Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
A group of toxic players got together to review-bomb our game on Steam. We're a small multiplayer-only MMO RTS, so something like this can really effect us. Together they took our rating down from Positive down to Mixed.

poo poo like:

(Note the player has 300+ hours on record, including 80+ hours in the last two weeks, and almost 40 hours added since the time of review just a few days ago)

And another one that was so abusive that Steam took it down.

So these players, who continue to play, are doing this, coordinated, purely out of spite, to detract from our game, a 100% free game, that they continue to play.

Someone please commiserate with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So what happened is that one player had a misunderstanding with another player and got upset (refused to accept an apology, started drama, etc). This happened outside of our game and outside of Steam, between two players. I don't know how or why, but somehow that led five players to get together and coordinate a review bomb on us. 2-3 of the reviews bemoan an "insular community" or something of the sort. I was also wrong earlier: the abusive, profanity-laced review is still up, unfortunately.

I appreciate the advice and support everyone. I found all this out on my birthday (the 11th), so that was certainly very blech.

Steam has a place on it's creator dashboard where you can message a service rep, and some dashboard manual said to message them if you get review bombed like this, so I'll try that.

VelociBacon posted:

Let us know what game it is and you won't need commiseration.
Our game is Europe In Ruins. It's existed in some form since 2007, but we launched on Steam last year.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

VelociBacon posted:

I didn't realize it was a mod, I don't own CoH unfortunately but thought maybe I'd be able to run it for a few hours then leave a positive review. Instead I got this dialogue box which is pretty funny.

e: Oh looks like if I leave up the window that calls me a dumbass it counts as the game running. Sweet.
The AutoUpdater window is a relic from another time, another dev team, 10+ years ago, and it certainly shows. That's what happens when you install our program into the wrong location. I've never been a big fan of the 'Dumbass' comment, and it's led to a few negative reviews.

Such as this gem:

I never realized the AutoUpdater also counted as play time, that's neat. But I'd also be worried about looking like we're astroturfing our reviews, when I'm about to message Steam to look through our reviews for unusual activity (not actually owning a copy of COH might set off a red flag for Steam). But I do have one gift copy (from when Steam still had game inventory), and I'd be happy to buy a copy for anyone else who's willing to check us out. I feel that COH1 is still pound-for-pound the best RTS game out there, and we built upon that, so I earnestly think our game offers the most complex and comprehensive strategy gaming experience out there with all the features and such that we've implemented. So if that sounds up your alley, come check us out. COH Bros welcome.

quote:

I hope other goons in the thread can toss you a positive review doing the same to offset your idiot reviewbombs.
I appreciate the lifeline. We're a 3-man international (volunteer) dev team, and one guy is busy moving to Germany to work for their space program (or something like that). I'm busy doing PR and trying to revitalize our Youtube channel, so I'm not excited to have to stop and begin studying Steam's Official Community Guideline Policy Whatever. It's astounding the amount of disruption a coordinated group of hooligans can cause at once.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You should be able to report abusive reviews if you're an owner or moderator of the game.
I think another dev team member did that already, but I'll also do that, in addition to sending their service team a message. I'm anxious because I have absolutely no idea how this process works. How effective is their automated system?, How helpful are their staff?, etc. I feel an obligation to resolve all of this as soon as possible. Thanks everyone.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Personally I've had great experiences with Steam's support, like way better than I expected to.
That's reassuring to hear. I was thinking of messaging this to Steam support thru the Dashboard creator panel:

quote:

Hello. I am writing to you today because unfortunately our game, Europe In Ruins, has recently been the victim of a coordinated series of review bombs. On August 9th and 10th, five players coordinated to all leave negative reviews at the same time specifically to tank our score and hurt our game.

This started when one player, XXXX, took offense to something innocuous another community member said (see attached Discord chat). What happened was a miscommunication between two community members, it happened outside of our game, and it happened outside of Steam. There's no reason for players to be dragging their inter-player drama into our Steam review section. These five reviews make up about 10% of our total reviews, and they were able to drag us down into the 'Mixed' review category, so this effects us significantly. This is definitely a coordinated review bombs as the negative reviewers all know eachother and coordinated their reviews, and this is a far above average number of negative reviews for our game (see attached review history graph), and is entirely based on player personal drama.

While none of the reviews are genuine, one is so abusive that the player replaced letters with numbers in order to bypass the profanity filter just to insult our community and players. Another contains lies, like that a player was mocked by a developer for reporting a bug. The three others are less-than-one-sentence-long drive-by review bombs that are off-topic and entirely based on another player's drama (see attached review bomb examples).

None of these players have reached out in any way to our Developers or our Moderator about any of the issues that they mentioned, and went straight into leaving us negative reviews in order to damage our game and insult our community. Also note that each player has continued to play and enjoy our game. None of these players have quit playing, and together they have collectively racked up 150+ hours since their review bomb one week ago.

Please remove these abusive and off-topic reviews from our review score and review section. Thank you for your time.
Does that seem OK? Do I also individually report the comments? Do I post a 'reasonable' response to their reviews? Do I reach out to them through Discord to ask them about it?

edit: Looks like they got one more person to leave a bad review. Time to update my message to Steam. :(

So what I've been able to piece together is that this is a group of players that used to play Operation Market Garden mod (the only other COH mod with persistent unit veterancy) together. The moderation team there drove them away, so they soured on OMG, and now they're playing our game and I guess souring on our game now.

literally this big fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 18, 2021

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

I haven't tried what you're trying, so I don't know if it'll work. My main thought is "this is a lot of text", though. I'd summarize what you're hoping to achieve and include the backstory and proof afterwards. For example:
You're right, more concise is better. I went with something similar and sent it off to Support. So thank you very much. Unfortunately they responded back with:

quote:

I've had a look through these reviews. I completely understand [...] On the other hand, these don't actually break any rules - we allow everyone who's played the product to leave their opinion as long as it's not abusive or part of an organized effort to lower the score (bot accounts or paid reviews). [blah blah blah]

Best regards,
Andrew
He also links me to the Steamworks documentation page on Customer Reviews, which I had already read over and was using as the basis of messaging them in the first place.

Did this guy not even look at the reviews? Did I get a useless bot or something?

Do I message back quoting the exact passages from the Steamworks documentation that each comment is violating? Do I point out that at least two comments are flagrantly abusive and 100% off-topic? Do I quote back Steam's own definition of Review Bombing, which fits this situation exactly? Do I quote back the passage that says that if the source of a negative review is "something that is unrelated to the product or provided service, the abnormal period of volume will be removed from the overall score." Do I link him to Steam's own User Reviews Revisited post, linked to on the Steamworks documentation page in reference to that last quote, that says "we're going to identify off-topic review bombs, and remove them from the Review Score", and define a review bomb as "a review bomb is where players post a large number of reviews in a short period of time, aimed at lowering the Review Score of a game. We define an off-topic review bomb as one where the focus of those reviews is on a topic that we consider unrelated to the likelihood that future purchasers will be happy if they buy the game, and hence not something that should be added to the Review Score"?

Also unfortunately, on the 16th, a sixth member of the same group left us another bad review. So this has become an ongoing thing. Dragging us down into 'Mixed' really hurts us when we'd be at 75% without them, and now this one group makes up over one-in-ten of our total reviews. We need to muster 7-8 more positive reviews, just to break even with their 6. This is a no-win, uphill battle for us as for as long as they want to keep this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I want to get into game development mainly to become a better programer and I wanted to know how I can publish games. Do I need to make an LLC? Am in the US

Depends on the game, really. Just make a game and post it wherever you can. Steam is a nice platform, but you can start by hosting simpler stuff on something like Newgrounds, or even your own site. Assuming you're wanting to work solo on a small project.

Incorporating into an LLC is only something I'd worry about once you start making a significant amount of money ("significant" is subjective, talk to a lawyer and/or accountant). If you just start doing 'business' in the US (any industry, not just games) then you're by default operating as a 'sole proprietorship'. But you can start uploading games and start a Patreon and such without having to 'officially tell the government' or anything like that.

literally this big fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 24, 2021