Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

And Epic fessed up it was a quickly done, early prototype implementation that shouldn't have shipped. The EGS launcher is indeed a pile of hacks with shoddy UI.

But calling what that quick implementation does "spying" is a disingenuous leap of logic, and the fact that it gets trotted out repeatedly despite multiple technical breakdowns disproving it is just a testament to how impossible it is to reason with the anti-EGS crowd.

Accidental spying is still spying.

Also, :lol: of course it's the customers fault for not listening to multiple technical explanations as to why spying isn't spying

To be more clear, if people react emotionally to this, coming at them with pure logic will just make you look like you're defending Epic. This situation is like someone catching their neighbor in their apartment after he accidentally fell through the window, and then suddenly Defendor, Lord of Logic breaks through their wall to explain to them that calling the police isn't necessary.

Well yeah poo poo it isn't, but this approach still won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Stick100 posted:

They didn't spy, they grabbed a file in preparation for you to be able to add the users to your friends' list. Yes, they should have waited until the user asked but they didn't do anything with it. These mistakes happen all the time if you think poo poo like this isn't happening in every single piece of software/service you use you're wrong. The only reason we know/care is because people wanted to dislike something about the EGS.

For me, and I suspect for other people to, the causality was reversed: We saw EGS getting caught, and started disliking them for this dumb bullshit.

And I'm pretty sure if other services get caught with this kind of thing in the future, they'll face backlash, too. It's not about EGS especially, just that they happen to be the first who got caught.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jan posted:

Really? Because to me, it appears you dislike the very idea of EGS and choose to pick apart everything that they do in a negative light, ignoring evidence that doesn't support your viewpoint. Everything about your "contributions" to this thread so far indicate this:

You imagine a lot of effort on my part that just isn't there. But technically, you're right, I despise poo poo like EGS, but since Steam and stuff are sometimes really convenient I still use them. Every additional weird game shop/launcher thing I encounter has a growing uphill battle ahead of it, and EGS just had the bad luck to arrive at the point where I'm already rather not play a game then install that poo poo.

Also my contributions are like 2-3 mostly short posts on the matter, so there's not much "picking apart everything" and :lol: at the idea that I have to sift hours of evidence before I'm allowed to make a couple sarcastic remarks.

But the posts you've been hallucinating instead of mine do sound interesting, I wish I had actually done all that poo poo you're accusing me of.

quote:

As a matter of fact, yes, it's the customer's fault! But this is not the EGS customer hate bandwagon thread, it's the Ask a Game Dev thread. Which is why devs have been saying that mistakes happen, implementations change, and this is not unique to game development by any means.

I know most gamers are insane, but if it is your idea that every customer has to do a couple hours of IT research or it's their fault if a program is doing something suspicious, then I don't think that will turn out to be a defensible position. Except from the view point of "Let's beat insanity with insanity!"

quote:

It looks like I'm defending Epic because that's precisely what I'm doing. Do I think the EGS as it is is a perfect implementation? No, it's not. But just like any game or online game storefront, it can be improved. Improvement comes from constructive discussions and valid criticism, not from latching on a single non-issue and then dismissing absolutely everything else as a result, which is pretty much what you admitted to doing.

I'm slowly getting the feeling you confuse me with someone else, or why do you continue to conjure up some kind of mad strawman angrily punching his keyboard? How do you even get so far up your own rear end in response to someone going "What EGS did was bad"? Do you think I'm secretly plotting Epic's demise with my magic internet desintegration powers?

quote:

If you're going to deal in lovely metaphors, at least use one that's appropriate to the situation. "Falling through the window" is home invasion, which is hardly on the same level as caching a friends list file and then doing nothing with it.

If you have valid observations or questions to bring up, do share. Otherwise, the hate bandwagon thread is that a way.

This is so tone deaf I don't even know how to respond to this. You do remember this thread is still part of a comedy forum, right?

Guys, here's someone who reads the words "Defendor, Lord of Logic" and somehow concludes I am not only 100% serious, but also 100% literal with my lovely metaphor. :confused:

To explain this to you in tiny, easily understandable words: If I had used a more "appropriate" metaphor, I couldn't have had a comic book hero breaking through a wall to give a dumb lecture to two random people, so I had to kind of reach around mentally and the accidental home invasion was the best my dumb brain could come up with. Also, just in case, I did this because I found this to be really funny, not because I was seriously believing the problem in question is on the same level from a pure legal standpoint, you giant shithead.

quote:

e: Hell, even with valid observations and questions, I don't think any of us work at Epic in this thread, let alone on EGS specifically, so not much we can do besides shake our heads and just be glad we're not the ones on the receiving end of the gamer hate mob (this time). I had my fill of that with We Happy Few getting published by Gearbox.

And I had my fill from your condescending tone, so I'll set you to ignore, oh great defender of capitalism