Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

They also cost between $5,000-$10,000 each depending on which one it is, and most standard business insurance will not cover an employee lugging that much kit to and fro. If you crash your car on the way to work and break one, that's a hefty bill to replace that your insurance will not help with. That alone is usually enough to make most managers rather twitchy. Besides, with decent broadband these days you can remote dev PS4/xbox devkits from home while they stay in the office as long as there's someone there to occasionally reboot something when it locks up good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Dewgy posted:

First console with hardware normal mapping support. :colbert:

(And I am pretty sure zero real world examples of it being used outside of tech demos lol)

First (and only) console with that lovely Toshiba(?) CPU that was the actual worst thing to optimise for, coming up against the first generation of consoles with proper HW transform. Yeah, it was an outdated crock of poo poo before the first production model even landed in a consumers hands.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 21, 2020

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

dads friend steve posted:

Fair enough. I had to implement a binary deserialization in C a bunch of years ago, and folks are right; it’s not hard. But it is enough of a pain in the rear end I’d avoid it if at all possible for something text based and human readable like JSON.

Of course that runs into its own kinds of scaling issues (YAML sucks, as does trying to zero in on the part of an 8000 line JSON file you care about using jq)
A game team might have 5-15 programmers, and the save game code will usually be assigned to one of the most junior...

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Kanine posted:

He's doing something interesting which I think is really cool, he's actually going 3d-modeling software agnostic, he's telling his students blender/max/maya/modo/zbrush/etc. are all acceptable and the first week will involve showing his students those 4 pieces of software and having them choose one to focus on.

If it's an industry focussed course then this worries me - Max/Maya are so entrenched, not knowing them will just lead to your CV going straight into the reject pile in the first cut.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I'd say to the original question - there's no such thing as a generic 'game engine'. You have graphics engines that take the art data and turn it into coloured pixels, but get all the glory when people thinkl about 'engines'. There's audio engines that track sounds/mix based on locations etc. and send to sound hardware. You have streaming engines that maintain a database of relevant data and try to pre-empt changes, physics engines that update object locations based on definable object parameters, and then typing these togethrer will be the game logic itself (sometimes referred to as THE game engine but is a miniscule part of the whole show in terms of CPU/GPU budget usually)
All of these then link together as they have to work on the same core data, so using unified parts from one 'Engine' that uses the same core data format is often the cheapest way to go, but certainly for AAA you would be expected to have at least one of these pieces customised to be bleeding-edge in some respect (or at least your marketing will say it is)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

On my last project we took had to take Unreal Engine (designed for single levels) and wedge a large (4kmx4km) streamed world onto it. It was a LOT of work and large parts of the Unreal had to be rewritten, but Microsoft was signing the wage bills so there was the money to throw at it. While the rendering layer is largely the same (except for optimisations), the way objects were loaded/saved/replicated had to be massively reworked.
There were many many parts of unreal that had to be redone for the situation, but what Unreal still added from day one was a very smooth art->world editor experience for the majority of the team that wasn't heads down in engine code. This is the main draw of Unreal, coding aside.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Don't do what I did and tell them why their latest game sucked, not knowing that the guy sitting awkwardly next to the main interviewer was the lead designer of said game. I did not get asked back for a second round.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

VelociBacon posted:

Why bother showing up to an interview if you're going to do that? Might as well stay home.

Well I didn't intend to do that going in, obviously, but I was young and dumb, and ran my mouth.
For reference, it was Killer Instinct Gold, which had just been utterly wiped out by Tekken 2

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Yeah, a whole chunk of 'difficulty' and insta death/three lives were based more around encouraging you to feed more coins in the machine than having 'fun'

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I've seen projects go wrong due to people insisting on feet not slipping, and burning years of effort trying to cope with all the possible edge cases. Nintendo 1st party games have never given 2 shits about feet slipping, and it hasn't held them back much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

People also suck at determining what is happening to themselves. They only remember the information that confirms their biases.
I have a couple of web/mobile card games that have been untouched since before 2010. They are as random as I can make them, using system clock milliseconds to seed pseudo random code that does a fake shuffle on the cards, I even tested 100 random draws is some stats thing over a decade ago, and it was good enough. yet without fail, a few times a year we get a mostly caps rant about how the latest update* has changed the rules and we now cheat, it's not fair, either they win all games now or it's too easy, etc.
You cant win.

*occasionally we recompile with latest libs else we get kicked off the store.