Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Why are video game prices standardized? Theres $60 crappy games like sports games that are nearly identical to previous versions while outstanding games like Witcher 3 and GTA 5 cost the same. They really should be priced based on how much they cost to make and how much people are willing to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Also NES games in the late 80’s retailed for $35. Thats about $77 in todays money. Most of those games probably costed less than $300k to make.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The human cost of Red Dead Redemption 2

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-25-the-human-cost-of-red-dead-redemption-2

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I worked for Blizzards helpdesk just before Diablo 3 came out. They put us in a separate building than the developers, because they were too good to be under the same roof as us lowly peasants.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Falcorum posted:

Not to play devil's advocate but it's unlikely that they gave a poo poo about "being too good" and more likely due to lack of space. Having everyone in your company at the same location is nice but may not always be feasible (the studio I work at was split over 3 buildings at one point for example).

Maybe, but I doubt it. I dont blame them. The developers are typically older and more educated, and the help desk people are younger and more awkward, which could have lead to many awkward moments at the water cooler and lunch room. Plus Blizzard was the bees knees at the time so the developers probably thought the gaming industry was worshipping their balls. We werent even good enough to be put in the basement like the red stapler guy from Office Space.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

How come food in games always looks n64 quality? You can have a game that has incredible graphics and attention to detail like RDR2, but when you see characters eating a plate of food it looks blocky as hell.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Japan understands the importance of presentation and aesthetics with food. They double wrap relatively inexpensive bags of cookies. They use beautiful handmade organic paper and nice ribbons to wrap boxes of sweets. Entrees are always come on their own separate plate. More garnishing is used. Portions are smaller, so the quality is higher, so you appreciate it more. Nicer restaurants have individual dining rooms so you have privacy and dont need to listen to other peoples stupid and boring small talk. And despite their custom of not tipping, service is always better than in the US.

But I do want to get that final fantasy game so I can play the cup noodles quest.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is it possible to learn software development skills if you suck at math really hard, not even getting past Algebra?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thanks for all the replies. I can write code. I used to make BASIC programs on my Commodore 64, and i've done a little HTML in IT. But anything beyond basic mathematics, I was hoping that currently its all embedded in tools and scripts to do it for me, at least in a junior, entry level position. I have a problem with memory retention. I learn best on my own, teaching myself. That's what i've done for IT certifications, and my other interests. But i'm horrible when taking courses and learning from textbooks. I know that they are making new programs to teach people coding in creative and engaging ways. So if anyone knows a good one that applies to game development, let me know.

I'd like to do development for porting games, and eliminating bugs. Quality control stuff. I'd like to do what Satoru Iwata was doing in the trenches, before he became the bigwig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I don’t know how many people share my opinion, but I think the writing in 99% of games are trash. Even most games that people say has really good writing like Halo, I could have disabled the dialogue and enjoyed the game no less. The writing is almost always cliche, and bland, instead of being inspired and thought provoking.

But thats okay with me for most genres of games, because I enjoy them to be immersed in the games world, and to be engaged by the gameplay, being challenged by puzzles, and hooked in with item collecting, and to enjoy other things like the score, and visual style, etc.

Wouldn’t it be a good idea of game producers and publishers contracted acclaimed authors from outside the gaming industry to write some of these games? Or do this more often? The reason Witcher 3 has an outstanding story and writing is because it came directly from an excellent novel.

Or is it just a matter of cost? They don’t have the budget to hire Steven King to write the next Telltale game.