Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Necrothatcher posted:

Hey Resident Evil 6 the only way I'm not seeing this "6" is if I literally turn my monitor off.

- Max Brightness

- Min Brightness

Why does this persist in games? I got a calibrated display and I've played whole bunch of games where if I followed that as they say the whole game will be way too dark. Never experienced one where I couldn't make the thing disappear though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Why don't serious racing game devs just use sound effect libraries for specific car sounds like engine, exhaust, turbo noises etc instead of recording sounds from scratch? My composer/sound designer friend who just graduated thought it was dumb that they wouldn't just use pre-recorded packs. I think they're probably not good enough? Idk, I've never checked what's really in those packs.
Libraries for specific cars such as these: https://pole.se/product/nissan-r33-skyline-1997/

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

leper khan posted:

For racing games in particular, they may not want to sound exactly like another racing game. Particularly at the high end.
But racing games aspire to be as authentic as possible to please car nerds, so wanting to have different sounding audio for a real-world car would be silly.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

nielsm posted:

I'm quite sure there are racing fans who buy games for their car sounds, so it makes sense to make that one part to make your game stand out.
I don't know about buying games for sounds alone, but there are some games with laughably bad car sounds. Gran Turismo used to be memed about for their vacuum cleaner engine sounds (I heard they massively improved it in the latest release though) and newest Forza uses 4 cylinder engine sounds for V8's or something.

nielsm posted:

On the other hand, if your game just has vehicles to drive, like an FPS with driving sections, it totally makes sense to license a sound pack.
Completely agreed, especially since most of the time those are fictional cars with unknown engine configurations anyway.

repiv posted:

might be an issue of consistency? the big racing titles have 500+ cars and it's probably not possible to source all of their sounds from the same supplier or recording process, unless they do it in house
Yeah, it's very expensive to record car audio if you want to do it properly. You might already have the expertise and equipment to do it, but you still have to actually find and rent the car to record which can be really difficult and find a location suitable for recording. It takes a lot of time and if you have that many cars it's just infeasible to record them yourself.
You can't find sound libraries for all the cars either so it seems quite complicated to me.
I think I'm just gonna contact some audio designers who have worked on racing games to ask about it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

nielsm posted:

I have definitely read blog posts from the Euro Truck Simulator team about going out to record sounds from specific truck models, and ditto for Train Simulator content developers.

Ya, I've read blog posts about Dirt Rally 1/2 and Forza Horizon 5 recording sessions when those games were in development c:
I'm sorry if it seemed like I meant that it's too expensive or time consuming to record at least some amount of vehicles for those big studios.