to studios directly.
Well I'm looking for fully remote, and hop between Canada and western continental Europe (but mostly the later nowadays). So I've been looking into remote jobs from these two areas since I assume it would be less paperwork for these companies if they can employ someone that already has the right to work in their country.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Does anyone know of a quick get up and running module/package to make a simple turn based grid combat game in unity, or any other engine?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

mila kunis posted:

Does anyone know of a quick get up and running module/package to make a simple turn based grid combat game in unity, or any other engine?

Probably a better question for the Making Games Megathread. This thread is more for industry chat.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Folks that have shipped games: how long does it usually take you to feel recovered, afterwards? I shipped my game early February, and I'm still feeling under the weather. Even given two weeks of post-launch support, that seems like a long recovery time to me, but I don't exactly have a ton of experience in this domain.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Folks that have shipped games: how long does it usually take you to feel recovered, afterwards? I shipped my game early February, and I'm still feeling under the weather. Even given two weeks of post-launch support, that seems like a long recovery time to me, but I don't exactly have a ton of experience in this domain.

What does "feel recovered" mean?

Most of my work is in service games, which I would argue don't really start until launch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

leper khan posted:

What does "feel recovered" mean?

Most of my work is in service games, which I would argue don't really start until launch.

Get back to what you consider your status quo in terms of energy level and productivity.

And yeah, I guess this isn't really valid for service games.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Get back to what you consider your status quo in terms of energy level and productivity.

And yeah, I guess this isn't really valid for service games.

You did something very few people have done. Launched a successful game on steam as mostly a 1 man project. I looked at the reviews before and was super proud. You poured your blood sweat and tears into it for years that I've been following along on the various threads. Yes you're going to be exhausted, it happens. I've had AAA games launched in teams of 300 that I fealt exhausted from when we shipped because we crunched beyond our eyes. As soon as you can, take some extended time away to recharge.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

After a real crunch, I need 2 weeks of time off to function at all, and probably about a week of normal time at work per 2 weeks of stress before I'm back up to speed.

Taking a more solid break of a month helps reduce that time, but that's tougher to do the smaller your team is.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

It's been over 2 years and all of a sudden there is no clear "goal" (like a release) in front for your productivity. It's completely normal for it to feel uncomfortable and unusual. Also in 2 years your status quo will have changed even if you weren't able to track it; doubly so if you spent a good chunk of that crunching. It should be less a "get back to" and more of a "find a new" status quo.

Resist the urge to solve the problem by setting a new long-term goal (like starting a new project, or something else that takes energy; anything that takes the same amount of constant effort that you've been putting in for 2 years), and instead set a lot of short-term goals (like taking a holiday, finishing a particular book you want to read, doing an event for yourself; anything that takes a small amount of effort and is doable within a few days of starting). You need to re-build your routine and focus it less on your project, because having a routine around a project that no longer has a clear "goal" will actually burn you out from lack of "progress". Even if it's not your long-term routine, having 2-3 months where you set yourself up to do certain things (have a coffee outside every morning, see a gig every month, join a hobby group and attend every week) will make you find small "goals" even if you're not actively thinking about it.

In terms of how long that'll take, it depends on how quickly you internalise and adapt to the change. Some people go through it quickly no matter what because they're used to changing their pace, other people have to go as far as to take a couple of weeks completely offline to force themselves to find new things to focus on.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the kind words and advice, y'all. I'm familiar with post-project depression, but this bout has definitely hit harder than most. Which makes sense, as this is the biggest project I've driven through to completion in my life. It still sucks to live through, and it's helpful to hear about y'all's experiences as well. I guess it helps to normalize the experience, or something? :shrug:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Yeah, you're not alone, and just focusing on yourself is fine and healthy and productive, even if it doesn't feel that way in the moment.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

I think part of it is the gap in expectations vs how you feel, and ultimately I think it's hard to actually get that feeling of external validation that you think you'll end up getting. I think it's easier to intellectually feel proud and accomplished than to really feel it emotionally, and it feels like you missed out on something you thought you should've gotten. At least that's how I've felt. For me it helped to just recognize that I'm probably just not going to get that good feeling, and to be ok with that. That might just be a personal thing for me, but I think it has helped me to acknowledge to myself that that's just how I work.

Contentato
Jan 19, 2023

yay [short tooting]

Thanks for the kind words and advice, y'all. I'm familiar with post-project depression, but this bout has definitely hit harder than most. Which makes sense, as this is the biggest project I've driven through to completion in my life. It still sucks to live through, and it's helpful to hear about y'all's experiences as well. I guess it helps to normalize the experience, or something? :shrug:

Yeah in my limited experience this is def normal. Shipping any game project is a huge accomplishment and you spent four years on yours. I only spent half a year on mine and I still ended up taking most of the second half of that year more or less off.

Lemming posted:

I think part of it is the gap in expectations vs how you feel, and ultimately I think it's hard to actually get that feeling of external validation that you think you'll end up getting. I think it's easier to intellectually feel proud and accomplished than to really feel it emotionally, and it feels like you missed out on something you thought you should've gotten. At least that's how I've felt. For me it helped to just recognize that I'm probably just not going to get that good feeling, and to be ok with that. That might just be a personal thing for me, but I think it has helped me to acknowledge to myself that that's just how I work.

Also true - with indie games unless you focus really, really, heavily on marketing as you're building it your release is gonna be underwhelming. Take some time to chill, but then don't abandon the cool-rear end boat game! Send it to some places that might showcase it. Put up some gameplay vids. I've got specific recommendations but the idea of working more on the thing you just ground out for years probably would feel overwhelming. Just know there's still ways to get people to pop in and tell you your game's cool :cheers:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Does anyone know if it's possible to download the entire Steamworks docu or some of its subcategories as a PDF or something?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Why don't serious racing game devs just use sound effect libraries for specific car sounds like engine, exhaust, turbo noises etc instead of recording sounds from scratch? My composer/sound designer friend who just graduated thought it was dumb that they wouldn't just use pre-recorded packs. I think they're probably not good enough? Idk, I've never checked what's really in those packs.
Libraries for specific cars such as these: https://pole.se/product/nissan-r33-skyline-1997/

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sininu posted:

Why don't serious racing game devs just use sound effect libraries for specific car sounds like engine, exhaust, turbo noises etc instead of recording sounds from scratch? My composer/sound designer friend who just graduated thought it was dumb that they wouldn't just use pre-recorded packs. I think they're probably not good enough? Idk, I've never checked what's really in those packs.
Libraries for specific cars such as these: https://pole.se/product/nissan-r33-skyline-1997/

Depends on scale of production. Sound fonts are used for lots of things by lots of teams.

For racing games in particular, they may not want to sound exactly like another racing game. Particularly at the high end.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

leper khan posted:

For racing games in particular, they may not want to sound exactly like another racing game. Particularly at the high end.
But racing games aspire to be as authentic as possible to please car nerds, so wanting to have different sounding audio for a real-world car would be silly.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Sininu posted:

But racing games aspire to be as authentic as possible to please car nerds, so wanting to have different sounding audio for a real-world car would be silly.

You want it to sound like the real cars, but not like the other games that sound like the real cars. I promise you the logic makes sense to game companies.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

might be an issue of consistency? the big racing titles have 500+ cars and it's probably not possible to source all of their sounds from the same supplier or recording process, unless they do it in house

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Taking one set of audio samples and saying "this is how this particular car sounds, anything that sounds different must be wrong" is just an incorrect way of looking at it. Things like the test track used for recording or how the audio engineers mic the car can result in things being audibly different even though they're both the "real sound" of the engine.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm quite sure there are racing fans who buy games for their car sounds, so it makes sense to make that one part to make your game stand out.
On the other hand, if your game just has vehicles to drive, like an FPS with driving sections, it totally makes sense to license a sound pack.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

nielsm posted:

I'm quite sure there are racing fans who buy games for their car sounds, so it makes sense to make that one part to make your game stand out.
I don't know about buying games for sounds alone, but there are some games with laughably bad car sounds. Gran Turismo used to be memed about for their vacuum cleaner engine sounds (I heard they massively improved it in the latest release though) and newest Forza uses 4 cylinder engine sounds for V8's or something.

nielsm posted:

On the other hand, if your game just has vehicles to drive, like an FPS with driving sections, it totally makes sense to license a sound pack.
Completely agreed, especially since most of the time those are fictional cars with unknown engine configurations anyway.

repiv posted:

might be an issue of consistency? the big racing titles have 500+ cars and it's probably not possible to source all of their sounds from the same supplier or recording process, unless they do it in house
Yeah, it's very expensive to record car audio if you want to do it properly. You might already have the expertise and equipment to do it, but you still have to actually find and rent the car to record which can be really difficult and find a location suitable for recording. It takes a lot of time and if you have that many cars it's just infeasible to record them yourself.
You can't find sound libraries for all the cars either so it seems quite complicated to me.
I think I'm just gonna contact some audio designers who have worked on racing games to ask about it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have definitely read blog posts from the Euro Truck Simulator team about going out to record sounds from specific truck models, and ditto for Train Simulator content developers.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

nielsm posted:

I have definitely read blog posts from the Euro Truck Simulator team about going out to record sounds from specific truck models, and ditto for Train Simulator content developers.

Ya, I've read blog posts about Dirt Rally 1/2 and Forza Horizon 5 recording sessions when those games were in development c:
I'm sorry if it seemed like I meant that it's too expensive or time consuming to record at least some amount of vehicles for those big studios.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Sininu posted:

Ya, I've read blog posts about Dirt Rally 1/2 and Forza Horizon 5 recording sessions when those games were in development c:
I'm sorry if it seemed like I meant that it's too expensive or time consuming to record at least some amount of vehicles for those big studios.

"too" and "very" are similar but different concepts.

I like to think that the exuberance is how companies demonstrate an appreciation for the art that is games. But it also has an ROI; maybe difficult to measure individually, but collectively across various things in a game it sets an expectation that defines the company's moat that is a sense of quality.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Reasons not to use a sound library recording of a car

Not high enough quality/bit rate, channels
Not the right range of revs
Not the right range of audio elements ( it's not just the engine you want, turbos, gear change, braking, different acceleration patterns, suspension etc)
Library only has internal recordings, you might also want external, drive bys
Not the exact model or year you need
Licensing restrictions from the library
Licensing restrictions from the manufacturer
You need to train your audio team on capturing methods and equipment
Efficient to capture multiple cars in one session at one location (cost and time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
One difficult thing about engine sounds for racing games is also the difference between hearing an engine from different perspectives. It sounds different inside the vehicle, with the hood open from outside the vehicle, with the hood closed, as well as different as a spectator watching a race in person. Recordings should be made consistently, and its easier to guarantee that if you do it yourself.