Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Save for the various "paperclip maximization" reasons where it would probably be too costly to support a system versus the benefits given, why big publishers haven't yet greenlit a system where their online store are just an already launched game instance with a 3D world (and all the features being represented like if it were in playstation home or second life) and games just sold like access to attractions and launched like entering a section in a theme park?

I think only playstation home tried that, but the baffling thing is that Sony swore that it worked and made them money (save for killing it, which makes me think that Home did not work that well from a monetary or an advertisement standpoint)... On the other hand if the store were the game you could have people learning one set of conventions to operate both the game and store.

Second question: I can see graphics getting more complex but save for a few titles, AI or gameplay systems aren't scaling like graphics. I guess that in 2017 we could have had a game of The Sims with the same environmental density or complexity as Bioshock Infinite (or games like said Bioshock Infinite could have been better and more complex than System Shock). Why don't we get a new Ultima Underworld? Why is the industry relegating complexity to niche or kickstarted games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Excluding Unreal and Unity titles, which fit this paradigm already, how many of your game/in house game engines have some degree of a scripting engine and a virtual machine?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Kanine posted:

is it rude for me to ask an indie developer if they're using store assets or if they're producing them in-house? if i do im going to preface it with saying both are valid, and that im asking mostly out of curiosity

I come from business software, and there is no question too rude, if you are at an actual job interview, when it's related to the general workflow even if it's just probing what are the signs of working conditions.

• What level of (non code) Documentation and Paperwork
  • The presence or lack of a Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery pipeline
  • Test Environments, including databases
  • The need to work on premise vs the possibility to work remotely

These are all questions pertaining to business software so YMMV, but there is no such a thing as a bad question, only a question that has not been made and you will regret later. Whoops! Nice football table you have there! Too bad I have been promoted to Senior Vice Assistant Producer and I have also to fix this bug for 3.00 AM before we go GOLD.

edit: misread what was the context, but hopefully it's useful