Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Hello! I was pointed here to ask a technical question about Unity. I need to build a new PC, and I'm interested in getting started in Unity development. I was hoping to make something that would be good for working with without any serious issues, and I wasn't sure if I needed something beyond mid-range (like a $1000 build basically) to deal with, for example, unoptimized builds. I asked about this in the PC Building thread, and they said that as far as CPU/Graphics go there shouldn't be an issue, but the question of RAM was brought up, and they pointed me to this thread (directly, because I am bad at searching). I did a Google search and got kind of conflicting answers, so should I need anything beyond 16 gigs or is that plenty? The first proper game idea, as in not stuff being made to learn how to make what I actually want, could potentially need a lot of RAM in initial versions (basically it'd be a gigantic building the player would be smashing through walls, floors and ceilings to explore, and while there's probably plenty of memory tricks to drop resource requirements I'd probably leave that for after I do the design work to make the game fun first). Basically I don't know if Unity is a memory hog and if I should build for that. Thanks for any advice you might have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Yeah, that was the main concern, the development system is a memory hog. So basically it sounds like starting out I should be fine with just 16, but if I manage to get anywhere serious with it I should be looking to upgrade to at least 32. Someone also mentioned that if I wanted to run anything in tandem I'd need to consider more, but any asset work would probably be done outside of working on the game code itself so probably not. Okay, thank you for the help! Here's hoping the tutorials the tutorials for this are good, my brother seems to have some good ones lined up.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Flannelette posted:

32GB isn't that expensive these days and then you have overhead for most any memory hog stuff like having 3 monitor's worth of windows and a virtual machine open.
Higher than 32 is for if you need to render simulations which you probably won't be doing.

That's a good point, just testing stuff if it'll run correctly might get pretty involved. I'll go with 32 gigs then, already ordered 16 but from the looks of it I'm only really losing a few bucks buying 4 sticks of 8 instead of 2 sticks of 16, and if I somehow need to go higher I can use those for a smaller PC.