Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You won't get blacklisted for applying without whatever it is the company is looking for. And for all you know you'll be a perfect fit.

This is how I got my first industry job! I applied for a gameplay engineer position at ArenaNet, didn't get it but they passed on my resume to the tools team, who hired me on. I've been doing tools professionally for the last 5 years now!

Also, hi everyone, I am industrygoon too. I currently work at System Era Softworks, creators of Astroneer after getting laid off from Anet early 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is taxonomist/digital librarian/some-other-term a thing at game companies?

My wife is an academic librarian and was tipped off from a friend about a job at The Pokemon Company for a taxonomist. They wanted someone to organize their data, manage workflows, admin their gameplay databases to maximize utility for designers, etc. She got through a competitive interview process but they ended giving the job to another candidate because they had greater TCG experience. She's a video gamer and hadn't ever really played TCGs but she tried to cram once she applied. Though she didn't try to front with them and was honest about her TCG experience.

Is this position common or was it a one off at Pokemon?

It's not unheard of, but only for companies/franchises that have been around for ages. I interned at Blizzard in my college days and they had that same kind of position there, as well. Pokemon makes a lot of sense for that kind of thing.