Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hoping there's a thread favorite answer to this or obvious recommendation.

I want to start exploring ideas I have about interactive digital experiences ranging from very art-heavy almost entirely passive viewing experiences to more traditional/interactive programs that might lean towards education/low-fi simulation in my field (critical care). I'm wondering what tools I should be looking at learning or what education I should pursue that would be meaningful and relevant to this end. I don't plan on working in the games industry, this is just something I want to explore. I'm in Canada if that changes anything.

My undergrad is in health science with a light applied physics focus but previously did 1-2 years of various programs including IT, economics, marketing, etc. As part of this I did a handful of CSC courses but it's been 10+ years and I've forgotten basically everything so I'd say I'm starting from basically no programming experience besides messing about with an arduino here and there and previous HTML projects (long time ago). My math is also around the 1-2 year university level, my stats is a lot better but still not great.

I've asked a few people about this and have gotten different responses. My gut feeling is that I'd be best served learning basic programming as a starting point. I've heard recommendations for python and C++. Other people just told me to play with Unity. Should I take a programming course? Should I try to learn it by myself? What are some resources?

I do work full time but it's shift work and I have stretches of 4-5 days off between work sets and I'm not super busy. I've done distance courses quite a bit and am not deterred by an online course if it's something that would be appropriate and useful.
Thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't think you're going to get a single consensus, because there's so many potential ways to do what you're talking about. But there's a fairly small number of options that (I would guess) are going to come to the forefront.

First off, if the experience is mostly or entirely passive, you can just make a video, or a set of videos that users can pick between. There's any number of tools for that, but for free stuff there's Blender and Davinci Resolve.

For more complicated stuff you are probably looking at a game engine though. You want to use an engine (instead of writing everything yourself) mostly because it'll take care of stuff like setting up the display, loading and displaying graphics / playing sounds, handling user input, etc. Basically a bunch of fiddly stuff that you don't want to waste your time on. I would recommend starting with an engine even though you're also brushing up on your programming, mostly because your #1 priority is staying motivated, and that tends to be easier when you're writing programs that have graphical/audio feedback (like games), as opposed to writing toy programs that just take in text and output more text on a command line.

There's several big game engines that you can choose between. I can try to sum up their major points:

- Unity: probably the most popular game engine (for game development, that is). Huge installed userbase, which has the happy side-effect that pretty much any problem you encounter, someone else will have encountered previously. The asset store also has a bunch of stuff you can just buy and plop into your project. The main issue Unity has is that the engine's quality is pretty variable; a lot of stuff doesn't quite work the way you'd expect and documentation isn't always the greatest. But it can do your project, pretty much regardless of what your project is. All programming is done in C#.

- UE (Unreal Engine): the serious engine for serious devs. Honestly probably too heavyweight for you: it expects users to have a fair amount of time to dedicate to getting things working just so. But on the flipside, it can turn out prettier, faster, and generally nicer content than Unity can. Programming is done in C++ or Blueprint, a sort of visual coding system.

- GameMaker: much more limited than the above two engines, but focuses on doing what it does well, which means that if your project fits into its scope then you'll probably have an easier time of it. That scope is pretty much 2D sprite-based games, so there's still a lot you can do with it. Programming is done in GML, a custom language that's kind of Javascript-y.

- Godot: a relative newcomer, I don't know much about it. I've heard good things about it, and it can do 2D and 3D, but it's so new and has a smaller install base compared to the above three that I'd hesitate to recommend it for a newcomer. It supports a fairly wide variety of languages.

My personal recommendation would be to take this Udemy course, which is a learn-to-program course that uses Unity. Don't buy Udemy courses at full price, incidentally; they go on sale all the time (I saw it at $15 when making this post, for example).

Thanks for the comprehensive reply - some good stuff to dig through here. I'll pick up that Udemy course for $15, it's basically free and if it's goon-recommended that's great.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

"Listen I know we already had this conversation about the dim RTX warehouse showpiece but we didn't have time to finish the textures for that sewer area either, do you think we can step down the brightness calibration again? Last time I promise!"

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hughlander posted:

My theory and I've railed against this. Artists work in dark quarters. They keep the lights off, blinds closed and their art reflects it.

I think in addition to this, artists are trying to create art and not always trying to design spaces that immediately present all available information to the player.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jan posted:

While I may not be curing cancer or bringing about world peace, at least I can hope to make a game that will make someone's day a bit brighter.

I just wanted to remark on this as someone who works in healthcare, where we constantly hear about how noble our work is even though 90% of the people in our industry are less passionate about it than you find in creative industries.

I really think that for a vast majority of people, whether or not they realize it or can articulate it, life is not worth living without art in it's various forms (music, interactive and non interactive visual media, fiction and nonfiction works of writing, etc). Extending someone's life by any duration only is valuable if the individual is able to enjoy their life - in part by consuming art created by impassioned designers, artists, musicians, writers, and so on. Via our healthcare careers we're just giving people the opportunity to experience more of what people like you are producing (directly or indirectly). Please don't feel like it's in some way less important because it's not dealing with life or death situations, I feel like it's measurably more important as it's reaching more people, providing joy, and overall making life worth living. If we're walking along the beach throwing starfish back into the ocean, you're providing the dope rear end reef material and delicious mollusks for them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have what I think is a quick question but I constantly wonder about it.

In situations like the mobile diablo game announcement, it's so obviously the kind of thing that everyone could see a mile away was going to be scorned, was this something that a higher up just made their pet idea and even though every reasonable person under them could see it was going to be taken horribly by the community, they couldn't do anything because the producer wants it?

Other examples being that SimCity online rollout, or the Warcraft 3 'reforged'. Maybe also the dota 2 card game to a lesser extent.

Stuff like cyberpunk/fallout 76 issues I don't consider to be the same obvious problem and more just decent ideas with poor execution.

Is this problem related to top-down philosophy of management or did everybody in important positions really feel these were going to be successful?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mutata posted:

I disagree that all of those games are "inherently, obviously bad ideas". I think there are plenty of marketing missteps that companies make, but something like "We're announcing a mobile Diablo game at Blizzcon" seems entirely reasonable to me.

What's interesting to me is that you seem to be giving Cyberpunk's and Fallout's launches a pass when those releases would better fit your stated criteria wherein I'm betting plenty of people internally knew what was coming and probably even spoke up but were likely calculated to be not worth delaying the game over in lieu of just fixing it after launch.

It's easy to point at a developer on a stage and go "LOL YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME", but there was nothing inherently wrong with Artifact, SimCity (2013), Diablo Immortal, or Warcraft 3 Reforged. There was obviously an expectation that the general gaming public would receive those announcements better than they did, so some marketer somewhere miscalculated, but often times these games are being developed for a parallel demographic or are trying to achieve different goals. I bet Diablo on mobile does extremely well, especially in overseas markets.

To answer your question more directly, though, yes, there are usually at least a few people internally who predict how these things go, and it'd probably behoove the suit-levels to take stock of their decisions with the rest of a company more often, but alas.

I think I isolated the games with Bad Launches as being their own thing because they were poor in part due to economic realities of them not being finished, and I was trying to express that the other games I brought up had inherently undesirable design decisions that I think very early someone could have easily pointed at. I'm ignoring the DRM stuff because of course players don't want it and of course publishers do, it's not a design thing.

These people might have said things like "I think players of city builders are not going to enjoy running out of space or only being able to have one city" or "I think a bunch of people who are fans of fairly complex pc-based blizzard products to the extent they are willing to attend a convention about them will be distressed that the newest game in a beloved non-mobile series is not going to be on PCs". I suppose with fallout they could have said "I don't think there has ever been a game series renowned for it's single player RPG/narrative experience that has been successful as an MMO" or "have you guys heard of that elder scrolls online thing".

I would think you're correct that the mobile diablo does well in mobile-dominated markets (why else would developers bend over backwards to the demands of some of those governments), it just seems clear that the vocal majority in NA/Euro markets were going to have the response they did.

MJBuddy posted:

It's going to be hard not to get orphaned failure responses to this. Everyone thinks every bad idea is horrible after we know it had blowback.

A lot of time it's just contracts. You make an agreement, everyone tries their best (or maybe they don't) and at the end you have a thing so you release it because it cost money and you'll make money when you release it. Any amount of loss less than 100% is good.

Some of the stuff is services back end that can't just be turned off. Which is kinda in the category of contracts in that you committed to something and the result is worse than you want but it's done.

Yeah this is the kinda thing I was mostly giving a pass to cyberpunk/fallout 76 about. It's easy to see even from the outside how things get set in motion and end up the way they did.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in on what I ignorantly thought would be a very simple and nearly redundant question. I'm surprised that there are such different views on it from people inside the industry and I've really learned a lot from reading the last page or so of discussion.

MissMarple posted:

I'd argue the inverse is even more common; games developed where the team top to bottom absolutely love the IP and/or genre, but there is absolutely no business case for it to exist. The difference is that the former mistake is more commonly made with a lot of advertising behind it, and the latter without.
Ideally any title sits in the perfect trifecta of “is an idea the team want to develop”, “is an idea the team is capable of developing”, and “is an idea worthy of developing”. But more often it’s a case of pick two.

I worry that the group that broke from blizzard to form Frost Giant is going to run into this. I love RTS (and especially the prototypical 'blizzard RTS') but I worry that myself and the 17 other middle aged people that feel this way aren't going to be enough to make their project successful.

I bolded a section of this quoted post - Do you people think it's possible for shareholder-backed production teams to hit all three of these? I feel like the involvement of shareholders in creative enterprises such as the production of media serves to limit the amount of risk the producers are willing to take, and that must always affect how interesting to the dev team the ideas are, and maybe how worthy of development the project becomes. I suspect the opposite is true the smaller the organization is - a small team of self-selected passionate indie people are maybe more likely to have unique risky ideas that could be very successful or could fall flat.

In the case of the big shareholder-associated annual sequel AAA games (Battlefront/CoD, Madden, etc) I guess all three points are satisfied. You have a team of people who are already working on these projects, are comfortable in the space artistically and with the tools they use, are demonstrably capable of producing a good product, and are happy to keep churning out the product in an iterative fashion so that they can pay their mortgage, build their portfolios, move into management and hire new graduates, etc.

Maybe shareholder involvement improves these types of projects by enabling the onboarding of a large enough team and the budget for the marketing, but hurts the development of new IP by limiting risktaking?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

what's a good engine to make a 2d game? Still unity? I haven't messed around in game dev for a number of years and I've been getting a little itch again

Yep unity is great for that still.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

literally this big posted:

A group of toxic players got together to review-bomb our game on Steam. We're a small multiplayer-only MMO RTS, so something like this can really effect us. Together they took our rating down from Positive down to Mixed.

poo poo like:

(Note the player has 300+ hours on record, including 80+ hours in the last two weeks, and almost 40 hours added since the time of review just a few days ago)

And another one that was so abusive that Steam took it down.

So these players, who continue to play, are doing this, coordinated, purely out of spite, to detract from our game, a 100% free game, that they continue to play.

Someone please commiserate with me.

Let us know what game it is and you won't need commiseration.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

literally this big posted:

Our game is Europe In Ruins. It's existed in some form since 2007, but we launched on Steam last year.

I didn't realize it was a mod, I don't own CoH unfortunately but thought maybe I'd be able to run it for a few hours then leave a positive review. Instead I got this dialogue box which is pretty funny.

e: Oh looks like if I leave up the window that calls me a dumbass it counts as the game running. Sweet. I hope other goons in the thread can toss you a positive review doing the same to offset your idiot reviewbombs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mustang posted:

What kind of work do MBAs that get hired by big video game companies do? I've been a huge video game nerd my whole life and I'm starting my MBA next month here in Seattle. I noticed some recent graduates went on to work in some of the local video game companies which peaked my interest since I was originally planning on just pivoting into the tech industry. My previous work experience is mostly as an Army officer.

Mostly they help shift paradigms to evolve new agile solutions for pivoting to what exciting new challenges lay ahead, moving forward with that piece.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

more falafel please posted:

We got a bunch of alpha kits for Big Console B back at the beginning of last generation, and they were just PCs in regular tower cases. They didn't want them back, which meant we got a free build farm once we got the beta kits.

How big of a studio do you have to be for the console companies to provision you with alpha builds for dev?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

more falafel please posted:

Trials HD practically shut down Midway Chicago for at least a week. N+ was the other big one.

That's awesome to hear. My cousin and his long time partner are the two devs behind N/N+/N++. It wouldn't surprise me if a few people in this thread knew them personally.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I saw something on their twitter saying only 19 people have 'finished' N++ which seems crazy for a game everyone seems to know.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I Love You! posted:

Hi not sure we're still taking applications but feel free to add me to the Answerers section if y'all want. I'm an Esports Product Manager which means I design and lead esports and competitive influencer/creator programs and have worked for some industry big dawgs (i.e. Blizzard) and touched on a whole lot of stuff. As a product lead I also work a LOT with game design teams and marketing teams and variously contribute to/am privy to decision-making by those teams as well.

I don't know if anyone cares but I can try to answer questions on:
  • Getting into the industry
  • Competitive design and intersection with esports
  • Leagues and esports programs
  • Influencer strategy and such
  • Good and bad decisions
  • Industry trends
  • RTS games in particular
  • A lot of other boring stuff

I don't have time to trawl through 69 pages of previous questions but I'll try to keep reasonable tabs on this thread going forward in case anyone finds these things interesting.

Do you feel eSports have hurt or helped smaller studios who may feel a need now to make their game into a competitive platform to appease producers/publishers?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tricky Ed posted:

It's also absolutely true that my team has passed on prospects because they were clearly only seeking this job because the place they wanted to be wasn't hiring at their level. If you're applying at a studio, make sure to at least play a game they have and be able to say intelligent things about it, and try to talk more about the place you're applying to than the place you really want to work in your interview.

We had multiple people who we told after the phone screener "Please download and play our game before your interview," and most of them didn't bother. Unsurprisingly none of those people got the job. We did hire people who weren't fans of our games, but they all at least played them and were able to discuss their experience outside of a framework of "this is how your game differed from the game I actually like."

I always wondered about this because it seems like if you're hiring for xyz studio position you don't just want someone who LOVES one game you made 5 years ago. I get that often people hire from communities and stuff like that but generally I always thought candidates with excellent portfolios would be more strongly considered over someone with a weaker portfolio who just desperately wants to work at your shop.

Or is there such a number of people wanting to work in games that you end up with excellent portfolios no matter what and you're relatively picky?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MJBuddy posted:

Absolutely not. At least not for anything even mildly technical. We do get lots of people applying for jobs who tell us what great game ideas they have though.

Do you think people go into postsecondary education for those technical positions with the idea to work in games but end up finding some other passion in that field so you get fewer game-centric technical people? Vs just someone daydreaming about games all day with Great Ideas and taking some one year design program or something?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yes but I thought the reason games doesn't pay was because the supply of people wanting to be in the industry vastly outweighs the demand. If that isn't the reason, and the incentive to complete projects on time is as big a deal as it is, why doesn't that urgency translate into higher wages like you see in industries of similar economic size?

I know crunch exists and often is the avenue taken instead of assembling an appropriately resourced team for the understood deadline, but economists in these bigger companies (where I expect salary standards are mostly established?) must be pulling their hair out.

Is the missing piece that other industries unionize more?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jelly posted:

I don't know if this is an appropriate spot for this, if there's a better one maybe a kind goon could point me that way. Wasn't sure it warranted it's own thread, or if you're even allowed to make threads in games that aren't about a specific game.

Motion Sickness(+) problems

Background: I am prone, that is no mystery. Have issues riding in the back-seat of a car. Have to take appropriate precautions on smaller boats. VR is all but impossible for me. This issue is slightly different in physical nature as I'm not sure I would qualify it as feeling sick. Gives me the spins, if bad enough it puts me on the floor like I'm insanely drunk until it subsides. This has only happened around a half dozen times while gaming, ever. Googling it suggests motion sickness.

I'm in my 40's and I've been surrounded by computers and gamed my entire life, it is easily a top 3 passion. In all these years and all these games I can only think of three that have given me this reaction, but I'm sure there were a few more:

1. Conan Hall of Volta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05iv2TXd3to
2. Donkey Kong Country on SNES
3. Ruined King: A League of Legends Story on PS5 (PS4 version)

This latest is the newest and as you can see, it's been a long time since Donkey Kong Country. I have a theory on what is causing this and I'm wondering if there is maybe a discussion on making these things toggleable for motion sensitive individuals.

There seems to be a common element in these three games. Conan was a long time ago but if I recall correctly it had larger maps which would scroll around when jumping. Donkey Kong Country had a background that scrolled at a different speed than the foreground (I avoided games that did this afterward, and there were a lot). For Ruined King, it took an extended session (2-3 hours) after a lot of shorter playing sessions to trigger a response. I'm trying to think about what could have done it and I'm landing on those frequent cinematic moments when the camera breaks off to take in a locale.

It just seems, and maybe I'm being presumptuous, that it may not be too difficult to create a toggle to simply remove these features for those who are more sensitive to them. In the case of Ruined King, they're not necessary, but if they were, you could allow the player to control the camera. I guess another question is, is there any study for causes or other consideration for this in the gave development world? It's deterring enough that I'm having a difficult time loading up Ruined King again after the incident.

It sounds like you're describing parallax and without it a lot of 2d environments would feel extremely strange to move through. Maybe the effect is exaggerated in those games.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

I have no idea where to ask so I'll ask here.

My girlfriend asked me about investing in Fig portfolio shares. Apparently they're a sort of micro-invest kickstarter, where you don't just fund a game by buying it but buying shares into it. Fig apparently were the funding mechanism behind Psychonauts 2 and Outer Wilds. Now they are seeking for investors not in a specific project, but in a package of them -- sort of like a game development fund. She is interested and she's asking me for advice but I'm struggling with anything.

Anyone heard about this? Any opinions?

https://republic.com/fig-portfolio?utm_source=newsletter_fig&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=fps_public&follow=true

I think the entire proposition is a little bit odd. But then again I wouln't have predicted the success of crowdfunding in general, either. If I read their pitch correctly, they haven't funded anything or anything profitable since 2019 which I don't understand.

Is she coming at this because she sees it as a great investment vehicle (it isn't) or is her goal to support developers? If it's the latter I guess go wild but she should probably take a look at the expected returns. My guess is that she'd be sitting with who knows how much money in some project that barely breaks even 4 years late and she just gets back pretty much what she put into it and doesn't get any of the upside that money could have been generating in a passive index ETF over that time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If it's one thing I'm pretty happy about is that no matter how much I gently caress some code up, it's not going to kill anyone. I'd go nuts working in a field like medical or aeronautics or something of that nature.

Just to provide context I work in the medical field, now in clinical informatics but previously in critical care as a respiratory therapist, a position with a ton of decision making and one in which we do stuff like intubate people, resuscitate infants, etc. I don't think any of us feel a lot of the stress you're describing after working for a year or so. I'm more stressed now in my informatics position where I feel like half the time I'm not exactly sure what's expected of me, what I should be doing, who is responsible for what, etc.

In clinical work if you gently caress up you (generally) see the result pretty quick (minor changes in condition that you can reverse very quickly and easily) and many/most of the decisions being made exist within a grey spectrum where the wrong choice isn't going to have significant consequences in 99% of cases. You can see this in the way that two clinicians will almost never arrive at exactly the same ventilator settings, or when ICU physicians change over weekly/biweekly they'll almost always change the care in some way of nearly every patient that's in there. I suspect there are similarities in software development/game design - there's no way that two people would end up with exactly the same code but the needs get met regardless.

I've voiced this previously in here when the topic of "Important Jobs" has come up, but the only reason to live in the first place is to engage with things that you enjoy, mostly art, culture, family, etc in it's various forms, regardless of whether or not someone realizes that's what they're doing. I therefore think that the act of creating that kind of thing (maybe not families) is at least as 'important' as keeping someone alive. In short, you wouldn't go nuts working in healthcare with us, you'd find it uncomfortable how much of 'just the job' it becomes, if anything. I can't speak to aeronautics but the dev of Darkest Dungeon previously was on the cutting edge skunk works aeronautical engineering team at Lockheed Martin and went into games after, so that probably tells you something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Would you (experienced devs) recommend doing a vertical slice type of approach for a small game with a few systems or work on it chronologically or?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MJBuddy posted:

What do you want to do with it?

Like, distinctly are you making this for yourself as a hobby, as a potential income stream, as a business you'd like to start, etc?

This is not game dev advice insomuch as it's just planning advice: I tend to work backwards from my goals. I don't think that's necessarily aligned with making a creative output, so I'd try to work from both sides and see where you can get them to meet.

Chernabog posted:

I used to make a lot of small (educational) games and the game dev process always started with a core gameplay prototype that I would build upon. After that it would turn into more of a vertical slice thing but still prioritizing gameplay over everything else.

Thanks. I'm just learning and I'm not at the point where it's a good use of time to put things together that I'm trying to figure out individually. No concrete goals here, I just want to explore the space and do little projects that make me happy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MJBuddy posted:

Only if you have an Ivy League MBA and no relevant experience.

I once shifted the paradigm to an agile model while pivoting to disrupt novel sectors in the web 3.0 space

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DrunkPanda posted:

I have a question for game devs in general:

Why do games suck so much these days? It seems like the only decent games that come out now are remakes/remasters of old games that were actually good

I'm not in game dev but wanted to offer my guess which is that it's the same reason movies are trash - a lot of these companies have gone public and are beholden to shareholders. The willingness to take risks is hugely down because they realize they can just churn out the same poo poo as always with flavour of the week variations (battle royale, loot boxes, crafting, survival) and make a garunteed return. Think Fallout 4.

I think another big thing would be the way that marketing and PR control decision-making. They're always going to want to minimize risk and maximize return and I'm guessing very few of them care much about the games. We've all heard the budgets for these AAA titles are 50% marketing so I'm sure they get quite an elevated seat at the table if they aren't directly beside the decision makers with their filthy loving rasputin mouths up to the queen's ear.

Good games are out there! Just getting harder to stumble across as everything gets pigeonholed into genre bins. Curious if the actual game devs will tell me I'm wrong, I hope so.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

OzyMandrill posted:

Don't do what I did and tell them why their latest game sucked, not knowing that the guy sitting awkwardly next to the main interviewer was the lead designer of said game. I did not get asked back for a second round.

Why bother showing up to an interview if you're going to do that? Might as well stay home.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

smarxist posted:

World of Warcraft around the MoP era was where it seemed like the default hand holding started getting insane, I remember dropping into the quest hubs, scooping up all the tasks and just having marching ant lines to orderly numbered marks that were well optimized to drag you through the content as swiftly as can be without the possibility that you'd have to think for even a second about anything

in the earlier days you at least referenced the dang map a bit, explored off the fog of war and followed roads, confirmed in the quest text that this is where you were supposed to be, it wasn't much, but it was some engagement of synapses, the skinner boxifying just slowly consumed all thought, adventure and skill, the only thing that matters now is Gear Score Go Up

I think people were using 3rd party tools to do the same thing so they just wanted to take that internal.

TBH I'd love a game that is just the raiding element of MMOs without having to grind to max rank first.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

drkeiscool posted:

hi hello how do i learn to make video game

I’m wanting to eventually make an rts game like command and conquer or StarCraft as a learning experience (so not really for selling), but other than hearing that something unity is a good place to start, I have no experience or knowledge on where to begin. What’s a good place to look and learn?

This was recommended to me I think in this thread, and it's been great. It's frequently discounted like it is now I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I assure you this wasn't a case of stalking and more a case of me recognizing you from speedrun/GDQ stuff.

Nevermind that I'm also replying to your post here too oh god maybe I am stalking you and I just haven't realized it yet

Uhh

Anyway teams sucks and we used to use store-brand Slack but we moved away from it and I don't know why! It was much better than teams, which is just the worst.

Can both of you please get off SA on work hours and get the deliverables (you know which ones) to UX so they aren't sending me thirty emails a day about the missing assets, thanks.