Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

leper khan posted:

Lots of architectural practices abandoned elsewhere years ago, like extensive [often exclusively for all state] use of singletons, is prevalent.

Can anyone expand on this? I read somewhere that ECS was the prevalent way of doing things (as opposed to MVC like most of the rest of the dev universe) and my slight experience with Unity seemed to confirm that. What are the major developer differences between games and other industries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

snowshovelboy posted:

The only way to really make it load smoothly is to time how long it takes and move the bar over time, instead of having it show the actual loading progress. I shamefully admit I have shipped a console game that worked this way.

machine learning-integrated loading bars

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

leper khan posted:

The level of maths knowledge needed for games is always incredibly overblown.

If you can get through high school trig, collegiate linear algebra, introduction to discrete, and something with proofs you're good.

If you've done significant research into cutting edge maths, it probably hurts more than it helps. No one in games cares that the axiom of choice leads to a coordinated solution to the hat problem. You'll cheat on the priors way before you need to involve complex math.

I would guess the "big maths" bit is when you get into more senior positions/more complicated projects in your personal and suddenly need to know how to make your engine do things that don't come prepackaged out of the box.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Tangentally off the server question, how does game server communication actually work? My dev career so far has been exclusively RESTful CRUD servers with like 200ms response times and I've always wondered what the paradigms are when your job is to be responsive at the reflex level rather than at the "waiting for a web page to load" level. I know vaguely that you're sending the absolute minimal client deltas (at least that's how they explained it in the source engine video I saw), and I'd guess you're doing the absolute barest minimum serialization/deserialization at the communications layer, but beyond that it's one hundred percent black box.