Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Chewbot posted:

...Unity's 2D support is half-baked at best and regarding Unreal, I had an actual UE developer tell me not to use Paper2D or Flipbook because it's being phased out.

Well I dearly hope that's not completely true, given that they have promised to support it (even though they're not developing it actively).

I'm currently working on a game in UE4 using Paper 2D liberally, and have ported a game to UE4 using Paper2D and it absolutely works. You can tell that Epic aren't using it themselves, sure. The workflow isn't amazing or anything. But we haven't had any showstopper issues or anything that we haven't been able to solve ourselves/with the help of Epic developers via Twitter. Performance is good too!

I selfishly wish Epic would revive Jazz Jackrabbit in 2D, as that would probably lead to some amazing 2D tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Chewbot posted:

I didn't get the impression they intend to strip out those features but I can verify they don't plan to support it forever or continue developing the 2D tech which was added by "literally one guy who was passionate about it that doesn't work at Epic anymore". They're phasing out other stuff slowly to replace with newer versions: Cascade is also being phased out and replaced by Niagara, Matinee is being sunset and wrapped into Montage. I don't know exactly when all of this is going down, probably slowly over a long period. To clarify, his recommendations are based on our studio starting a completely new project with the current state of UE, I'm sure continuing to develop with existing UE tech is perfectly viable.

Alright, interesting. Thanks for the clarification! I didn't know he no longer worked at Epic, but yeah it was very clear from working with Paper2D for just a month that it was literally just him. Sad though, the engine is so god drat good in so many areas I really don't want to have to look for another one for 2D games. Guess we can always keep working on our own Paper2D fork, it's not like it's getting harder to work with Unreal.

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's what we've used in our games for a while now; Heist and Dig2 use rigid skeletal animation, Quest has vertex-blended skeletal animation, both with texture switches at appropriate times to do things like perspective or facial expressions or whatever.

Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only Gothenburgian gamedev goon around! :) I second the love for Steamworld - Dig 2 is my favorite Switch game!